ATLOP: Trial by Fire

Від WardofWinters

Percy was having a normal day at the beach, until he decided to try to waterbend like Katara from his favorit... Більше

The Boy in the Ocean
The Painted Boy
The Sea Scroll
The Green God
The Awakening
Family of Walls and Secrets
The Ocean
The Crossroads of Destiny
I Accidentally Vaporize My Pre-Algebra Teacher
Three Old Ladies Knit Socks of Death
Grover Unexpectedly Loses His Pants
My Mother Teaches Me Bullfighting
I Play Pinochle With A Horse
I (Don't) Become Supreme Lord of the Bathroom
I Capture a Flag
Percy's Lost Days
I Am Offered a Quest
I Ruin a Perfectly Good Bus
We Visit the Garden Gnome Emporium
We Get Advice from a Poodle
I Plunge to my Death
I Become a Known Fugitive
A God Buys Us Cheeseburgers
We Tie the Knot with Spiders
We Have a Heart to Heart
The Lives Lost to Make a Legend
The Hotel of Sandy Moons
Deep Diving with Sharks
Annabeth Does Obedience School
We Find out the Truth, Sort of
I Battle my Jerk Relative
I Settle My Tab
Moms and Step-sisters
Homecomings and Celebrations
Life When All is Well
The Prophecy Comes True
Of the Ocean's Rage
Q&A and Kidnappings

Prince of the Sea

9K 334 670
Від WardofWinters

I have a PJO discord if anyone would like to chat about PJO here: https://discord.gg/3tGNJhu

This chapter is longer than the others, hope you enjoy!

4/2/2022

OO OO OO OO

Fish were horrible gossips, everyone in the sea knew that. Triton found their habit of gossiping to be very useful, there was plenty of information to gather from it.

But this news...

There were whispers of a child skilled in manipulating water in the rivers of New York, no parent to be seen.

A child with legs and a mortal smell, yet dripping in salt water and seaweed all the same.

The child's presence was fainter than any DemiGod of the sea's would be, yet he was powerful.

Perhaps the child of a minor river God was learning their powers?

As the Prince of the Sea, and Heir of Poseidon, it was one of his responsibilities to ensure that such children were checked on, and if needed handle their care.

Thus he went to see them.

OO OO OO OO

This child was no minor Sea DemiGod.

The water swirled around at his command, he whispered to the river and it whispered back, the eyes of the local Gods on him.

His control was better than half of the students of Analia Verainav'a, Atlantis' elite academy.

The boy froze the water as easily as he raised a coil to remove pollution, as if Tevemoa wasn't a rare skill for any not of icy realms of the North (and there was no ice in his presence, if anything he reminded Triton of his birth waters, warm and rich in the Mediterranean).

The amount of skill he portrayed...

Oh Triton could have assumed the child was of Sedna, or another Northern God, but his presence alone would dissuade Triton.

And that was without seeing his eyes.

Sea green pools that reflected the river around him.

The hallmark of Poseidon's children.

OO OO OO OO

Triton watched his half-brother for a time.

He was unsure what to do about him. He was alone, but clearly cared for in some capacity. The jacket was nice, and his clothes worn, but cared for. And yet there were no teachers instructing him, not even one disguised as Poseidon would normally do.

The boy was also not following any training sequence Triton knew of, and he knew many. So there was no chance of him having been instructed another time, and working through the training alone.

He had been confused at the start of watching the boy, for he was raising water out of the river and then putting it back. But now he understood, the child was cleaning the river.

Triton wasn't sure why, the pollution was great and every bit helped of course, but most children did not care to clean the waters. Had he lost something?

So Triton continued to watch, studying the boy and trying to understand his actions.

He was clearly noticed, but the boy seemed used to the eyes of the local River Gods, and did not react much. He continued to raise the water, spin arcs around him with bright eyes as he shaped stars and cats and fish and spun them all around him. The light shone on him as they splashed down, a wave rising as he swirled large swathes of water around him, out away from him.

Ice crackled across water, hardening rapidly as the boy worked out in deeper water, solid and thick and steady.

Triton questioned the local fish, finding an eel close to the child who informed him that the boy had been cleaning for almost two seasons.

Nothing seemed to add up about this spawn of his Metuno. His presence was dim, drenched in mortality for all he was not . His power and knowledge was not reflected in his existence, and yet Triton could not sense the strongest of protections on him. He had no teacher, yet improved quickly, clearly working through some form of training, working towards some goal.

He cleaned the river freely, asking nothing of the local fish or creatures in exchange.

Triton had had enough of watching, it was time to speak to this half-brother of his.

OO OO OO OO

His name was Persi.

OO OO OO OO

Persi knew absolutely nothing of his heritage.

There wasn't the slightest hint of knowing his father was more than human, was a God . There was no knowledge that his powers were a gift, an inheritance. He didn't even know the Gods were real and present . He hadn't even begun to mention them to Triton, who was himself one.

There was no sign of recognizing Triton for who he was.

Triton was... confused.

All of his Metuno children in the past had known at least something . Every single one had some knowledge. Be it from their mortal parent teaching them as Poseidon wished (with knowledge shared by Poseidon) or by a tutor sent by Poseidon, to ensure his child would have knowledge of their heritage.

It was usually not much , there wasn't a huge amount to do with the Ancient Laws in place, but- the children would know who they were, would know their other half, the culture and beliefs and practices and powers .

Yet Persi called his Tevomoa (Thermomancy would be its closest equivalent in English Triton believed) waterbending, as if it were simply Paipave.

Controlling water and manipulating water and ice as if they were one and the same, with all the steps in between, were not the same thing.

And yet he treated them as such.

The more Triton watched the more he worried. The boy was alone, with no guidance, and a mortal parent that was clearly not present (or if they were, not guiding him). And it was winter, a dangerous time for mortals. He knew many died in winter in older years, and even in recent times they grew weaker in such time.

