Once Brothers (Songs of War F...

By BlueAngel2571

(!!!THIS STORY IS UNDER A MAJOR REWRITE!!!) In the frigid mountains of Northwind, The Walls of Time were crea... More

Introduction
Charater Sheet
Prologue
Chapter 1: Death's Road
Chapter 2: Welcome Home (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 3: Once Again (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 4: Past and Traps (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 5: Death Knocks On My Door (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 6: The Fight Goes On (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 7: Lost and Found (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 8: I Was Lost But Now I'm Found? (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 9: Something Old, Something New (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 10: Day Off (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 11: Tip of the Spear (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 12: Row Your Boat (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 13: A Helping Hand (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 14: Second Chance (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 15: Reminiscence (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 17: Dark and Stormy Night (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 18: Mischief and Mayhem (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 19: Fleeting Escape (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 20: Reckoning (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 21: Talk of Masters (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

Chapter 16: A Lesson of Sticks and Stones (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

1K 27 61
By BlueAngel2571

(What is up!? Wait don't tell me! The sky! Nah, I'm just joking with ya! *ahem* I would like to thank @Gren-ade; @Abalyes_Voltaris; and @Reepoder for following me! Here's another chapter!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Would suggest listening to HTTYD (PS3) Game OST- Village)

A Few Days Later...

(Achillean's POV)

"Keep up slowpoke!" Ingressus yelled from further ahead.

Achillean's heart pounded as he tried not to lose his grip as he climbed up the stone crag. The wooden sword on his back made him feel uneasy. He was sure even though the weapon was made of wood. It seemed to add extra weight and made the climb more difficult. Achillean had hardly any strength in his arms to pull himself up the stone wall.

Ingressus on the other hand had already climbed up the crag, and given from the sound of his voice, he was much further ahead. Achillean didn't know where Ingressus had learned to climb so fast! What exactly did the Voltaris do out there? Grabbing the vines that seemed to grow from the small holes inside the rock, Achillean hauls himself up to the top of the crag. As he gets to his knees, he stands up, but immediately regrets it as his head hits a low hanging branch on a tree above him.

"Ow," Achillean said, as he rubbed the area on his head where he was sure a bump would form.

It was another day off, but instead of going to the meadow or playing games with his friends. Ingressus had told Achillean that he had a surprise he wanted to show him. Achillean had told his friends that Ingressus and himself had other tasks they needed to take care of today. He felt bad for lying to them. Or was it really lying? They never asked what "tasks" they had to do. Achillean was sure his friends were probably sleeping the morning away. Looking down at his throbbing fingers, Achillean could see small blisters that lined his palms, and it seemed trying to climb the walls of stone only made his hands hurt more.

Walking to the edge of the stone crag, Achillean looked down at the surging water beneath him, the waves battered against the stone crags that stood like firm guardians to the shores. Mist and drops of saltwater were carried upward in the wind and splashed against his face, and over the stone crags that he still had to maneuver over.

Sure enough, Ingressus was ahead by two stones, not even tired as he waited on the young Nestoris. Looking down at the stone crag in front of him, Achillean felt more nervous. The crags were already hard to climb, but the ocean waves had covered these next ones with water! The droplets of water sparkling in the morning sunlight. Ingressus could see Achillean hesitating.

"Don't think about it, just jump!" Ingressus said encouragingly.

"I'm starting to wonder if you ever really think before you throw yourself at danger," Achillean said, as he continued to look down.

"Or I just look danger in the face and tell it to go eat a shroom," Ingressus said. "Come on it's not that bad! This is a great way to start the morning! Really gets the adrenaline going right?"

Achillean watched as another monstrous wave crashed against the crag with enough force that the young Nestoris could feel it rattle his bones. Those were some strong waves... Knowing he had gone too far to turn back now, Achillean runs forward and jumps...

He lands on a smaller crag that was shorter than the one he had jumped off of. His feet skidded against the top, sending small chunks of dirt and pebbles of rock down into the ocean below. This had been a terrible idea! Achillean thought as he regained his balance.

"I'm sure by adrenaline rush you mean nearly scaring my horns off!" Achillean said as he looked at the next obstacle ahead of him.

This jump looked farther than the others had been... if he missed, Achillean was sure he would plummet into the water below... It wasn't that far of a drop, but that didn't make the jump feel any more unpleasant.

