Ever Shade (A Dark Faerie Tal...

By AlexiaPurdy

A dark twist on Faeries. For Shade, a chance meeting with a powerful Teleen faery warrior who wields electri... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty

Chapter Six

3.6K 179 13
By AlexiaPurdy

The Teleen hills were like large swells of waves, flowing with the greenest of emerald grasses. The blades of grass rolled and swayed lightly, caressed by the wind. The air flew in constant rushes, whipping everyone's long tresses about them like tangled dancing ribbons. Shade's own wavy brown hair looked to be the shortest of the entourage's, except for Ewan's. All the women's hair seemed to be almost waist length, many with ornate braids, ties, or thin ropes wrapped through like extensions. Most of the colors were unnatural; nothing a human man or woman would ever possess naturally. Waves of golden brown, reds deep as rubies, blacks as dark as midnight, and browns like tiger's eyes flowed in the breezes. It was quite a dance of flashing colors.

Shade felt a twinge of jealousy. Nothing but human light brown hair danced on her head, nothing fey-like about it. It made her wonder what she had that resembled the fey at all. Maybe she had turned out to be more human than fey. Maybe they had the wrong girl after all. It could be she had no magic besides her spirit guides. She couldn't perform glamour or heal anything, let alone fight or enchant like the Dryad Queen.

Shade shivered, recalling the queen's cold stare and the ice-cold prison of air which kept her tightly within its grasp. It made her want to faint from a lack of oxygen. It was not something she cared to remember.

Her legs burned with the constant strain of hiking up and down the hills. The hills appeared smooth with grass but were rocky and uneven. Her tennis shoes weren't made for such rigorous hiking. She paused, leaned over, and placed her hands on her knees. Her lungs ached with the effort, and breathing felt like a burning torture. A faint metallic taste clung to her mouth as she coughed up spit. She was not a fan of the physically gifted. Her idea of a good time was curling up on her bed with a thick book. There was no way she would've voluntarily done anything that resembled hiking before this. Her idea of camping was a campsite where you could walk to your car and a public restroom. It was as close as she got to be outdoorsy.

This sucks.

"You all right?" Soap paused just ahead of her, craning his neck to see her face.

Shade's cheeks were pink with heat from the strain. She swallowed her blood-tainted saliva and nodded. I can do this, no problem. Just breathe, Shade, breathe. The problem was that she didn't quite believe herself. Turning toward Braelynn, who also had come to a stop by her, she attempted a weak smile for the Sorceress when she gave Shade a gentle pat on the back.

"The trail will be hard, not just for you, but for all of us. In time, you'll grow accustomed to the rigorous terrain. Are you having trouble catching your breath? I have a potion you can take for that. It's kind of like asthma medicine. Most faeries don't have that kind of trouble, but I prepare treatments for all kinds of people." Shade grinned, feeling at ease with the kind warrior. "I knew it was a possibility with a human coming along. Let me know if you need it," Braelynn offered. She grinned back and moved to continue to trek in the direction of the others.

Shade sighed and closed her eyes. She knew Braelynn was kind, but her words made her feel a twinge of inferiority, being human and all. She wondered how all of the fey felt about humans in general. Stereotyping was probably not just a human trait, and she wondered if the group thought she was weak. She hoped not.

She straightened up, took a deep breath in, and attempted the hill again. The afternoon sun burned down on her, and her hair felt afire. Peeking into her backpack, she remembered her baseball cap, which she'd stuffed into it earlier. It came to her fingers as quickly as she thought it. She was never going to get used to how cool that was. Shade zipped up her backpack and pulled the cap over the wavy strands that now fell away from her ponytail. She was glad she'd remembered to bring it; her head was thanking her for it.

Shade was about to ask someone if they were getting any closer to the mountain caves of the Teleen when she heard Ewan's booming voice echoing back to her.

"The mountains are about a mile away, not too far. We'll be eating dinner in no time." He chuckled back toward the group and patted his belly.

