𝑺𝒖𝒓𝒗𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑫�...

By Ashpoint

ᶜᵒᵐᵖˡᵉᵗᵉᵈ A world where the dead go after the living is all he has ever known. Living with the rest of his fa... More

Introduction:
Prologue:
Chapter 1: Medication
Chapter 2: Aboveground
Chapter 3: No Room for Mistakes
Chapter 4: To Tell the Truth
Chapter 5: Discovery
Chapter 6: Things to Come
Chapter 7: What Never Left
Chapter 8: The Unknown
Chapter 9: Snowflake
Chapter 10: Bambi
Chapter 11: Unplanned
Chapter 12: Amends
Chapter 13: Guilt
Chapter 14: Surprise, Surprise
Chapter 15: The Truth Hurts
Chapter 16: Bittersweet
Chapter 17: Same World, New Hope
Chapter 18: First Impressions
Chapter 19: Prey
Chapter 20: Left Behind
Chapter 21: The Lurking
Chapter 22: Not Alone
Chapter 23: Missing
Chapter 24: A Purpose
Chapter 25: Grey Skies Ahead
Chapter 26: Brace Yourself
Chapter 27: Hope
Chapter 28: Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 29: Beyond the Farmhouse
Chapter 30: Trust
Chapter 32: Warnings
Chapter 33: Hope, Where'd You Go?
Chapter 34: The Ones Who Got Away
Chapter 35: Hero of Today
Chapter 36: The Aftermath
Chapter 37: All or Nothing
Chapter 38: The End
Chapter 39: She's Here
Chapter 40: Confessions
Chapter 41: New Way of Life
Chapter 42: Confrontation
Chapter 43: Safe and Bound
Chapter 44: Behind the Scenes
Chapter 45: One More Tomorrow
Chapter 46: The Moment of Truth
Epilogue
Other Works

Chapter 31: A Revelation

113 34 202
By Ashpoint

Hurt. And rage. It drew over his face and never left. Fists at his sides, he couldn't resist it any longer and threw them at the man. Over and over. Nothing could stop him; not when they called his name, not when he was grabbed at, and not when a gun went off.

Nothing could.

"How could you?!" he roared. "Dad should still be here!"

"I'm not a monster like they are!" Galant said, shielding himself. "I'm proving it to you right now by not hitting back."

"You're one of them. You don't get to say you're innocent." Forest struggled out of a pair of hands. "Don't you dare."

Careering back, the man shook his head slowly. "I never harmed a living being. Not on purpose. I get zombies and that's all!"

"Your people released those walkers and cougars into the wild. And you just watched," the boy said, his eyes resembling fire. "That makes you just as much of a criminal as they are." With a grunt, he tried escaping the grip once more. But failed. "Let go of me!"

"No."

Was that...? Looking up, he found that it was. "Autumn?" His words were venom. "How could you?!"

"What happened... happened. We can't change anything," she said, unable to keep her voice steady. "Either way, the person in front of you isn't responsible, but we're headed to the ones that are. It's up to you if we get there."

"Let go of me," Forest demanded, "now." When she didn't, he showed his teeth. "Now."

"Not until you show me you can control yourself." Autumn loosened her grasp. "Can I trust you?"

He nodded, but not without glaring at Galant. "Yes. Now let me go."

She studied him for a moment. "Okay." Freeing him, she swallowed hard. "Okay."

Straightening up, he flashed his sister a scowl before facing Galant. "This isn't over." And it wasn't; it couldn't be.

"Galant?" Winter piped up, her eyes boring into his. "From now on, whenever I look at you I'll see blood. His death is on your hands. That's on you."

When they resumed their walk, the air was cold and distant. Even more so than before. Questions whirled in everyone's minds, yet none spoke up. Otherwise, another fight could begin.

One step after the other.

As he pressed on, the boy wouldn't allow himself to look at Galant. It'd be too painful. Instead, he focused on the ground ahead. As for Winter, however, she didn't have the might; or maybe she just didn't care. Her eyes were burning holes in him, and it was clear the man knew too well.

This would go on for many more hours.

Feet dragging, Forest had lost his energy long ago, as did the others. Still, none said a word. How long ago they had begun, he had no idea. But he did know this: there was still plenty of earth to cover. 