"Remember, push through your fear. When you do that, you can accomplish anything! I won't let you fall," Ingressus said.

Achillean didn't know how Ingressus stayed so motivated, but it definitely was helping. Crouching down low, Achillean wills himself to be able to do this. Just like he had when he was first learning to spearfish. He could do this! He just had to give it a chance! Taking a few steps back, Achillean runs forward and jumps...

A feeling of panic surged through him when he realized he wasn't going to make it! Reaching out, Achillean grabs the nearest vine he could. His body smacks against the pier, almost making him lose his grip, as the air in his lungs was knocked out of him. His knuckles scraped against the stone. Breathing heavily, Achillean uses what strength he has and climbs, his arms shaking as he tried to pull up.

Looking up, Achillean could see Ingressus with his hand outstretched. He reaches up, and grabs his friend's hand, the young Nestoris hissing between his teeth, flinching from the stinging in his own palms. Ingressus grunts as he pulled Achillean up. Both find even footing on the crag.

"Nice job! We're nearly there," Ingressus said.

Nearly!? Achillean thought.

As Achillean caught his breath, Ingressus ran forward and confidently jumped over a gap between two crags, and continued running, then jumped over another gap. Landing triumphantly on a much larger crag. Achillean notices how the crags ahead were all level and even with each other. Guess they had finally cleared the hardest part of this exercise of having to climb up?

Achillean runs forward and jumps to the next crag, he keeps running, then jumps a final time and lands on the last large crag Ingressus stood on. Achillean leaned over as he caught his breath. He normally wasn't this active, he only ever climbed the fishing pier, but it wasn't as steep as these jagged rocks of stone.

(Would suggest listening to HTTYD (PS3) Game OST- Training Menu)

"Well, we made it!" Ingressus said. Achillean lightly chuckled, his friend wasn't even tired. Achillean on the other hand, felt like he had taken a beating. He looked at the scratches that were bleeding on his knuckles, and the blisters on his hands.

"Is this what you normally do on your own time?" Achillean asked. "Climbing crags, diving deep under the ocean, and even sneaking into areas you're not supposed to, and stealing wooden swords?" 

That was how Achillean had come to acquire his "new weapon." Ingressus had walked to his hut the previous evening and asked if Achillean had wanted to learn a few basic sword moves in the morning. Achillean had reminded his friend of how Ingressus only had one sword. Then, Ingressus had surprised him by pulling another wooden sword out of his inventory and tossed it to Achillean. Who had clumsily caught it.

Now here he was, outside the village, on top of a stone crag, early in the morning. They hadn't even begun practicing, and Achillean was already tired.

"You could say I'm very open-minded. Besides, this place is kind of like the meadow. It's outside the village, away from everyone, and look at this view!" Ingressus said as he stretched his arms out, taking in all the other towering sea crags that surrounded them.

Achillean's eyes widened as he looked on in amazement. He had always seen the crags from a distance sitting at the pier, but now... he was standing as tall as they were! As the sun kissed, the peaks and reflected its light onto the ocean below. Decorating the ocean's surface with shadows on the foamy water. Achillean was always surprised how Ingressus continued showing him different perspectives of things. And those "different perspectives" always shined a new light on the "dangerous Voltaris" Achillean had mistook Ingressus for...

"Now enough sightseeing! Let's start!" Ingressus said as he unsheathed the wooden sword from his back. Achillean reaches his right arm behind his shoulder, grabbing the hilt of his sword, and draws the weapon. It still felt strange in his hands...

"Now we already went over all the parts, but let's see if you can remember them. Remember what I told you?" Ingressus asked.

Achillean nodded as he racked his brain for all the information Ingressus had taught him. Over the past few days, Ingressus had shown and taught Achillean the parts of a sword.

"In order to master handling a weapon, you must first understand the in's and outs of it, and try to understand how it works," Achillean quoted a phrase Ingressus had told him days before.

Ingressus began pointing to each part of the sword, and Achillean would have to tell him what part that was. "Pommel, grip, cross-guard," Achillean began answering for each new part that was pointed at. It was funny how he had been doing exactly this with Ingressus years prior, teaching him the parts of a fishing rod.

"And those makeup what?" Ingressus asked.