Ewan wasn't the only one thinking about food. Shade's stomach was protesting for the last hour. She had snacked on a granola bar, but it'd gone straight through her. She'd worked up an appetite for something a bit more substantial before her body began to turn on itself for dinner.

The last mile seemed to drag on more than the last five. Shade's back and shoulders ached from carrying the backpack. Although it wasn't too heavy, any kind of weight seemed to get old after carrying it for a while. She was not cut out for this hiking crap. Being sweaty, thirsty and, worst of all, having a thin layer of dirt that clung to everything and her skin made her cranky and exhausted. There were streaks across her face from the mixture of sweat and dirt. Her hair frizzed out from under her cap, and some of it was stuck to her moist neck, which was itching up a storm. She suspected she had a blister or two forming on her feet, and her knees felt like they were going to fall apart.

Gritting her teeth, she rounded one of the last hills and gasped. The mouth of a cave roared above them. It was pitch black and very broad. The dirt and grass continued into the cave until the blackness swallowed it up. The wind howled over the hole, wailing eerily. To Shade, it did not seem like anyone lived there. This can't be it.

The rest of the gang gathered around the entrance as Ewan held up his hands to the air and mumbled some words. Shade looked about, not seeing anyone else around them. The feeling of being watched returned with a vengeance. Her eyes moved up the cliffs that gave way to a jagged overhang. The rock formation was shaped like a half moon, and it wasn't just a simple hole or opening in the wall. The rocks were expansive, and they looked as if they may crumble onto anyone who dared to walk into the cave underneath it.

A shiver of glamour swept over her and all around the cave, like ripples in a pool of water. Of course! The looming stones were a deterrent, like a spell of reluctance to whoever passed by, making them fear the large hanging rocks and stay clear of them. As Ewan spoke softly, the glamour melted away, revealing an enormous double door. The door had intricate carvings and was made of dense wood that appeared old and weathered. Shade drew in her breath, amazed at how beautiful it was.

The wood blended into the shades of rock around it and seemed to fade into the background if she did not stare right at it. Wow, what kind of people live here to make such a fascinating place? She watched as the group gathered around the great doorway while Ewan gave the enormous doors a good shove. They creaked loudly as they opened. The groan they emitted made it clear they were rarely used. He motioned for the group to follow him.

As they entered the archway, the darkness swallowed them. Soon after, flickering lights ignited from the torches that lined the walls. The doors slammed behind them with a thunderous clap. Everyone jumped, and some had even drawn their weapons while staring at the giant doors. It seemed they had closed by themselves because no one in the group had closed them. There was no one else in the room. This is unsettling. Shade turned back toward the darkness ahead. Where is everyone? She followed her group while thinking this, wondering when the people who lived there would greet them.

They walked deeper into the dismal cave to where it led into a massive room. There were tall stone columns that reached high above them, made of the same grey-streaked white rock as the rest of cave. There appeared to be no one there, but to Shade's surprise, the torches around the room began to light up by themselves to brighten the space. Soon after, figures appeared out of the shadows, also holding torches. They materialized from the darkness in the blink of an eye. Each one of them was dressed in guard's uniforms, and they were engulfed in white and blue flames while electricity crackled along their skin. Shade thought of Jack and his powers. Surely, they must be Teleen.

The guards came to a stop in the middle of the room, completely surrounding them. Their eyes shone luminously, and their bodies rippled with the heat of their fire. They scared Shade, and she struggled to contain her shock. They were much more frightening than Jack had been, maybe because there were so many of them. She hoped they were not going to harm them. They made her hair stand on end as their magic and power buzzed across the room. It was like a swarm of bees or static tingling on her skin.

"Um, Ewan, are we in danger here?" Sary shouted to the giant, one hand on her bow and the other with an arrow ready to fly if needed.

He waved back at her, shaking his head but not responding. His other hand flew up, palm facing the guards as he spoke. "Guard of the Teleen, we're here under the invitation of your queen. Our Queen, Zinara, has sent word of our arrival. Please stand down. I demand to speak with the Captain of the Guard."

