IN BLOOM ━━ h. granger¹

By frenchexits

i can't hide from you like i hide from myself hermione granger x fem!oc third year ↝ seventh year ... More

IN BLOOM
𝟬𝟬𝟬. halloween night
ACT 𝕴: a wound in salt
𝟬𝟬𝟭. the leaky cauldron
𝟬𝟬𝟮. the return to hogwarts
𝟬𝟬𝟯. the anatomy of fear
𝟬𝟬𝟰. hippogriff's flight
𝟬𝟬𝟱. the boggart
𝟬𝟬𝟲. property of padfoot
𝟬𝟬𝟳. october gloom
𝟬𝟬𝟵. in my arms
𝟬𝟭𝟬. sins of thy father
𝟬𝟭𝟭. strange encounters
𝟬𝟭𝟮. the marauder's map
𝟬𝟭𝟯. a madman
𝟬𝟭𝟰. family secrets
𝟬𝟭𝟱. spring flowers
𝟬𝟭𝟲. a second time
𝟬𝟭𝟳. bloom later
𝟬𝟭𝟴. the whomping willow
𝟬𝟭𝟵. the living and the dead
𝟬𝟮𝟬. puzzle pieces
𝟬𝟮𝟭. revelations
ACT 𝕴𝕴: fistful of stardust
𝟬𝟮𝟮. summer haze
𝟬𝟮𝟯. white dress
𝟬𝟮𝟰. cauldron bottoms
𝟬𝟮𝟱. perfect prefect
𝟬𝟮𝟲. bagman and crouch
𝟬𝟮𝟳. the world cup
𝟬𝟮𝟴. death eater havoc
𝟬𝟮𝟵. as summer fades out
𝟬𝟯𝟬. aboard the hogwarts express
𝟬𝟯𝟭. the triwizard tournament
𝟬𝟯𝟮. hermione's strange behavior
𝟬𝟯𝟯. the unforgivable curses
𝟬𝟯𝟰. madeleine lourdes
𝟬𝟯𝟱. the fourth champion
𝟬𝟯𝟲. haunted soul
𝟬𝟯𝟳. the first task
𝟬𝟯𝟴. invisible string
𝟬𝟯𝟵. just like heaven
𝟬𝟰𝟬. partner in crime
𝟬𝟰𝟭. to breathe underwater
𝟬𝟰𝟮. moon song
𝟬𝟰𝟯. teenage dream
𝟬𝟰𝟰. cruel world
𝟬𝟰𝟱. come as you are
𝟬𝟰𝟲. the resurrection
𝟬𝟰𝟳. remember cedric
ACT 𝕴𝕴𝕴: burning effigies
𝟬𝟰𝟴. everything has changed
𝟬𝟰𝟵. in the dark
𝟬𝟱𝟬. grimmauld place
𝟬𝟱𝟭. unknown power

𝟬𝟬𝟴. flight of the fat lady

3.3K 184 38
By frenchexits

chapter eight
( flight of the fat lady )

THE DAY OF the Hogsmeade visit, a glum Juliet and Harry bid Hermione and Ron goodbye, as the latter two made their way down to what was supposed to be the highlight of the year. Instead, Juliet and Harry were stuck in the castle, walking up the stairs to the library, when Filch approached them, looking rather disheveled.

"Oh bloody hell," Jules whispered. It was a non-uniform day, so she was dressed in ripped stockings, a vintage slip dress she'd found in her mum's closet that was definitely a bit too big, and a jumper that seemed to swallow her. She looked like trouble, and she knew it, as she fumbled to make the pack of cigarettes in her pocket invisible.

"What are you two doing?" he scowled, suspicious as always.

"Nothing!" Harry insisted. "We were just heading to the library."

"A likely story!" Filch huffed. "Sneaking around on your own- why aren't you in Hogsmeade buying Stink Pellets and Belch Powder and Whizzing Worms like the rest of your nasty little friends?"

"We didn't get our permission slips signed-" Juliet tried to explain.

"Well, get back to your common room where you belong!" Filch snapped, and he stood glaring until they had passed out of sight.

But they didn't go back to the common room, climbing another staircase, to the Owlery so Juliet could send a letter to her mother. They were walking along another corridor when a voice from inside one of the rooms called out to them.

"Harry? Juliet?"

They doubled back to see who had spoken and saw Professor Lupin, looking around his office door. "What are you doing?" Lupin asked kindly, in a very different voice from Filch. "Where are your friends?"

"Hogsmeade," Juliet, sighed. "Mum refused to sign our slips."

"Ah," Lupin said, considering the pair for a moment with sympathy in his eyes. "Why don't you come in? I've just taken delivery of a Grindylow for our next lesson."

"A what?" Harry asked, nudging Jules in her ribs as they followed Lupin into his office. In the corner stood a very large tank of water, where a sickly green creature with sharp little horns had its face pressed against the glass, pulling faces and flexing its long, spindly fingers.

"Water demon," Lupin clarified, surveying the Grindylow thoughtfully. "We shouldn't have much difficulty with him, not after the Kappas. The trick is to break his grip. You notice the abnormally long fingers? Strong, but very brittle."