"What could they have possibly taken?" Jett asked, finally voicing his thoughts. "It must have been pretty valuable to kill someone over."

Forest stiffened at the question. He was right; buried near the farmhouse must have been something those people treasured. Right?

"We were working on a cure. That's what they took from us. So," Galant said, throwing the man a glance, "you can see why they want it so bad."

"A cure?" Jett cried. "Does... it work?" 

Everyone came to a halt, all eyes on Galant. 

With a sigh, Galant turned around. "Does it work? It did, but some believe it to be poisoned." 

"Is that why you only told us now?" Skylar questioned, frowning. "Not once did you attempt saying this before! You could have at least tried looking, but you didn't."

The man shifted, uneasy. "I'm one of those who think it was. The last couple of times it was given, the infected had seizures and died anyway. I'm pretty sure I know who did it too." He squinted at them all. "I wouldn't want my worst enemy to take that trash. They were better off being shot in the head."

Everyone was at a loss for words. 

"For all I know, maybe Lane, Ryan, and Kimberly were trying to save my people. Maybe they thought likewise to myself." He paused. "They didn't deserve being murdered. They really didn't." Galant stared at the ground, grimacing. "Well, we best get going again."

"You know," Forest said, searching his eyes, "you were joking and stuff yesterday. What changed?"

"Skylar pulled her gun on me. Again. I've finally realized it's of no use befriending you people. You all have trust issues."

"Your people are worse," Winter mumbled. 

"And..." Galant said, trailing off. "I may be bipolar." 

Disbelief flickered across everyone's face, but they immediately recovered. At this, the man waved them off, clearly not amused. When they began walking once more, it was in silence, all lost in their own thoughts.

And that was when a certain sound caught their attention. They froze, only to hear it again: a roar. It was coming from close behind them, the creature hidden from view. No words needed to said; they all knew it to be a cougar.

The boy gripped his knife as he watched for the monster. He had to make it, or die trying. The people that killed his father were out there, and he needed revenge. "See anything?"

They remained quiet.

The atmosphere was just too still; too eerie. Though he hated it to no end, Forest prayed that it would stay. If it be interrupted, more than likely it'd happen because something went wrong. Like the creature lunging forward.

Then another concern came to mind: it might not be alone, just like at the farm all those weeks ago. Though the boy had expected this to happen, he was still more than alarmed. As were they all, except Galant.

"I... I don't see it," Forest whispered, sparing none a glance. "Do you guys?"

"Just wait," Galant said. The words flowed from his tongue. "I've got fast reflexes, so I'll get it."

Skylar gave him a pointed stare. "You seem... confident."

"How else do you think I got to that farmhouse by myself?" He scoffed. "You all underestimated me."

"I underestimated the man who entered our home last night. You're not the same person," she said, eyeing him. "You're bipolar, so that explains why. But who are you really? The man I knew yesterday or today?"

"You're trusting me now, Sky. You trust that I'll get that cougar." Galant's gaze never left the woodlands. "You sure trust this me."

The woman set her jaw and looked around for the creature. "You interest me. I like this you better."

He chuckled lightly. "Soon I'll be the person you don't like."

"Which one are you really?"

"Skylar, stop talking to him!" Winter said harshly. "We're in a situation, remember?"

She huffed, but nodded. 

Once again, silence overcame the scene. It would last for a few moments before they heard it. Low and angry, another roar struck their ears. And that was when it happened. Hurling itself forward, it went right for one of their own: Autumn. 

No. Please, no. 

Forest wasted no time. Darting to her, he was ready to jab the creature with his knife. It already had a hold of her arm. Upon reaching it, however, he soon realized that there was a different hero. Galant. His knife was engraved in the monster's head. With a thud, it fell to the ground. 

"Thank you!" she cried, cradling her arm. "I-I had dropped my knife." More than a little blood dripped from the wound, and it'd no doubt stain her hand red. But that was the least of their worries. "Thank you!"

"Don't mention it," he said, frowning at her arm. "I have some bandages and garlic. Don't want an infection."

"You really are interesting. Garlic?" Skylar asked, watching him dig throughout his bag. 

"Yeah, I carry that."

"We haven't grown that in years."

Instead of responding, he turned to Autumn. "Alright, this is going to sting. Just know it's necessary. Okay?"

She nodded and reluctantly revealed the wound. 