The group tightened together as the guards' proximity grew closer. Everyone backed into each other as sword after sword were drawn and arrows nocked. Knives were also unsheathed and glinting. Everyone was ready, except Shade.

She was sweating and feeling her stomach knot into a tight cramp. She pulled one of her own knives out of her pack, shaking profusely as she gripped it. Once again, she realized her lack of training for a fight. She felt naked and exposed as she shrank into the circle of bodies around her and let them shield her from the guards.

The Captain of the Guard stepped up and pointed his sword at the ground. He glowed a brilliant white-blue all over his exposed skin. The fire burned so brightly, it hurt Shade's eyes to look at him. He seemed to realize this and immediately weaved glamour over his lighted body, assuming a more human appearance. The tan skin over his large muscles still seemed to glow slightly as the fire receded. His eyes were a blue-green fire that slowly turned to steel gray and gleamed in the torchlight. He was extremely handsome and had his long, black hair pulled taut into a low ponytail. In awe of him, Shade sucked in her breath. His charm ended as he spoke and narrowed his eyes at them, smirking.

"So, this is Queen Zinara's last hope? Don't really look like much, do you?" He laughed, but it sounded full of spite more than anything.

"Dylan," Jack responded. "Good to see you again. It's been a long time."

The captain briefly scrutinized Jack but barely acknowledged him. "You were so easy to surround and entrap. I thought for sure that she'd have known better than to send such a weak force to do the job of soldiers. I'll never understand her ways." He walked around the group, eyeing them with disdain. Their weapons were drawn, but no one seemed to be holding them in readiness. Everyone was waiting. Waiting for what? Shade wished she knew.

Dylan came around to stand by Shade, having passed through the ring of warriors in the group as if they were not even there. He inspected Shade with an intensity that dug into her skin. He reached out to her to touch her cheek, but she stepped back, remembering what Jack had told her about touching a Teleen. He could electrocute her if he wanted to. She was not going take the chance to find out.

"Are you afraid of me?" Dylan sneered as his hand returned to his side. He seemed to be pondering a thought as his eyes pierced back at her. Shade made no further movements but avoided his glare. Leaning forward, he tilted his head slightly, whispering just loud enough for her to hear him, "You rightfully should be."

He gave his head the slightest of shakes and spun back around toward his guards. Signaling them to back off, he turned back to the travelers and addressed them all.

"I have announced you to our queen. She'll be most pleased to meet all of you, especially your precious halfling." He chuckled, sending a tingle across Shade's skin. He wasn't just Teleen. She was willing to bet he was something else, too. She was almost sure of it. Even so, she wasn't quite sure that he knew it. Jack couldn't do magic with his voice like this one could. Shade shivered from the after effects of his rippling laughter and close proximity. She ran her hands up and down her arms, trying to rub the feeling away with the warmth of friction. Shade wondered why she could sense that he was different. Maybe a power of hers was finally waking up.

After the captain had signaled for them to leave, the guards departed, falling into step with each other. No one was quite relaxed yet, remaining on alert. The group fell in behind the soldiers and followed. The hall seemed to stretch on forever, and Shade's stomach grumbled again, making her glad that all the noise of the footsteps absorbed the sound of it. She hoped they would find a nice banquet waiting for them. She could only hope for such a thing from what she'd seen so far.

The ground was also made of stone, smoothed down and worn from years of use. It was a darker gray, sandy in color with bits of red and yellow speckled throughout it. The entire hall was the same color. There were no decorations, and nothing but the burning torches to indicate that anyone even lived there. They reached the end of the great hall as it funneled into a smaller tunnel.

The torches continued along each side of the cave. The stone did not change much, and Shade could not find any doors, much less, windows. Claustrophobia seemed to creep in as she tried to slow her breathing to remain calm. The air was cold and never seemed to change in temperature. The smell of earth, mold, and humid dirt grew stronger the deeper they went. Shade swore she could hear water echoing far away and vibrating against the walls. These tunnels probably ran so deep that you could pop out on the other side of the world. Not really a comforting thought.