Persi was too young to risk his health like that.

And to do so to practice in the water with no guidance- he could make a fatal mistake with no one to know.

This could not stand, but Triton was unsure of what to do about it.

OO OO OO OO

The boy asked Triton if Triton was named... after himself.

Triton had to resist the laugh that wanted to escape, what a question. The innocence was refreshing, yet equally worrisome.

His brother was a dangerous combination of powerful yet ignorant, and Triton should not allow that to continue. But all the same Persi desperately needed every little protection.

Triton was still unsure of what to do, but for the time... he decided to teach Persi himself.

His father was hiding Persi's existence for some reason (the vow?), not even informing his Mevu like he'd sworn to do.

Triton would respect his Metua and Arila in this, but he could not allow Persi to be uneducated all the same.

He would keep the Gods a secret, but Persi would learn his culture.

OO OO OO OO

Triton really should have informed Poseidon about Persi the moment he realized. If his Metu didn't already know of Persi, then it was Triton's responsibility to inform him.

And yet...

His Metu surely had to know of him, especially with the vow in place.

And if he knew and was keeping it silent then should Triton bring it up?

And should he be keeping silent, Triton had another issue.

Persi had no teacher. He had no one checking on him. There was no one of the sea present, no one to guide or protect him.

No tutor, no guard, no nothing .

Yes his Metu could normally not do much, but he always did what he could.

So why did he do nothing here?

He told no one, gave Persi nothing...

Amphitrite, Triton's Mevu, had a deal with Poseidon that she would be informed of all his illicit children. It was their agreement, he could be with any he wished so long as she knew of any children resulting from the union.

Yet she was not informed.

So Triton, in an almost petty act for himself, took his Mevuno side in this matter, though still did not defy his Mevu and Arila.

He did not know his Metuno reasons, and that was part of the issue. So he did not inform his Metu, but he respected his choice all the same and did not inform his Mevu either.

He did not try to hide it, such an act would go beyond keeping silent, but... he didn't go out of his way to advertise it.

He tended to visit on days that his Metu was busy, and took extra messages in his free time to seem busy.

He wondered at times if his Metu was watching in some way he did not know, a way that would hide his gaze from all looking on Persi. But he doubted it.

He wondered if that was why his Metu did not watch Persi, for he knew that all would be able to sense his gaze should they be near him.

Did he know Persi was skilled at Tevemoa? Did he know that his control would reach mastery levels in just a few years? Did he know of Persi's aim to clean the river? Or how his hair was getting longer? Or how small he was?

He didn't think his Metu knew, and he felt a pang at that.

His Metu always cared for his children, but sometimes in protecting them... well...

Triton knew there was a reason, whatever it was. He liked to think it was a very good reason even. And yet... he was angry for Persi, and for himself.

His Metu didn't trust him, didn't trust his Mevu, with the knowledge of this child. Whatever the reason he had shown that they were not trusted with this secret.

Perhaps he didn't know, perhaps this was a misunderstanding, but Triton could not find it in himself to believe that.

Persi's education was being crippled to keep him hidden, and he knew that he was hiding him- he knew that it was probably to keep Persi safe- but-

Triton shook his head. The reasons did not matter, not now. Persi needed guidance, and Triton was here and more than willing to give it where his Metu did not.

OO OO OO OO

The two River Gods of the Rivers were growing too interested in Persi with Triton there, so he'd had to run them off.

They had better things to do anyways, like perhaps cleaning their own vak rivers. They shamed all River Gods by sitting by and leaving a child to do all the work.

OO OO OO OO

Triton's half-brother was very skilled in Tevemoa. It was undeniable, for all he called it waterbending instead of Tevemoa, or even Thermomancy to use the English term.

But Triton knew that Tevemoa (Paipave really) was only one skill of a child of the sea, and Persi was entirely untrained in weapons.

That would need to change.

They would start with a trident, as was proper. It was the traditional weapon of the Poseidon Family, and it would be an insult to his heritage to not learn to use it.

Of course the boy had to turn to Tevemoa even in weapons, crafting a trident of ice when Triton had been about to summon one for him.

It was brittle, roughly shaped, and easy to fracture... but it was balanced and clearly a trident.

Triton was impressed.

It shattered in a single blow the first time, but over time it grew stronger and stronger. And Triton knew how rare such skill was, particularly to form a shape at the growing speed Persi had.

Persi would be powerful one day.

OO OO OO OO

Triton was very confused by how his half-brother got expelled.

Who expelled a child for obeying instructions?

Who cared if they were dropped in a shark tank? Sharks were darlings, not the slightest bit dangerous. He'd had dozens of pet sharks over the years, and many more companions. They were less mischievous than octopi.

But really, the fact that it was blamed on Persi when it was clearly the guide's fault...

Well perhaps the guide would enjoy being introduced to a true sea monster.

OO OO OO OO

Persi was far too behind in... literally everything except Tevemoa (where he was miles ahead of his peers).

If he'd been raised in the sea he would've known the basics of law, history, culture, movements, speech, fighting, and more. He'd know of the magics of the sea, and know his position.

Most of his half-siblings didn't have nearly that knowledge, they did live their lives on land, their education was always focused more on that (though they would learn their culture, their history-) but Persi was here, and interacting with the sea already.

He needed to be taught more.

Persi was an Aipri, he was one of the Sea Princes... or Triton felt he should've been one. That was up to his Metu officially, but Persi was at the least a Rakil.

Thankfully Triton could teach Persi without worrying of keeping him ignorant of the Gods. Ignorance wasn't the best protection, but it was certainly better than nothing.

Persi already believed merfolk had their own underwater society (which... he was right, but the Gods were intimately connected to that).

Triton could work with that though.

