Dark to Baby: A Changjin Story

By funmady1996

Why does Felix always bring out the best in Changbin and why can't he be that way with me? -Hyunjin Note: th... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue

Chapter 28

285 16 3
By funmady1996

Changbin trudged down the aisle of the bus and plopped in the seat next to Hyunjin. Hyunjin greeted him briefly before returning his gaze to the blue house Changbin had just emerged from as if Felix would just appear in his normal happy state.

The bus lights went out, engulfing them in enough darkness that details were hard to make out and melatonin started being produced in both their brains. Hyunjin's mood fell as the realization set in that there was no way Felix was coming to school today. The bus began to move, and Hyunjin turned to Changbin to ask the dreaded question.

"So, how's Lix?" Changbin let his head fall back on the seat before rolling it so he was facing Hyunjin.

"Annoying. He kept me up all night asking me to refreeze the ice pack." Changbin ran a hand through his bangs and for the first time since Hyunjin's known him, his hair stuck a bit before falling back into place due to all the oil in it. He must have neglected to wash it the past few days.

"Is that why you look like death today?" Changbin snarled in Hyunjin's direction.

"Like you look any better."

"You're just jealous you don't wake up looking naturally flawless."

"Am I? I don't need that in my life." Changbin waved backwards to reference the constant giggling that followed Hyunjin around. Hyunjin rolled his eyes.

"You and me both. But he's okay, right?"

"Oh yeah. Nothing new," Changbin centered his head and closed his eyes, "are you coming over this afternoon?"

"Uh...about that," Hyunjin looked at his lap guiltily, "I'm grounded."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"How long?"

"Two weeks."

"Mm."

The pair kept their eyes in opposite directions until Hyunjin adjusted his claim, "I mean, I can sneak out a-"

"No, no, no, I don't want you getting in trouble. Lix'll manage. He's a big boy." Changbin sat up and waved his hands in front of his chest.

"Well technically, my mom's boyfriend said he'd cover for me as long as I'm careful." Changbin frowned.

"Don't you think that's a bad idea?"

"Well, yeah. But I don't want to leave Lix by himself."

"You can just text him and check on him. If you get caught, you won't get to see him at all."

"How's he gonna get dinner?" Hyunjin didn't know much about Changbin's sister, but he just assumed she wasn't the main cook in the house, and Felix getting food was probably the most pressing concern at the moment.

"The same way he gets lunch?" Changbin didn't seem to share Hyunjin's concern.

"Is he suddenly walking?"

"He's using my rolly chair."

"Like-"

"Yeah." Hyunjin giggled as the image of Felix rolling around Changbin's house popped into his mind.

"That must be entertaining."

"Well that's a word for it. Nerve wracking is more like it. I keep thinking he's gonna fall off and hurt himself, but somehow he manages to stay upright." The image in Hyunjin's mind changed to Felix careening down the hall with Changbin and his sister running behind. He had to admit that the idea was a little scary.

"So when are you done with work?"

"9."

"You really think he'll survive that long without anyone?" Changbin scoffed.

"He'll be fine. Lonely maybe, but he'll have to get over it if he wants food and your company in the future."

"That's true. I just feel bad."

"Don't. You're doing your best." Changbin bumped shoulders with Hyunjin and smiled sadly.

"So are you." Hyunjin returned the bump, but stayed close afterwards, leaning on the other's arm and staring up at his face with a cheeky grin on his face. Changbin looked away and sighed.

"I sure hope so. Gotta take these x-rays to the guidance office this morning. Hopefully they'll help." Hyunjin rested his head on Changbin's shoulder as a form of comfort.

"Want me to come with you?" Changbin shrugged, bobbing Hyunjin's head in the process.

"If you want. It's nothing special." Hyunjin couldn't believe Changbin accepted his help. Well not really help, but he didn't refuse his company.

"I'm coming then." Changbin raised an eyebrow at Hyunjin's eagerness.

"Whatever."

Silence filled the air around them, allowing the rumbling of the bus and whispering voices to be heard at full volume. Hyunjin slid his hands around Changbin's arm and shuffled on the seat to get comfortable. Changbin made no moves to detach himself, but his eyes held uncertainty and Hyunjin could feel the shallowness of his breathing.

It stayed that way for a while, Hyunjin wondering if he should pull away as it was hard to sleep beside a tense person, but then Changbin's whole body rocked back and forth and relaxed. Hyunjin hummed in satisfaction and snuggled his cheek into Changbin's shoulder.

It took a bit longer for Changbin to get some needed rest, but ultimately he found himself succumbing to the gentle rocking of the bus and the lullaby of machinery.

