The Damsel

By estellebelle

Sophie wants nothing more than to just be herself and fall in love, but that is hard to do when you are a pri... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 2

1.9K 42 8
By estellebelle

Sophie awoke with a start, she sat up and saw  a maid putting wood in the fire place. When the maid saw Sophie looking up she apologized, “Pardon me Princess, I am just trying to get the fire going.”

“What’s the time?” Sophie asked.

“It’s around six-thirty Miss.”

“Is it? Well, may I have my robe, I’d like to take a stroll in the garden.” Sophie asked the maid.

“Princess, I am not sure that is such a-”

Sophie cut the maid off, “I’ll say it was my idea, do not worry, this will not reflect badly upon you. Now, please fetch me my robe and slippers.”

“Yes, Miss.”

Five minutes later Sophie was out in the fresh morning air. She walked away from the house and to the stable, she loved horses. As she drew near the stable, Sophie wondered if she might go in. There was no one around. Sophie surveyed the area twice then unlatched the door and entered the stable. Inside were two beautiful Arabian horses. Sophie approached the stalls quietly, not wanting to spook the horses. She arrived at the nearest stall and began stoking the creature’s face.

“What’s your name? Hm, you’re quite handsome you know.” Sophie whispered to the horse.

Sophie was petting the other horse when she heard voices from the outside.

“Have you seen her?”One voice asked.

“Only from afar, but she’s a pretty as they make her out to be I reckon.” Replied the other.

The voices sounded like that boys, around Sophie’s age. As they drew closer Sophie realized she must hide. She ran behind the corner and found a closest to hide in.

No sooner had Sophie closed the door, the boys entered.

“I heard her father wants to marry her off to the Duke’s son.” Said the first voice.

“The Duke’s son? He wouldn’t please her, he’s a pansy.”

“Aye, pass me the food would you?”

“Here you go. Do you think the Prince would ever let Princess Sophie marry a commoner?” Inquired the second voice.

“Why? You thinking of asking the Princess to marry you?” The other jeered.

“What, no-”

“Mrs. Tom O’Brady, what a nice name, I’m sure she’d love to trade being a princess for being a stable boy.” The second one mocked.

“I’m not saying that. All I’m saying is that my mother told me that Princess Sophie has seemed uninterested in all the boys that she has been presented with-”

“So, what you are saying Tom, is that Her Royal Highness Princess Sophie of Caledonia is a snob.” The second boy laughed. “Turning up her pretty little nose at everyone.”

Sophie angered that she had been called a snob by someone who neither knew her nor the men she had presented with, leaned back against the wall of the closest causing a great many things to fall. She let out a small cry.

“What the hell was that?” Tom questioned.

Both boys ran over and opened the closest to find Sophie trying to clean up the mess of pots that had just fallen. Sophie turned around without a word.

Both boys stared at her a moment then bowed deeply, taking of their hats as well.

“Honoured to meet you Princess.” They grovelled in unison.

“There’s no need to do that, get up.” Sophie told them.

The boys stood up and looked at Sophie, seeing that she was in her dressing gown, they looked away quickly.

“May I come out of this closet?” Sophie asked.

The boys quickly moved aside and Sophie strode out. She walked to the horse’s stalls and inquired after their names.

“The one to the left is named Mark, and the girl, Sophie.” Tom answered.

Sophie blushed, “That’s embarrassing.”

Sophie petted the two horses for a couple more minutes, when the door opened and the maid that had been in Sophie room earlier came in and told her that she had only fifteen minutes to dress before she was to meet her father for breakfast.

As she was leaving Sophie turned and asked the second boy his name.

“Scott, Miss.”

“That’s a lovely name.” Sophie complimented him.

“Thank you Miss.”

Sophie waved and left the barn.

“Is she still a snot Scott?” Tom sneered.

Scott looked away and shook his head no.

“I didn’t think so.”

At the same moment, Sophie was being rushed into her room and undressed as quickly possible.