"Those are the parts that make up the hilt of a sword," Achillean said.

Ingressus then points along the edges of the sword, while Achillean answered for each part. "The fuller, edge, and point all make up the blade."

Ingressus nodded. "Now fighting can be fun, and very dangerous. There are many ways to do it, and it takes years to get it right. So I need to see your stance. It's relatively similar to the spearfishing stance, you've had practice with balance against the ocean waves. But now you don't have to worry about the waves here."

Achillean squatted down into a wide stance, his arm dropping down slightly, he was still getting used to the sword's weight. He couldn't even imagine how heavy an iron sword must be... Ingressus circled around him, adjusting his stance until he was satisfied.

"Now the first thing I'm going to teach you: is how to block. Yes attacking your enemy with strikes can be effective, but defending and dodging their attacks can give you a greater advantage. Especially if you're fighting more than one opponent," Ingressus said.

Achillean was surprised how much Ingressus knew about this. He seemed to be listing off the instructions as if it was as common as breathing for him. Whoever had taught him all this had done a good job.

"Now grip the hilt with both hands," Ingressus instructed. "I'm going to throw an easy strike, and you're going to block it. Now show me. Bring your sword up swiftly."

Achillean grips his sword with both hands, as he tried to imagine Ingressus coming towards him. Quickly bringing his sword up, Achillean holds it up in a defensive stance. "Like this?" he asked curiously.

Ingressus nodded. "Just like that. Now be ready." Achillean lowered his sword and watched as Ingressus got in his fighting stance. Ingressus quickly runs forward and raises his sword, swinging it down a split second later. Achillean brings his sword up. A loud smack sounds out as the two swords impact each other. Achillean felt his sword shudder from the impact, sending a jolt of pain through his arms, causing him to drop his sword. Before even a second had passed, Ingressus had his sword's blade against Achillean's throat. He lowers it a second later.

Achillean felt embarrassed. His first lesson and he couldn't even hold on to his sword. Leaning down, he picks up the wooden blade.

"That was your grip that made you drop your sword," Ingressus pointed out. "Remember to have a firm grip, and stand strong against the attack. It's almost like the ocean waves. You stand as still as you can against them. This is similar, only now you're standing against the force of another opponent's weapon. Now try again."

Both ardoni get into their fighting stances, Achillean grips his sword with both hands, making sure his grip would not falter this time. Ingressus runs forward and swings his sword from a different angle this time. Bringing his sword up, Achillean blocks the strike. This time holding the hilt of his weapon firmly.

Glad that Achillean had learned quickly, Ingressus nodded his head in approval. They practiced the simple defensive block a few more times until Achillean got the hang of it. Then they moved on to the next move: an evasive maneuver.

Ingressus would slowly swing his sword, and Achillean would have to evade and dodge the strikes. They did that for hours. Soon, Ingressus was able to swing his sword with more speed as Achillean became used to dodging. The final move Ingressus taught his friend was: an offensive move. A simple strike, like the one Ingressus, had done.

Running forward, Achillean swings his weapon at Ingressus, who in turn, brings his sword up quickly and blocks the attack, before parrying Achillean's sword downwards unexpectedly! Ingressus swung his sword again, causing Achillean to swiftly step back, blocking two unexpected strikes Ingressus threw at him! Ingressus pushes him back, then quickly spins around as he brought his sword high over his head and swings it down at Achillean's legs!

Achillean's eyes widened as he jumped over the wooden blade! But Ingressus was not finished, as he swung his sword again! Bringing his sword up, Achillean blocks another strike that had been aimed at his throat. Both ardoni stood breathing heavily as they held their sword's blades against the other's.

Achillean had not been expecting Ingressus to do that! The young Nestoris was even more surprised to realize that he had just done all those moves without even thinking...

Ingressus smiled and nodded as he took a step back. "Glad to see you've been paying attention," he said as he sheathed his sword on his back. "But remember this is only the basics."

Achillean looked around and noticed how the sun was already setting. Where had the time gone!? Achillean sheathed his sword on his back. His body felt tired and sore, Ingressus had managed to get a few good hits on him earlier in the day. As easy as he was trying to make it, Achillean knew his friend was holding back force in his strikes. But Achillean was determined to learn more. Looking around as he thought about the day, Achillean realized why Ingressus had chosen this spot of all places in Nestoria to train. Not only was it away from others, but the crags offered their own way of training. Achillean figured he would get stronger the more he climbed, each time they would make their way up here.

