Heartbreak Roommate

By kristentaylor16

After being cheated on by her fiancé, the last thing Lydia wants to do is room with her brother and his 2 roo... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Author's Note
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Part 2
Chapter One (Part 2)
Chapter Two (Part 2)
Chapter Three (Part 2)
Chapter Four (Part 2)
Chapter Five (Part 2)
Chapter Six (Part 2)
Chapter Seven (Part 2)
Chapter Eight (Part 2)
Chapter Nine (Part 2)
Chapter Ten (Part 2)
Chapter Eleven (Part 2)
Chapter Twelve (Part 2)
Chapter Thirteen (Part 2)
Chapter Fourteen (Part 2)
Chapter Fifteen (Part 2)
Chapter Sixteen (Part 2)
Chapter Seventeen (Part 2)
Chapter Nineteen (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty-One (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty-Two (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty-Three (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty-Four (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty-Five (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty-Six (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty-Seven (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty-Eight (Part 2)
Chapter Twenty-Nine (Part 2)
Chapter Thirty (Part 2)
Chapter Thirty-One (Part 2)
Chapter Thirty-Two (Part 2)
Chapter Thirty-Three (Part 2)
Chapter Thirty-Four (Part 2)
Epilogue
Resources

Chapter Eighteen (Part 2)

17.9K 653 53
By kristentaylor16

Lydia was desperate. She was looking for connections where I knew there were none, and even her law school friend Malcolm agreed with me. She was growing so restless with proving that her previous abuser had committed this crime that she couldn't ever just lay with me and relax, she had to be up and doing research on how easy it was to disable an ankle monitor.

Five days into her mandatory week of no activity, she was climbing the walls ready to break out of the apartment, so I knew I had to do something, but I didn't know what I could do to help her.

Her mother finally came over to give me a chance to speak with my agent in person and while we were out having lunch, the paparazzi found us, but it wasn't because of me. A familiar brunette sat across from us and I waved to Sofia as she was on what looked to be a business lunch as well.

Whereas before, I would've noticed how great she looked or commented on her clothes, I saw her only as a friend that I helped out to get the guy of her dreams and she was the person who told me to get over myself and go to Lydia, and at the perfect time too.

"Emmett, I'm so glad I ran into you. I think I left one of my silver earrings at your place, along with a few other items. Is there any way I can run by there and pick them up or do you want me to mail them to you?"

"Uh, well I guess I can just-"

"Great, I'll stop by later today."

She stood to leave but I hardly had a word out of my throat in agreement before she was up and leaving, a very confused look left on my face by her behavior.

"What was that about?"

I looked at my manager and shook my head. "No idea."

We set to work on my contract renegotiating and I ended up with way more money that I would have ever hoped to aspire to earn and I was even low balling. No person should have that much money...

I left lunch with a feeling that Sofia was going to swing by the apartment much earlier than I had expected so I hurried back to find something I hadn't ever expected to see.

My ex, for all intents and purposes, sitting with Lydia in my living room, the both of them watching me with thinly veiled humor in their features. Well, at least they weren't fighting.

Ever since I found the connection between the victim and Christian, I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to find sufficient evidence that he was the killer. It wasn't just about the assignment anymore, no, it was about a charge that would put Christian away for life.

It didn't matter how heinous the act was, sexual assault just didn't keep offenders away unless there were thousands of cases stacked on top of the other and in Christian's case, if convicted, he would only be in jail for ten to fifteen, possibility of parole after ten years. He was only twenty three, he could get out at thirty three and that was if he was convicted.

This gave me a chance to finally put away the first person to ever hurt me, to take away my innocence as if it were his to take. This was my chance, and I wasn't about to screw it up, no matter how much Malcolm and Emmett disagreed with my theory.

My father had come through with video surveillance but he had a hard time getting information from the local police about the case because he was a cop in Texas. If I wanted more information, I'd have to request it from my professor and she was clear that this was all the paperwork we'd had on the case.

A lightbulb went off in my head and I rushed to my phone to call Malcolm.

"What? It's five in the morning."

"Professor Walsh told us that this was all the paperwork she had on the case, right?"

"Yeah, so?"

"So, did no one think to ask if there were other pieces of information we needed that wasn't in the form of paper? Like say, photographs or videos?"