So he gathered books free of references to the Gods (beyond Their worship) and handed them off to Persi, along with a dictionary to Halmaheran.

He knew land dwellers couldn't really know Halmaheran but all the same... what were they teaching them?

OO OO OO OO

There was so much going on in the sea, it was miserable .

First there was some foolish submarine expedition that interrupted a deep sea diving class (it was very important to learn how to regulate your breathing and adjust yourself to the temperature and pressure). Triton had had to slip the mortals minds away from it, convincing them it was a technological error and lack of sleep that made them see merfolk when it was clearly just some fish.

Then the Moon Fall protests happened, protesting the oil drilling the land-dwellers were doing. They wanted Poseidon to destroy the drills and free the sea of them. They were right to be worried, but unfortunately destroying the drills wouldn't stop the land-dwellers for long (and ran the risk of oil spilling out).

Of course, shortly after the Spring Equinox they were vindicated, though no one was pleased about that.

A massive oil spill occurred.

Some oil drilling ring in the Gulf of Mexico exploded, something within faulty, and it sank. This released the oil within, and opened the drill hole to leak thousands of gallons into the ocean.

It was a massive rescue operation to save as many as possible.

Merfolk had to be relocated, aided in cleaning and given medical attention for any oil absorbed or taken in by their gills. Millions, if not tens of millions, of sea creatures had to be rescued, cleaned, and moved. Territories were upset, the food chain disrupted in many locations, and the oil poisoned thousands.

Purifiers were out in droves to lessen the effects of the spill, to clean even a little bit from the water. They tried to contain it, raising lines of cleansing energy around the edges of the oil spill, but it was just too much. They couldn't stop it all, even when guiding the ocean currents to keep it contained to that part of the ocean. The Uomiet Aimapep the Earate Imote strengthened at least kept it from some shores, and kept it from spreading further, but the oil was doing massive damage.

Safe areas were being made, purifying bubbles were formed, injured and sick from the puhipata were taken to safety, given medical attention, and checked over.

Many would likely never recover fully, long term side effects weakening them, infecting their gills, making them sick and compromising their immune systems. Their livers were malfunctioning, and based on reports from prior oil spills, many would have issues with reproduction.

The young and the elderly were having particularly difficult times of it.

Mages were out in swarms to handle the mess, guiding currents, cleansing the water, healing the sick and injured, gathering the animals in the puhipata, and healing them .

There was so much to do, so many to rescue, there just wasn't enough time.

Much coral within the area of the immediate oil spill was stressed and dying, many sea creatures were sick, dead, dying, or washing up on shore and dying there.

Oil covered the ocean floor several inches deep, and more was spreading to the surface.

Thankfully there was some hope in Tethys creating a bacteria, or well, improving a previous bacteria to eat the oil. A slow but helpful addition.

The mortals were doing their own things to help, cleaning up sections, helping the animals on the shore, siphon it out, they poured something in the water to break up the oil- They were the cause but they did try to help.

But it took three months for the oil spill to be capped, to stop the oil from spilling out and poisoning the sea. It took another month before Triton could even begin to step back and breathe.

The clean up would take many years more.

OO OO OO OO

Checking on Persi was soothing, like a freshly snapped Sand Dollar.

He made sure Persi had done his readings and practiced Halmaheran, speaking to him in the language so he could get practice.

Persi was doing well, he was pleased.

He was suspicious about the river though, it was dirtier than when he left.

OO OO OO OO

His half-brother had just called him a great friend.

Triton... hadn't realized they were friends. He hadn't had one since- well they hadn't made it to the current day...

And then of course Athena - the less said about her the better.

He supposed... he supposed he could accept his half-brother calling him a friend. It was better than him guessing their relationship.

It certainly meant nothing to Triton, he was a God, he was not attached to his mortal brother.

OO OO OO OO

The little pemapo didn't tell Triton about his birthday!

Birthdays were important milestones! The tenth Veruo was was the year that children could join in on activities, though Persi shouldn't until his education had improved.

This would not stand though. Triton couldn't do nothing for Persi's birthday.

OO OO OO OO

Triton made sure to give Persi his presents soon after that, though he also discovered that some man "Smelly Gabe" wouldn't allow his brother to celebrate his birthday properly .

He had some nerve stopping a child from celebrating their birthday.

But today was for Persi, so he tucked his anger away and watched over Persi as he pulled out the Sand Dollar he'd made.

Triton could make dozens, hundreds, if he wanted to. And he'd made a large number for the oil spill clean up, but purification wasn't his strong suit and all the best were at the Gulf (including some that had been saved for hundreds of years).

He'd taken some time to make these the proper way for Persi, the traditional way rather than the rush way. They would absorb power naturally and be all the stronger for it.

He gifted both the Sand Dollars and a bracelet to Persi for his birthday.

The Bracelet's coral conch shell charm would keep him updated to Persi's health.

He had a feeling he'd want that in the future.

OO OO OO OO

Triton didn't understand his brother's obsession with his Tevemoa. He knew many went above and beyond, and it was truly advanced magic yes, but he was already ahead. Now was the time to hone other skills, so he wouldn't become reliant on Divine Power alone.

Besides, it drifted into toxai tahuhu to start learning how to draw water from plants. It was dangerous to reach there without proper training or guidance.

Persi was not in war, he didn't need to focus his skills in that direction. Plus, his Divine Power was that of a mortal , it would strain it to reach too far beyond. Stretching out one's power needed to be done carefully.

He could make a solid trident, and would soon have a practice one of his own, there was no need to work on more advanced Tevemoa.

So Triton worked to distract Percy, drilling him in physical training and preparing him for any battles to come.

OO OO OO OO

Triton had not succeeded at distracting his brother and Persi had found the time to learn to draw water from plants. He was very excited about it as well.

