The Rogue World Of Dostira

By janebarnettxo

Dostira: Novis et Fortis is a school hidden within the British Isles for special students to learn control ov... More

The Foggy Window
The Letter
The Guardian
The Auctus Appraisal
Proelium
The Luna Lavinrac
The Moving Pendant
Hodinby
The Exception
The Only Vox Prodigy
The Blue Flame
Alexander Harkness
Pendant Passing
The Small Box
A Date Of Sorts
The Fight and The Fall
A Student Is Missing
The Knights of Angles and The Phoenix
Tamiel Aurum
Door Seventeen
The Weeping Golden Willow
The Failure
IMPORTANT INFORMATION

An Unlikely Union

1.7K 48 59
By janebarnettxo

Audrey felt guilty over how she misjudged Nora and, although there was much she didn't know about her yet, she was captivated by her presence along with all that she said. Audrey sat by her side on the cold grass as she held the silver blades in her hands, it had been almost two hours since class began and she couldn't remember Zach even leaving as Nora was the only one that she had been talking to.

"How are you finding classes?" Nora asked as the pulled at the soft grass.

"They've been challenging, definitely new but altogether great...I guess! I haven't had Dostira Historia yet, and after what Binko's told me, I am not looking forward to it at all." Audrey sighed.

Nora stayed silent for a moment before saying, "I think Charlie's reasoning will be made more clear after the first class". Her voice was thick was agony and Audrey could almost feel the distress radiating off her skin, she took a deep breath and coughed to break the growing tension.

"I read the class outline and I um...well we don't have to talk about it" Audrey stuttered, her hands grew sweaty as she approached the subject like warm feet to the cold sea.

"No, no it's okay" Nora began, she took a deep breath before continuing, "People always act like it was only between 1904 and 1912, I guess that's because it's easier to blame people that are dead for murder and war in order for accountability to be a problem of the past". She looked around, unsure of where to begin, she shut her eyes tight before focusing them on the castle walls ahead of her and speaking with a serious voice.

"The genocide of prodigies like me didn't just start or end at a particular point in time, we were named sea demons by savage pirates long before the genocide, but even after Overseers made an official law protecting our kind in 1912...it didn't stop." Nora's voice quivered, pain and torment drowning every word she spoke, until her grief shifted to rage.

"Vile caeli, solis and ignis prodigies would raid the homes of Vox prodigies, slaughtering children but especially mothers of possible Vox prodigies, the Overseer's laws were nothing more than dirt beneath the feet of vulgar cowards and murderers". She took a deep breath and looked down to her hands that were balled into tight fists, "Harkness may be like a father to me, but as an Overseer, where was he during the execution of the Vox women in our family or any family?"

Nora shook off her emotions like water on a leaf as she looked at the castle walls with a smile, that even Audrey could tell was not as sincere as it appeared to be.

"Well, in Dostira Historia I guess you'll find out why prodigies did what they did. Oh and why the law was inevitably pointless, as barely any crimes against Vox prodigies are taken to Overseer Courts." Nora said, she fixed her posture and relaxed her hands before looking at Audrey with gentle eyes that hid dark fury.

The two of them sat in silence for a moment, both looking at the grey castle walls that lay ahead of them. Audrey had intently listened to each word Nora said and as she sat beside her with her lips sealed, her thoughts were running wild wondering if such foul prodigies still exist.

⤜⤛

As soon as classes finished Charlie rushed to Mr Harkness' office, he felt uneasy and borderline sick as he felt like something or someone was violently banging against the walls of his mind trying to burst their way inside. The pendant had sat comfortably in his pocket since breakfast and while Charlie would normally forget about such small things, the silver solis pendant occupied every part of his mind. He felt exhausted and had no idea why, as although his final class of the day was Dostirian Creatures the substitute that made the students do nothing but read chapters on Allied fae spirits. As Charlie hurried to Harkness' office his mind was swarming, he felt immense tension in every part of his head as it trickled down to his neck tightening and cramping it. He wasn't paying any attention to the students around him, although first and second year students would leap out of the way for him, he pushed past fifth and sixth years with an aggressive shove despite most of them being his classmates and friends.

"Now where are you running off to huh?" Kane said as he stood in front of Charlie, he looked him up and down with a smirk while waiting for Charlie's eyes to meet his.