The hallway finally opened up once again. To Shade's surprise, it wasn't to a lair or anything she expected. A huge underground crevice loomed beneath them, opening up into a dark void. They were standing on a ledge that led to a creaky old bridge. The roof of the cave loomed high above them with small streams of sunlight spiking through and piercing the rocks above.

A bridge, Shade thought nervously. No way would she cross that. It was made of rope and wood, and it didn't look very sturdy. She sighed as she looked down over the ledge into a shadowy abyss. She could hear some water echoing and splashing down the sides of the ridge just to her right. There was probably an underground river down there, but it wasn't visible from this far up. The air was cooler and filled with light misty water sprays that she didn't find comforting. Shade was so engrossed in staring at the rickety bridge that she didn't realize the captain was now standing by her. He was watching her reaction intently with a slight smile playing on his lips. He seemed to be enjoying her horror at having to cross the creaky bridge.

"So what's so special about you? You look less than ordinary." Dylan regarded her, his breath pressing on her ear from his closeness. She turned and almost bumped noses with the captain. He didn't budge but seemed to lean closer, invading her space so much, Shade actually had to take a step back. He was still glamoured, and before she could complete her step, he gripped her arms to pull her back toward him. His fingers dug in with just enough pressure to hurt her skin. Shade's breath caught in her throat, and she was half relieved he hadn't shed his glamour to shoot her up with electricity. She knew darn well he could at any time.

"Let go of me! What do you want?" She pulled, but his grip was firm. His breath was hot and sent shivers down her neck as he pulled her to him. His arms embraced her like a lover sweeping up his mistress. Her skin prickled as he let some static electricity seep around her, making her gasp with fear. She heard clinks of swords drawn behind her. He ignored it.

"You almost slipped off the edge." He gave her an amused grin. "Is this how you say 'Thank you,' human? I was just watching out for you. You don't have me fooled. I don't know what Queen Zinara actually has planned, but the Teleen will not fall for her jests. She can fight her own fight. You are not true fey. You barely reek of fey blood. I have more magic in my finger than you possess in your entire body. I intend to find out what trick is behind this so-called quest that will supposedly save us all." With that, he let her go abruptly, making her lose her step as she stumbled to regain her balance. Soap caught her mid-stumble as Jack stood before the captain.

"That's enough, Dylan," Jack stated firmly as he put himself between the captain and Shade. "We have no quarrel. We are here under Teleen protection, and you act hostile toward your own guests. The Queen will not be pleased, knowing your hospitality was so lacking." His chest puffed out, and his head tilted down, apparently challenging Dylan.

Relieved that someone had come to her aid, she turned toward Soap, who was holding her tightly. Her nerves were shredded, and she was afraid her knees would crumble beneath her.

Dylan snickered and turned back to the bridge. Walking forward to the edge of the landing, he turned around and gave her a smirk. He was enjoying the growing terror on her face as he continued walking backward over the ledge.

Shade screamed but stopped suddenly, not believing her eyes. The captain kept walking backward as he floated on air and started laughing loudly while shaking his head. He then turned and continued while the rest of the guard also laughed, following behind him. They obviously got a kick out of watching their visitors panic when they learned about the invisible bridge. The entire guard walked across and did not fall into the ravine.

They have an invisible bridge? Shade and the group followed, slowly sheathing their weapons. They stepped tentatively onto the bridge, which was seemingly made of air, still not convinced it was solid. Shade cautiously walked forward. It was like standing on glass, and she was surprised her legs didn't go through. Peering down, she could see the looming darkness below, swallowing up the rocks.

Shade took a deep breath and continued following the rest of the warriors, trying not to look down and through the glass bridge. The cold air wasn't comforting, for she didn't know where the sides of the glass bridge were or how narrow it could very well be. She made sure she didn't step anywhere the guards hadn't stepped already.

On the other side, they re-entered a cave, but this one branched into three tunnels. Everyone stayed to the left and continued down the dark corridor until they reached another large room. It was so brightly illuminated as if the daylight sun was shining in, but Shade couldn't find any windows. However, she did see other Teleen, scores of them.