The pair were awoken by a sharp jerk forward. Their bodies torn from their cozy position as the bus let out a loud hiss and stopped its consistent vibrating.

Hyunjin groaned and tried to return to his previous place, but missed Changbin's shoulder and fell over onto his lap. He whined and wiggled a bit, trying to avoid the inevitable by getting comfortable again.

"Ow, what the heck?" Hyunjin pried his eyes open and looked up at Changbin who was grimacing and rubbing his neck.

"You okay?" He croaked out.

"Yeah, we should go so we get to the guidance office before class."

"We're already at school?" Hyunjin faked innocence and tilted his head up to look out the window at the brick school building bathed in morning sunlight.

"Is that the school?" Hyunjin sent Changbin a look of annoyance before rolling all the way up to a seated position.

"Whatever, let's just go." He pulled his backpack up through his legs and swung it so it landed on his back, miraculously not hitting Changbin. The other boy smirked and stood up, backpack in hand.

Like normal, the walk to the building was absent of any interaction between the two boys, but because they were going to the same place on purpose, it was twice as awkward. Changbin walked slightly in front of Hyunjin, not initiating conversation or even looking back to ensure he was still with him. Hyunjin blindly followed along, not sure why the outside air and surrounding students made Changbin shut down so fast. He didn't try to catch up because it always ended the same way. They were getting along, no need to ruin it now. 

A warm burst of air passed over them as they entered the building and made their way to the main office. Changbin kept his head down, refusing to greet the office staff, while Hyunjin nodded and smiled at each adult, attempting to make up for his friend's behavior.

They made their way down a twisted hallway of offices and stopped at the second door on the right. The pastel color palette of the quotes and stickers that decorated the door gave off a calming effect. There was a schedule on the wall beside the door and a file holder with a few papers placed strategically so they couldn't see what they said. On the left was a plaque with the counselor's name and credentials. Through the small window in the door, the counselor could be seen sitting at her desk, slouching over some paperwork. She was a petite woman with blonde hair that reached to her chin, her round face and fuzzy sweater making her very approachable.

Changbin knocked on a place where there were no stickers and got a wave in return. He went inside, once again not acknowledging Hyunjin beyond holding the door a little longer than normal so he could also step inside.

"Hi Changbin, Hyunjin. What can I do for you boys?" Hyunjin chose not to question how she knew his name and let Changbin talk.

"I got what we need."

"Really?" She gave him a genuine smile as her eyes anticipated something more.

"Yeah, unfortunately it came at the cost of another beating, but the x-rays are here now and he's safe at my house." Changbin set down his backpack and dug around for the x-ray folder.

"How's he feeling?"

"He's hurting. The doctor said it'd take six weeks for his ribs to fully heal, and he looks horrible with all the bruises, but he seems to be handling his emotions alright." Changbin fiddled with the folder before handing it over to the counselor.

"And you said he's at your house?"

"Yes, he is. Hyunjin here will be helping to look after him this week until he can come back to school." She nodded and gave Hyunjin a tight-lipped smile.

"Don't push yourself too hard, okay Changbin? I know how you are."

"I won't. Don't worry."

"Mm, okay. With this we should be able to get a court date. I'll keep you updated." She said, taking the x-rays out of the manila folder and examining them.

"Really? That's great! Let me know!" Changbin's hands clasped in front of his chest as he let out one of the largest smiles Hyunjin had ever seen on his face.

"I will. Now you two should get to class. I'll see you later." She jerked her head towards the door and sent them off with a small smile.

Changbin smiled back before practically skipping to their first period, his footsteps light and the smile never leaving his face. He spun in a circle, arms wide, making eye contact with Hyunjin.

"Jinjin! We did it!" He continued his spin so he was facing forward again and didn't see Hyunjin's little giggle.

Hyunjin sped up to walk beside the bouncing boy, ignoring the weird stares they were getting from others.

"So we're getting Lix out of there for good?"

"Heck yeah we are!"

"Thank god!"

________________________________________________________________________________

We're at 3k reads, people!!!

Thank you so much for your support! I love you all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 62 9
This story will contain: -Smut -Fluff -A bit of angst This is only a fan fiction! Please don't take it too seriously.
38 4 2
There are two sides to their love story. Felix might have fallen first, but Hyunjin took his time falling even harder.
357K 15K 58
Both Minho and Jisung had been single for a while. But that was about to change when their shared friend decided to introduce the two. Text & Normal...
167K 4.6K 39
[COMPLETED] Han Jisung X Stray Kids This is about -- Love | Friendship | Brotherhood | Best Friend | Married Couples | Family | Boyfriend & STAY 😊 I...