Panthers Love (A Grimmjow lov...

By ElliaHartlace

A Tragic History. Imaginary Friends. White Butterflies. Japanese Aunties. An Unknown Guardian. But will Sumik... More

Character info
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 2

60 1 0
By ElliaHartlace

 The sun shone through my bedroom window. Ugh, didn't I close the curtains before I went to bed? I tucked that lock of hair that constantly fell in my face. I stood up but my boy reminded me I was pregnant and the room started to spin. I plopped back down on the mattress like a heavy weight.

 “Little baby, you've got to behave more. All I wanted was to go make breakfast.”

 He kicked my ribs, “Hey, no talking back, boy.”

 I chided, smiling. Attempting once more to stand and this time successful, I made my way to the kitchen. I peeked in at Emiko and smiled. She had been working so hard, not only helping but also being a 3 year old pest. I still appreciated her work and childish advice. I tiptoed to the fridge. Our food was getting low. I needed to find a job soon. I rolled day old rice into balls and stuffed them with gurukin that would have been thrown away. But I begged the agiya fisherman to give them to me for just a few sen coins. 

Emiko sneaked into the kitchen and grabbed my leg, “Boo!” 

Pretending to be surprised, “Ahhh...Emiko, don't scare me like that.”

 She giggled.

 “Get your chopsticks. Breakfast is almost done.” I directed. 

She grabbed her chopsticks and plate from the drain rack and wiggled in between the table and a chair.

 I served her the rice balls, “Ah, Mommy again??” she complained. 

“It's okay, Emiko. I'll get a job today and we'll have miso soup for breakfast every day after that.” I soothed. She finally smiled. Miso soup was her favorite breakfast meal. Aizen would rarely buy it or anything for that matter.

 “Mommy?” Emiko broke through my thoughts.

 “Yes, little girl?” 

“Can I play in the backyard while you get ready?” she asked, sweetly. 

I chuckled, “Of course you can. But be careful to not get dirty. We will be leaving soon.” 

She stuffed the rice ball into her mouth, “Thunks, Mumth” 

“Hey, don't talk with your mouth full.” I called after her.

 “Thorry.” she said as she slid the bamboo door shut. 

 I could hear her skipping around the garden. Probably chasing butterflies that flitted through the yard. I looked down at my food. I'll just eat two. Just in case I don't get a job. Emiko has to eat. The baby kicked, “Yes, you need food too. Okay, one more.” 

After finishing breakfast clean up, I pulled on a fresh kimono. The worn silk was a little tight around my stomach but it was my best dress.

 I slipped on my shoes, “Emiko, it's time to go!” 

I slung a bag of important things over my shoulder as my daughter came bouncing in.

 “Mother, I met someone.” she announced.

 “Oh?” I queried. 

“Yeah, a nice man in the garden.” she explained.

 I frowned. Emiko had never had an imaginary friend before. 

“Who was he?” I played along.

 “He is really tall and he has green around his eyes just like you.” 

Emiko dashed through the open door. My frown deepened. Of course, her friend would be a panther too. And he definitely had to be imaginary because I was the last panther alive. I gave my head a shake. As long as this 'friend' didn't get extreme, Emiko deserved a friend no matter if it was imaginary. She tucked her hand in mine as we walked down the street. 

“So, tell me about your 'friend', Emi?” 

“He told me a story about where butterflies come from.” she began.

 “Butterflies, huh?” I prodded. 

“He said that the white butterfly that flew all over the grass was good luck. Do you think we'll have good luck today, Mommy?”

 I smiled, “Hopefully. Right now I would take any job. Someone has to be hiring.”

Checking in at Studio Pierrot where I had applied to get a job as an artist. But the receptionist said that Mr. Abe had already chosen another. I returned to Emiko sitting on a bench outside the office. 

“Did you get it, Mommy? Did you get it?” she asked, excitedly.

 I knelt down, “No, Emi. No, I didn't.” 

She threw her arms around my neck, “It's okay, Mommy. You'll find something.”

 I smiled at her optimism, “Of course I will.”

But door after door, business after business said they either already hired or weren't hiring. Emiko was starting to lose her smile and my feet were hurting. Anything, just anything. I made the tough decision to just go home and try tomorrow. As we passed a sunakku I just happened to glance at the window a man was serving noodles to a line of customers.

 “Emiko, wait here.”

 She plopped down on the chair outside. I really hoped he was still hiring.

 I peeked into the food stand door and an older woman cooking, “Obasan, excuse me. My name is Sumiko and...”

 She glanced at me and continued stirring the large wok, “If you are here for the job, you have to be fast and take orders correctly. You want to start tomorrow?”

