To Where It All Began ✔

By nityanetra

❤️WINNER OF WATTPAD INDIA AWARDS 2020 (BOTH JUDGES CHOICE AND POPULAR CHOICE IN MYSTERY/THRILLER GENRE)❤️ A S... More

Wattpad India Awards 2020
PROLOGUE
1. The Beginning of the End...Or a New Beginning
2. The Dangerous Encounter...
3. The One Who Saves Her...
4. Lies That Build Are Better Than Truths That Destroy...
5. Past Truth, Present Lies...How Long Will They Last??
6. I Have No Option But To Trust You...
7. A Small Step To The Truth Behind...
8. The Trail She Left Behind...
9. The Dead End...
10. Sound Of Death...Again...
11. The End Of the Dead End...
12. The One Whom He Already Knew...
13. The One Who Knows Everything...
14. The Lost And Found Relation...
15. His First Love, Her Death, My Fate, And Our Destiny...
16. The New Problem...
17. More Troubles On The Way...
18. The Ordeal Continues...
19. Her Realisation...
20. The Old Article...
21. The Whistleblower...
22. The Truth Of The Past...
23. The Unknown Skeleton...
24. Who's Behind Him...?
25. Mistakes Of The Present...
26. Has The Castle Started Breaking...
27. Blood Against Blood...
28. An Unexpected Event...
29. The Real Culprit...
30. What Happened That Night?
31. The Connection Of All Things...
32. They Had Met Before...
EPILOGUE
34. BONUS CHAPTER II: AM I HONEST TO MYSELF?
35. BONUS CHAPTER III: QUESTIONING HIS OWN REALISATION
36. BONUS CHAPTER IV: FEW MORE PROBLEMS
37. BONUS CHAPTER V: WILL HIS DILEMMA RESOLVE?
38. BONUS CHAPTER VI: LET'S BEGIN AGAIN

33. BONUS CHAPTER I: TIME FLIES

2K 198 43
By nityanetra

As he sat on the business class private chamber of his flight, he unfurled the letter given to him by Saket and started reading the contents... It made his eyes swell a little while his lips arched into a tiny smile and finally read the question asked at the end of the letter, "What is the most cherishable childhood memory of yours?"

He started recalling and thinking... And unknowingly fell asleep. His eyes woke up lazily after around five hours and he again began pondering the answer to the question and ultimately got the answer.

On reaching London on Sunday evening, he got so busy that he couldn't send his reply. Finally, on Monday evening he wrote his reply via a WhatsApp message, "Hope you are doing fine. I have reached London... Sorry, I couldn't reply to you immediately. Thanks for your letter. About that question, the most cherishable moment were the days of my school when my mother used to come during recess time and feed me with her own hands. The tiffin she used to prepare had that amazing taste... Sometimes Puran Poli, Poha, Kothimbir Vadi. After she left me, I could never enjoy my tiffin that way. Most of the time, I used to give it away to my friends. And my question to you is, "What is the one thing in childhood that you wanted badly but couldn't get?"

Though the message had reached her at midnight, she saw it the next morning when she was getting ready to join the hospital after such a long time. She too couldn't reply immediately and finally got time on Wednesday during the early morning hours after completing her twenty-seven-hour long shift and finally replied, "I am finally in Bangalore back to my normal life... Thanks for answering the question and also asking one to me. There was an amusement park in Lonavala in those days. I wanted to go and sit on each of the rides here... carousel, Ferris wheel, bumper boats, and water rides too. The ticket for one person was around a hundred rupees. Maa could afford one for me if I would have forced her, but what about my other friends at the orphanage? She would never leave them behind and take only me to the park. The total cost for taking fifty children there would have been around five thousand rupees, the price of almost half a month's grocery, so I never told her that I wanted to go there. Here is my question, What is the one thing in childhood that you wanted to do but couldn't do?"

The series of questions and replies continued and somehow unknowingly a day was set for the replies. Amna used to send her reply with a question on Wednesday and he used to reply either on Saturday or Sunday with his question, the days he was a little free from his work.

Apart from these messages, there were some casual ones too, a few phone calls and on rare occasions, even a video call. They could have been more frequent but the time gap between London and India was a barrier. Plus their work schedules didn't match at all.