Looking around at the vast crags that surrounded their place of training. Achillean turned around, and followed Ingressus, leaping over the gaps. Determined to keep up with him this time...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Ingressus' POV)

After they had climbed down the last crag, Ingressus and Achillean started following the path that would take them to the village. Ingressus had felt a rush from the day! He could hardly remember the last time he had spared against anyone! Achillean had been right when he'd said he'd never held a sword before. Ingressus had been expecting his friend to make mistakes. But then again, Ingressus knew one learned a lot more from their mistakes than their successes.

Ingressus remembered his first lesson when he was six before he had ever been given his stone sword. The lesson had definitely ended much more awkwardly... Instead of his stick just dropping to the ground, Blazien had sent Ingressus' stick flying across the cave because he hadn't gripped it tightly enough... Not only had the stick flown across the room, but it had hit an unfortunate elder sleeping nearby... Ingressus had never seen Titus as cranky as he was then...

The memory brought a smile to his face as he walked alongside Achillean. Time always seemed to fly when Ingressus spared against someone.

"You got me pretty beat. I'd be surprised if I'll ever match up to your skills one day," Achillean said. Ingressus could already see bruises forming on Achillean's arms, and his hands looked like they'd had a run-in with a sea urchin.

"With time and training, you'll get there," Ingressus encouraged. Suddenly, both ardoni stopped walking when they heard noises ahead of them. Someone was running towards them...

"Quick hide!" Ingressus whispered. There was no telling what punishment they'd be given if they got caught with the swords! Ingressus and Achillean quickly dive down into some bushes as the footsteps got closer. Both are quiet for a moment, not daring to make a sound. Soon the running footsteps are right on the other side of the bushes... Then it's dead quiet... Had the person passed by?

"I know you're in there, come out," a familiar voice said. Ingressus knew they'd be caught unless one of them revealed themselves. Taking the sword off his back and hiding it in the bush, Ingressus stands up straight. Seeing the ardoni face to face.

"Serena?" Ingressus said, surprised.

Serena looked even more surprised to see him. "Ingressus, what are you doing out here? And why are you hiding in the bushes?" she asked as she raised a curious eyebrow.

"I-I was just... uh... making sure no bees were in here. Trying to make sure they don't overrun Nestoria like they're trying to back at the meadow," Ingressus said awkwardly.

Serena busted out laughing, making Ingressus' face feel hot with embarrassment. Ingressus could also hear quiet snickers of laughter from beneath him. Ingressus lightly kicks Achillean on the ground. "Ow!" his friend whispered, keeping his voice low to remain hidden.

"Okay Mr. Beekeeper, I'm sure Nestoria is safer in your capable hands," Serena said humorously once she had caught her breath from laughing. "Hey, since you're out here, want to come watch something with me?" she asked.

Ingressus knew he didn't have anything better to do. That, and Serena might ask more unwanted questions about why he was out here. "Uh, sure. You go on ahead, I'll catch up with you," he replied.

Serena gives him a questioning look, then walks off further down the path.

Ingressus hears Achillean start laughing in the bushes again.

"And what is so funny?" Ingressus asked.

"I was just making sure no bees overran Nestoria!" Ingressus heard Achillean say, doing an impression of him. Ingressus held back a laugh. He had to admit, not one of his best cover-up stories. "Just make sure no one finds the swords," he instructed. "I'll be back later."

Ingressus walked out of the bushes and ran further down the path until he caught up with Serena.

(Would suggest listening to Birth of Love by BrunuhVille)

"So, where are we going?" Ingressus asked as he walked alongside her.

"You'll see when we get there," Serena responded.

Ingressus was surprised Serena was even outside. Ever since the... incident, Serena had been staying inside Yamuna's hut. So he hadn't seen her around the village lately.

"Does Yamuna know you're out here?" he asked curiously.

Serena rolls her eyes. "No, and I don't intend to tell her I was out either. I just have been waiting on something for a while, and I wasn't going to let even Yamuna ruin it for me."

"So how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine, but I don't know when I'll be able to go pearl diving again... Yamuna knew what she was talking about back at her hut. I guess the saltwater had stayed in my lungs long enough for me to catch an infection..." Serena said quietly.