The guard had split up around the room and lined the walls in a single file. High stone columns with veins of multi-colored cracks laced with gold were at the room's edges. Large drapes of fabric spilled down the walls in colors of crimson and jade, bringing warmth to the cold, stone-lined walls. Everyone inside the room wore brightly colored clothing, the women with long flowing dresses. The men were more conservative with crisp tunics and pants made of either linen or leather.

The Teleen were all staring, as though they'd never been taught that it could be considered rude. Maybe it wasn't. It could be commonplace among the fey to stare. Whispers floated in the air as people commented on the new arrivals. Some reached out to touch them, pulling at their clothes in soft tugs of curiosity. Some of the women even blushed and giggled as Jack walked by them.

Some of the Teleen wore glamour, covering their electrifying blue-fire skins, looking ethereal with their translucent skin and large eyes. Some were glamoured to appear human but were far too beautiful to pass for them. Their noses were thin and straight, and they had large almond shaped eyes with perfect, luscious rose-colored lips. She wondered how much time they actually spent with humans outside this morbid place. Jack and Soap did an excellent job on their own glamours. At least they could blend in. They had studied well.

There was a throne in the center of the far wall, and large gray, sleek and worn stone steps led to the massive dais. The queen's throne sat upon the great platform. It was also stone, but was lighter, harder and more intricately carved. It looked to be made out of marble, but Shade was no expert. Different colored veins ran through the stone, but they did not break up the smoothness of the carvings.

The Queen observed Shade with large obsidian eyes. They were very similar to Lady Blythe's luminous insect eyes, and she didn't glamour herself either. Her fiery blue skin glowed brightly and seemed to hum with the crackle of electricity or lightning. There were constant flames flowing over her body. Her hair also looked afire but didn't burn. It was dark with a highlight of blue crackling through it.

So that is what a full Teleen woman looks like unshielded? Shade thought. She'd noticed some of the guard and attendees were in full Teleen glow as well.

They reached the throne when Ewan knelt down before the blue lightning queen with his head bowed. Everyone followed suit as he spoke. "Your Majesty, Queen Gretel of the Teleen, we've come from the Guildrin clan in the city of Aturine and greet you with open arms and love from our Queen Zinara. We were told of your great hospitality and ask of you permission to rest the night and continue our journey tomorrow."

The Queen glanced around at them, taking in what she saw. She nodded the slightest of nods and spoke with a voice that echoed off the walls and rippled through the air like a cool mountain breeze. "Please stand. I am aware of your coming from my sister Zinara. She has spoken well of all of you, and I find you most deserving of her praise.

"Please also forgive my Royal Guards. They find tormenting any visitors to be quite amusing. We don't get too many visitors here, as you can see. We're an isolated clan and the last of the Teleen bloodlines. I find it a great pleasure that I'm able to aid you on your quest to the Santiran fountains. Please, make yourselves comfortable and accept our great hospitality."

She waved her arm to the crowd as they stood and found that tables were set up in two rows, one on either side of them. One by one, tiny flying demi-fey servants came out and placed candelabras, bowls, goblets, and overflowing platters of food on the tables. They were dressed in great long robes of flowing linen that rustled around them in smooth waves. Fruits, meat, and rolls of soft bread filled the middle of the great tables. Shade felt her stomach rumble with hunger, and all of them were looking at each other with glee dancing on their faces.

They filed around a table and eagerly sat down at the end nearest the Queen. The Queen had a table set up right in front of her with anything she asked for. There were stone plates and wooden forks and knives already set up in front of each of them. The small faeries, which laid out the table and food, were now darting back and forth. They were so quick and efficient at their job; all that could be seen of them was a blur of wings and hands.

Shade watched them, fascinated by how tiny they were with their wings as thin as tissue. Still, they held the little stick-thin figures effectively in the air. The ones she was able to gaze upon longer showed her their tiny faces with perfect small lips and straight noses. Most had jet-black, body-length hair. Some tied their hair back, and some left it hovering around them like capes. Their large almond, insect-like eyes were black as night and blinked at her curiously. None of them smiled but just flitted by her, leaving a gust of cool air as they raced by.