Shreekant|Amna ^^ 

"I wanted to meet someone again... I was around five years or so. She was roughly my mother's age... She was the one who told me that people become angels when they die and those angels are visible to humans as stars. I don't remember her face or anything apart from her words. I met on the last day of my school before summer or winter vacation... Again I don't remember... But I searched for her around the school a couple of times but she was never seen again. She was the first crush of the little Shreekant. I still want to meet her and thank her sincerely. Question for you, Who was your first crush?"

"Lee Min Ho... He is a South Korean actor. The day I saw him in Boys over flowers, I decided that I would one day marry him. He was perfect in every aspect. With time, he became more and more handsome... Heirs, Legend of the blue sea, and the latest one King the eternal Monarch... 🙈🙈 Question for you, What is your biggest fear?"^^

 "My biggest fear is that my loved ones will one day leave me and go somewhere, what's yours?"

"Similar to yours, I fear abandonment. When I was small, I would sometimes think that my parents abandoned me because I was unwanted. Question for you, What is the one thing you hate in people?^^

"Masks... I hate the people who wear masks pretending to be somebody when they are not. Question for you, Where did you learn the art of lying? You lie very proficiently" 

"I don't know, it's my inborn quality, but I noticed something... You are a very bad liar... You should take some classes from me. Question for you, What were your hobbies growing up?"^^

"I liked music a lot... I wanted to be a violinist. Apart from that, I liked Marvel characters' comic books a lot. I still have some action figures. Question for you, What did you do with your first salary?"

"Wow... I too love music. Some of my favourite western pieces are Beethoven's symphony and Brahm's Moonlight sonata. Among eastern singers, my favourite pair are Udit Narayan and Alka Yagnik. Coming to the salary part, I bought books, clothes, toys, and lots of fast food for the children at my orphanage. Also, a nice dress for Jaya. I also brought a few medical books and brought a lot of fresh fish. I fried them and ate till I was full. Rest went in rent, water, electricity, and some savings. Question for you, What are some of your favourite movies?" ^^

This continued for a long time and with every new message, they were coming a few inches closer. They sometimes used to wait impatiently for each other's messages and every time they read it, their faces used to arch a beautiful smile. They had opened the locked gate of that closed corner in each other's heart, where a very few people had managed to get into...

*************

Three years and eight months had passed since Shreekant and Saket had left for London. The businesses owned by Mhatre Group in London climbed new heights of success and they were finally able to revamp their entry into the Pharma Industry, as YM Pharmaceuticals... ROYMHA was long gone. Mishka did an incredible job, in managing the company's assets in India and simultaneously taking a divorce from her noxious marriage with Mahesh Roy. 

Parimal, Daksh, and Yadav got a life imprisonment sentence from the Supreme Court of India while Anant Mhatre was given a sentence of fourteen years. Anant had requested the jail authorities that he didn't want to meet any of his family members till his term was completed. He was trying to punish himself for all the wrong deeds he had done. RAW and Interpol initiated a joint investigation and Simon Jacob was finally caught from Nigeria.

Parimal tried to commit suicide multiple times in jail, but every time he was saved. The person who declared death sentence for many was now struggling to die in his own hands. Daksh still has no guilt for what he did and his anger management issues got worse with time. He used to get himself in frequent brawls with other inmates and was in an isolated cell most of the time.

Mahesh although was requited for domestic violence charges, ultimately couldn't manage Roy Industries alone and took a lot of debt from multiple Indian banks and loan sharks. As the money eventually went down the drain, he ran out of the country and is still is in hiding. The immigration department has kept a warrant issued in his name, as soon as he enters India, he would be arrested.

Disha and Sarita have finally gotten over their past. Disha now works as Mishka's legal and financial advisor. Now she spies only over rival companies. Mishka is Disha's boss only in the office but outside she is a good friend. Despite being in such an honourable position, she is as humble as ever.

Our very own vicious Mrs Mhatre... oops Aruna, is now a turned leaf. The whole case had made her realize the deleterious effects of excessive greed, especially after seeing the downfall of her husband.

7:30 PM, 20th December, London

The whole of Trafalgar Street in London was itching to put on a show by filling the area with the legendary Christmas lights brightening up those dark winter nights. The cacophony and joy of the people as they were walking, donned with the finest furs and jackets was visible against the sparkling array of the lights that were bursting into colours all over the town marking the sweet hit of the festive cheer.