Charlie's weary eyes and vacant expression met Kane's gaze, as he tried to shuffle past him with his breathing quickening by the second. Kane noticed the sweat forming on his forehead along with the discomfort in his eyes, and his smirk quickly dropped. He was expecting the usual heroic, fearless and calm Charlie but instead saw a young man who winced every few seconds and looked as if he was going to faint any moment.

"Kane, I can't do this right now" Charlie began, his voice was quiet but coarse, "I need to see Alex...uh Mr Harkness!".

Charlie pushed past Kane but before he could continue ahead he felt a hand grip his shoulder tight, "He's not here Charlie!".

Charlie heart sank, he didn't know what to do, he simply stood there in the middle of the hallway with Kane's hand glued to his shoulder. The students walking past muttering to each other sounded like a low buzz in Charlie's ears as he shut his eyes and dropped his head, he struggled to breathe as his knees began to feel like running water about to splash against the cold floor. He felt his body being pushed though the hallway and into an empty room as he stumbled and fell down on a cold seat, with his vision blurred and his breath hot, he heard the slam of a door behind him and Kane's voice.

"What in the hell is wrong with you? You look like death!" Kane said, he dragged a chair next to Charlie's and shook at his shoulders as if he was falling asleep.

"I...I need to see Harkness" Charlie muttered, before his eyelids felt weighed down and he slowly rested his head on the desk in front of him.

"What in the fuck is happening...hey Charlie, we're not really friends so I don't know what I'm supposed to do I...hello?" Kane said, his voice sounding desperate and in disbelief of what was happening in front of him.

Kane stood up and looked around the room for something, anything, to help Charlie wake up and seem himself again. As he searched the room, looking in drawers and opening strange bottle to sniff them, his mind threw questions at him that he couldn't answer. He didn't know why he was helping Charlie, why he felt desperate to make things right between them again and he really didn't know how to fix whatever had just happened to him.

"Of course this happens on a Wednesday, the one day that Harkness isn't here because of her...what the hell am I even doing?" Kane mumbled to himself as he looked around the room, he had almost given up when he found a small glass bottle of a white liquid that was partially crystallised. He opened it and held it far from his nose getting a small whiff of the strange liquid, he coughed and swore at himself before rushing over to Charlie.

"This better work!" Kane said as he lifted Charlie head and moved the liquid around under his nose, only a few moments later Charlie's eyes shot open as he lifted his head and pushed the desk away from him.

Charlie began coughing violently as his eyes watered, "Spirit of Hartshorn, the one time I actually listen in Curative Brewery finally pays off!" Kane said as he chuckled and placed the lid back on the bottle.

"What happened?" Charlie asked in between coughs.

"I just saved your ass Charlie! You were muttering something about Harkness and then you went all loopy" Kane responded, sitting down with a huff.

"Uh...well thanks Kane" Charlie said awkwardly, avoiding eye contact until he could breathe properly again.

They both sat in silence as Kane looked around the room waiting for Charlie to say something until his patience grew thin, "Well...you mind telling me what's wrong with you?"

Charlie looked up at him, debating whether or not to tell Kane how he's been feeling the whole day. His distrust for Kane got the best of him as he straightened his posture and looked at him with a smile, "Don't worry about it, thank you though".

Kane tilted his head, his expression shifting from confusion to embarrassment and annoyance. He stood up and walked towards Charlie, glaring at him, "Yea don't mention it, I just didn't wanna be seen near a fainting sycophant today of all days" he hissed.

Charlie felt guilt ripple throughout his mind, but Kane's words only supported his choice to not trust him. Ever since their third year, Charlie and Kane distanced because Kane found himself desiring power, glory and control above all else. However, Charlie couldn't blame him for wanting such things. After Mr and Mrs Kane died, their children's future was tossed in different hands with young Kane having no say in where he would end up. Luckily, both him and his sister found themselves with their Uncle Harkness but even then Mr Harkness barely showed love at all and was strict on the both of them.

Kane left the room slamming the door so hard that the books in the room trembled and the glasses clinked against each other, Charlie walked over to the desk and sat down placing his head in his hands. As Kane left the room his face remained cold and grim while walking throughout the hallways to his room, he held his head high and glared at anyone who dared to look at him for long enough. However, within his heart and mind he felt disappointed in Charlie for not trusting him but more so in himself for proving that whatever doubt Charlie acted on was the right thing to do.

⤜⤛

Charlie walked throughout the halls and felt an overall numbness as he looked for Audrey. He wanted to ask her where she got the pendant, he needed to know why it affected him so but as grim and fearful questions crossed his mind, he saw Audrey's smiling face ahead and all those thoughts suddenly faded.

