A Reckless Bet.

Door jane_maria

"I loved knowing she was scared of me. My insides were hurting from all the build up anger. It was all her fa... Meer

prologue
Ryder 1 - the graveyard
Everly 1 - the graveyard
Ryder 2 - shattered porcelain
Everly 2 - birthdaygifts
Ryder 3 - to agonize
Everly 3 - encounters
Ryder 4 - verbal fights
Everly 4 - nightmares
Ryder 5 - machinery shop
Everly 5 - new knowledge
Ryder 6 - she found out
Everly 6 - a conversation
Ryder 7 - talk it through
Everly 7 - what happened back then
drunken confessions
a new morning
Ryder 8 - a new start?
Everly 8 - a second chance?
Ryder 9 - caring
Everly 9 - doing the right thing
Ryder 10 - whatever will happen
Everly 10 - what it is
Ryder 11 - disturbing the peace
Everly 11 - crossing the line
poem I
Ryder 12 - everything was for nothing
Everly 12 - take out and problems
Everly 13 - car ride convo's
Ryder 14 - one step ahead
Everly 14.1 - telling my story
Everly 14.2 - i'm done with us
Ryder 15 - wanting to move on
Everly 15 - learning to deal
Ryder 16 - stranger things
Everly 16 - die for you
Ryder 17 - revalidation vs. worsening
away from home
Everly 17 - dealing with past feelings
you shouldn't interfere with me anymore
Ryder 18.1 - changes
Ryder 18.2 - obsession can be overcome
Everly 18 - you have my heart
Ryder 19 - slipping away
Everly 19 - new world
i miss you doing the work
Ryder 20 - time flies, as they say
message not delivered
Everly 20 - we let it happen
poem II

Ryder 13 - work it out?

12 2 0
Door jane_maria

Monday 12.31pm

Logging into the work computer I blew into my hands. The shop was not the best isolated and the office was the coldest part. Usually I would put on the fan heater for Everly, who worked in here the most, but she wasn't anywhere in sight yet.

On Mondays the shop always opened at 1pm, but I usually got down there to fix some things. Like tidying the shop itself or already working on some things that would be expected to be finished by then.

Everly usually came in at 12 or 12.30pm but today she wasn't here.

I sighed deeply, I really hoped she wouldn't bail on me. Not today.

We lived in a town up north from St. Albert. The winters were known to be cold, snow usually came in between the months of November till late April. It depended on the year but usually the snow would be there for a while.

As November already came around the corner it had been a hectic time these last few weeks. It was the time of the year that customers would go and check their vehicles for the upcoming snow season.

If Everly would bail on me today, she was totally in her right. The asshole I was, me and my pride had refused to check up on her. She had Kendrick now anyway.

But I realized it wasn't like her though.. She'd definitely let me know if she was not coming in or when she'd be here later.

The clock in the office notified me it was 12.50pm, time to open the shop.

Sighing I walked towards the cash register and turned the computer on. I put the cash drawer into the register and turned on the playlist for today.

Soft lo-fi tunes started playing as I walked towards the sliding doors. I unlocked them with the digital code and then with the keys. I didn't expect customers right away but just to make sure I would hear them coming in I set up the front camera.

Letting out an annoyed sigh I started walking towards the back of the shop, where I worked on the cars. I already hated today. One complaining customers and I swear I might off myself.

I know it's my fault Everly probably isn't coming today but still I hope she'd understand my position now.

After I had been working on the car and helping some customers in between I now sat down in the small office. Sending a quick reply to most of the emails, saying that we'd respond in 1-3 business days due to some unwanted circumstances.

Suddenly I heard some noise next to me, when I looked up I saw Everly rushing into the backdoor. She quickly walked towards the office but stopped dead in her tracks when she saw me standing in the doorway.

Our eyes met and I was confused by what I saw in hers. Her eyes were a confused mix between anger, sympathy and hurt. Her face was not showing any emotion but her eyes did say everything nonetheless.

I didn't say anything, just letting my eyes wander over her. She looked tired, dark circles around her eyes and her blonde hair was messy and her usually neat clothes seemed not that put together today either.

Not saying anything she pushed past me, putting her bag and jacket away.

Sucking my teeth I raised a brow, before stating the obvious. "You're late."

