An Unexpected Journey

By Shadowfax224

The first in an eight part series. After training with Gandalf for seven years, Noelle Smith has finally got... More

Prologue
Chapter 1- Wednesday Morning
Chapter 2- Unexpected Timing
Chapter 3- An Unexpected Party
Chapter 4- Meeting the Dwarves
Chapter 5- Thorin Oakenshield
Chapter 6- The Adventure Begins
Chapter 7- Gandalf Disappears
Chapter 8- Trolls
Chapter 9- Warg-scouts
Chapter 10- Rivendell
Chapter 11- Misty Mountain Pass
Chapter 12- Bones Will Be Shattered
Chapter 13- Azog the Defiler
Chapter 14- Of Bees, Horses, and Bears
Chapter 15- The Darkness of Mirkwood
Chapter 16- Captured
Chapter 17- Legolas Greenleaf
Chapter 19- Barrels Out of Bond
Chapter 20- Lake-town
Chapter 21- Thrice Welcome
Chapter 22- Durin's Day
Chapter 23- Our Only Chance
Chapter 24- What Have We Done?
Chapter 25- Beyond Sorrow and Grief
Chapter 26- The Arkenstone
Chapter 27- Thief in the Night
Chapter 28- Only the Beginning
Chapter 29- Peace or War?
Chapter 30- Let's Make It Worth It
Chapter 31- The Darkest Hour
Chapter 32- Save Them
Chapter 33- Not Going Back
Chapter 34- This Last Goodbye
Book 2

Chapter 18- The Plan

187 5 0
By Shadowfax224

Legolas had agreed to help them on one condition- that Noelle wouldn't tell anyone. However, one person who was going to need to know was Bilbo. For an escape plan to work, Bilbo had to be involved. Noelle told Legolas that they actually already had an inside man on the job, and he agreed to let her tell Bilbo about him.

Noelle was escorted back to her cell by an elf-guard.

"So what did the prince want with you again?" Thorin asked suspiciously. "What did you tell him?"

"Nothing he doesn't already know," she answered. Thorin couldn't get mad about that. The king already knew about their whole quest.

"Then why does he keep questioning you? Does he fancy you?" Thorin asked with a teasing smirk.

"What! No!" Noelle glared at him. "I don't know why he keeps bothering me!"

She slumped down in her cell, still mad at Thorin. Before long, she could sense that Bilbo was nearby.

"Psst! Bilbo!" she whispered. Bilbo came over. She couldn't see him, but she could hear him. She told him about Legolas.

Bilbo was uncertain. "You sure we can trust him?"

"He might be our best chance of escape if we have his help. He doesn't want anyone to know though, he might get in trouble. And he's the king's son!" she added.

"I know which one you're talking about. The blonde one?"

"Yep. If you go find him, maybe he'll let me out and we can start making a plan," Noelle suggested.

Bilbo still seemed a little uneasy, but he agreed. Not long after he was gone, an elf-guard came back in his place.

In the room with Legolas, Bilbo was visible. He jumped out of the corner when the elf-guard left. "A halfling?" Legolas asked her. "Your Company has the strangest companions."

Bilbo gave an awkward laugh. "What's our plan for getting out of here? Any ideas?"

Legolas shook his head. "The only way in and out of this cavern is the gate, and you need to escape unseen."

"Our cells are out in the open. That's going to be next to impossible," Noelle said. "There's guards everywhere."

"I wish to help you," said Legolas. "But the best I'll be able to do for you is a distraction."

Bilbo looked thoughtful. "All of the guards are going to need to be distracted," he said.

"The only times when most of the guards aren't in the palace are either when there's a significant attack, or if there's a feast," said Legolas.

Chances of the Orcs attacking the palace were slim to none. They weren't stupid enough to attack the Elves, but the Company couldn't wait for chance.

"When's the next feast?" Noelle asked.

"The Feast of Starlight," Legolas offered. "It's about two weeks away."

Noelle and Bilbo glanced at each other. Two weeks was awhile. They needed to reach the Mountain as soon as possible, and it wasn't really their call to make as to when they left. But in this case it was. This was their plan, and Thorin couldn't know all the details. So it was Noelle and Bilbo's call.

"Two weeks is going to have to do. On the bright side, it gives us more time to figure out a plan," Noelle said.

They agreed to meet again when they had actually had an idea. Noelle didn't want Thorin and the other dwarves to get suspicious. She had the feeling Thorin already was, even though he made light of it. So for the next two weeks, Bilbo used his time to snoop around trying to find another exit. Most of this really relied upon him.

Legolas was going to help, but there wasn't much he could do without other people figuring out it was him. Noelle spent her time chatting with Bern and the dwarves, and waiting-and hoping- that Bilbo or Legolas would come up with something before the Feast of Starlight.