"I can't thank you enough Nora, seriously..." Audrey began, until her eyes caught a glimpse of Charlie walking towards her. Her heart fluttered for a moment, she was unsure of how to react as everything was going so well with Nora and she didn't want to ruin it in any possible way.

"Hey Audrey!" Charlie called out, his voice sounding lively although he felt a pounding ache all over his body.

Audrey and Nora were both staring at him now as they walked to meet him in the empty hallway, Nora had a kind smile on her face as Audrey looked unsure and worried. Charlie was only a step away from falling into Audrey's arms when his weary eyes noticed her expression, and it only worsened the dull pain he felt. Charlie stared at Audrey with desperation, his eyes looking at her like she was the only thing keeping him standing upright and if she were to look away he'd crumble to the floor.

"Well, I'll leave you two to talk..." Nora said, breaking the silence between the three of them. As she walked ahead, she looked back at Audrey and knitted her brows with a confused expression forming on her face to which Audrey responded with a shrug.

"Binko, what's going on?" Audrey asked, she felt her hands twitch by her side urging to reach out and hold him. She looked at his pale skin that looked drained and cold, as anxious thoughts of worry filled her head. Charlie was about to speak, his dry lips parting, until the sound of a cane tapping the floor silenced him.

His eyes lit up as his ears focused on the sound, "I just uh, wanted to remind you of the assembly tonight. Remember to wear your jumper okay?" Charlie said. His stomach twisted in a knot, he didn't want to lie to her but technically he wasn't. Tonight was the weekly assembly and although he felt like falling into his bed with the intention of never waking up, he kept a smile on his face for her.

"Oh yea, I'll see you at dinner!" Audrey replied, her concern for him was somewhat eased but not eradicated as he gave her a warm smile and hurried away from her. She watched him disappear around the corner, his body almost struggling to hold his weight. She stood still, alone in the empty cold hallway, with her thoughts turning from distress to relief. Her small interaction with him had been friendly and nothing more, but a part of her deeply wished for something more.

Charlie stumbled throughout the archway hallways, following the sound of the cane taping the stone floor like it was connected to his ear by a string he couldn't see. As the sound grew louder Charlie's desperation intensified and he found himself almost running towards it, until he saw Mr Harkness ahead with his head down watching the ground he walked on.

"Alex!" Charlie cried.

Mr Harkness didn't stop walking, despite hearing Charlie, he kept his head low and continued ahead. Charlie ran towards him, almost falling over by his side, but nevertheless Mr Harkness kept moving ahead with Charlie struggling to breathe as he walked alongside him.

"Charlie, I'd like to be left alone please" Mr Harkness spoke, his voice didn't have the usual amusingly playful tone underlying it as he sounded cold and desolate.

"But Alex I need to..." Charlie stuttered, he could barely look up at Mr Harkness as his eyelids got heavier by the second with his neck cramping.

"I said not now!" Mr Harkness exclaimed, his voice booming and echoing throughout the stone hallway as Charlie froze in his tracks while Mr Harkness continued to walk, "I'll see you in my office tomorrow Charlie, we can talk then".

Charlie watched Mr Harkness walk away from him, the ache in his chest growing more painful, and for the first time in his life he felt all alone.

He managed to lift his limp and agonising body up the stairs to the Caeli lounge where he sat on the worn emerald green leather couch that felt like a soft cloud against his aching body. He turned his head ever so slightly to the left in order to see the large grandfather clock in the corner of the room that read the time 4:53pm, he groaned as the assembly was starting in 7 minutes and if Mr Harkness already seemed irritated by him earlier then it wouldn't be a good idea to be late. Although Charlie cared about what Mr Harkness thought of him, the pain he felt as he lifted his back off the couch made him ignorant, he felt a surge of anger and indifference towards Mr Harkness and being punctual for him. Charlie went back to resting his body on the couch, as he shut his eyes and tried to relax himself.

Kane walked to the assembly with an upright posture and a cruel but cold expression on his face, he clenched his jaw as he walked through the hallway. The time on his watch read '5:17pm' but Kane couldn't care less about assembly's as each week Elios would just recap everything that was said that night to him during dinner later on, he walked toward the assembly hall that was shut by two large doors made of wood and steel. As he adjusted his black sweater, that had the school's crest embroidered on it, he noticed someone stumbling towards the door wearing a dark green sweater and gently panting for air.