"Got caught up." She murmured, clearly unwilling to explain.

As soon as the phone rang, she picked up and sat down at the desk where I had been sitting earlier. She motioned for me to go help the customer at the register.

Around 5pm the most of the customers had came in for the day. From now on it'd be slow until 6pm when we would close the shop. This whole time Everly had been avoiding me, and that was really getting on my nerves now.

I was laying on my back, half underneath a car to repair something with the exhaust pipe. It was broken but the owner didn't know where. I couldn't really focus on what I was doing, as I couldn't stand the fact Everly ignored me.

Finally finding the broken part I put it down on paper for tomorrow, as it was just around 6 o'clock now.

As I had closed the doors and locked them I walked towards the office. My jaw was clenched as I stepped inside, seeing Everly look at me weirdly.

"We need to talk." I spat. "You're acting fucking annoying."

She let out a laugh, but a bitter one. "Yeah right."

"Why were you late this morning?" I asked, trying to contain myself.

She shifted her jaw a little while rubbing her cheek. "Sorry about that, got caught up."

"Caught up with what?"

"Kendrick slept over at mine and we both overslept." She blurted out, her cheeks showing a tinge of red.

What? Kendrick slept over at hers? The hell..?

"He- Kendrick slept over at yours?" I questioned, my brows furrowed. What did she mean with 'slept over'?

She nodded, "That's besides the point though. I just overslept."

"Couldn't you just let me know you'd be late?" I grumbled as I walked towards to cash register. "For all I knew you could've stayed home today."

She rolled her eyes. "You know I'm not like that."

I huffed and just started counting the money in the register.

"You were with Kendrick," I replied slowly. "Thats also not like you."

She didn't answer, just stayed fiddling with a small piece of paper.

Silently I counted all the money in the register and after that I put it in the safe. As I walked out of the office again I saw her still standing at the desk. Her eyes were intently focused on me as she watched me take a few steps closer to her.

"You know..", She starts. "It shouldn't really matter to you if I was with Kendrick or not."

Now I fully turned my body towards her, towering over her. "Oh, and why exactly wouldn't it?"

"Its just none of your business who I'm with."

The audacity she had. I hated when people acted like this with me. I get really really irritated by people talking back to me. Its driving me insane.

"Stop the fucking attitude with me." I hissed, closing the gap between us, forcing her to back up against the desk.

"I'm just telling you something." Rolling her eyes she looked away. "It's not like you're better than me anyway."

I didn't say anything, just let my eyes roam over her body. Noticing I let my eyes linger a bit around her lips as she talked again.

"You accuse me of doing nasty things with Kendrick and so I act on it and you're mad. Seems logical doesn't it?" She sneered, her eyes burning in mine.

Trying to conceal my anger I stepped forward, planting both my hands on the desk. Caging her. She had to be lying about Kendrick, she had to.

"I said: stop the fucking attitude." I hissed, desperately trying to not burst out in anger. Leaning away from her I studied her facial expressions change from anger to hurt to confusion.

Low key if she knew I was fucking worried about her this morning. God knows what could've happened to her. That was why I was so pressed today. I wouldn't want her to know I still cared an awful lot about her. 

"Whatever." She sighed before pushing me aside and walking to the office. "You don't get to say what I do or don't do."

I watched her put on her jacket and she walked past me again to the door. Before she stepped outside she turned halfway around.

"You know, I could've stayed home today but I'm not someone who would let anyone suffer on their own. I didn't want to come today because you are an asshole who never apologizes for his fails. You're pathetic."

As soon as the door closed behind her I punched the desk, leaving my knuckles all scraped up.

She was right. And I hated it.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

74K 2.4K 51
#BOOK1 in 'ACE' SERIES He was like storm. He liked silence. He had looks which could kill. He is cold , ruthless and arrogant as hell. He h...
4.5K 17 10
I knew what was coming later tonight, not only at home, but on the way there. I knew that reacting right now would just make it worse though. So I ke...
4.1K 271 45
"He was the definition of what you call bad, he smoked, he broke the law, he drove too fast for his own good.He didn't care because no one taught him...
530 3 29
And there he was. Looking right at me with an astonishment look on his face. His lips parted slightly, his face drained away with no color. His haz...