“Which dress would you like to wear Miss?” asked the maid.

“Um,  the red one.”

As soon as Sophie was dressed, she went down and walked into the breakfast room. Upon arrival she was shocked and appalled to see the Duke of Aldershot and Phillip sitting at the table with her father. All three men stood up when Sophie entered.

“May I present, Her Royal Highness Sophie Marie, Princess of Caledonia and of course my daughter.” Mark announced Sophie to the Duke and Phillip as if they had never met her before but of course they had been in her presence twelve hours ago. Despite this, both the Duke and Phillip bowed. Sophie resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance again Princess.” Phillip said.

“Likewise.” Sophie added.

“Please take a seat.” Phillip gestured to the chair next time.

Sophie reluctantly took her place at the table. After a few minutes of awkward silence, Sophie’s father turned to the Duke and whispered something in his ear. The Duke then curved toward Sophie, “I hear you enjoy horses Princess, we have quite a few fine ones ourselves don’t we son?”

Phillip who had been fiddling with his fork, sat up right abruptly,  “Yes, uh, a thoroughbred and three palominos. Quite lovely horses. Your father tells me that you have a horse of you own. What breed is he?”

Sophie looked at Phillip to see if he was genuinely interested, which he was, but not in her horse, in her bosom. She looked to her father to see if he had noticed but he was stirring his tea.

Sophie continued, “She is a palomino and her name is Melody.”

“Interesting name for a horse.” The Duke commented.

Luckily then, their breakfasts of eggs Benedict arrived. Sophie ate hers as quickly as she could. The men, as always, took longer to eat, but once her father had finished, he wasted no time in getting ready to go.

“Come now, dearest, we have a long day of travel ahead of us, not to mention a small supper this evening at the Lord Glenview’s.” Sophie’s father addressed Sophie.

As her father ushered her out of the room and into the receiving hall, the Duke approached, “Allow, my son to accompany you to your carriage Princess.” The Duke pushed Phillip forward.

“That won’t be necessary.” Mark said pulling Sophie along.

Once they were inside their carriage and their trunks all loaded up, Sophie’s father turned to her, “ You were quite right about that boy Monkey.” Her father told her, his tone disgusted.

“In what way?”

“Did you not notice him staring at you?”

“Yes, Papa, I did. But I said he was boring, not perverted.”

“Either way, you’ll not be seeing any more him.”

“I’m so deeply upset about that.” Sophie joked.

They rode the rest of the way silence as Sophie’s father had some letters to write and Sophie some school work to catch up on. About three hours into their journey, Mark called to the driver to stop in the next town they were so that they may purchase some refreshments and relieve themselves.

Fifteen minutes later they approached the town of Maplehurst, a small farming community. The carriage pulled to the side of the road, where Sophie and her father were let out of the carriage.

“Let’s find something to eat Monkey.” Mark told Sophie as they walked on.

The two soon found a baker, from which they bought some rolls. Sophie father inquired as to where they could find some meat and cheese,  so they could make sandwiches. The baker told them that the butcher sold both the items they were looking for. The pair then set out to find the shop. They found out without much problem and they soon had their sandwiches. As they were climbing back into the carriage, Sophie remembered the conversation that had ended so abruptly last night.

“Papa?”

“Yes, Monkey?” Mark replied his mouth full.

“Why have you been avoiding Grandma Elizabeth and Grandpa Luke for ten years?”

Mark sighed, “I was hoping that you had forgotten about that.”

“No such luck.”