"What infection?" Ingressus asked.

"I... I have pneumonia," Serena said hesitantly.

"Are you okay?!"

Serena looks away. "I try to deal with it as best I can, sometimes it's hard for me to breathe. Or I'll be shivering even though I'll be warm with a small fever. Other times my heart just starts beating quickly for no reason, or I'll just feel unwell at random moments. I'm really hoping this goes away soon. I want to get back to pearl diving!"

Ingressus felt a little uneasy with Serena going back underwater again. A shiver ran up his spine as he remembered what had happened. "Why do you want to go down there again?"

"I enjoy doing it. You can see all kinds of stuff down there," Serena said.

Ingressus didn't really understand what she meant by that, all he had seen when he'd been under the water, was darkness. Serena stops walking when they reach the sandy beaches. There was hardly any gravel this far from the village. Serena climbs up a small dune of sand, Ingressus follows her.

When they reached the top, Serena lays down on her stomach. Ingressus lays down beside her.

"So now will you tell me why we're out here?" Ingressus asked.

"I told you, we're here to watch something," Serena said. "Can you guess what?"

Ingressus looked out at the ocean as the sun continued to set. "Are we watching the sunset?"

"Nope, guess again."

Ingressus continues thinking. "Hmm... are we watching the ocean waves?"

"Close, but not quite," Serena said.

Ingressus was out of ideas. "Okay, then are we watching the seagulls?"

Serena giggled. "No silly!"

She raises her hand to the back of Ingressus' head and makes him look down. At the bottom of the sand dune, Ingressus could see a large hole in the ground filled with tiny white rocks.

"I was coming here to watch the sea turtles hatch. I've been counting the days down. It's been two months."

"Oh," Ingressus said, feeling stupid for not having realized the answer sooner. "I've never seen sea turtles hatch before. Where's the mother?"

"Mother sea turtles lay their eggs here on the beach, then they go back into the ocean and don't ever come back. Once the babies hatch, they have to find their way to the ocean all by themselves," Serena explained.

As they waited, Ingressus admired the sun as it set. Soon, soft cracking sounds could be heard beneath them. Both Serena and Ingressus look down and watched as the first of the eggs hatched. The turtles were so tiny!

And they have to make a journey to the ocean all by themselves?! Ingressus thought.

Soon the tiny turtles crawl out of the hole. One by one, each of the turtles crawled towards the ocean, leaving small trails in the sand. There were so many! Every turtle seemed to have a built-in compass to know where to go, each one making a safe trip back to the ocean. Ingressus had never seen anything like that before!

"Oh no!" Serena said beside him. Looking down, Ingressus saw one baby turtle trying to climb up the sand dune. "He's going the wrong way."

Serena stood up, then slid down the sand dune, Ingressus followed her. Once she had reached the bottom, she picked up the tiny turtle and carried it to the ocean. Laying it down on the sand, the ocean waves swept over it and carried it out to its home.

"I guess not every turtle knows the right way. Looks like you saved it!" Ingressus said.

"Yeah, I guess I did," Serena said sheepishly. "You know... I never got the chance to say it before, but..."

Ingressus was still admiring the pretty sunset, when Serena threw her arms around him, taking him completely by surprise as she hugged him!

"Thank you for saving me," Serena said gratefully.

Ingressus' eyes were wide, as he tried to understand what had just happened! They were watching baby turtles hatch, then they had saved one, now Serena was thanking him for saving her! Ingressus wasn't used to being hugged... but the feeling was nice. He was glad that Serena was safe, he couldn't imagine any harm coming to her... Smiling as he wrapped his arms around her, Ingressus replied.

"I'm glad that I was able to, and that you're alive and safe."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 143 40
Through thick and thin the Law shall prevail. A new sense of purpose awaits us, children of light, in the land where it all began. The darkness in wh...
762 60 8
"Daring mission or deadly mistake?" - - - - - - - - - - - - - Achillean may not know who shot him three months ago, but what he does know is the city...
5.6K 215 16
We all have demons... and sometimes they win. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- When Amaya left the main Voltari...
14.2K 319 33
Senn was told by Thalleous that his parents were killed in a Voltaris attack during the Great War. He knows that feeling where you're the only one wh...