Deprived

By Shifting2wolf

Pale, inhumanly fast, unparalleled reflexes and even better senses, Vampires were well known in the supernatu... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Business as usual
Chapter 2 - Wandering eyes
Chapter 3 - Meant to be
Chapter 4 - Crack
Chapter 5 - All is lost
Chapter 6 - A new reality
Chapter 7 - Worst nightmare
Chapter 8 - The search
Chapter 9 - Bleed it out
Chapter 10 - Queen Bee
Chapter 11 - Mine
Chapter 12 - A sign
Chapter 13 - Addiction
Chapter 14 - Release
Chapter 15 - Agony
Chapter 16 - Empty
Chapter 17 - Defiled
Chapter 18 - A Message
Chapter 19 - Vengeance
Chapter 20 - A Dryad's warning
Chapter 21 - Voices and Whispers
Chapter 22 - When one life ends...
Chapter 23 - ... a new one begins.
Chapter 24 - Awkward introductions
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - True Family
Chapter 27 - Eternal Scars
Chapter 28 - Possible allies
Chapter 29 - An Improba's debt
Chapter 30 - The plan
Chapter 32 - "It's not my fault..."
Chapter 33 - Monsters
Chapter 34 - Slow and steady
Chapter 35 - Progress
Chapter 36 - A new beginning
Chapter 37 - Sylvar
Chapter 38 - Bonding
Chapter 39 - Blood's Calling
Chapter 40 - Rules and Reminders
Chapter 41 - Understanding
Chapter 42 - Truce
Chapter 43 - Safety
Chapter 44 - Medicine
Chapter 45 - Okay
Chapter 46 - A step
Chapter 47 - Sugar and Spice
Chapter 48 - Memories
Chapter 49 - Knowledge
Chapter 50 - Contribution
Chapter 51 - Touch
Chapter 52 - Progress
Chapter 53 - Family

Chapter 31 - Sanctuary

6.4K 547 42
By Shifting2wolf

The Deprived were all gathered around, most wary of the large group of elves that were standing guard. It was odd how they were more wary from the elves, whom had kept themselves aside, than from the three Improba that had been seeing them on a daily basis.

Jesse didn't really care though. He didn't know what to feel about the gathering, only that he wanted to go in the woods and go back to the calm and quiet.

Even if the Deprived weren't making any sound themselves, beside some scared mewling whenever the elves got too close to comfort. And yet, with the soft muttering of the guards, the elves talking in their lilting tongue, it almost felt...

Overwhelming.

Jesse shivered, pulling his clothes closer around himself as he looked at his toes. Even the other Deprived were making him uncomfortable, eying him back with the same distant, worried look.

All of them wanted the same thing as him. To blend in with the surroundings. To forget.

To disappear.

A soft yet gentle touch against his hand made Jesse stiffen the slightest bit, looking up from the corner of his eye before he relaxed when he recognized his father.

Slowly, hesitantly, his hand relaxed, allowing to settle in his father's hand. Reluctant to close his hand around his fathers but allowed him to gently rub his thumb over his knuckles.

The touch sent shivers over his spine, memories of the past slowly creeping up and threatening to overwhelm him. A small, unwanted fragment of a memory snuck up on him, unintentionally shared with his father.

A memory of when he was smaller, perhaps six years old. A few months before his mother would meet her true mate. Back then, they had been walking home after she picked him up from school when thick storm clouds had gathered at the horizon.

Even though it didn't phase him anymore, back then, Jesse had been terrified of lightning, or rather the earsplitting rumbling that always followed.

But his mom had held a gentle hold of his hand, squeezing her fingers softly around his before using her thumbs to brush over his knuckles. A small, unspoken sign that meant so much.

Don't be afraid. I'm here for you. You're safe. Nothing will happen to you while I'm around.

Jesse had looked up to see her smile warmly, a kind look of understanding in her eyes before she pressed a finger to her lips. Leaning down, she whispered in his ears, "Personally I don't like all that racket either... how about we watch a movie tonight and have some pizza?"

It had instantly lit up his chubby face as Jesse grinned widely in response. How could he have known back then, that it was the last time his mother would be considered his mum?

The fingers around his hand tightened, snapping him out of his memory before he was gently pulled in a warm hug. Jesse's heart galloped away in fear, thundering in his ears as he fought with himself not to lash out.

It felt good though. But Jesse knew he didn't deserve to feel good. Whores that were the direct cause of their mates' death should be punished.

"None of that." A voice sounded beside him before a finger flicked against his forehead. Stunned, Jesse looked up whilst rubbing over the offended spot, looking straight into Joseph's eyes.

The Improba looked down with a stern yet understanding gaze as he crossed his arms. Actively ignoring the fact that the Leshen was slowly approaching, keeping a keen eye on him.

Instead of growing wary or afraid, the gesture only reminded Jesse about their past interactions. How Joseph had done this a few times to Jesse, especially when he was overthinking.

It had been one of his quirks, to easily overthink about certain things. While Jesse was confident...used to be confident, his mind would always grind to a halt over the most inane details.

Not enough to break him out of his stride, but the thoughts would always linger. Small, niggling thoughts of creeping doubt, that Jesse wasn't good enough. Would never be good enough.

And whenever Joseph had caught Jesse getting stuck into his own mind, most likely sensing the internal pain Jesse's mind was inflicting on himself... he stopped it.

Joseph smiled warmly, tapping Jesse's nose and making the Pixie huff tiredly. "Remember what I said, kid. Chin up and believe in yourself. Love yourself. You deserve it."

No, I don't.

... I don't....think I do...

....maybe?...

He shook his head to shake away the thought before looking up when hot air blasted in his neck. Without even looking up, his hand reached upwards before landing on cold bone and moss.

