The Makings Of a Prince | Cha...

By Toastter_Treatts

What made a prince? What was the exact moment that a prince culminated into a king? At first, Yongbok though... More

Introduction
| Prologue |
| I |
| II |
| III |
| IV |
| V |
| VI |
| VII |
| VIII |
| IX |
| X |
| XI |
| XIII |
| Epilogue |

| XII |

323 45 58
By Toastter_Treatts

"Now, seeing you fishing is completely absurd."

Were they friends? Maybe. Maybe not...

But really, if Yongbok asked himself a little over a month ago if he thought he and Seo Changbin could get along, he would laugh, slap himself and go on about his day. Changbin was just... Surely, this wasn't Seo Changbin.

The days following their return to the village, Changbin did nothing but take care of the freckled prince. Of course, he went on about his chores after checking up on the younger, though only to return every time he passed by to see if Yongbok was okay.

Yongbok would always reassure him he was fine, living and breathing now and the next time Changbin checks up on him, and the next, and so on.

It didn't stop the older from checking up on him, anyway.

While Yongbok was used to the pampering from his days at the palace, here was a little different in the way that Changbin talked and saw him. While the handmaids and eunuchs back at the palace talked to him with a such enormous distance (Yongbok doesn't exactly mean physically even though that sometimes applied), like they weren't there, even though they stood before him. Almost like mannequins with the way they talked to him—they were eunuchs and handmaids, after all. They couldn't get close to royalty without permission, even if they took care of them.

Changbin, on the other hand, even though aware of the present fact that Yongbok was the crown prince, continued to talk comfortably with him—though a little more respectful than when they first met. Like he was ever-present when talking to Yongbok, not becoming a mannequin to save himself from the wrath of the throne.

He was really putting himself out there. And even though he was rough around the edges, getting to know him more, Yongbok realized how caring he was to people he knew. Of course, Yongbok didn't know if they would ever get to the level of... something more than warm acquaintances? But he was happy with where they were now.

By the river, after long days convincing the older that he was fine and in need of sun. Changbin finally agreed that morning, especially since Yongbok was leaving the next day. Or at least Yongbok said. He was well enough to journey back to Ungjin, and there was no need to prolong his mission anymore. The king expected him. He's been away from his proper duties for far too long.

"How so?" Yongbok hums, tugging on the line.

"I mean, I could kind of see you fishing as a general. But as a prince?? There's no way in hell!"

"I'm telling you, my brother taught me."

"Who is also a damn prince, I'm assuming. Which makes no goddamn sense."

"Hey, we have hobbies too, you know," the freckled prince scoffs, successfully catching other fish. He kills it mercifully, placing it into the basket.

"Yeah, I know. But I thought it'd be... I don't know, horseback riding? Archery? Poetry? Not... fishing. That's peasant work, for people like me. Not a hobby for princes. I mean, fish are slippery, slimy, smelly. Surely, you don't want to handle that."

"It sounds like you don't enjoy fishing. If you don't want to fish, just say. I'll do it." Yongbok smiles brightly, handing the fishing rod back to the farmer. "But it's just something that always calmed me, so I didn't really care."

"Oh, no, no. Keep it," Changbin says, pushing the pole back to the younger. "I know you broke your fishing rod during the mission, and I know it's not made by someone special like your brother or someone professionally but... Keep it. At least until you get a new one."

Yongbok nods with a smile, placing the rod beside his scabbard and the basket of fish, leaning back onto his palms as he stared out onto the river. It's not the best fishing rod, but hey, at least it accommodated his size; Yongbok didn't have to lean over to stretch out the line. Besides, it was from none other than Seo Changbin.

He liked this. He liked the river, loved fishing, and staring out into the shimmering water. But Yongbok guessed he liked it even more when he had someone to spend it with. He remembers his days with Seungmin. That, even though the man was a whiny noble, was another presence in Yongbok's life he couldn't live without. Even though the younger didn't exactly like showing his affection, Yongbok could still feel that he cared.

Like the time, even though he complained about his clothing, still helped Yongbok look for his fishing rod that a fish yanked into the river.

Or the time that the younger snuck into the palace late at night despite serious repercussions just because Yongbok couldn't sleep the nights prior.

In a way, spending time with Changbin helped Yongbok appreciate his time with Seungmin a lot more. Not because the farmer was poor company, but because, maybe, Yongbok had a little more experience as to what friendship felt like.

"Would you return?" Changbin suddenly asks, his eyes never leaving the stream. "To visit or something. Or, maybe, I don't know, hunt down another group of spies."

"I don't think so." Yongbok shrugs with a huff. He could see Changbin knit his brows, but kept quiet about his thoughts. "I mean, the king only sent me out here for this one thing. And I don't really leave the capital, or the palace for that matter. But, I'll try."

"I wish there was just some other way." The farmer huffs out an amused puff of air that only deflates when it hits the younger's ears. "I really don't mind getting to know you more. Even though we didn't really get off on the right foot—"

"Then, why don't we start over?" Yongbok sits up, bright eyes wide on Changbin. He tilts his head down in a bow, Changbin breaking out into a smile. "Hello, my name is Lee Yongbok."

"We don't have to start over, I already know you. Greeting each other again does jack shit." Changbin rolls his eyes. "Besides, I think your many imperfections would only help you grow."

