Chapter 4: Past and Traps (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

The sun had risen more after a few minutes of trekking through the woods. The farther out they walked, the more Ingressus was beginning to wonder just how far out these traps were. But he supposed it was better than being back at the camp. Normally he would sleep, then be woken up, only to just have time to himself.

He did try to help out whenever he could, getting wood from the storage and making sure the fires stayed lit to keep the cave warm. Sometimes, if Master Dominus wasn't busy, he would teach Ingressus a thing or two with sword skills. But lately, the Master had seemed otherwise engaged. Titus was the only Voltaris who really didn't do anything. When Ingressus had been much younger, Titus would tell him stories when he was bored. But after so many years of hearing the same tall tales... pretty soon listening to stories became boring too.

Ingressus wanted to help the warriors and hunters out in the forest. But Master Dominus wanted only adults out of the cave, because of all the "danger." Sure the wolves from yesterday were ferocious, but Ingressus had been able to handle them, with Blazien by his side. Ingressus couldn't understand why Master Dominus was always on edge. Blazien snapped Ingressus out of his thoughts.

"We have arrived. This is where we'll start but keep close by my side. Some of the traps may still be active." Ingressus tried to spot any traps that could be nearby, but, the heavy blizzard that had gone over the mountains overnight, had covered the area in fresh snow. Blazien walked through the forest with confidence, he turned his head, looking over towards a tree. Ingressus followed his older brother's gaze but doesn't see anything. Blazien slowly walks forward towards a tree, inspecting it, then sighs.

"This trap hasn't even been touched. Let's continue on." Going further down the trail, Ingressus began to notice how nice the forest could be when it wasn't snowing so bad. Soon, they stop again, and Ingressus spots a rope hanging from a tree, the end of it tied in a loop.

"What's that suppose to catch up there?" Ingressus asked.

"It seems whatever walked into it, was lucky enough to get out. It will take me a moment to reset it," Blazien said, as he walked over to the tree, then began untying the rope from a branch.

As Blazien worked, Ingressus' thoughts drift off once more. Hearing sticks snapping in the distance, he tensed as he readied to grab his sword. While swinging the rope over a branch, Blazien looked over at him and gave his younger brother a smirk.

"Relax Ingressus, not every snapping twig is something dangerous," Blazien said, as he tightened the rope and began concealing it with leaves. Taking off his pack and digging through it, Blazien pulled out a few berries and a small piece of meat, putting them in the center of the loop on the ground. He then covered the food with snow and leaves, being careful not to touch the trap.

Putting the pack back on, Blazien begins walking again. Ingressus followed him closely, tensing with every sound he heard in the distance, becoming almost annoyed by how many noises he heard that made him feel on edge. Blazien spots another trap, this one having a rabbit caught in it. He bends over to untie it, while Ingressus watched their backs.

While waiting, Ingressus breaks the silence."Blazien... why do we live like this?"

After Blazien untied the knot, he set the rabbit aside on the ground, putting his pack down again, he begins resetting the trap in the bushes. "What do you mean Ingressus?" Blazien questioned while not looking up from his task.

"I mean why do we live like this?" Ingressus asked, indicating to the forest around him. "Why do we live in these mountains if they are dangerous and food is hard to get? If Master Dominus cares about safety so much, why don't we move someplace safe, instead of deeper in the woods?"