The Priestess and the Dragon...

By NicoletteAndrews

Love and revenge don't end with death. Exiled for her mother's sins, Suzume lives in a remote mountain shrin... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Authors Note 5/31/16

Chapter Thirty Six

12.7K 692 43
By NicoletteAndrews

They continued their climb the next day. Other than a few playful jibes, there was no talk of Suzume’s disappearance. Suzume was withdrawn most the day, but no one seemed to notice or care for that matter. Her sullen silences were nothing new. The climb was difficult and even the immortals struggled over boulders and slippery slopes. The side of the mountain was steep looking up made Suzume’s head spin. The sky, gray and bleak reeled overhead. Her poorly placed foot sent a cascade of loose gravel rolling down the hill. The stones were craggy and tall, Kaito had to give her a leg up over one, assistance that she resented. Tsuki helped Rin by grabbing her arm and pulling her up over a particularly large boulder, with a smooth surface.

Suzume did her best to keep up with them and reduce the complaining to a minimum, because she could never really stop complaining all together. It was midday when they stopped for a rest, mostly for Suzume’s benefit. She sat on a oblong boulder which made for a convenient seat and took a swig of water out of her water skin.

Kaito paced back and forth restlessly. Suzume watched him. The muscles beneath his clothes rippled with tension. Tsuki was in control of the body he shared with his sister, and when he saw Suzume watching Kaito he smirked at her. She looked away at the last moment, but the damage was done. She was going to hear about this later she was sure of it. That is, if there is a later. If I get Kazue’s heart and harness her power, then I’ll be back at the White Palace this time tomorrow. Just the thought brought a smile to her face.

“If you have enough energy to smile, then I think we best head out again,” Kaito announced. The tension in his body had transforming his normally smiling face. There were white lines circling his mouth from his jaw being clenched shut.

Suzume scowled at him. She knew Kaito was on edge but she could not help but argue. “What? Are you trying to kill me? How much further is this place.? If we go any higher, we’ll be in the kingdom of the eight.” It was an exageration of course, the eight’s holy kingdom was only reachable in the afterlife.

Rin snickered at Suzume’s joke and when Kaito shot her a look the smile wiped away from her face.

“I would not want your highness to grow tired. Should I carry you on my back?” Kaito turned his back to her as he squatted down, as if he were offering up a piggy back ride.

She scoffed. “I would rather not. I’d probably erupt into flames again.”

“We wouldn’t want that, now would we?” Tsuki said with a smirk.

She glared at him as well.

“Its just a bit further, come, Suzume, I’ll carry you if you like. And I promise you won’t burst into flames if you touch me, at least not any visible part of you.” He did not wait for her answer and instead went to go swoop Suzume off her feet. She screeched as her feet left the ground and she kicked and swung at Tsuki who was laughing uproariously.

“Put me dow—” she could not even finish her sentence before Kaito plucked her from Tsuki’s grasp and planted her back on her own two feet.

“You’re capable of walking.” He said. His tone was tense. All trace of humor from before were wiped away. Suzume opened her mouth to explain but clamped it down again. I don’t owe him an apology just because he thinks I belong to him. I am no man’s property. Suzume brushed off her robes and said to the ground, “I’m ready to go if everyone is done horsing around.”

Kaito had started walking already. She looked up as he walked away. Tsuki was still standing next to her.

“He’s a bit dense,” Tsuki said.

Suzume looked at him from the corner of her eye. “What do you mean?”

Tsuki laughed. “Nothing really.” He swung his arms behind his head and clasped his fingers against his neck. He whistled as he followed after Kaito.

Rin had hung back but when Suzume looked to her for an explanation Rin only shrugged and joined the the boys. Damn their secrets.

It turned out there was not much distance left to travel. They found a winding set of stairs carved into the stones themselves. The wind blew hard enough to pull the unwart off a cliff just feet away. Suzume’s hair swirled around her. She pushed the strands away from her face and titled her neck back to try and catch a glimpse of the top of the stairs. The steps disappeared into the clouds, obscuring their destination. Kazue really did not want her remains to be found.

“Do not tell me we have to climb that.” Suzume said pointing at the narrow stairs. On one side was the stone smooth and ancient. On the other side was a drop that led to the foot of the mountain.

Rin stood on the edge of the precipice, her auburn hair flew around her head like a bright banner against the gray sky behind her. She did not seem afraid of the heights just curious. Kaito’s gaze was fixed on the stairs. He cannot wait to get there.I wonder if he’s hoping Kazue is waiting him at the end of this quest. This thought filled her with bitterness. What do I care? All I want is my old life back. Once I get that, none of this matters.