The Grindylow bared its green teeth and then buried itself in a tangle of weeds in a corner.

"Cup of tea?" Lupin said, looking around for his kettle. "I was just thinking of making one."

"All right," Harry said awkwardly, exchanging a glance with his Juliet, who felt as bewildered as him. Lupin tapped the kettle with his wand and a blast of steam issued suddenly from the spout.

"If I'm not mistaken, your birthday is coming up isn't it Juliet?" Lupin asked kindly. "November Third?"

Juliet nodded, smiling softly. "He knew my parents," she whispered to a confused Harry, who nodded in response.

"Sit down," Lupin invited, taking the lid off a dusty tin. "I've only got teabags, I'm afraid, but I daresay you've had enough of tea leaves?"

Lupin's eyes were twinkling, and Juliet let out a snicker. "How did you know about that?" Harry asked.

"Professor McGonagall told me," Lupin said, passing them two chipped mugs of tea. "You're not worried, are you?"

"No," Harry said, still looking very worried.

"Anything worrying you, Harry?" Lupin asked. Harry answered, and the two began a quick conversation, Juliet zoning out almost immediately. Her eyes focused upon a photograph Lupin had framed, and propped up on his desk. She didn't know what she was thinking, when she picked it up, and traced her finger over it. She immediately picked out Harry's parents; Lily and Harry had the same eyes, and Harry was a mini James. Lupin looked younger, more carefree, and had fewer scars.

And then, there was her mother, and another man. The man was definitely familiar. She couldn't put her finger on it, when it clicked. Her father. It was a man Jules had never met, but loved with her entire aching heart. Her mother had an arm tossed around him, and she looked far younger, like a weight had not yet been placed on her shoulders.

There were others, too. A blond and brunette who were surely dating, the former on the lap of the latter, with adoration in their eyes as they stared at one another. A smaller, shiftier looking man, with straw colored hair. A woman with the most beautiful curly hair, and white teeth that flashed as she grinned, and another woman who also had curls, and freckles dotting her honeyed skin.

There was a knock on the door, and Juliet turned around so abruptly she almost dropped the photograph. "Come in!' Lupin called, as she and Harry exchanged looks. A shiver went down her spine as Snape entered carrying a goblet, that smoked faintly. His eyes narrowed at the two children he seemed to hate with every fibre of his being.

"Ah, Severus," Lupin smiled. "Thanks very much. Could you leave it here on the desk for me?"

Snape set down the smoking goblet, his eyes wandering between Harry and Lupin. "I was just showing Harry my Grindylow," Lupin said pleasantly, pointing at the tank.

"Fascinating," Snape muttered, without looking at it. "You should drink that directly, Lupin."

"Yes, Yes, I will," Lupin replied.

"I made an entire cauldronful," Snape continued. "If you need more."

"I should probably have some again tomorrow. Thanks very much, Severus."

"Not at all," Snape replied, but there was a look in his eye Juliet didn't like. He backed out of the room, unsmiling and watchful.

Harry looked curiously at the goblet, as Lupin smiled. "Professor Snape has very kindly concocted a potion for me," he said. "I have never been much of a potion-brewer and this one is particularly complex."

He picked up the goblet and sniffed it. "Pity sugar makes it useless," he added, taking a sip and shuddering.

"Why-?" Harry began. Lupin looked at him and answered the unfinished question.

"I've been feeling a bit off-color," he said. "This potion is the only thing that helps. I am very lucky to be working alongside Professor Snape; there aren't many wizards who are up to making it."

Professor Lupin took another sip and Juliet had a crazy urge to knock the goblet out of his hands.

"Professor Snape's very interested in the Dark Arts," Harry blurted out.

"Really?" Lupin asked, looking only mildly interested as he took another gulp of potion.

"Some people reckon-" Harry hesitated, then plunged recklessly on, "Some people reckon he'd do anything to get the Defense Against the Dark Arts job."

Lupin drained the goblet and pulled a face. "Disgusting," he said. "Well, Harry, I'd better get back to work. I'll see you at the feast later. Juliet, may I speak to you privately?"

"Right," Harry said, putting down his empty teacup. The empty goblet was still smoking. "I'll catch you after Jules?" he added, as she nodded.

Lupin gently placed a hand on Juliet's shoulder, glancing at the photograph she was still clutching with misty eyes. "Ah. I see you've found us."

"Are those my parents, sir?" she asked, pointing Cordelia and the dark haired man. Lupin simply pressed his lips together.

"You know, your dad insisted I be named godfather," he laughed. "I guess it's time I said something, isn't it?"

"How come you haven't been around?" Juliet said, shell-shocked. "Mum didn't say anything-"

"There was some disagreement between your father and I before he uh- died, and it felt strange to see your mother after," Lupin smiled kindly. "Speaking of which, I might owl Cordelia soon, she doesn't mind, does she?"

"I'm sure she won't," Juliet said softly, tracing a finger over the man she knew was her father. He was unknown to her, in terms of his name, but she already felt a connection to him. "I should get down to the feast."

"I'll walk you down," Lupin offered. She fell into stride next to him, and they were nearly at the Great Hall when she turned her head towards him.