It was an impressive skill, if only because it was something most in the sea had no need for (being surrounded by water), and thus never bothered to learn. Only those who expected to fight on land worked to learn that skill... or those that wished to gain expertise in toxai tahuhu.

Triton would not be able to stop Persi's interesting in such forms of magic it seemed, but he could guide him away from the more dangerous areas.

He'd give Persi guidance and instruction, give him a focus for his curiosity and ensure that he would not endanger himself with it.

At least for a time it would mean less strain on himself, and safety from the risks that came with toxai tahuhu.

OO OO OO OO

Triton was very touched by the gift Persi had given him.

Persi had made him a bracelet.

He knew Persi knew the meaning, it was in the books on undersea culture Persi had been assigned to read. Persi had made Triton a bracelet as a gift.

It was a powerful show of how much he valued Triton's friendship.

He could feel the power Persi had unknowingly woven into it as well, dedicating himself to such a gift. It was a gift and a devotional act in one. Something prepared with care, the colors matching Triton and the charm to match his own weapon.

Triton's own gift could not compare.

The trident was a good gift, but it was an expected gift (if not until his thirteenth Veruo). It wasn't made by himself, nor customized for Persi. It was merely a practice trident, something practical and impersonal.

And it was something Poseidon really should've been the one to gift him as well. But Metu was busy pretending Persi didn't exist to the world.

Triton still understood there was a reason, but looking at his brother... he couldn't help but feel bitter on Persi's behalf.

But Persi seemed pleased with the gift, and so Triton simply made a personal vow to get better gifts in the future.

OO OO OO OO

Triton felt the strain of catching Persi up to all others in the ocean. He didn't have the time to teach him everything he needed to know, so he had to prioritize.

Current events were a main focus, and the kingdoms, territories, rulers, and basic customs of each kingdom of the sea. And of course, the magics of the sea.

Those were the most vital bits of information for Persi. Should he be expected to be a proper Aipri then he needed that information.

Triton would make sure he was ready.

OO OO OO OO

Triton was rarely surprised, and indeed he was not quite surprised here. But he was impressed.

He'd long since made guesses as to the forms of magic Persi would likely be best at, if only because of his skills in Tevemoa.

Those skills were extremely rare, the kind that were envied by masters for how quickly one could learn, and coveted in apprentices. Triton wondered at times if there was something else in his heritage that lent aid to such skills, for though he sensed nothing lining up Divine Power, there were other kinds of powers one could have.

Triton did expect Persi to also hold some skill in Siren's Song, due to his Metu being Poseidon. Most of Poseidon's children had some talent in the Song, however small, and Persi didn't seem to be an exception. It was there in how he whispered to the sea, in how he asked and called to it. He couldn't do any proper Songs, he was too young and the effects would be severe for him, but he had a talent. Only true naturals could risk learning sooner than fourteen, their lungs uniquely suited to handling the Song.

And then, due to Persi's determination to clean the river, Triton had guessed he would gain a skill in Vapaloa, or Purification. It was once valued for its lead into curse breaking, but with the pollution choking the world it was now valued for itself. Persi had displayed a clear subconscious skill for it.

His skills with Tevemoa were a natural talent to be sure, but they had been honed for three years with training and the kind of single minded focus that only a child with a Special Interest seemed capable of (that was what Persi had called it, his own mother apparently stating it was an aspect of his 'neurodivergency'). Those skills were Persi's focus, and it showed in how quickly he'd excelled in them.

If he'd shown that same dedication to Vapaloa then he'd no doubt be equally far in the skill, but instead he'd given it a side focus.

This did not prevent improvement, if only as a result of him cleaning the river. His powers interacted instinctively with the grime and his desire to clean . The water around him cleansed with his mere presence, the items gathered purged of dirt and grime quickly, and the water he spiraled up and out of the river released the various toxins and pollution much easier than the norm.

And of course Persi couldn't slowly work his way up in the skills, no. That would be too simple, though Triton did have to take some responsibility in not providing him with beginners guides to the matter. Persi had skipped straight to the advanced stuff the moment he'd decided to work on his purification.

Sand Dollars were extremely valuable, and extremely hard to make for most. Triton could form them with a thought, he was a God, but to form them the natural way? It took high levels of skill and control that were uncommon. And they were all the more valued for it, particularly should they have been allowed to sit for many years to gather power.

No Sand Dollars had the value of the ones kept in Atlantis' vault for the last few thousand years, not even ones made by Poseidon or Okeanus or even Tethys . Most kingdoms of the Sea had Sand Dollars stored in such a manner.

And in this, Persi had an advantage. He'd spent the last few years honing his control of water, not able to do big things in the river and thus focused on intricate levels of control. His practice in controlling multiple flows of water at once allowed him to do the multiple aspects of forming a Sand Dollar with more ease than most.

Those that went into Vapaloa to make Sand Dollars usually had a primary focus on Vapaloa, putting other magics to the side except in how it could help Vapaloa. But Persi was focused on Tevemoa, and that made all the difference for him.

He used Tevemoa with Vapaloa to form the Sand Dollars, showing a rare knack for them. Oh, he certainly wasn't able to create a proper Sand Dollar yet, but even the basic shape and beginnings of support within were far more than most could do.

His Tevemoa allowed him the fine control to shape the Sand Dollar and his Vapaloa gave him the skill to imbue it with the proper power.

Triton needed to encourage such skill.

OO OO OO OO

Triton did not understand land schooling. What kind of principal expelled a child for being next to an exhibit that collapsed? It certainly wasn't Persi's fault, no child could collapse a properly placed exhibit just by standing near it.

If it weren't for the fact the museum had excused Persi of fault then Triton would have dealt with them himself .

But Persi was excused, and so Triton distracted him from the unfair expulsion. He buried him in HIstory assignments and weapon training, catching him up in all the areas he was lacking.