“We’re almost there, are you ready?” Tsuki said to Suzume. He was grinning from ear to ear.

“You could at least try to hide your eagerness.” She replied.

He titled his head as he regarded her. “What would be the purpose of that? Now that we’re all being honest with one another.”

Suzume felt like their were cold fingers grasping the back of her neck. She rubbed it but did not look away from Tsuki. There’s no way he could know what Hisato told me. I am just being paranoid.

“Are you trying to say there’s more you’re not telling me? Like is there something up there waiting for us?”

He shook his head. “We’ve told you all we know. Most of our information has been gleaned for the priests of the temple. This is the first time since we were cursed that we left the temple.”

Suzume’s skin tingled. Small sparks burst along her skin creating a red glow. Something was waiting for them at the top of these stairs, she could feel it. Either Tsuki was lying or he really didn’t know, she could not be sure. I cannot believe Kazue would go to all this trouble and not put extra protection around this place.

“Let’s get going while it’s still light,” Kaito said. He looked ready to pop from the anticipation. He shuffled from one foot to the other, his gaze ever upward.

They headed up the stairs. It was even more perilous than Suzume imagined. The steps were cramped together and worn smooth by the elements. The stairs only allowed one person up at a time and in few spots, they had crumbled away and they had to jump over massive gaps. It was at this point that Suzume took a grudging ride on Tsuki’s back across the chasm. Half-way up she made the mistake of looking over the edge. Thick white clouds obscured most of the forest floor but for patches of green that peaked through breaks in the clouds. The spun as the height difference registered. She clutched at the rough wall, her fingers finding no purchase. She felt like she would tilt over the side and fall forever. Suzume closed her eyes and leaned against the stone wall for a moment. She felt a hand in the small of her back and when she opened her eyes, Akira was standing beside her.

“Just take it one step at a time, and try not to look down,” Akira said.

Suzume nodded mutely before they continued their climb. She managed to climb the rest of the stairs without looking over the edge. Once she slipped on some loose rock and fell down a few steps. Rin came to her rescue and kept her from tumbling all the way back down to the bottom, or worse going over the edge. Suzume gave Rin an begruding thank you. They’re all being so helpful today. Probably because they need me to retrieve Kazue’s heart.

The stairs ended at a red arch, similar to the ones that led into a temple. This one was faded and the wood scored with horizontal marks, like giant claws had slashed at them. Charms dangled from the beam and twirled in the wind. Suzume’s clothes fluttered against her skin and a chill brushed through her. It was freezing at this altitude. A bell chimed somewhere nearby. Beyond the arch was a flat area, surrounded by more arches. The ground was covered in polished onyx. She hesitated outside the arch. The entire area hummed with energy, hidden in every stone, arch and charm. The hairs on Suzume’s arm rose along with her gooseflesh.

“Hello?” Suzume said and her voice echoed back at her amplified by the mountains which bounced it back towards her.

Akira glided into the courtyard styled area first. She moved slowly, her gaze moving across the empty space, searching for life. “He should be here,” she said in a hushed voice.

Suzume rubbed her forearms with the palms of her hands and was wishing she had a coat. Rin walked along the edge of courtyard examining the other arches. Unlike the main one at the steps these led onto nothing but gray-blue sky. Clouds drifted lazily past and skimmed across the courtyard cover half the space. I feel like I am in the kingdom of the eight. It’s like I’ve died and I am in heaven waiting to be judged. The analogy was oddly unsettling. Suzume went over to nearby arch and looked up. It too was hung with charms and one or two bells that chimed with the strong wind.

Kaito stood in the center of the courtyard his shoulders taut and his hands balled into fists at his side. He looked straight forward into the mist. He stood like a statue. Suzume’s skin felt tight over her bones and her muscles clenched. Her senses were on alert. Something was not right. Then from the mist, a silhouette appeared. They strolled out of the mist and toward Kaito. The clouds rolled away and revealed a young man . He had long black hair that was tied into a top knot. At his hip he wore two swords, their hilts were frayed. He had a square jaw and a severe mouth.

“Who dares enter this holy place?” he said in a gravely voice.

“I do, the Dragon of the West,” Kaito said in a rumbling voice that echoed off the mountains and surrounded them.

The man looked Kaito up and down. “Have you come to challenge me?”

Kaito smiled his teeth had already begun to elongate and his hands were half claws. “I have come for Kazue’s remains.”