Galant gave her a moment before dripping the liquid. When she hissed, he paid her no mind. With all said and done, he took a breath and met her eyes. "Let's get going."

Though she was still in pain, Autumn collected herself. "Yeah."

Forest shifted on his feet, uneasy. Perhaps Galant wasn't so bad. After all, his people were the ones that had murdered his father; not him. This man was different. 

"You okay?" the boy asked, offering her a small smile. 

She met his eyes with hesitant ones. "Yeah, it'll heal, I'm sure."

"I may have been bit by a dog, but I think I am familiar with your pain." He gave her a light nudge. "You were right," he whispered. 

"About what?"

"Galant is innocent. He's earned my trust. And... I think he has finally earned Skylar's too."

"Well, she's okay with the serious side of him; not the funny one."

"True," Forest said, nodding. "I-I think she might like him, though. She kept saying that he was interesting and stuff."

Autumn looked at him, puzzled, then put a finger to her lips. "She might hear you!"

"I'm being quiet!" With a light laugh, the boy gave them each a glance. "Do you not agree?"

"I don't know, brother. I don't know."

Forest waved her off. "I could have sworn her eyes were dilated." When she sighed, he shook his head. "I'm just saying."

Autumn straightened up after a moment. "On a different note, I gathered some berries." She took off her backpack and searched for them, determined. "I know they're in here somewhere."

"I'm not hungry-"

"Found them!" She pulled out a plastic bag that contained a few dozen berries; all of which were red. "These are called currants."

"Currants? You sure? Those are normally black." She held out a handful and he accepted them, skeptical. "Have you eaten any yet?"

"They can be red too, and no, not yet." Without another word, she threw one into her mouth. And then another. "They're harmless."

"If you say so." After the first berry, he couldn't help but have another. "These are pretty good, actually."

"Can I have some?" Winter asked, rubbing her stomach. "I should have collected some, but I didn't." 

Smiling kindly, her twin trotted up to her, then sprinkled some into her palm. 

"Thanks," she said, already shoving them into her mouth. 

When Autumn returned to her brother, his eyes fell onto Jade. "Maybe she wants some." Leaving no room for a reply, he scampered over to the woman and gave her what he had left. 

"I appreciate it, dear." 

-

A few moments passed before Forest let out a moan, hand over mouth. "I don't feel so well." He dragged his feet, eyes droopy. 

"Well, we've been walking a while," Autumn said back, equally as out of it. "I... I don't think I can go on much longer."

It was then that their uncle appeared beside Autumn. "Can I see those?" Upon receiving a few, the man studied them for a good minute. "What do you think these are?"

"I... I don't know," Forest mumbled, struggling to speak. "Jett, I think I something's wrong."

"No wonder!" he exclaimed, blocking his way. "These are Holly!"

"Holly?" the boy questioned, looking around wildly. "Where is she?!"

"No, not her. It's a type of berry." He crouched before him and shook his shoulders, more than concerned. "It's toxic."

Forest met his eyes, suddenly confused. "Toxic?"

"Yes," he answered, "how many did you eat?" 

"I don't remember." He stared at him blankly. "Why?"

"They're toxic!" And that was when his uncle heard someone drop. "Autumn!" 

The boy watched his uncle drop to his knees and tap the side of her face, desperate. "Guys, who ate the berries?" No one said a word. "Who?!"

Black spots began to dance in front of him. Forest rubbed his eyes but it was of no use. "Help, I c-can't see," he croaked, no longer able to carry himself. The boy was out cold before he hit the ground. 

Hey there! If you've got any criticism of any kind, please let me know. I'd love to answer your questions, as well. 

Anyhow, thank you to anyone that has made it this far! I hope you're doing well and God bless <33

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

391K 19.7K 36
When you are infected with the virus, there are four stages. 1) Your fever will shoot up and everything will become intensified on a maximum level. Y...
323 20 8
We've officially given up on this story and are moving onto another idea Thank you for the support and we hope you'll read the next story we're creat...
2.6K 207 62
Em Harrison has another chance at life, but she isn't out of the woods yet. A new group rises from the ashes of society with one thing on their mind...
7.7K 1.1K 34
As a scout for what remains of the government in a post-outbreak world, Merryn is sent to investigate an old naval supply depot in a nearby city but...