They worked on swords quite a bit, they were a common weapon both in sea and on land. Knives would be good next, they were a solid gift.

And he should probably- should probably teach him spears-

Triton took a slow breath.

Not spears.

Not yet.

But they would work more on his trident as well, it was the weapon of Poseidon and the one Persi certainly had to master.

OO OO OO OO

Those filthy moniki aretov .

They dared to inform Persi that he was a demigod.

They dared to ruin a layer of his protection .

They dared to endanger Persi.

Persi had questions, naturally, and Triton had to answer them. If he didn't- Persi could seek out knowledge from less credible sources, or even endanger himself.

He promised to answer them, he had to, but he needed to be careful. Persi was already in enough danger exploring his powers so much, and Triton didn't know how much his mother's protection stood on him. He didn't want to risk destroying another layer of his protection.

But first, he needed to pay a little visit to those minor river Gods.

They wouldn't be missed.

OO OO OO OO

Triton smiled and nodded along with the generals speaking to him about some matter regarding training. He knew this was important, they had a lot of work to handle with conflicts rising from the oil spill.

But he was still bored.

And he very much wanted to be speaking with Persi instead. It was relaxing, he could drop his mask and just spend time with his little brother.

He understood why the Gods had the law against being too close to their mortal children, he would much rather be with Persi than doing his responsibilities alongside his Metu.

His only reassurance of Persi's safety was the conch shell pin he wore. It's steady presence let him know Persi was safe.

But still, when he was away he worried.

He should give Persi a way to escape from danger.

OO OO OO OO

Explaining the history of the Gods to his little brother was... difficult.

He had to take care, his brother was in enough danger already, Triton didn't want to endanger him more. Ignorance was a shield, and Triton dreaded being the one to pull that shield away.

It was too late to hide the information from Persi, but he couldn't get rid of all that protection.

He would keep the land from Persi. Perhaps that would allow some shield of ignorance from him, keeping him from looking at the Godly world on land (where his greatest dangers were).

And so Triton explained the most basics of the land Gods, explaining the dangers of learning more, then told him more of the sea. He answered as many of his questions he could, tying it to the ocean as much as possible.

He would keep Persi safe.

OO OO OO OO

Persi's skills in Vapaloa were improving quickly, Triton was glad.

The gift Persi gave him was very impressive, if unrefined. The Purification energy wouldn't last long, but the fact it was there at all showcased skill.

OO OO OO OO

Triton was quite reassured his brother had an escape route now, with the poturu that he gave Persi. It would bring him straight to Triton when broken.

And no one would look twice at a pretty pearl on his bracelet.

Persi would have an escape from danger, though Triton hoped it wouldn't be needed.

Of course, that wasn't the only gift. Triton also gave Persi a book on the Siren's Song as well.

It wasn't a big book, just one explaining the Song and how to prepare to use it.

The Song was too dangerous to allow Persi to start practicing on his own, that would wait till he was older. An instrument would do well for that, perhaps an Ocarina soon.

It wasn't good for any to practice using the Song until the age of fourteen at the earliest. It was hard to turn off the Song once you started using it, children of Aphrodite and naturals were the rare exceptions.

Percy was certainly not a natural from what Triton could see.

OO OO OO OO

Persi was attracting monsters, Triton was... not pleased.

This had to be a result of him finding out about the Gods, they were just lucky it was a young and weaker empousai.

The younger ones were slow to reform usually, and thus wouldn't be able to tell others of Persi.

Persi was very lucky.

Clearly water was Persi's go to though, a trident wouldn't help Persi if he didn't, or couldn't, use it.

Triton would need to start drilling him in how to weaponize water, rather than just using it for support.

OO OO OO OO

Triton was increasingly pleased with Persi's interest in Tahuhu. He had a great affinity for Tevemoa and Vapaloa, and through training could be skilled in several more magics.

Such affinities as Tevemoa and Vapaloa usually came with other drawbacks, of various natures. Triton was unsure what they may be for Persi, but it didn't seem to be health or physical weakness.

It was likely he'd have a very tough time with some other magic, or some other rarer issue. Of course, it was possible his mortal half would balance it out. He couldn't recall much of his Metuno other children. If they'd had drawbacks of some kind he had no way of knowing.

Though he did remember his Mevu mentioning that Theseus wasn't even able to breath in the ocean...

Nonetheless, he was more than happy to help Persi learn more, even if it meant he had to study up more himself. He'd never paid much attention in those classes and Pallas-

Well... She hadn't had a huge interest in it Herself.

OO OO OO OO

Triton had to spend a lot of time studying sea magics so he could teach Persi about them. He didn't have much time to himself these days as a result, he still had all his other duties after all, but it was okay.

Metu was pleased with his new interest.

Ugh.

OO OO OO OO

Triton was very annoyed, he did not like land schools. Despite the Kyklopes he set to watch over Persi this still happened.

The school was just as idiotic as the last five.

It was like Persi was cursed it when it came to schools.

OO OO OO OO

Triton got Persi a Rainbow stone.

Making them was ridiculously hard, and most who made them tended to specialize in such, they made good money from it (though Rainbow stones weren't the most popular method of communication).

Triton could make one himself, but if he did so then it would hold his power, and that was easy to trace for other Gods.

So he'd had to pay someone else to make it. Thankfully he was able to get Natia to do so, she was a very skilled Aimuto Imote, the best he knew. Her Rainbow Stones were well valued.

He personally added the protections, he didn't trust her (nor anyone else) to not tap into it.

The stones were shaped like most gems, though this one was longer, more oblong. It was a dark stone flecked with rainbow shades. Channeling just a dash of power into it would make it shine a rainbow.

He also supplied his brother with enough drachmas to pay for any calls he needed.