Shade could feel the exhaustion seeping from her bones. The food was working on her already and helped fill the void in her stomach. Sleep was pulling at her eyes, and her body ached with every stretch and movement. She looked around at her friends, who also seemed tired as they quietly munched on the great feast. She had stuffed her belly full and felt a twinge of regret with the pain of her swollen stomach, making it hard to breathe.

Shade sat back in her chair and looked across the table. On the parallel stone table straight across from her was Captain Dylan. He stared at her and smiled. His face took on a softer look as he nodded to her with his cup held up in the air. He set it down and was interrupted by a guard to his left. Shade glanced at the man who was now leering at her as he spoke softly to the captain. He had a similar facial structure but looked a bit younger than the captain.

Shade was betting they were related. She barely noticed they were both looking back at her now. The other guard's dark stare was just that much colder than Dylan's. She probably had stared too long and felt her cheeks flush, turning quickly away to hide behind her goblet of sweet punch. She pushed away her plate and glimpsed at her friends, praying they'd be heading to their rooms soon to sleep.

"Shade, are you done? We're headed to our chambers soon. Ready to go?" Braelynn asked as she gave her a flashing smile. Relieved, Shade nodded and stood, following them as they began to file out.

A dark-haired and pale-skinned Teleen woman stood in front and waited for them to gather around. She smiled broadly at someone and held her arms out. Shade craned her neck to see whom she was grinning at. Jack melted into the embrace, hugging the woman tightly. As he began pulling back, the woman hung on a little longer. It was just long enough to whisper something into Jack's ear. He then pulled back abruptly, frowned at her, shook his head, and answered her sternly but softly enough that no one else was privy to the conversation. Shade wondered who the woman was and how she knew Jack.

Jack turned back to the group, now composed, with a face of serenity. He cleared his throat and spoke loudly for all of them to hear. "Okay, guys, Sylphi here is going to join us and show us to our rooms. We'll be spread out some, for these are natural caves and are quite large. Don't go wandering either. These tunnels travel far, and it's easy to get lost. If you absolutely must, please only leave your room accompanied by someone else." He waved for them to come forward, and they all filed in by twos behind him and Sylphi. Sylphi kept trying to inch up near him, but he avoided her advances by stepping back and cramming in beside Shade and Braelynn.

"Shade, how are you finding the trek? Getting too tired?" He smiled down at her and completely ignored Sylphi's raging glare. The woman turned back toward a large tunnel they were all following. Joining her were Captain Dylan and his near-relative looking guard from the table.

"Um, it's ok. My muscles are killing me. I've never felt so sore in my life. I think I might have some blisters on my feet that are hurting something awful. I'm really not an outdoors type, so this is really a big push for me."

"Ah, you will need Sari's famous foot soak. That'll take care of anything on your feet for sure. I am sure she will have something for your muscle aches as well. This journey will take a toll on us all. I'll have her stop by your room after she gets settled," Jack said.

Sylphi was giggling and turned back toward them. "Shade, you might like Darren's famous massage. He'll definitely make you forget any pain you ever have felt. And more...." Her voice had a singsong way, but with a definite malicious tone to it. She playfully patted Darren's back.

"Thank you, Sylphi. I'll try to make myself useful for anyone who wishes." Darren, Captain Dylan's sidekick, snickered. Shade swallowed, thinking the massage somehow did not sound like something she'd need at all.

"That's enough from both of you. I'm sure they're much too tired from the long journey and just want to get some shuteye. Just show them their rooms already," Captain Dylan snapped. He grumbled under his breath and gave Shade a dark look. She wondered why he didn't like her. He doesn't even know me. Why would he be so mean?

It's because the unknown is a thing to fear, Shade. Never forget that, the voices chimed in.

Shade sighed. She had to agree with them. She just wasn't so sure about the company here tonight. It was Darren, in particular, who gave her the heebie-jeebies. He just seemed to radiate some kind of evil. She wasn't sure why he was chosen to be one of their escorts; it didn't seem very appropriate somehow. Shade glanced at Sylphi. She's no better.

