Stay

By jhildey

Evie Jones was seemingly in tact. Her life was a representation of perfection. Niall Horan was seemingly self... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
Authors Note - #BellLetsTalk
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
AN- TUMBLR
48
49
50
51
52
53
EPILOGUE
STAY - TUMBLR DRABBLE COLLECTION
Stay - EDITED NOVEL

25

68.6K 2.2K 712
By jhildey

EVIE

Papers were scattered all over the table. Books were opened and propped up, each marked and  opened to a page that needed to be studied. Highlighters and half used notebooks were piled in a corner. It looked like a hurricane hit. 

I was stressed. My stomach was full of nothing but coffee and an energy drink. I managed to only eat a granola bar today... too stressed to even think about food. I could feel my brain slowly shut down the longer I sat here. The smell of aged books filtered throughout the library and there was this persistent buzzing sound from the lights. For the longest time, I had my headphones glued to my ears. Mozart playing on a loop to keep me concentrated. But, if anything, it was only distracting me more. 

I only had three exams left until I was done for the Christmas holiday. It was insane to think that this semester was already over leaving me with only two and half years left. Only two hand a half more years until I walk across that stage and receive my diploma. I was already ready to be finished. 

Quickly, I search for my agenda. Today was Tuesday and I had my American literature exam Wednesday afternoon, my philosophy exam Thursday morning, leaving me with my comparative literature exam Friday morning. God - the longer I looked at these times and dates, the more stressed I became. 

This was going to be the longest week of my life. I already knew it. If I came out of this exam  week alive, I was going to throw the biggest party for one my apartment has ever seen. There will be cake, balloons and every Hugh Grant movie made. I will be wearing my best pajamas and every candle that I own will be lit... because why the hell not? Surviving exam week was something to be celebrated and celebrations begin with Notting Hill because I’d be crazy not to. 

I felt like this was going to be impossible. There was no way that my brain can retain all of this information. To be quite honest, Philosophy in itself was doing me in. I did not care one bit if this chair is really this chair. It’s a damn chair because I say it is. Why must you make me question it? Honestly.... how am I going to incorporate all of this mumble jumble into my teaching career. I want to teach foreign children English not become a Philosopher! 

If there was one thing that failing my Statistic class has taught me is that I need to take this seriously. I can’t slack off. I need to give it my hundred and ten precent into all of this. I can do it... I know that I can. I had to do this right... for my mother... for my dad.... for Hugh. 

I  open up a new word document, titling it “Hugh Grant Movies That Need To Be Watched After Exams”... it was a working title.

Notting Hill... Four Weddings and a Funeral... Bridget Jone’s Diary... Love Act-

“There you are,” a loud voice calls, causing me to jump out of my seat. 

“Shit,” I hiss, rubbing my now sore knee. I look up to see Presley taking a seat at my messy oasis. “What are you doing here?” I whispered harshly, the throbbing in my knee not settling. 

“To study?” She stated, completely unconcerned by the pain that she infused. “God, what happened here? You can barely see the table... You should really fix your study habits.” 

Presley pushes the swarms of paper to the side, completely messing with my system. But in true Presley fashion, she ignores it and sets down her laptop. 

“When did we make plans to study?” 

“Sunday night,” she claims, passing back one of my notebooks. “When you called to tell me about your date with Ryder. Don’t you remember?” 

“Yeah,” I lied. I had no recollection of making plans to study with her. I usually looked at studying as a solitude sport not a group activity, even though both Presley, Leah and Maggie thought otherwise. However, she was already here and there was no way that I was going to ask her to leave. “What are you studying?” 

“Family communication... how to maintain a pattern of communication through daily living...” she answers monotonously. “Sounds fun right?” 

“Loads of fun.”

“What about you?” 

“American lit. Right now I’m studying the thrilling devices of poetry rhyming schemes. A-b-c-a-b-c-d-e-f-d-e-f... If I have to look at another letter combination I might go mad,” I groan, running my fingers through my hair. “I’m sure Robert Frost is rolling in his grave.” 

“Well considering that he’s been dead for a really long time, his bones are all deteriorated and...”

“Presley,” I interrupt, “I don’t mean he’s literally rolling in his grave. It’s a figure of speech. I know all about figure of speeches- been studying those all morning.” 

She chuckles as she leans over the table and closes my laptop shut. Instantly, I slap her hand away. “You need to take a break. We’re going to go get ice cream,” she declares, already standing up from her chair. 

“I have an exam tomorrow,” I reminded her. “There’s no time for me to take a break to go get ice cream.” Except for the fact that I had just spent a good ten minutes day dreaming about a man who was at least twice my age.

She lets out a dramatic gasp, “Are you turning down ice cream? What about a McDonalds run?” 

“I had a big lunch,” I lied. “You haven’t even started studying yet. You can’t have a break if you haven’t done anything to take a break from.” 

“For a girl that’s the queen of procrastinating, you sure are being productive,” she uttered accusingly. “What’s wrong with you?”