He was very touched by the hair pin his brother made for him. It was very well made, and shaped just like his trident.

But what really impressed him were the Sand Dollars.

They were far from perfect, even far from functional, but they would release purifying energy. And that was better than some of the Sand Dollars made for the oil spill.

They'd been desperate.

Persi's skills in "waterbending" were from quite a bit of training (and some natural talent), but his purification skills were clearly a gift.

Metu was confused by Triton's new hair pin though, it wasn't the style Triton normally wore.

Triton didn't tell him.

OO OO OO OO

Triton did not like that his little brother's school didn't accommodate his differences. Surely there had to be some law to accommodate his needs?

He had "learning disabilities"! And was of the sea, and a demigod, they couldn't really expect him to learn the way unaffected mortals of land could?

OO OO OO OO

Triton was now seriously considering the curse theory in regards to Persi's schools.

OO OO OO OO

There was a small introductory event coming up, between some of the younger greatly skilled or high-ranked merfolk. He'd helped at some before, mainly as favors or for mers that caught his eyes for their skills. He thought this one would be a good, if late, introduction for Persi.

He would need to make a background for Persi though, to explain the lateness and his guardianship.

They wouldn't suspect anything, not with Triton there.

OO OO OO OO

Persi's reaction to the form shift stone was amusing.

He was quite delighted and it was... adorable.

He didn't want him to lose that joy. Triton would keep his little brother out of the mess the prophecy would cause. He wouldn't let Persi go, not like Pa-

He would protect Persi, at all costs.

OO OO OO OO

Triton was proud of how Persi handled the introduction.

He'd managed to show off his skills in a very impressive manner, proved he had the manners to float tall amongst the high ranked, and demonstrated that he knew how to defend himself politely.

Triton handled the one fool that dared to speak out of turn in his presence, but otherwise let Persi handle it himself.

He did need to learn how to handle the courts after all.

OO OO OO OO

Triton took Persi to many more events over the summer. He wanted to be sure Persi had a handle on the politics that came with being a Prince.

He was doing very well and Triton couldn't be prouder.

He did find it a bit amusing how Persi missed a few details though.

For one, color was a big thing in the sea. It worked two ways-

One was bright and more visible colors were a warning, and most child mer had bright colors regardless of if it were natural or not, to keep them safe.

But dull colors were their own warning, a warning this mer was an opponent that wouldn't be seen until it was too late.

Persi was an example of the bright variety. His tail was a turquoise that glittered in the faintest of light, and his fins shone in the dark. It held attention from several.

In turn, Persi had befriended many dangerous or powerful mer.

Samoa was all white, her tails glittering like diamonds. Her hair wasn't naturally white, but that didn't change the threat in her appearance. She was extremely good at Vapaloa, though in a different way than Persi. That difference could have been due to her learning the traditional way, rather than just doing what caught her attention.

She was likely the least dangerous of his friends.

Elei was another friend of his, with bright red hair and a deep red tail that appeared green in the dark of the ocean. Her tail was remarkably sleek, and her fins were strong. She was wickedly fast in her swimming. On top of that, she was the daughter of one of Metuno generals, and was well trained as a result. She was quite deadly with a sword, and was practiced in various others. She helped Persi train in weapons quite a bit.e ocean. And her tail was remarkably sleek, which let her go wickedly fast in their swimming.

Then there was Masina, a genius in controlling ocean currents. They could weave them in ways many experts couldn't even begin to imagine. They were only a little older than Persi, but in contrast to Persi who was a natural at Purification but focused on his "waterbending", Masina was a natural at ocean currents and focused on them. Their blue, yellow, and pink was very flowy, though didn't glow in the dark like Persi's.

They tried only once to teach Persi about the currents. Persi was quickly overwhelmed though, he'd spent most of his time focusing on details and thus was not quite able to do something as vast as ocean currents. He nearly lost himself to them, and if not for Masina might've.

That was fine, though something to keep in mind. He had the potential to be easily overwhelmed by the power of the sea.

Triton did find it a bit amusing this was a place he struggled, and made a mental note of it. This was possibly the drawback of his other skills, which was strange since most who were good with Tevemoa (or "waterbending" as Persi said) were good at the currents.

Moving onto his friends, there was also Rosa, another friend Persi made. She was a young diviner, very good at seeing the future. Xey were planning to get an apprenticeship when she turned sixteen. Currently xey worked with her parents to protect endangered species, and told Persi quite a bit about them.

Then there was Fetu and Lagi.

They were the most dangerous of Persi's friends in Triton's opinion.

Not only were both of them extremely powerful themselves, though Lagi in healing and thus not as much of a danger. Just being around him could improve one's health, and he had to be shielded when around too many. One day he would be an incredible healer.

But Fetu? Fetu was very much a natural at the Siren's Song, and from what Triton had heard half of his training was learning to turn it off . It was worse than most of Aphrodite's children from what Triton knew. He also had none of the side effects that most did, and this combination would lead to him being a true master of it in time.

And of course, the biggest threat regarding them was their parents. Their Metua was close with Ryujin of the Northern Pacific, and Ryujin wasn't the friendliest with Triton's own Metu. He was also powerful himself, and his partner powerful in Siren's Song as well.

They took more after their parent in coloring, with shining gold-yellow hair and flowy yellow and orange tails.

Triton was both proud and worried of Persi's ability to make friends with such powerful people. It would aid him greatly in the future, but would also draw attention.

OO OO OO OO

Triton enjoyed spending the Summer Solstice with Persi.

His gift was also very sweet, and well made. Persi had displayed his skill in Tevemoa once more and created a box of ice, with ivuisav carved in to preserve it. Inside were more Sand Dollars, still not perfect despite Persi's years of practice (not that Triton expected him to have mastered them yet, Sand Dollars took a long time to learn).