"...It's.....okay..." Jesse's breathed murmur was lost in the sounds around them, but those close to him could hear it. Quietly, Joseph, Xavier and Jesse's father Sylvar watched as, almost mechanically, Jesse petted the jaw of the Leshen.

And the great beast, that made many of the Deprived and even the elves surrounding them shrink back, purred.

Everyone stared in awe as the Leshen slowly lulled it's head within Jesse's hold. Almost like a content, lazy cat, demanding more attention.

As the last of the Deprived finally staggered on the clearing and the guards closed the ranks, Xavier glanced around before nodding.

They didn't quite know if the Leshen actually understood their language but they had informed it of their plans as well. Even if it hadn't reacted in any shape or form, it had stayed nearby. Watching.

Waiting.

"Okay, so, with all the elves present, we can start a teleportation spell, but it's going to take us quite some time and resources. The downside is that, we need to stand closer to one another and.... What... what is it...doing?" Fabian stopped mid explanation, eying the Leshen with growing hesitation.

As it was, the beast in it's humanoid form had brushed a finger across Jesse's jaw with a long, clawed bony finger. It had stepped away from the small group until it was in the middle of the gathering.

With a deep snorted huff, it sank it's claws deep within the forest soil just when it drew Fabian's attention. As all eyes pulled towards the Leshen, the ground underneath their feet shivered, rumbled and shifted.

Thick roots seemed to sprout from where the bone claws emerged from the moss, snaking over the floor followed by a black fog, piercing through the dirt. It sped past the group before twisting into a circle around them.

All of a sudden, thick branches started growing out of the ground; twisted, black thornbushes that grew abnormally large, reaching for the skies and blotting out the sun.

The Deprived started to scream in fear, huddling together as the blast mist seemed to thicken for a split second, before suddenly, the thorns stopped.

Slowly the branches withered and sank back and when the black mist receded back within the Leshen, they were no longer at the compound.

Instead, they were at the Sanctuary.

"A mass teleportation.... Within seconds?" Fabian breathed with widened eyes, all the elves bowing reverently towards the Leshen as it straightened out to its full height.

"Fabian! We hadn't expected the group to arrive until at least a few hours from-Oh..." one of the approaching guards halted, eying the Leshen worriedly before his eyes filled with understanding.

The Hellhound quickly cleared his throat before stating, "We had some aid from...our ally. Can you send word to Isabelle that we arrived?"

The man nodded, eyes flitting towards the gathered Deprived with kindness in his eyes. "Of course! We've added enough residences to fit all the Deprived individually or with their families. Adjustments can be quite easily made."

A shriek sounded in the distance, to which the Leshen instantly reacted, shifting back into its more monstrous form.

Everyone watched fearfully as it's massive form thundered past, halting before a secondary Leshen, this one more slender and had less defined antlers.

It's mate...

"Well, I doubt we'll have any security issues with two Leshens guarding the facility." Xavier joked to break the tension, though, in all honestly... was he even joking?

What fool would dare to breach the Leshen's domain to harm those within its care?

Slowly, everyone dispersed as Deprived with their personal guards were slowly guided towards a new home of their choosing.

The families that were already living at the Sanctuary, were keeping to themselves, smiling with understanding. Xavier had informed them all of the move, had explained in detail the benefits for the Deprived, both the current and any new arrivals.

Plus, with the help of Joseph, Elijah and Serena, the Deprived that had already moved into the Sanctuary would get additional help in their recovery process.

Now it was all up to the Deprived, to take those agonizingly slow and painful steps forwards. One step at the time until they recovered.

Even still, Xavier knew all too well that the Deprived would never truly get better. Not unless they found the confidence within themselves to reach out, to put their trust into another person once more.

To cherish the bond with their fated mate...and let it go. It seemed impossible, painful to even think about. But from Xavier's experience, from what he had seen happen with his own eyes, it had happened before.

Where a Deprived had crept out of their shell, a fragment of their former self. And as the boy had slowly made his way to recovery, he had undeniably fallen in love with one of his personal guards.

It had taken a lot of time and even more patience, but Xavier knew that Desmund and Vanessa had forged their own, unique bond with one another.

Not exactly like a fated mating bond, but powerful nonetheless. Perhaps even more so, as they hadn't been destined to pair up.

Xavier already anticipated that, even if the Deprived may not fall in love with any of the staff, they could bond with one another. Hell, perhaps the Leshens were capable of sensing whom would be a perfect fit, could aid in the process.

All he could do, was hope and pray for a miracle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.4K 1K 37
"αžŸαžΌαž˜αžšαž„αž…αžΆαŸ†αž”αž„αž–αž½αž€αž™αžΎαž„αž“αž·αž„αž”αžΆαž“αžšαžŸαŸ‹αž“αŸ…αž‡αž»αŸ†αž‚αŸ’αž“αžΆαžœαž·αž‰αž“αŸ…αžαŸ’αž„αŸƒαžŽαžΆαž˜αž½αž™" αž˜αžΈαž“ αž™αŸ‰αž»αž“αž αŸ’αž‚αžΈ πŸ–€ αž•αžΆαž€ αž‡αžΈαž˜αžΈαž“
49.8K 2.2K 29
"I'm giving you the chance if you can escape, if I didn't find you then you're free but then if I find you, you're forever trapped here in my world...
45.8K 1.4K 199
[ C O M P L E T E ] What would you do if your planet ceased to exist after a nap? Once upon a time, there was a princess... Scrap that. Once upon a...
2.3M 84.9K 48
"What are you doing here?" I gulped at the hoarse voice. Instead of replying, I stared at Maria's corpse lying on the floor. "You smell so sweet." I...