The dark-haired Sylphi was hanging off of Jack's arm now, whispering something into his ear. Shade wondered if those two had a thing for each other, or if it was one-sided. From the look on Jack's face, he did not seem to mind her hanging on him, but frowned every now and then at some of her comments and giggling.

She reminded Shade of the mean girls back at school, always finding a victim to torture amongst the high school kids. Sylphi was the kind of girl who would make snide comments to a good girl and send her to the bathroom with tears of humiliation streaming down her face. Shade narrowed her eyes and shook her head. Those kinds of girls thrive on others' suffering. It'd probably be best to straight out avoid her, Shade thought. At least they were only here for a night and would not have to endure the Teleen's 'hospitality' too much longer.

"What are you thinking about, dear Shade? Have we offended you in some way? You're shaking your head with such disdain. Has your stay been so unpleasant so far?" Sylphi asked, suddenly at Shade's side. She slipped her hand around Shade's arms and bent closer to her. Her pale skin shone like moonlight, only with a slightly bluer tinge to the glamour she wore. The smell of roses and another fragrant scent surrounded her as she invaded Shade's personal space.

"Jack's mine, you know. I do hope you understand. That's if, of course, you were getting any ideas about him," Sylphi whispered to her. "We're to be married soon. I know that, being a woman, you understand how rare it is to find such a wonderful, strong, and handsome man like Jack. Just letting you know how very much he has missed me. I feel so overjoyed to have him back. He stays away far too long. Oh, here we are now!"

She paused, smiling intensely for Shade. It was a smile that seemed to cut into Shade like a knife, full of things wickedly unsaid. "Your room, my dear. Do have a good rest. You'll need it!"

Shade scurried into the room and turned to see Darren leaning by the open door with arms crossed, smiling at her.

"Do let me know if you change your mind about the massage. I find you most fascinating, Shade. I've never met a human before. It's been quite a delight." He snickered, bowing as he left. Darren shut the door for her, and when it clicked, Shade ran to it and turned the lock as quickly as she could.

Leaning against the smooth wood, she finally let her breath out. Somehow, she did not feel right. Something about this place was setting alarms off in her head like crazy. She pulled her pack off and rubbed her shoulders, looking around the room for the first time.

The room was gorgeous. It was a cave, and it didn't have any windows. The air was cold with an undertone of dampness that left a bit of a chill. There was a nice large bed at the far wall, just opposite the door. It was piled with fluffy pillows and soft blankets and was neatly arranged to not seem messy, but comfy. There was a wooden table to one side of the room, long and polished smooth from use, that she placed her pack on. Above it was a silver mirror with a vine design frame that had crystals embedded all around the edges. It was breathtaking but seemed out of place in that room.

Shade stood there, staring at her reflection. She looked tired. A thin layer of dust seemed to stick to her skin and hair. That wasn't what stopped her though. The mirror looked like it had a tiny ripple in it. It was as though she was gazing at her reflection in a still pool of water. It looked smooth and almost see-through. She reached out her hand, letting her fingers almost caress the surface.

Suddenly, almost as if something had turned it off, the mirror was once again solid. Shade's fingers clinked against the hard glassy surface. It was nothing more than a plain mirror. Shade stared at it for a moment longer, shaking her head again. Nothing is as it seems here. She felt like Alice, deep down in the rabbit hole.

She let out a breath and turned toward a door in the wall of the cave that was next to the table. She turned the crystal and wood knob slowly, praying that nothing awful would jump out at her. It turned easily and opened into a well-lit bathroom. She laughed, relieved by the normalcy of it. A bathroom... It was both modern and well-equipped, with a massive claw-foot tub on one side and a large shower. The shower itself had several showerheads installed, but no door, and a drain on the floor. She reached in, turned the curved silver knob on the wall, and watched with amazement as water fell like rain pouring out of the spouts. She beamed; the water was the perfect temperature. Soaps and a sponge were on a ledge near the end of the shower, wrapped in twine and topped with a bow. Shrugging off her clothes, she stepped into the pouring water. It felt fantastic. The hot water ran down her skin and rinsed the day's soil away, swirling dirt down the drain.