Kane twisted his neck as he muttered to himself, "This better not be him or I swear I'll jump off the flanking tower".

"Yea, and I'd happily push you" Charlie replied, he slowly walked towards Kane and winced at every step he took.

"From the looks of it, you'd probably die on your way up there" Kane said as he raised a brow looking at Charlie's limping body. As Charlie lifted his head to look at him, Kane noticed how pale his skin looked along with how the whites of his eyes were starting to go a warm red.

Charlie opened his mouth to say something witty back, until a small whimper crept out and he lifted his arms as his hands clasped around his ears pushing them shut.

"The echo in here...it's so loud" Charlie mumbled, his watery eyes looked to the floor as his bottom lip quivered.

Kane's annoyance with him vanished as he felt genuinely concerned for the trembling boy in front of him, he reached out his arms and placed them on Charlie's shoulders while lowering his head to meet Charlie's gaze.

He called out his name calmly until Charlie lifted his head up and looked at Kane with tears streaming down his face, "I don't...what's wrong with me, I'm hearing things and I feel..." Charlie croaked as his eyes searched Kane's.

"Hey, try to relax. Let's just get you in this stupid hall and then quickly back out once it's finished okay?" Kane asked, his voice had only sounded this sympathetic with one other person and that was his sister Nora. The care and concern that poured out of his lips tasted bitter and unnatural but Charlie's sickly figure stirred something inside Kane forcing him to do his best and help.

Charlie nodded his head and gave Kane a small smile as he placed an arm on his shoulder, using Kane to help his body stand up and not fall to his knees. Charlie could barely process what was happening but felt secure with Kane, for some strange reason every instinct to doubt him and push him away was gone.

They both entered the hall, Kane holding his head high and helping Charlie walk so they would appear somewhat normal and not cause a scene. The teachers that stood in the back of the hall glared at the both of them as they walked to sit down at an empty row near the two large doors, Kane helped Charlie sit down beside him as he whispered to ask him how he was feeling. Charlie muttered back that he was fine and that it felt good to sit down, Kane then looked ahead to see Mr Harkness who stood in the front of the hall speaking about this weeks notices. Kane glanced over at Charlie every now and then, he feared that if he looked away for too long Charlie would die right there and then next to him.

"Mrs Fennop will be back by Monday's class for Dostirian Creatures, and apologises for her absence" Mr Harkness began, as his voice slightly echoed throughout the large candle lit hall, "Also, first year students are advised to take the corridor to the left to avoid the Garden of Sasor unless they wish to be pushed into a thorn bush by our lovely fourth years. Which reminds me, fourth years are informed that their trips to the town of Hodinby on the weekends may be restricted if they continue to be a source of bush pushing nuisance".

Mr Harkness went on with information about the school grounds and different classes while reminding students that the hallway that leads the North Tower is restricted, along with being watched by teachers day and night. As Audrey heard this she realised that last night, she must have been in that hallway by accident but wondered why the hallway was restricted. As she sat besides Zach and Bella, who were both as equally eager to leave for the refectory, her mind thought of the pendant and the way it moved in the moonlight as she held it. The thought of the pendant, and questions as to why it was in the restricted hallway, surged her mind until the sound of students standing up caught her attention. She swiftly stood to her feet and looked at Bella who was looking up at the ceiling and twisting her head to get different views of it, she obviously had not been paying attention just like Audrey but their reason for distraction were definitely different.

Kane helped lift Charlie up as they watched each house leave one by one, Kane held Charlie up as they mixed in with the rest of the caeli prodigies that were the first to leave the great hall. As the rest of the students walked towards the refectory, with some heading elsewhere, Kane helped Charlie hurry towards him room.

"Wait...I promised Audrey I'd see her at dinner" Charlie said weakly, he tried to turn around and head towards the refectory but his body fell even more frail as he did.

"No, no, Charlie I don't think she would want to see you like this" Kane replied as he gently pushed Charlie towards the archway ahead, he helped him up the spiralled staircase that led to the caeli lounge and to his relief it was empty.

"Oh good," Kane began as he helped walk Charlie up the smaller stair case to his room, "I think the miserable pigeons in your house would definitely spread something to make people talk if they saw me William Kane basically carrying you to bed Charlie!"

As they reached Charlie's room and Kane chuckled at what he had just said, he looked to his right and saw Charlie's eyes closed with his head drooping to the floor. Kane felt panic shock him to the core as he quickly opened the door to Charlie's room and placed his limp body on the bed, he shook him saying, "Charlie! Charlie come on, not again!".