These ones even drew power, which was a great improvement! They still leaked a bit of power, but they were getting better.

In turn, Triton gifted Persi a coral hair pin. It would help keep his hair out of his face in battles, or just daily life.

It was also possibly maybe enchanted to purify any poisons he ingested from his system. Very few poisons would be able to harm Persi as it was already, with his purification skills what they were. But the pin would keep the few remaining from harming him.

Of course, it was an entirely different matter to handle venoms, but there was no real risk of that for Persi.

OO OO OO OO

Getting Persi the enchanted oceanskin for his birthday required a bit of work.

Making them was... obvious. It was creating a direct path to the ocean, and such an action would be very noticeable. And one needed to make a tucked away spot to draw water from so it wouldn't draw anything else with it.

Plus, if Triton made it it would hold his power, and draw attention that way.

Thus, he needed to get one already made, preferably one with little to no signature on it.

If he asked his Metu or Mevu they would want to know why. But there was another he could ask, and they were going down to His kingdom for dinner.

Okeanus was never truly an enemy after all, simply the King was was but wasn't. He'd surrendered His bands peacefully, and had accepted the depths as His home and realm in compensation.

Mevu also cared for Him greatly, as He was Her Metani. And those facts combined to mean that Triton would be able to speak to Him and request an oceanskin.

His Metu and Okeanus didn't quite get along, but there was no true conflict and Mevu insisted on peace. That long with hospitality rites ensured Poseidon was always on His best behavior.

Thankfully Okeanus was more than willing to grant Triton an oceanskin, and didn't even ask why despite the gleam of interest in his eyes.

Hopefully he wouldn't try to investigate, Okeanus was very good at investigating.

The oceanskin had no signature that Triton could feel, just being of the "ocean". That would be perfect for Persi.

Persi was delighted to receive it, immediately calling it a waterskin "just like Katara's!".

Triton was too amused to correct him.

OO OO OO OO

When Persi returned to school once more, they discovered Persi had gained the sensory aspect of Purification.

It wasn't quite surprising, not with his natural skill at Purification and general sensitivity to the ocean. He'd been working hard on his tahuhu as well.

The sensory aspects were quite useful, and sensors were commonly employed in war and general scouting to keep an eye out for dangerous magics or threats. Metu always had a skilled Vakasta Itenahe check gifts given in court.

Triton retrieved Persi more books on Purification to help him learn more. Perhaps he would get interested in curse breaking, it had long been considered the most useful aspect of purification. Though nowadays the cleansing aspect was more helpful.

He wondered how quickly Persi would get the hang of it.

OO OO OO OO

The Fall Equinox had quite a lovely variety of foods that Persi made.

Triton quite liked them, which was a problem since they were all blue and he'd started enjoying blue foods as well.

That was difficult to explain to Metu.

He wondered vaguely how Metu wasn't aware of his interactions with Persi yet, but then... Triton wasn't exactly sharing information.

OO OO OO OO

Triton was quite pleased with the clothes he'd found for Persi for the Winter Solstice.

He'd never bought them before, and he could make them but- well he wanted to support the makers, and get something made in the sea by its citizens.

They'd gotten him some looks and Metu had questioned him about if he'd found a lover (perhaps Metu thought he had his own child to buy the clothes for?).

Triton had sneered. First off, a land-dweller as a lover? Triton had no interest in that.

But any lover at all? His Metu knew he had no interest in that, he'd made that clear when he formed Pallas himself. Which... might have explained Metu's confusion when asking him but still .

Metu needed to hush about that. Triton didn't want to deal with rumors too.

Honestly, merfolk were almost as big as gossips as fish.

OO OO OO OO

Triton did not like Persi's English teacher, they had it out for him. Triton was actually checking him for curses, but other than the normal one for children of the sea there was nothing.

Maybe it was discreet?

Regardless, he suggested that Persi practice his etiquette, perhaps being extra well behaved would stop the teacher's annoying self.

OO OO OO OO

He was quite impressed by the stone horse Persi enchanted. It was obviously done by a novice, but it was good work. It clung to the horse more than his previous attempt with the stone.

He kept it in his room, it made it feel just a little bit safer.

OO OO OO OO

Triton had always enjoyed the Equinox, if only for the hunt and the festivals. It was an enjoyable time, even when his siblings didn't visit. But the time with Persi in the recent years was very enjoyable.

He liked trading gifts, even if not part of the holiday originally for him.

This year Persi got him a sunflower preserved in ice, and he was truly delighted.

He'd only seen sunflowers a few times, but now he had one to keep. He added it to his shelf, next to the treasured gifts from his Mepuv.

Poseidon had noticed and was once more confused. Triton ignored his confusion (and Mevuno).

OO OO OO OO

Triton decided to get Persi something he'd loved as a child, a starstone. With them you could look at the stars even in the depths of the ocean, projecting them all around you.

When you weren't projecting them, they would simply swirl in the stone. It was like the snowglobes Persi mentioned to him.

He thought his little brother would appreciate it, it was a gift from Metu Triton had treasured (and he thought it was a crime Persi hadn't gotten one)..

OO OO OO OO

Persi's latest school, or well, his last school, had a mysterious flooding incident that was maybe, just maybe Triton's fault.

But they deserved it.

The pathetic excuse of an English teacher got Persi expelled for no good reason. Something about him being a "known trouble-maker" and "not being a good student anyways" the little ufanto.

On a less infuriating note, he took advantage of Persi's free time to get him more books on Vapaloa.

He knew why Persi failed to free the once guinea pig now goldfish from the curse. Persi brought the fish to him, which allowed him to note the familiar signature on it.

Kirke.

Kirke the witch, also known as Circe to land dwellers.

She was much too powerful for Persi's current level, even if he knew how. She tended to weave her curses, and unraveling a weave took quite a bit of skill just in general, but doing so with a level of power able to counter her own?