Shreekant stood in front of the majestic glass window of the mansion as the tiny droplets of rain were beating against it, inducing him to think about someone. He quickly took out his phone and checked if he had any notifications but there were none. It was the fourth time in the last hour he had checked his phone.

As he stood there, lost in his nostalgic overdrive, a middle-aged man came to him. Clearing his throat slightly he tried to stir Shreekant out from his lost world, "What are you gazing so intently, sir?"

He turned his face towards him and it shined against the cheerfully cracking light from the fireplace, "Nothing Ramji Uncle, just this and that... Are you here to call me for dinner? Has Saket arrived back?"

He smiled gently and with an energetic voice, he spoke, "My son, I think Saket has some good news for you finally... He is waiting for you in the dining hall, come quickly..."

"Good news? I know you won't tell me even if I ask you. It has been three years and eight months since you have been taking care of both of us, while you understand what's going on in my mind every time, I fail to do it even now" He chuckled as both of them walked across the tastefully decorated corridors.

As they reached the dining hall, Saket stood up from his chair and came running and hugged him tightly, "Bro! We are finally going to India, on 23rd December!"

Shreekant gleefully smiled, hugging him back, "What are you saying? In three days? How did this happen, I mean... This was to happen after four months, right?"

They withdrew themselves from one another while Saket replied, "Mishka just gave me a call, the investors have agreed to the proposal much quicker than excepted and we are transferring our London office back to India finally. I just can't believe it, Bro! We did it, we saved our business"

The blissful mingling of the brothers was untimely interrupted by Ramji, who said in a low sad tone, "You people are so happy to leave me here and go, I am deeply hurt... I will not talk to you both"

Both Shreekant and Saket went near him, hinted at each other, and lip-read at the same time, one... two... three and tingled Ramji near his belly and waist causing him to burst into laughter. All the three laughed at the same time when they finally stopped, Ramji blurted breathing heavily, "It's so nice to see you both like this... I still remember the day you both came here, especially Shreekant sir... And look at him now, his smile is back. Time indeed heals everything"

What Ramji told was so true... There were numerous times when he used to wake up and sob in the middle of the night. He could hear Anna's voice around him in his dreams sometimes. He worked, ate, and slept like every other person but from inside he was broke.

A lone tear trickled down his cheek and looking at him, Saket commented, "What Ramji Uncle? Why are you talking about the past? When will you stop calling us sir?  We both are absolutely fine now, right Shreekant?"

Shreekant smilingly nodded, "Uncle, although we are going back, we will miss you and Aunty the most, especially the food that she prepared for us. I will make sure that you both visit us in India. Thinking about food, how about a dinner that we all have together right now?"

Ramji smiled at the duo happily, "I will bring the dinner, you both sit down first"

A couple of minutes later, Ramji brought the food, and all of them sat together and started eating. Just then, a beep sound came from Shreekant's phone and he hurriedly took it out, keeping the spoon back into his plate momentarily.

As he rummaged through his phone, his eyes gleamed and lips arched a gentle smile. On seeing him Ramji furrowed his head, "Sir, no work during eating, eat peacefully... The food will get cold"

He budged Shreekant but he didn't stir and noticing this Saket said, "Ramji Uncle, do you know on which day of the week, Shreekant smiles like this forgetting everything around him?"

Ramji muttered while wondering to himself, "Of course, Wednesday... How can I forget? All the strange things happen on this day... He becomes so absent-minded... Although I can't remember how it all started with him, he was not like this initially...Do you remember Saket sir, how he called for the car and walked past it around a hundred meters while the driver was running behind him with the car?"

"Yes, uncle, and when he kept pouring the full bottle of ketchup on his plate as he was too busy with his phone. Also, his famous collisions... With doors, elevators, and persons" Saket and Ramji giggled heartily as they recalled everything while Shreekant cleared his throat, "Is it over for you guys? Are you happy making fun of me?"