Charlie lay there on his bed, like a rag doll being shook by a child as Kane flustered around the room mumbling to himself. Kane paced up and down the small room until he stopped when he had an idea that frightened him, "Don't hit me when you wake up okay Charlie? Just don't...why am I even asking you?".

Kane shut his eyes tight and when they opened they had shifted into his green and red speckled dragon eyes as his breathing quickened, he reached out for Charlie's wrist and held it while feeling burning heat accumulate in his hand and onto Charlie's skin.

As Charlie's skin began to burn, Kane heard a loud cry and he quickly took his hand off him. Charlie was awake and gripped his wrist in pain, he groaned while holding his arm to his chest until he looked up at Kane who slowly moved backwards to stand in the corner of the room. He watched as Charlie took a couple deep breaths before hearing him say, "Let me guess, I passed out again?". Kane chuckled and ran his fingers through his hair letting out a sigh, he nodded at Charlie who looked at him with grateful but pained eyes.

"Look I know we aren't really friends anymore, but I need your help Will" Charlie said in a serious but pleading voice. Kane was taken aback, this was the first time he had heard Charlie call him by his first name since third year as memories of them together flashed through his mind.

"I'll help you Charlie, but only because you were there for Nora in fourth and fifth year when I wasn't" Kane replied.

He gave Charlie a small smile before turning around to open the door, "Oh and no one can know why you're helping me okay?" Charlie said as Kane stopped with his hand on the door handle and the two stood in silence.

"I'll talk to you about it tomorrow though, thanks again Will" Charlie spoke as Kane had his back to him, he smiled knowing Charlie wouldn't be able to see it and left the room.

As he walked to the refectory he couldn't help but feel glad with the fact that he was needed by someone, by an old friend he never meant to turn away all those years ago. Before entering the refectory he was met with Elios and Spiddle who walked beside him as they joked about the first years being pushed into thorn bushes, Kane couldn't help but laugh even though their jokes were rude and cruel. As he walked with the two boys by his side he noticed Audrey at a table to his left with Nora, Zach and Bella. Kane felt it was necessary to tell Audrey that Charlie wouldn't be with her for dinner, but didn't know how to go about telling her this and so he walked over to her with his friends following close behind.

"Hey Nuper, Charlie won't be in for dinner okay?" He said, he smirked and couldn't help the sinister tone that accompanied the words.

"Will shut it okay?" Bella exclaimed, she gave him a glare that only encouraged him as his smirk grew.

"He sends his deepest apologies, but I think the blonde caeli girl by his side said that it would be best if he uh...stayed in bed." Kane enjoyed the look of shock on Audrey and Bella's faces, as Elios and Spiddle laughed behind him.

"William, leave" Nora said in a strict voice, she looked at him with an intense glare as Kane chuckled and walked off.

Audrey sat there, her stomach turning and her heart feeling a throbbing pain that she didn't understand. Her cheeks burned as the table fell silent, even Bella was lost for words as she looked at Audrey with despair and pity.

"Ignore my brother, I'm sure he's just saying that to get a reaction." Nora said, her voice soft and calming as Bella agreed with Zach remaining silent.

Audrey tried to just ignore it all, and agree with Nora that what Kane had said was just a spiteful joke, but she struggled as her eyes remained locked on the doors to the refectory hoping that Charlie would walk in any second. As she kept her eyes on the entrance, her thoughts antagonised her suggesting that maybe when Charlie talked to her before the assembly he perhaps wanted to tell her about this mystery girl. Her thoughts fuelled this suspicion, as she looked back on his behaviour, noticing how anxious and uneasy he seemed along with how quick he was to leave her.

As Audrey sat there, her mind running wild with ideas that stung and smashed against her heart, Charlie lay in his bed with his cold body shaking and sweating as his back arched in torment and he bit down hard on his bottom lip to conceal his screams.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 8.3K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
1K 406 143
No one ever knows the whole story... Nestled deep in the forests of the Pacific Northwest, something is emerging. Kept in absolute secrecy, it seeps...
10.4K 208 13
Lena has always been smart, being a child genius helped. She was taken by HYDRA at the age of 4, where they put her through test and experiments. Aft...
2.3M 126K 36
I'd Like to think I was a good person, before it all began. I didn't cheat on tests, or steal. But throughout my entire life, I was treated if I wer...