Persi wouldn't be managing that anytime soon.

His attempt at releasing it simply twisted the weave, morphing it into something more of water and less of land.

It was a pretty good first attempt though.

OO OO OO OO

Triton got Persi some more new clothes for the next holiday. He wanted to be sure Persi had everything he needed before reaching camp... and also he just... liked seeing his little brother light up with gifts.

He deserved nicer things than what he had. Triton knew Persi's Mevua was doing her best, but the land realm simply didn't allow them to get what they deserved.

He wondered why his Metu didn't bring her and her child down to the ocean. Surely Mevu would've allowed it?

Well, Triton would take care of Persi. He was doing quite well if he said so himself. And maybe a small part of him wanted to shove it in Metuno face that he had been the one to care for and raise Persi.

Poseidon had stayed away, it was Triton who was in Persi's life.

He also got Persi an Ocarina to begin practicing playing. He wouldn't start with Siren's Song for a few more years, but this would let him prepare.

OO OO OO OO

Triton adored the geode snow globe Persi made him. It glittered brilliantly and when he shook it it spiraled with fake snow.

Triton didn't get to see snow very often.

Plus, the geode matched his tail.

OO OO OO OO

He couldn't help his amusement when Persi sulked over his mom not approving of the hair dye.

The dye was quite loved in the sea, and Samoa's improvements were coveted. It alone had caught the attention to get her a position in the higher courts.

The way it bled into the hair as a whole kept the original color from showing even at the roots for a few years.

Hair color was a good way of protecting children, making them bright and brilliant so they were left alone. As such, it was rare to see brown or black or dark hair in general in the sea, at least for children. Even blonde wasn't the most common, though yellow and gold were seen.

As mer grew older they were more willing to allow their natural hair to shine through, thus colors like Triton's own dark blue appeared. But such dark shades weren't very common in general.

Triton quite liked Persi's new hair color though, especially after Samoa said he was trying to make it the same shade as Triton's.

It was adorable.

OO OO OO OO

Triton decided Persi needed something to keep his belongings safe.

It definitely had nothing to do with hearing one of his bird messengers mention how there were so many thieves around one of the docks they were watching.

He just didn't want Persi's belongings to be at risk.

Plus, Persi would be going to camp within the next few years and was growing up. He wanted to be sure Persi didn't need to worry of his belongings.

So Triton got one of his own messenger bags, made by the Kyklopes. It only allowed the owner to remove things, and protected the inside from all outside forces.

He was glad Persi seemed to like it, he needed all the help he could get.

Triton just hoped his gifts were enough to help.

OO OO OO OO

Persi was being sent to a boarding school.

Triton did his best to support Persi in it, as he seemed upset as well, but he was a lot less pleased than he let on.

Persi would be away, much farther inland. He wouldn't be able to see him in person, and he would be harder to reach and teach and protect.

He was very glad now that he'd given Persi the rainbow stone, else he wasn't sure what he may have done.

He was still worried of course, Persi tended to draw trouble to him.

But... surely it was just one year. It wasn't like he'd be going back, not with the curse that was definitely there even if Triton couldn't find proof .

Nothing too horrible could happen in the space of one year.

Right?

OO OO OO OO 

Don't forget to leave a review, they feed my soul.

Persi is being used instead of Percy because in Halmaheran there is no Letter 'C'. So for those in the sea they refer to him as Persi. There is also no letter 'J' so Percy Jackson will become Persi Yakson.

Halmaheran
Analia Verainav'a=Atlantis' elite academy (meaning is for those on the discord)
Tevemoa=Theromancy
Metuno=Dad's
Paipave=Water control
Mevu=Mom
Metua=Father
Arila=High King
Metu=Dad
Mevuno=Mom's
vak=damn
Aipri=Prince
Rakil=Lord
Uomiet Aimapep=Loop Current
Earate Imote=Current Guide Mage
puhipata=Oil Spill Water
Pemapo=brat (affectionate)
veruo=storm season
Vapaloa=Purification
toxai tahuhu=devestation magic
mokiki=moronic
aretov=fuckers
poturu=Pearl Shield
Tahuhu=Magic (sea)
Aimuto Imote=Enchanter mage
Ivuisav=Runes
Mepani=Grandfather
Vakasta Itenahe=Purifying Sensors
Ufanto=bastards

Terminology
Kirke=the Phonetic spelling of Circe
Kyklopes=the phonetic spelling of Cyclopes

The oil spill mentioned in the story is an actual oil spill, the deepwater horizon one that occurred in 2010 (which gives you a good timeframe for when this story is happening). More info will be scattered in future chapters but it isn't actually important to the plot.

Come yell at me on my tumblr: Percabeth4Life
Come chat with me on discord: https://discord.gg/3tGNJhu

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

58.6K 1.7K 18
𝙗𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙩𝙬𝙤 𝙤𝙛 𝙁𝘼𝙇𝙇𝙀𝙉 𝘼𝙉𝙂𝙀𝙇 𝙨𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨.... 𝙇𝙄𝙇𝙄𝙏𝙃 𝙉𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏𝘼𝙉𝙂𝙀𝙇. 𝘼 𝙣𝙖𝙢𝙚 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙞𝙣 𝙘𝙚𝙡𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙖...
78.5K 1.5K 33
(This is my first fanfic so bear with me) I'm just a regular 12-year-old girl. At least that's what I thought. I have dyslexia and ADHD, but apparent...
187K 3.3K 32
This is just a little thing I've wanted to do for a while- write a Percabeth fan fiction. So this is basically during The Mark Of Athena, and The Hou...
2.4K 30 11
he set fire to the world around him but never let a flame touch her zuko × fem!OC Book One: Being Rewritten Book Two: TBD Book Three: TBD a/n: you...