I wave my hand passively and reopen my laptop. “I told you... I have a major exam tomorrow. I need to buckle down and make sure I do well.” How many times did I have to explain to her the importance behind my refusal? 

“Whatever... you don’t have to get all snappy.” 

Her deflate tone instantly makes me feel guilty. I hated disappointing anyone, especially Presley. I suppose taking a small break from studying wouldn’t kill me... “You have fifteen minutes.” 

She looks up at me, her brows furrowed... confused... “What?” 

I stand up and grab my coat, buttoning in up as I talk. “You’re right. I need to take a break. Let’s go get ice cream.” 

One exam left. 

There was only one exam standing between me and Christmas break. How was it that the last hours before your final, final exam time becomes increasingly slower? It was only Thursday afternoon and I already felt like going to bed. However, sleep was a luxury. A luxury that I cannot afford at this moment. 

My mind felt hazy. Philosophy had done a complete number on my mind and my sanity. There was no way that I could emotionally and mentally begin preparing for my comparative literature exam in this state. 

Laying across my bed, I can feel my eyes slowly shut. Using whatever strength I have left, I pull myself out of bed and towards my closet. Grabbing the first pair of running pants and shirt I can find, I slip them on. With a pair of running shoes in hand, I walk over to my front door. A run was what I needed. Maybe if I got my adrenaline running (pun completely intended...) then I will be able to focus. 

I walk out of my apartment and lock the door behind me. But before I leave, I stare at the white door across the hall. I take a few moments and contemplate whether or not it’d be a good idea to see if Niall was home. It had been a week since I had seen him last and to be quite frank, I missed him. Strange, isn’t it? 

Ever since my date with Ryder the week before, I had been going slightly crazy. My mind kept overanalyzing the kiss between us... questioning it. Was there a reason why I felt the way that I did? Perhaps I needed to try again? Ryder was such a great guy, why didn’t I like him more? But the biggest question of all... the one thing that hadn’t left my mind since Ryder dropped me off after our date was... what about Niall?

Without giving it much of a second thought, I knock on his door. Nothing... I wait a few more seconds before knocking a second time, but this time harder. 

I can hear the familiar sound of shuffling on the other end. He opens the door, his blank expression quickly changing. His lips quirk into a smile, his glazed eyes lighting up. “Jones, long time no see,” he greets while pulling me into a tight hug. 

“Hey to you too,” I replied, my voice muffled by his t-shirt. He smelt nice... a mixture of something musky and his laundry soap. It felt familiar... safe... I liked it. 

He loosens his grip around my shoulders and takes a step back. “Are you doing anything right now?” I ask him, pulling my mind away from his scent. 

“Nope,” he answers casually, running his fingers through his messy blonde hair. “Why? Have something in mind?” 

“I’ve been studying for exams all week. I need to take a break before I start reviewing for my last one. I was thinking about going for a quick run around the block... thought I’d see if you wanted to join? It’s been a while since we’ve hung out... I know it’s nothing exciting but -” 

“Sure, let me go get my shoes,” he agrees - cutting me off mid-sentence. 

“Are you sure? If you’re busy it’s fine...” I added hesitantly, even though he was already tying up his running shoes. 

“I wasn’t busy, Jones,” he chuckles lightly. “I was literally sitting on my sofa staring at a blank telly.” 

Telly - how Irish,” I joke, smirking down at him.

He stands back up, grabbing a hooded sweater from his closet. “Well - I am Irish.” 

I can feel a rush of excitement flood through me, causing my heart rate to pick up. It had been a while since I even had a conversation with Niall. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed simply joking with him. All questioning thoughts about previous dates, kisses, and what about’s were being pushed aside. 

“Alright - let’s go,” he lightly pushes me out the door, locking it behind him. “Do you need me to help you down the stairs?”

I roll my eyes dramatically, pushing him not so lightly in the arm. “I’m tired of this bit...”

“But it’s our bit,” he smirks. 

I blush, looking away from him. “I think I can manage the stairs, thank you.” 

“Suit yourself.” And with that, Niall rushes past me, nearly knocking me down to the floor.

 “Race you to the bottom,” I shout, pushing him back and thanking the big guy upstairs that I didn’t trip on my face. Because that wouldn’t be embarrassing at all... 

-

A-N: I'm awful at remembering names but a major thank you to the lovely reader who created the edit above! If you have any edits/manips that you have created, please send them to my twitter: jhildey_ // Thank you!!

And to answer some of your questions - I'm 23. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.5K 841 59
Lily's life was as perfect as it could be until she lost her parents. She had nowhere to go and no one to share her feelings with. At this time, she...
2K 145 38
Nadia seemingly has a perfect life, a perfect job, and a perfect personality. She is highly imaginative and finds herself dreaming most of the time a...
1.6M 54.9K 100
-Sequel to Almost Lover- Harry and Ava One year later and still apart. Neither can seem to move past the love they shared. But could a chance mee...
17.8K 681 48
Blair Collins is a spunky 19-year-old who desires to follow her wildest dreams and live life to the fullest, alongside her best friend, Delaney. Afte...