Saket encircled his hand around Shreekant's neck and whispered, "Very happy Bro! India and London may have a time gap of five and half hours, or both may be seven oceans away but the messages never fail to come from her"

Shreekant rolled his eyes and forcefully fed him stuffing his mouth with a spoon full of food, "Only this can close your mouth" The rest of the evening went on just like that and finally Shreekant went to his room.

Striding up to his desk, he picked up a photo frame and caressed it lovingly, "Anna, I am coming back to India" He pulled out an old sheet of paper, that was carefully folded in the drawer and read it till he fell asleep.

The next few days were very hectic for both Saket and Shreekant as they had to wrap up everything. They left the mansion at 10:00 PM on the 23rd of December. The flight was an overnight one scheduled at 1:30 AM on 24th, reaching Mumbai the next morning at around 10:30 AM.

Ramji came to Heathrow Airport to bid goodbye to both of them. As he hugged Shreekant, he whispered near his ear, "Sir, your life is waiting to embrace you with open arms, make sure you embrace it back at the right time until it's too late. Don't send your happiness back, if it's knocking at your door. The painful time, you endured is long over and now it's time for you to be happy"

As he withdrew himself from Shreekant, he patted his shoulder while Saket gestured them, "Ramji Uncle, your daughter is not going to the in-law's house... Give us a bye with a smile"

After saying a hearty bye Saket murmured, "I hate parting like this... By the way bro, did you inform her that you are coming back?"

He knitted his eyebrows together, "Excuse me... You only told me not to inform Mrs Mhatre and Mishka that we are coming before the new year because you wanted to surprise them. Now if I inform her about my coming, then she will tell Disha and finally, it will reach Mishka's ears. Although Mishka will be really happy, I don't know about Mrs Mhatre." He chuckled as he pulled the handle of his luggage trolley. 

Saket laughed snapping his eyes, "She will be shocked to see you... Jokes apart her behaviour has greatly improved after what happened back but still at the end of the day she is the great drama queen of the Mhatre Family"

Both of them smiled and finally headed towards the immigration counter.

Meanwhile, in Mumbai, India, it was 3:35 AM, 24th of December(owing to the time gap between the two places, i.e of five and half hours)

It had been almost three years since Amna had permanently shifted from Bangalore. After working for seven months at Savitri Devi Hospital, she realized that she missed Mumbai because of many things, the most important being her sister's memories. She thought she could visit her sister's grave any number of times if she lived in Mumbai. Further, it was too close to Lonavala and she could meet Jaya anytime. 

She had rented a place just near Disha's home, they were next-door neighbours now. Amna who had lost a sister got Disha, who was no less than a sister for her now and Sarita had become her new mother. It was not unusual for either Disha or Amna to have sleepovers together. God had slightly compensated her with a new loving family. 

As Amna was in her deep slumber completely wrapped like a cocoon, her phone rang. With half-open eyes, she picked it up and saw the name, ER Room, and placed it over her ears, "I... I... am coming in thirty minutes"

Disconnecting the call, she ran into the washroom and changed her clothes, tieing her hair roughly with a clutcher, and ran towards the door. Taking her car key from the key stand, she hurriedly closed the door of her house and went to Disha's house which was just in front of hers.

As she stood in front of her door, she dialled her number, "Disha, I am standing in front of your door, please open it"

Seconds later, the door clicked open and Disha frowned placing her hand over her hips, "What kind of behaviour is this Amna? It's four in the morning, why are so interested in waking people up, I have got three days of Christmas holidays and I need to sleep"

"My dear Disha, sorry again, but there is an emergency in the hospital"

"You and your emergency, I understand that now you are an Associate Professor but still... And why are going? Didn't Mom tell you to take a holiday for today? There is such an important ceremony today and you are going, when will come back?

"Disha, don't get so angry and about taking a holiday, you people informed me about it yesterday evening, how could I have asked for a holiday at such short notice. I will be back on time, After all, it's my..."

Her words were interrupted by Disha, "Exactly, his family will be here at sharp 6:00 PM, you have to even get dressed up in traditional Maharashtrian clothes, you better be back before four, otherwise..."

"Okay! I will be back in time, just manage Sarita Aunty for me, and here are the keys to my house. Give it to the decorators when they come and see everything happens properly, otherwise, what will the groom's family think?" She placed the keys in Disha's hand.