Shade hadn't checked for towels before entering the shower, but a glance around the room revealed a neat stack of them set out on the counter. Turning the shower off, she stepped out and pulled one out of the stack, wrapping it snugly around her body. She didn't feel any cold since the steam and warmth of the water seemed to remain with her. She pulled another towel out to rub her hair, twisting it around her head to absorb the water. She'd left her bag with her clothes in the bedroom. Groaning, she hoped it wasn't too cold when she exited the warm cocoon of the misty bathroom.

The room was as she'd left it. Glancing toward the door, she listened for any movement or voices. The stone walls seemed to insulate the rooms very well, and she didn't hear anyone. Natural soundproofing, she pondered, rummaging through her pack. She managed to find and pull out a deep blue nightgown with a pair of underwear. After quickly dressing, she noticed the cold air from the bedroom was starting to penetrate her skin.

Shade shivered and rubbed her arms. Her hair was still wet from the shower and felt cool on her shoulders. There was something else though, making her stop what she was doing as she felt goose bumps flare across her skin. She looked around the room and couldn't figure out why she was suddenly so cold. She heard what sounded like a whisper, but saw nothing. Where had that voice come from? She held her breath, listening hard for anything else.

Her eyes darted around as she waited. None of her spirit guides responded to her inner pleas as if a mute button had been pushed. She didn't like it one bit. Something was very wrong. Shade grabbed one of her daggers from her pack and listened once more. Nothing jumped out at her, and there were no more whispers. Her heart raced and pounded in her ears. She held her breath, listening and frowning. It was probably nothing. Shaking off the crazy feelings, she tossed the dagger on the vanity table and walked to the bed. She slipped under the soft sheets and pulled one of the thick quilts on top of her. Looking around once more, she stared at the mirror one more time.

Is it rippling again? She shivered and felt uneasy. I need to rest. I'm just exhausted and drained. That's why I'm starting to see things. Tomorrow will be here before I know it. She then decided to reach for her pack and pulled out her cell phone. It still had a charge on it, but she doubted there would be an outlet here to top it off. It read 10:45pm. Ugh, it's getting super late!

They planned to regroup for breakfast at six am and after that, continue on their journey. She pulled out her charger and glanced down the wall near the floor. The lamp plugged into the wall, so there had to be an open outlet just next to it. She couldn't believe her luck as she plugged her cell phone in. Faeries with modern technology, who knew? She wondered if all the rooms were like this or was she the only one with modern comforts in her room. For certain, there'd be iron in the conduits running through the stone walls.

Shade shrugged. She'd have to ask Jack about it later. The Teleen wouldn't be bothered by it, but what about her friends? It was something to ask about. The palace at Guildrin didn't have such amenities. The light came from torch and candle, and from some weird magical spell that illuminated the place as brightly as natural sunlight.

Shade lay back, sinking into the bed and sheets. She let the blankets envelope around her, embracing the body heat trapped in the soft sheets, which made the bed feel like heaven. Reaching over, she clicked the lamp back off, trying to avoid looking at the creepy mirror again and instead closed her eyes, letting herself slip away into sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 54.2K 29
She's fae. He's human. He should never have followed her into the magic realm... Violet has one job: protect humans from dangerous magical creatures...
21.9K 3.5K 73
FEATURED ON WATTPAD'S OFFICIAL FANTASY, ROMANCE, MAGIC, STORIES UNDISCOVERED AND SPECULATATIVE FICTION PROFILES. "Rose run!" A voice yelled from all...
1K 353 22
There has long been peace in the world of Miri Brightday. That lull of tranquillity, however, is about to end. Sages from every nation have declared...
119K 3.6K 46
Completed. AzrielxFemale OC - Slow Burn, Fluff, Smut, Soft Az. Lots of Action/Story/Other character involvement. "Coming back is like swimming up to...