"Wait, does this mean I'm boring right now??"

"No—that's not what I—" 

"Aish, I can't believe you would say that to me of all people. My feelings are hurt." Yongbok slaps his hands over his chest in a mock hurt, faking a cry and a heave.

"You know what? Yes, you are boring right now," Changbin deadpans. "I'm not surprised the prince has no humor."

"You're such a stick in the mud." The freckled prince sticks his tongue out, though bursts out in a laugh with the older. "But, I have a question. Did you actually learn how to fight from fending off bandits and animals?"

"Yes and no," Changbin says. "I practiced fighting bandits and wild animals. But I actually learned from this traveling swordsman who stayed with the village for about a year and a half, long, long ago. He used to be a general who escaped from his execution for helping a friend escape. He died, though. Some hunters found his body, attacked by wolves in the forest."

"Now that you mention it, you'd make a great guard."

"You think so?" Changbin turns to Yongbok, the freckled prince nodding and nudging him with his shoulder.

"Of course. Not just because you have the skill. But you have the qualities every guard should try to have."

Changbin laughs at that, shaking his head. "I don't think I'll be a good enough guard. My job is out here, farming. Not in the army, protecting people or fighting for the monarchy."

"If you think so. But... I don't know if it's much coming from me, but you'll always be welcome in the palace if you ever decide to take the trip down to Ungjin." Yongbok turns to Changbin, the older catching his gaze. Yongbok knew his father wouldn't approve of letting a farmer onto palace grounds, or even anywhere near the capital. But to hell with rules or the hierarchy!

He needed to take a step back. Learning to be a king was too big of a dream, learning to be a prince was no better. Maybe, first, before he got too far, he needed to learn how to connect to people. Learn how he should be a better person for himself, not for the pleasure of others, but for himself. If he doesn't understand the people or himself, how could he possibly rule over them?

And the start was right here, sitting next to him, beside him. The head-strong farmer that might've—not exactly teach him, but gave him a hint as to go about things. Unlike the scholars that spouted questionable lessons that Yongbok never understood. Maybe his father was right, he wouldn't understand if he didn't experience it for himself. Maybe this wasn't actually a coup or something to get Yongbok out of the palace, but an actual lesson the king prepared for him. Though, maybe Seo Changbin and getting stabbed wasn't part of the plan. And if anything, he'll thank his father for this one thing.

What made a king? What made a prince? What made a friend? What made a person? It was all the same, really. How they all needed some sort of connection to the people around them.

"Could I... Could I do something?" Yongbok asks, leaning toward the older. Changbin stares at him but nods, the freckled prince pausing. He knew he should take risks, for that allowed new opportunities. But what if that risk only closed all opportunities? After all, that's what a risk was. He didn't know how any of it would turn out, and no matter of status or power would ever help him in a situation like this. A situation that shouldn't need or even consider any sort of play into the classes. A situation between two people that, if Yongbok thought about it, should be personal, not political or some other concerning princes or farmers.

He takes the risk though, leaning forward to press his lips against the farmer's, his eyes fluttering shut. His heart was hammering in his ears, frozen and quite unsure where to go from there. Amongst all of his inexperience, he wasn't exactly qualified for this, either. Why did he even think of such a stupid idea?

"Oh! God, that was stupid! I'm sorry—" Yongbok pulls away, Changbin staring at him with wide eyes and mouth agape. Pink dusted his face, his usually outspoken persona gone. He chokes on a word, not even getting it out as Yongbok bows furiously. That was such a stupid idea. Why, why did Yongbok do that?! This would ruin everything they've had together, even though not much, it was pretty meaningful. Or at least, Yongbok considers.

"I- I—" Changbin clears his throat, still unmoving from his spot. But he managed to bink a few times, finally finding his breath. "Oh—uhm..." His fingers found his lips, tapping them before shaking his head furiously. "It's- it's fine. Really—there's no need to apologize. You—"

Yongbok shoves the basket of fish into the older's hands, scrambling to his feet and bowing, even though he's pretty sure he tore a suture or two because of the force of his bow.

"That's for you and your family! If you excuse me, I have to look for Chan!" Yongbok almost yells, his face on fire. He didn't even allow Changbin to sputter before he's off and running back to the village.

---

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ONE MORE CHAPTER + EPILOGUE LEFT!

I'll be updating the last chapter and the epilogue on the same day, so next week will be the last week of TMOaP!! I know this ff was super short, but I just wanted to do a small story on how Felix and Changbin met al those years ago :)

ANyway, hope y'all enjoy the last chapter next week >:))

Much Love <3 Ly

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

424K 21.5K 22
Minho has a big secret, he is a vampire. He lives among humans and tries to act like one. He has many enemies because of who he is which leads to him...
110K 4.7K 62
jisung had gotten into a relationship like any other but just 2 months later, his relationship had taken a turn for the worst jisung however was blin...
18.2K 1K 38
COMPLETED -choosing the cheaterㅣstray kids- _____________ It had never been Hyunjin's intention to sleep with a stranger at a party. He had to admit...
60.7K 3.4K 71
I know that I'm a side character in his story.. He's friends with everyone and a literal sunshine He's a social butterfly & everyone likes him He'...