The line was silent for a moment before he answered.

"I'll ask her that today when I go in. You're still getting credit for classes right? I mean I know being there virtually through a phone isn't really the same."

"Yes, I'm able to be a virtual student right now so I still get the full credit for classes. Two more days and I'm free and clear."

Or so I hoped. If the doctor told me I needed to be on restricted activity any longer, I would go crazy, and so would Emmett. There were only so many cold showers a person could take in one day before something had to give.

I kept our kisses as chaste as I could but at night with my body cuddled up next to him in the exact same bed, it was hard to not give into temptation but we did so without too much complaint.

Okay, there was a lot of complaint, and most of it was from me...

What could I say? Therapy helped me achieve a positive outlook on sex, just because there were people who had hurt me in the past didn't mean that I had to associate the act with the pain.

"Lydia?"

"Huh what? Oh yeah, sorry. What were you saying?"

"I said that was good, and I'm taking detailed notes for you. Do you need me to drop them off to you today? Anymore conspiracy theories about best friends I'd never heard of before to tell me?"

I hadn't told Malcolm about my real past with Christian. He just knew that I knew of him when I was going to school with him. He thought it was weird that I somehow had a connection to the previous two cases that we'd worked at school but I shrugged his suspicions off. I said it was a 'small world'. Great way to get him off the trail.

"Hah. No, just the same one, and it's not a conspiracy theory. I'm going to prove that it was him, Christian Westmore is our killer."

"Riiiiight, okay well I have to go and sleep for two more hours. Good luck with...whatever it is you're doing at five in the morning."

We hung up and I spent the rest of the day cursing Emmett for allowing my mother to come over, something that didn't go so well.

He had just left out the door when she tore into me.

"Why haven't you been calling or texting? I know that doesn't cause too much exertion for you."

"Hello to you too, mom."

We really got into the nitty gritty after we sat down with some tea.

"I just don't understand the disconnect, Lydia. I mean, I gave you everything you ever needed in life, made sure you were well provided for...you act like I am such an evil monster when all I ever did was love you. I just want us to be in a good place."

I ground my teeth to keep myself from growling in anger.

"You downplayed my sexual assault. You basically said I was asking for it. You didn't support me going to court all because of your image. You chose superficial things over your own daughter. We can't move on until you own up to the things you said and did."

"You're right."

I did a double take.

"What?

"I said you're right! I was heartless when it came to that situation, because I knew what had to be done so I couldn't put my emotions into it. I pretended that what I told you was the truth so I could live with myself but ever since that night I knew I was lying to myself. I failed you Lydia, and I am so sorry."

Wow. She had never apologized like that before. We sat in silence for a while.

"Thank you."

She cleared her throat and swiped away a few stray tears.

"This was more than my quota of emotions for the day, will Emmett be much longer?"

I checked my phone.

"No, he said he would only be an hour. You can go, if you're uncomfortable."

"Okay. I meant what I said Lydia. I am sorry, and I love you."

"I-"

"You don't have to say it back, I know we have a long road to our relationship being somewhat normal. I just wanted you to know it."

"Mom I-"

"I don't want you having to say it out of obligation or guilt, because that wasn't my intention and I-"

"Adsila! I love you too. You're my mother, and unless you abandon me, I'll try. I'll try until you stop trying. You spent so many years without trying so I didn't either, and that's how everything became so strained. But I want to try."

"I'd like to keep trying as well."

The laugh lines in her eyes and around her mouth deepened as her mouth tilted upwards, the only sign that she was happy with what had happened there today.

It was only a few minutes after she left that Emmett came back. I beat him to the door and opened it just in time to see...not Emmett.

But Sofia Renault.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 42.6K 54
We've all heard about 'the main character'. The type of person who lives through the most dramatic and improbable situations, and finds the kind of e...
38K 1.2K 50
Emily Hale had the perfect life. She had the perfect grades, she was pretty as well as popular. People liked her and her amazing boyfriend, William...
9.2K 1.5K 31
Book 1 of The Flaw Series. You can't scream at the world and expect the world not to scream back. Via is the type of girl who loves to live in it w...
3.1M 123K 77
{Free story 1 paid bonus chapter} Virginia hates her school's basketball superstar, but Eli Shepherd is hoping to change that, one basket at a time...