128 (Operation Armageddon: Bo...

Od ZapZac27

A typical missing persons investigation rapidly turns into a chain of unfortunate and life-claiming events as... Více

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One: The Transfer | Part 2
Chapter Two: The Pace's House | Part 1
Chapter Two: The Pace's House | Part 2
Chapter Three: The Precinct Lockdown | Part 1
Chapter Three: The Precinct Lockdown | Part 2
Chapter Four: The Assassin | Part 1
Chapter Four: The Assassin | Part 2
Chapter Five: The Museum Visit | Part 1
Chapter Five: The Museum Visit | Part 2
Chapter Six: The Bomb | Part 1
Chapter Six: The Bomb | Part 2
Chapter Seven: The Protection Programme | Part 1
Chapter Seven: The Protection Programme | Part 2
Chapter Eight: The Traitor | Part 1
Chapter Eight: The Traitor | Part 2
Chapter Nine: The Rescue Operation | Part 1
Chapter Nine: The Rescue Operation | Part 2
Chapter Nine: The Rescue Operation | Part 3
Chapter Ten: The Contagion | Part 1
Chapter Ten: The Contagion | Part 2
Chapter Eleven: The Trial | Part 1
Chapter Eleven: The Trial | Part 2
Chapter Twelve: The Pretrial Detainee | Part 1
Chapter Twelve: The Pretrial Detainee | Part 2
Chapter Thirteen: The Quarantine | Part 1
Chapter Thirteen: The Quarantine | Part 2
Chapter Fourteen: The Ward | Part 1
Chapter Fourteen: The Ward | Part 2
Chapter Fifteen: The Flash Drive | Part 1
Chapter Fifteen: The Flash Drive | Part 2
Chapter Sixteen: The Metro Station | Part 1
Chapter Sixteen: The Metro Station | Part 2
Chapter Seventeen: The Epicentre | Part 1
Chapter Seventeen: The Epicentre | Part 2
Chapter Eighteen: The Exodus | Part 1
Chapter Eighteen: The Exodus | Part 2
Chapter Nineteen: The Apartment | Part 1
Chapter Nineteen: The Apartment | Part 2
Chapter Twenty: The Plan | Part 1
Chapter Twenty: The Plan | Part 2
Chapter Twenty-One: The Tower | Part 1
Chapter Twenty-One: The Tower | Part 2
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Evidence | Part 1
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Evidence | Part 2
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Signal | Part 1
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Signal | Part 2
Chapter Twenty-Four: The End of the Beginning | Part 1
Chapter Twenty-Four: The End of the Beginning | Part 2
Epilogue
Sequel

Chapter One: The Transfer | Part 1

158 21 17
Od ZapZac27

"So, it seems like the Allentown PD needs our help. Crime's getting pretty rampant there," NYPD detective Matthew Blake Davis shared an official crime statistics report to his colleagues: Daniel Washington, Megan Stewart and Emily Anne Watson.

"What is happening to them? I thought there was a recent mass recruitment programme to improve their task force?" Daniel questioned.

Matthew shook his head in dissent. "Remember the scandal back in March? Many of the recruits—even some from the older batches—took bribes from an anonymous figure. They have been caught now, and their force is barely more than half-strength or so."

Megan sighed as she slowly lowered herself onto a stool. The evening traffic noises clouded up a bit of their conversation, but they still sounded coherent. Megan looked through her phone for details about their temporary move to Allentown. "We'll be leaving on May 11, two days from now. The flight's at 7 am. That's it, I guess."

As usual, Emma displayed her typical unresponsive behaviour and continued to scroll through her Instagram feed. She never really found the need to listen to whatever was going on in the conversation anyway.

"All right, see you guys at the airport on Monday morning," Matthew said as the group of friends dispersed.

After much driving and waiting in traffic, Matthew arrived at Columbus Circle. As he parked his car, Matthew grabbed his pouch and water bottle, preparing to step out of the vehicle. As the elevator stopped in the basement just in time for him to catch it, he entered it, waiting to be brought up to his floor.

When the doors slipped open, he rushed out of it, immediately moving towards his apartment because he had finally managed to get home and rest after half a day of work. He extracted his keycard out of his wallet and tapped it on the keycard lock before pushing open the door.

"Uncle!" his niece, Amelia, rejoiced as she dashed over to see her favourite uncle.

"Hey, sweetie!" Matthew grinned as he squatted down and carried her. Matthew looked at his mother and nodded. "Thanks for taking care of her, Mum."

His mother flapped down her hand. "No problem, son. I'll be back on Monday," she said, grabbing her purse as she got ready to leave.

"Actually... I'll need you to be here again for the whole of next week. Either that or I'll have to send Amelia to your place," Matthew scratched his head, feeling bad that he had to inconvenience his mother again.

His mother pursed her lips and tilted her head to the side as if she were saying, "All right then," in a reluctant manner.

"Everyone's playing the "hot potato" game with Amelia, huh? Jean had a business trip, and now you have a business trip," she mentioned in an attempt to guilt-trip Matthew a little.

"Sorry, Mother. Allentown PD needs us. I really wished Angel were still around. She... she was really good with children," Matthew exhaled woefully.

"It's all right, son. I'm sure you also do a great job of taking care of little Amy, just as Angelica would. Anyway, I'll still come over as usual on Monday," his mother heaved a sigh before leaving Matthew's apartment.

Matthew carried Amelia onto her bed. "Amy, I'm sorry that I need to be away next week. I'm leaving next Monday, and I will be back on Friday, okay? Your father will be back on Sunday night to pick you up, so enjoy your weekend stay here with grandma."

Amelia nodded her head, her smile still as pleased as ever. "Okay, uncle," she replied, grinning as she always did.