"What was he like?"

"Words cannot describe how good of a man he was. He was full of love, and I'm sure he'd be proud of you," he said, placing a hand on her shoulder, before she shyly waved him goodbye and made her way over to the Ravenclaw table, squeezing into a space Calliope and Padma had saved for her.

The Great Hall had been decorated with thousands of candle-filled pumpkins, a cloud of fluttering live bats, and flaming orange streamers, which were swimming lazily across the stormy ceiling like water-snakes.

The food was delicious, and she stuffed herself with baked pumpkin, roast potatoes, and pork chops. Dessert was custard tart, and Juliet was full of food and good conversation. Calliope had a hilarious story about finding out that Draco had fallen into the Black Lake through Pansy Parkinson.

The feast finished with an entertainment provided by the Hogwarts ghosts. They popped out of the walls and tables to do a bit of formation gliding, Nearly Headless Nick had a great success with a reenactment of his own botched beheading.

It had been such a pleasant evening that Juliet's good mood couldn't even be spoiled by Malfoy, who taunted Harry and Juliet as usual. Hermione said she had some sweets she had brought back for Juliet left back in Gryffindor tower, so she followed Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and the rest of the Gryffindors along the usual path to Gryffindor Tower.

But when they reached the corridor that ended with the portrait of the Fat Lady, they found it jammed with students. "Why isn't anyone going in?" Ron said curiously. Harry peered over the heads in front of them, and Juliet gripped his shoulder so she could stand on her toes to see.

The portrait seemed to be closed. "Let me through, please," Percy's voice called out, and he came bustling importantly through the crowd. "What's the holdup here? You can't all have forgotten the password- excuse me, I'm Head Boy-"

And then a silence fell over the crowd, from the front first, so that a chill seemed to spread down the corridor. They heard Percy say, in a suddenly sharp voice, "Somebody get Professor Dumbledore. Quick."

People's heads turned, those at the back standing on tiptoe. "What's going on?" Ginny said, just arriving. She squeezed Juliet's arm, flashing a bright grin. A moment later, Professor Dumbledore was there, sweeping toward the portrait, the Gryffindors squeezing together to let him through. Harry, Ron, and Hermione moved closer to see what the trouble was.

"Oh, my-" Juliet and Hermione grabbed Harry's arm. The Fat Lady had vanished from her portrait, which had been slashed so viciously that strips of canvas littered the floor, great chunks of it torn away completely. Dumbledore took one quick look at the ruined painting and turned, his eyes somber, to see Professors McGonagall, Lupin, and Snape hurrying toward him.

"We need to find her," Dumbledore stated, remaing calm. "Professor McGonagall, please go to Mr. Filch at once and tell him to search every painting in the castle for the Fat Lady."

"You'll be lucky!" a voice cackled. It was Peeves the Poltergeist, bobbing over the crowd and looking delighted, as he always did, at the sight of wreckage or worry.

"What do you mean, Peeves?" Dumbledore asked calmly, Peeves's grin fading a little. He didn't dare taunt Dumbledore, instead adopting an oily voice that was no better than his cackle.

"Ashamed, Your Headship, sir. Doesn't want to be seen. She's a horrible mess. Saw her running through the landscape up on the fourth floor, sir, dodging between the trees. Crying something dreadful," he said happily. "Poor thing." he added unconvincingly.

"Did she say who did it?" Dumbledore said quietly.

"Oh yes, Professorhead," said Peeves, with the air of one cradling a large bombshell in his arms. "He got very angry when she wouldn't let him in, you see."

Peeves flipped over and grinned at Dumbledore from between his own legs. "Nasty temper he's got, that Sirius Black."

An uproar immediately spread down the corridor, and McGonagall seemed to immediately come over and grab Juliet's arm. "Miss Valentine, you need to come with me, right now."

Juliet shot a confused glance at her friends. McGonagall seemed to sense her hesitation. "It's no big deal, my dear. I was coming to find you earlier. Potter, Granger, Weasley. Head on over with the rest of the students."

So Juliet found herself alone in McGonagall's office, barricaded inside, with her toes dancing patterns within her combat boots. Footsteps sounded outside of the door, and as it opened, Juliet was in disbelief.

"Mum?"

( AUTHOR NOTE )
sorry for being mia for
a while, but i'm back with
the updates. some shit is
about to go down for darling
jules, so stay tuned!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107K 3.2K 35
𝗰𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘁 - it's only a week into his sixth year and sirius black is already bored out of his mind; so when he catches one of his classmates li...
543K 14.6K 56
❝ PEOPLE ANNOY ME, DIGGORY. ESPECIALLY PEOPLE LIKE 𝘠𝘖𝘜. ❞ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ༊*·˚ 💫 𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐩𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐲 in which a girl that lacks manners, prejudice t...
On God? By maple

Fanfiction

546K 21.3K 54
"On God?" "What in Merlin's name does that even mean?" in which a girl from 2020 somehow gets sucked into a book I DO NOT OWN THE HARRY POTTER UNIV...
360K 14.6K 79
love i can't ignore you, do anything for you. 𓆩❤︎𓆪┊Carpe Diem, harry j. potter ...