“Wait!” Akira shouted and ran between Kaito and the man. “Don’t hurt him, that’s our father.”

Kaito growled. The man had not moved. His hand rested on the hilt of one of his swords. He did not deny or refute Akira’s statement.

“He looks like he’s the same age as you,” Suzume said in disbelief. “I was expecting an old man.”

Akira looked at her father, her expression was a mix of emotions, fear and relief.

“We’ve all been cursed to stay the same. We do not age, which means he has stayed the same as well.”

“Are you going to challenge me then?” He said to Akira.

She turned to face him. Suzume could only see Akira’s profile but the shock was plain enough to see.

“Father, do you not recognize your daughter?”

He answered with the screech of metal against the scabbard. He pulled out one of the blades and pointed it at Akira. “Choose your weapon. If you wish to enter the inner sanctum, you must get past me.”

Akira reached out to her father but her hand jerked back at the last moment. “He is not himself, Akira.” Tsuki said using his sister’s face. We have to get through to him, let me fight him.”

Akira looked to her father and then dropped her head. “You’re right.”

They switched in a seamless motion. Akira’s soft mouth and rounder cheeks melted into Tsuki’s high cheek bones and thinner lips. Suzume watched them from behind and saw the shift in the stance and knew that Tsuki had control once more.

“I’ll need a weapon,” Tsuki said. His voice had lost all of its usual humor.

His father removed the second blade and tossed it to Tsuki. He caught it midair. He removed the blade from it’s sheath and then he tossed the scabbard aside. Tsuki’s father, the guardian, took a defensive stance. His legs were spread apart and the blade was pointed at his son. Tsuki took on a similar pose, they bowed to one another —a half smirk slipped across Tsuki’s face. I imagine they sparred plenty of times in the past. Maybe his father even taught him to fight. They moved around in circles before the first attack. Tsuki was the first to move. He rushed his father with a low swipe which his father dodged and rolled away. The guardian’s robes rippled after like water. His movements were almost too quick for Suzume to watch. Tsuki stumbled having expected to land a blow, and the guardian swung back around with a thrust to Tsuki’s shoulder which Tsuki spun and blocked with his blade. The sound of metal scraping against one another rang out and echoed back at the fighters amplified by the mountains. They broke apart and Tsuki jumped backwards as his father rushed him once more slashing and cutting into Tsuki’s shoulder. Tsuki did not even acknowledge his wound. He went in for another attack. Tsuki tried to parry only to have his blade torn from his hand. It landed a few feet away at Kaito’s feet. Tsuki knelt on the ground panting his father’s blade pointed at his throat.

“You are not worthy.” The guardian pulled the sword back ready to strike when another sword blocked his swing.

The guardian looked up. “You challenge me?”

“I do.” Kaito said with a grin. “I have been waiting five hundred years to see Kazue, and I will not let you stop me.”

The guardian smiled. It reminded Suzume of Tsuki’s grin. Rin helped Tsuki to his feet and the two of them returned to the edge of the battlefield while Kaito’s battled ensued. Suzume was shocked to see how well Kaito could handle a blade. She had never seen him fight with one before. She had assumed he only used his claws and more dragon attributes. Kaito blocked all of the guardian’s blows and moved about in circles with a liquid grace. The guardian meanwhile gave no inch. He harried Kaito around the courtyard, metal clanked against metal and the battle continued. Suzume without realizing it had been creeping closer her hand clutching her throat as she watched. Every strike at Kaito had her holding her breath. The battle lasted much longer than Tsuki’s. Time lost all meaning, Suzume counted each breath between the clashes of swords and no victor was apparent. Suzume knew something was wrong when Kaito started to slip. At first it was just a small mistake, the guardian got within his defense and slashed across Kaito’s thigh. Then Kaito stumbled falling to his knees. The guardian lifted his blade high ready for a final blow. She moved without thinking, she ran forward her hand out stretched.

“Stop!” she shouted.

And then the sword fell

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 36 10
Sakura was a simple woman who ran a simple vet clinic, but when a man with wings came into her life everything changed. Now her doors are open to the...
547K 19K 75
She had only wanted to have a working marriage and a happy family. Despite that, her husband leaves her for another woman after the loss of their unb...
11 0 6
~ not your average fanfic. setting takes place in a magical world where dragons, knights, and kingdoms come alive. along with a few other mysteries...
231K 6.8K 45
COMPLETED "It was a quite night. The full moons light passed though the water and shined though my window, like it was trying to reach out to me. It...