Matthew tucked her into her blanket and switched off her bedside lamp. "Good night," he whispered before walking out of her room. He then brought out fresh pyjamas from his closet and a towel as he headed to the bathroom for a shower. After freshening himself up, he put on his comfortable nightclothes and prepared for bed. Before sleeping, he would typically read a book for half an hour.

He had just begun reading Stephen King's Cujo. A horror novel about a dog contracting rabies through a bat bite. In the book, its namesake, Cujo, ended up killing people, contradicting his former good-natured behaviour. The infection had brought him against his will, and in the end, one of the main characters ended up killing him.

It was ironic that Matthew would have to deal with another form of rabies in just a matter of time.

* * *

Matthew's alarm rang raucously. As he woke up, he wondered for a moment why he had even set his usual alarm for a Sunday, but it didn't really matter to him. Seeing that Amelia was still asleep, he decided to get some breakfast for the both of them. Knowing that the café nearby should have already been opened, he changed into some casual clothing and left his house with a small pouch.

Matthew strolled through the pavement, leaving Columbus Circle, and headed south for the café. After a short walk, Matthew arrived. He peacefully slipped his coat off and hung it on a coat hanger provided at his table. However, in the distance, he could hear some aggrieved shouting. It sounded like it was coming from Drake, the son of the café owner, Joel Smith.

Matthew had already been friends with Joel for a while since he had begun living at Columbus Circle. He was one of the café's regulars.

Soon, he saw a tired Joel limping out of the kitchen and a vexed Drake screaming at him. "You've got into some deep shit again! I've lost count at this point. Can't you be better?" Drake blared some unreasonable, "spoiled brat" phrases.

"Son, I'm already doing my best. If you want to help, why don't you please find a part-time holiday job?" Joel sighed. Joel's suggestion only made Drake more provoked. Matthew could see his lips shaking in pure anger.

"You old hag. Just die already!" Drake blasted thunderously, causing Joel to go pale.

At this moment, Matthew was triggered by Drake's impulsive speech. He couldn't stand the nonsense that Drake was spouting anymore. He stepped up and slammed the table, shouting across the café. "Shut up! You don't know what it's like not to have a father."

Drake was stunned by Matthew's sudden reaction, but so were the rest of the café-goers. "What did you say?" Drake eyed Matthew, fire raging in his eyes.

"You better stop that and respect your father," Matthew scolded sternly. Drake's eyelids peeled open so much that they seemed to disappear. He walked over to Matthew slowly and intimidatingly.

"My father is a useless piece of crap that can't even provide enough!" Drake slowly ranted, intensity building up in his voice until he blew it all out. Some café-goers were frightened by the commotion, while others didn't enjoy the drama and instantaneously abandoned their food and left the café in an unsatisfied manner.

Matthew grabbed Drake on his collar menacingly. A perfect cliché. As expected, Drake was not daunted by such a "Hollywood" banality. In fact, he snickered, unable to take Matthew's words seriously.

Matthew ignored his reaction, reprimanding him, "Listen here, you brat. Learn to appreciate your father. No one lives on this earth forever. Not even your father. Not even you. You've only so much time left to take for granted these things. So, I pretty much suggest you shut your damn mouth up at this point."

Drake, still unconvinced, rolled his eyes and stomped out of the café, finally ending the drama. "Joel, are you okay?" Matthew walked over to the café owner and patted his shoulder.

Joel's lips quivered weakly, his expression fatigued. "What have I done to my son...?" he questioned himself.

"Give yourself a break. Don't bother about him. If he doesn't want to take the money you give him, then he shouldn't take anything," Matthew breathed.

Joel sat down on a barstool for a moment, seeing that there were barely any customers left. "It's not that I don't have the money for him," he shook his head.

Matthew frowned. "What do you mean?" Joel placed a hand on the countertop, shaking uncomfortably.

"He keeps wanting more. The more allowance I give him, the more he desires. To him, it's just never enough. I don't know how I modelled him into such an ungrateful child..." Joel phrased. "We always have arguments, but mostly one-sided ones. He's always throwing remarks at me, but I never do that to him. And I'm his father. If there was anyone that could reprimand one-sidedly, it should be me."

"Then, ignore him," Matthew snapped.

Joel stifled. "I can't. The reason why he's always shaming me is that I try to ignore him. He dares to slap and punch me now. Living under my roof. Leeching off my income. And that's all he ever does."

"That would be abuse. If this ever happens again, call the police. Or call me—I'm the police," Matthew stated.

Joel nodded sombrely. "There's not going to be much business for today, but I'll get back to work for now," he said as he got up and went back into the kitchen.

"Wait!" Matthew held up his hand.

Joel stopped and looked back. "You forgot that I came here to eat," Matthew shouted over, lifting Joel's spirits a little.

"Well, it's good to know I have a committed regular," he stated.

Joel then headed to the ordering station and asked, "What would you like?"

Matthew chuckled, enjoying the change of mood. "One ham and cheese sandwich and a bowl of porridge, please."

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

82.5K 5.8K 45
In a world overcome with disaster and chaos, Em sets out on a perilous journey to find safety. With only determination and perseverance to guide her...
102K 8.7K 31
•• Wattys 2018 Winner •• Wattpad Featured Story •• One day, a wind blew into the town of Millstone and didn't stop. Slowly people moved away. It was...
64.8K 10.9K 122
🌟WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST 🌟WATTYS 2023 FANS CHOICE AWARDS NOMINEE 🌟WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST 🌟Editor's Pick (Reading Radar) Feb 2024 🌟 Featured Wattpa...
84K 11.8K 59
When a mysterious and deadly virus sweeps across Europe, infecting millions, Hailey Rivera is plunged into a world of chaos. In the midst of her conf...