Then there was also the red-head girl. She was getting uncomfortably close to Kili, Bilbo had told her. Thorin would probably be furious if he found out about that, Noelle mused. However, Bilbo had reassured Noelle that he was pretty sure the auburn elf didn't know anything.

Two nights before the Feast, Noelle had just finished her dinner, which was basically soup and a roll, when she heard Bilbo's voice at her door. "I finally have a plan!" he whispered excitedly.

Apparently there was another, less-obvious way out of the palace. The wine cellar. The Elves had barrels upon barrels of wine, and when they were empty, they were sent down a trapdoor into a river. Bilbo wanted to put everyone into the barrels.

"Go get Legolas!" Noelle whispered. "Because there's several things you haven't thought of!"

Legolas personally let her out of the cell(most of the dwarves were fast asleep, and the lighting was dim), and they went back to their meeting-room. He seemed impressed when Bilbo told him the idea. "I didn't think of that!"

"Wait," said Noelle. "Where does the river lead? Where do the barrels go?"

"Esgaroth. You might know it as Lake-town," he replied. "The barrels are refilled and sent back to us."

Lake-town. It wasn't a name that stood out to Noelle if she had ever read about it.

"Never heard of it, but it doesn't matter. We need to leave here as soon as we can!" Noelle said. "Another thing is, we need the keys."

"Elros has the keys," said Legolas.

"I'll grab the keys from him, while you distract him," said Bilbo. Noelle had had to convince Bilbo to tell Legolas about his magic ring. There was no way Legolas couldn't know about it if they were going to work with him.

"That'll be my part of the plan. I'll distract Elros and Galion the Butler. Get them drunk. That way you'll have at least several hours to escape," Legolas said. "When they're out. I'll let you know," he said to Bilbo.

"And what do I do?" Noelle suddenly realized there was not much she could do.

"Just play along," the elf replied.

The next night, Noelle waited anxiously for the Elves to clear the palace. The dwarves didn't even seem to notice. They were lamenting about how they were never going to get out of here.

"I'll wager the sun is on the rise. It must be nearly dawn," Bofur sighed.

"We're never gonna reach the Mountain, are we?" said Ori.

"Not stuck in there you're not!" Bilbo jingled the keys. The dwarves all began cheering and clamoring. Noelle still didn't want to risk any noise. All it took was for one elf to see them. "SHHHH!!!" she said.

Bilbo unlocked Thorin's cell, then Balin's, then Noelle's, then Bern's. The dwarves were all glad to finally get out of their cramped cells, which were basically the size of a large closet.

"Not that way!" Bilbo was calling. "Down here! Follow me!"

Legolas had put Elros and Galion to sleep alright. Noelle gasped when she saw him sleeping on the table next to them! He had to be faking it. Noelle kept watching him.

"This way!" Bilbo gestured for them to follow.

"I don't believe we're in the cellars!" exclaimed Kili.

"You're supposed to be leading us out, not further in!" protested Bofur.

"I know what I'm doing-" began Bilbo.

"SHH!" Bofur interrupted.

Wonderful. The one chance they were going to have at escape, and the dwarves were being uncooperative. Noelle glanced at Legolas. He was still "asleep" on the table.

"Everyone climb into the barrels!" Bilbo whispered harshly.

"Quickly!" Noelle added.

"Are you mad!" Dwalin objected. "They'll find us!"

"No they won't! I promise you! Please, please. You must trust me!" cried Bilbo.

Noelle and Bilbo looked pleadingly at Thorin. Hopefully at least he trusted them.

"Do as he says!" Thorin commanded the dwarves. They all murmured, but got in the barrels.

Noelle headed over for a barrel, still glancing at the table. She saw that Legolas's eyes were open. She caught his gaze.

Go! he mouthed at her.

Nodding, Noelle gave him a grateful smile. She saw him smile back, and quietly leave the room. Then, she slid into a barrel with her head sticking out.

"What do we do now?" Bofur asked when they were all settled.

"Hold your breath."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.7K 2K 21
The Battle for Helm's Deep is over, but the battle for Middle Earth is about to begin. Rayel finds herself thrown from one battle and tragedy and int...
76.4K 1.9K 32
The quality is bad lol, but it was very important to young me, so no hate, pls. Nymeria just wanted a quiet life in the woods, alone. But somehow fa...
mithril By elle

Fanfiction

29.2K 843 37
Warrior. Shadow. Ruthless. The freest of hearts and sharpest of tongues. A survivor in her own right. A human girl, born of the ancient blood of NΓΊm...
4K 493 57
"Nice fighting out there. You are finally getting better." She joked. He smiled and rolled his eyes, "Thanks." She grinned, "Yah, well soon you'll...