“Well, it all started with the death of your mother when you were four. Your grandmother instantly thought that you, now without a mother, would grow up to be wild and without manners. At your mother’s funeral she brought women who she thought would be good candidates for your governess. I was incredibly insulted that at her daughter’s own funeral your grandmother had decided to raise such a subject with me so soon after I had lost my wife. I called her out on it right in front of practically all the nobles in this land. She never forgave me for it.-”

“Wait, you mean to tell me that we haven’t seen Grandma and Grandpa in ten years because-”

“There is more Sophie. I managed to get over your grandmother’s display at the funeral and take you to visit them every other month. One month, you would go to see them, the next to see my parents. It worked well until you turned six. You became louder then, and not what your Grandma Elizabeth would consider “lady-like”. It never bothered me however. The monthly visits continued and every time your grandmother would look more and more displeased at your behaviour. Finally, the last time we were visiting them, when we were trying to leave she refused to let you leave with me, saying that if you did you would not be raised properly and would  be a disgrace to the family. She proposed that you be kept there to be raised by a world class governess she had already hired. Of course, I went up to your grandmother and kindly asked if she would give you to me so we could begin our journey home. At which point she dragged you inside their home and closed the doors, locking me out”-

Sophie looked startled, “Did she really do that to you? You must have been furious!”

“Furious doesn’t even begin to describe how I felt at the moment. I heard you crying through the door, I then heard you scream in pain, your grandmother had hit you for being too loud. I could no longer control myself, I told the guards to break down the door. They hesitated but complied eventually. The door was broken down and I grabbed you and took you to the carriage, screaming that they would never hear from us again.”

“So, that’s why-”

“There is still more. Shortly thereafter I received at call to come see my father. I wasn’t to bring you. I attended the meeting, during which I was told that your Grandma Elizabeth had put through a motion in the courts to have you taken away from me. My father told me that she had sufficient evidence, although to this day I have no idea what that evidence was. I was gone for three days, when I returned you had disappeared, your grandmother had come for you. I rode on my own to their home as fast as I could and retrieved you. I banned them from coming anywhere near you, me or anyone in our party. And for the last ten years, they’ve listened.”

Sophie who was now extremely upset, “Why don’t I remember any of this?”

“I don’t know Monkey but I am thankful that you don’t. The whole experience was terrible.”

Sophie then asked her father why they were going to see her mother’s parents now.

“Because now, you are too old for them to wanting custody and I believe that you should know them.” Sophie’s father answered matter of factly.

“Will they be kind to you?” Sophie asked.

“They’ll be  pleasant enough. Not too kind though, they disliked me when your mother and I were married.”

“Why? You’re the son of the King, what more could they want for their daughter?”

“I’ve often wondered the same thing Monkey.”

Sophie then remembered that she had to wear a white dress while she was visiting them. She asked her father why that was necessary.

“Well, Monkey, your grandmother believes that all girls should wear white until they are married.”

“But Papa, surely she knows that I wear other colors to balls, suppers and things of the like. People talk.”

“Yes, I know Sophie, but we must try to what we can. You, must be on your best behaviour .”

“What does that require me to do?”

“Speak only when spoken to, using all the utensils provided, dancing with whom you are told and most importantly, no wandering off, you must stay either with me or your escort at all times. I’d like to keep their criticisms of you and myself to a minimum.”

“They sound awfully snotty.”

Mark laughed, “I won’t lie to you Monkey, they are. Now finish of your lunch and try to get some rest, you’ll want to be able to sit through the Lord Glenview’s supper tonight.”

“Will it be tedious?” Sophie asked.

“I don’t know about tedious but the Lord does like to tell stories, very dramatic stories.”

Sophie sighed, not looking forward to the night’s activities. She finished her sandwich and opened up her copy of Macbeth, and found her favourite quote in the play.

Stars hide your fires, let not light see my black and deep desires.” Act 1, Scene 4.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 295 34
WARNING: My FIRST story. Read at own risk. Sophie lived a normal life.....well almost normal. Although she's absolutely gorgeous, she has no friends...
958K 44.9K 44
Frankie is leaving her old life behind and starting over at college. All she wants to do is get through college so she can go far away. But Cameron...
347 0 20
16 year old Cassandra has always dreamt of becoming a real life princess and live in a beautiful castle with her Prince Charming all her life. When s...
9.1K 472 23
"She wants nothing to do with him... He would be miserable without her." ****** Meet Sophie Franklin, a fiercely indepen...