"What do you mean by that? They are getting such a smart, intelligent, and independent girl just because of their good deeds of past life" Disha chuckled as she placed her hand slantingly over the door.

Amna widened her eyes exhaling deeply, "I have to go now... Bye," she hastily left in her car while Disha politely bid her goodbye closing the door of her house.

 11:00 AM, 24th December, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport

"I missed you Mumbai" Saket announced as he felt the warm sunny rays as they both stood at the arrival terminal waiting for a taxi.

Shreekant frowned, "Had you told Mishka, that we were coming today, we wouldn't have been standing here like this... You and your antics, they are never going to change"

"Chill bro! The taxi will come, just enjoy the air of Mumbai." Shreekant smiled as he shifted his head left and right and saw the number plate of the vehicle approaching them, "Look Saket, my taxi has come... I am going"

He strode towards the taxi while Saket screamed, "What do mean by my taxi? Are we not going together?"

"No, I had booked two taxis, I will be going in this one, you come in the taxi which is behind. Take my luggage to Mhatre Niwas, I will back by lunchtime" He chuckled as he sat in the car.

Saket heaved a sigh and wondered, "Am I his porter? I know exactly where he went." The driver of the other taxi helped him transfer the luggage and he finally headed for Mhatre Niwas.

*********

The driver of the car in which Shreekant was travelling stammeringly asked, "Sir, are you sure the address you gave me is correct?"

Shreekant grinned, "Yes, it's correct... I will stay for around ten to twenty minutes there and then we will head for my home. By the way, can you stop the car near any bouquet shop?"

"Sure sir, there is a big one just at the end of this road"

Mumbai Traffic was and always be world-famous, fully congested streets with state tourist buses, heavy licensed vehicles, and numerous autorickshaws. As he looked out through the window of his car, he would see the hustle and bustle of hundreds walking, bazaars of street-side vendors selling the famous vada pav and he murmured to himself, "Mumbai is just the same" 

 The car finally halted at its destination and he paced out in quick succession towards it. As he was about to enter the place he glanced up to look at the board sign, "St. Agnes Burial Ground"

Since the day, Anna passed away he had visited this place only three times, first, on the day Anna was getting buried, second with Amna, and third on the day he left for London. This place had stored a very painful memory of his, but this time he was neither sad nor sacred. The cold harsh winter or the scorching summer of his life had passed away, when and how he didn't know... It was all spring for him now.

He went to the grave where Anna was buried and found the following letters engraved on it, "From the people who loved and cherished you". A rectangular glass-enclosed casing was built over the headstone of the grave which contained few photographs of Anna, one with Shreekant, one with her adopted parents, the old photo with her biological parents, and the rest with some members of the Mhatre Family.

He gently smiled, "See, how much she adores you... I had seen this via the video call but it looks much more beautiful. Do you know what she told me when I asked her the reason for doing this? She said that you might be feeling lonely"

He closed his eyes tightly and placed his hand over the left side of the chest, within a few seconds he started smiling. His smiling continued for a few more minutes till he finally opened his eyes, "She was right. I don't know how and when my memories changed from the painful ones to the happy ones. I had promised you that I will take good care of her but she was the one who took my care. Still, I tried to do my best for her"

"I have earned a very good friend, Anna. I wish you see the success of your sister. I have talked to you millions of times seeing your photo but standing here feels different and if that day I had not crossed the boundary of my fear, I think I would have never been able to stand here like this. Even if I thank your sister, it's not enough. She is very different from you in almost everything but very alike too... I know you are seeing me from somewhere"

He then placed the bouquet of her favourite yellow roses and walked away smilingly towards the car.

1:15 PM, Mhatre Niwas, Mumbai

Shreekant reached his house after a long gap and as he entered he saw Aruna, Saket, and Mishka sitting around the sofa, chatting and giggling. On seeing Shreekant, Mishka rushed towards him, "Bro! I am also happy to see you" 

They hugged each other tightly and Shreekant gently whispered, "How is my Madam Chairman?"