 “I can, obasan. Thank you.”

 I responded, gratefully. “How far along are you?” she asked. 

“I'm seven months.” I replied.

 “Do you plan on working all the way up to your baby's birth?” she asked, a bit more gruffer.

 “Yes, obasan.” I confirmed. 

“Do you have any other children?” she pressed.

“One, a three year old daughter.” I began to doubt I would get the job.

 Having a little child had held me back from so many jobs I could've applied for. 

The woman gestured with her spoon to the back of the sunakku, “Renji’s wife watches all my workers' children. Before you leave, go introduce your daughter to her and be here at 1pm sharp. You'll take the afternoon shift.” 

I bowed several times, “Thank you. Thank you obasan.” 

She winked at me like she knew what I had gone through. 

I ran back to the chairs, “Emiko, I got a job.” 

I exclaimed. 

Her tired eyes suddenly became alive again,”Really, Mommy?”

 I nodded. I couldn't stop smiling.

 “I'm happy..but Mommy I'm hungry.” she said holding my leg. 

“One more moment. You need to meet the lady who will watch you while I work.” 

I pushed her towards the back of the food shack.

 A lady with pulled back hair and a kind smile stood up, “Hello, Sumiko. This must be your daughter.” 

My little girl stepped closer to me shyly as I said, “Yes, this is Emiko.”

 “Emiko, such a beautiful name.” A knelt down. 

Emiko stepped forward a little, “It means beautiful too.” I grinned. 

Emiko loved telling people about her name.

 “Does it?” Rukia inquired. 

Emi nodded.

Rukia proposed, “How would you like to come and play with the other children tomorrow?” Emiko nodded and the woman stood, “You have a great girl, Sumiko.”

 I blushed, “Thank you.” Emi tugged my hand, “Mommy, I'm hungry. And it smells so good here.” I bent over, “I'm sorry, Emi. I don't have any money yet to buy food. It's going to be ramen again.”

 She looked about to cry but tried to toughen up, “Okay, Mommy. Just tonight?” 

I grinned, “Just tonight.” 

We began walking towards home when a voice called, “Sumiko. Sumiko!” 

I turned and the old woman was calling out the door. I took Emi's hand and trudged over.

 The woman smiled a huge grin, “Emiko, you'll never go hungry again. Obasan will watch out for you and your mother. Is that a deal?” 

Emi rubbed her tear out of her eye, “Okay, obasan.” The woman reached behind the wall and handed my little girl a huge bowl of miso soup.

 My mouth dropped open, “Obasan?” Emiko's eyes lit up, “Is that for me?”

 The woman nodded, “It's your favorite right?”

 Emi nodded, excitedly, “Yes it is.” 

I stared at auntie, “Obasan, thank you so much. How did you know?”

 She winked again at me, “Aunties know things.” 

Emiko held the bowl to her nose and she reported, “It smells so good. Thank you, Obasan.”

 My daughter left to go sit at one of the tables in front of the sunnakku. I looked back at obasan and she was holding a plate of yakisoba noodles topped with two yakitori chicken sticks. I'm pretty sure my eyeballs popped out.

 “Obasan, how did you know? Tell me your secret.” She just smiled knowingly and returned to her wok. 

I sat opposite of Emiko who was nearly done with her soup. 

“What did she give you, Mommy?” 

A tear fell down my cheek, “My favorite dish that my mother made for me a long time ago.”

 “Why are you crying, Mommy?” she asked. 

I smiled as another tear fell, “Because, Emi, your friend was right. Your white butterfly was good luck.” 

She giggled and tipped her bowl up getting the last drops of soup.  Yes, your imaginary friend must be good luck, dear daughter. I dug my chopsticks into the pile of noodles.

Today was only the beginning of white butterflies.

Gurukin ~ A Japanese fish

Agiya ~ A Japanese fisherman

Obasan ~ a title given to an older woman in politeness. It means Auntie.

Sunnakku ~ A Japanese food truck

Sen and yen ~ Japanese currency 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

411K 13.3K 57
* THIS IS A COPYRIGHTED STORY OF MINE, MIDNIGHT_LILAC, PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD. IF YOU FIND IT ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE, IT HAS BEEN COPIED/REPUBLISHED WITH...
117K 3.4K 36
When a young Amaya moves to Karakura town with her mother, she starts her first year of high school. From there, she makes friends and starts to smil...
1.1K 74 12
DISCLAIMER: I don't own any of the characters or events from the manga/ anime series "Bleach"which are originally owned by Tite Kubo. Ichigo K...
21.6K 771 20
Kira Hiroto X Oc. I'm sorry, I'm bad at description so please read if you guys want to know more. Thank you.