She replied in a robotic voice, "Very fine Mr Shreekant Mhatre. I hope we all continue to work like this together for the progress of the Mhatre group and YM pharmaceuticals"

Both of them laughed loudly while Saket commented with a quarrelsome face, "Bro! I received a complaint from the workers of our company, they are saying that Mishka Ma'am is torturing and loading them with work and only work"

Mishka gave a strong pat on Saket's shoulders and smacked him on his head, "You have a problem with everything I do and for your kind information this Madam Chairman has given a holiday of full three days to all the employees and herself is working even on the holidays, including Sundays... You both are joining office on Tuesday sharp at nine"

"Mom, look at her she is now bullying us also" Saket complained like a whining baby. Aruna chuckled, turned her head towards Shreekant, and said in a calm voice, "Good to see that you are back"

"Thank you, Mrs Mhatre. Good to see you" He walked towards her while she replied in a soft tone, "You children have shown me the reality of life, I have no grudges against anyone and I sincerely hope all my children prosper in life. I have made many mistakes and don't wish to make another one. After all, the sins of the present have to be paid in the present only"

Before Shreekant could say anything, Saket said in a loud voice, "Wow, my mother India... I wish I could see more of this, Aruna Irani changing into Nirupa Roy"

"Don't worry bro, you will see and know a lot of things" She encircled her arms around her mother while Saket and Shreekant exchanged gleeful glances at each other.

"You people will only waste time, come let's have lunch together" Aruna ordered, and they all nodded.

As they sat at the dining table to have lunch, Mishka blurted, "This year we are hosting a special New Year Party, as usual, the funds from the charity collected on that day will go to Anna Mhatre Foundation"

Saket turned towards her thrusting the morsel of food in his mouth, "And Mishka how did you manage to do all the work?"

"Bro! All thanks to mom, she is the one who has been taking care of it. From medical camps to blood donations, organ donation, funding for surgeries, and all sorts of relief, our foundation has not only left a mark on Maharashtra but also many other states. Plus Amna was all the time ready to volunteer with her team of colleagues."

Shreekant smiled and looked at Aruna, "Thanks, Mrs Mhatre..."

"Bro... Don't you have to meet someone today? You wanted to give some surprise, right? I already told Mishka and mom that you will be very busy after coming to India" He said teasingly while Shreekant leaned his head forward biting his lower lip and said, "You are speaking too much nowadays"

With his mouth still stuffed with food, Saket whispered in Mishka's ears, "Did he finally propose to you? Have you told mom about it?"

She gritted her teeth and whispered back, "Nothing stays in your stomach, right? God knows in which bad moment, it slipped out of my mouth. I will tell mom and Shreekant bro when the time comes and you better be careful with that mouth of yours" She pinched him on his arm and he winced in slight pain, "Okay... Okay"

After the amazing get-together and lunch with his family, Shreekant went to his room and unpacked his things and thought to himself, "This room which we used to share, felt like a prison to me after you were gone. It seemed like four-walled seclusion as if I was living in a dark and haunted house. But now the same room is so precious to me with all our memories."

Taking his phone out he thought to himself, "I will give her a message, that I will be visiting her home in the evening. There are chances she might be at the ER, so I will inform her. She will inform me back immediately if she is busy. "

Taking a short nap and then a quick bath, he wore a white-coloured shirt and dark blue trousers. He then opened one of the packets he had brought from London and placed it carefully in a paper bag and went out of his room.

He knew that Amna had shifted just next to Disha's house and drove towards his destination in great anticipation.

A/N:

Shreekant and Amna are meeting after such a long time, what do you think is going to happen?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 1.2K 1
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝟏 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 '𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐢𝐭𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐑𝐨𝐲𝐚𝐥𝐬' 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ★✯★ "Secrets are lethal, especially when they come dripped in murder." Trinity...
157K 12.9K 74
#1 in twistsandturns on 29/09/23 𝑨𝒀𝑬𝑺𝑯𝑨 𝑨𝑮𝑵𝑰𝑯𝑶𝑻𝑹𝑰 an Advocate. Fierce. Powerful. Intelligent. Beautiful. Gorgeous. Selfless? No, she's...
27.3K 2.3K 38
"Inaaya," he calls out, a certain urgency underlying in his tone. "Don't ever fall in love with me." She doesn't say as a moment passes between them...
32.4K 3.3K 39
EVERYTHING IS A CHARADE AND FOREVER IS A LIE. The prettiest smiles hide the darkest secrets. Love was not her plan, neither was choosing a life full...