The Night We Came to Be

By vesperaiben

Your mind can adapt to such bizarre circumstances. It is a tool capable of extraordinary things, and in turn... More

The Night We Sat Perfectly Still
The Night We Sat, but Closer
A Night of Wishful Thinking
The Night of the Raging Whiskers
Poppy Night
Starry Night
That Night
The Night When Snakes Could Walk
The Night of the Idle Gnome
The Night of the Turtledoves
A White Knight
The Night When Pigs Could Fly
Dawn
The Night That Never Was

The Night of the Crickets

13 2 0
By vesperaiben

12/19, Night, Friday

Helene was acting especially weird today.

Something happened, for sure, but I don't know if it was because of Tuesday's experimental disaster, or how I lashed out at her during PE class, or how significantly distant I was to her all of a sudden since yesterday.

Fridays are times of significant recreation. Since Holiday Season is right around the corner, the fun to be had on Fridays, got exponentially higher.

And for Helene, her exponential increase came in the form of a treat.

Like... a treat, treat.

Basically, she treated me to... an all-you-can-chow-down buffet.

And we didn't stop and eat at one place. We went to three. I felt my feet penetrate the ground with all the weight I carried this afternoon. Maybe Helene acting weird is a big understatement. It's like she's someone entirely different.

Maybe there's hope for an 'us' after all.

I got home all smug and mighty, it's as if there's nothing that can bring me down.

Not even Ma's continuous commands.

"Darryl, the plants!" Ma yelled at the pitch of a soaring hawk.

Not gonna lie, an interruption like that in the middle of my game? An online game that can't simply be 'paused'? I'll be pissed.

I'll be super pissed.

But not today, it seems. Whenever I pat my stomach, I remember Helene, and despite our blatant disagreements and differences, there appears to be an unexpected road that can lead us to the garden of love.

I kept that in mind, as I once again braved the world of endless screams and errands.

"Unbelievable." The smile got etched onto my dumbfounded face.

I still couldn't believe how I got her to act that way. I mean, I don't remember doing any voodoo stuff? Not that I recall.

"Oh, Helene."

Helene, Helene. You wouldn't dare touch me on a normal day. But this day was special. Unique. You held my hand and roped me along as we traversed the vast ocean. The vast mall, I mean.

"The vast mall." I chuckle. "Stupid." I chuckle once more.

It hasn't bothered me that much, but the thought kept swirling in my petrified mind.

Why did she act the way she did today? Is it my doing? Is it just her? Should I even question the legality and ability of that girl to be super nice to me?

"Her? Super nice? To me?" That's odd.

That's undeniably odd. Odder than a legless otter. Odder than solid water.

Odder than...

Wait, something's missing.

I clutched the watering can with both my sweaty hands. I hadn't realized that I've gone through two extra, unnecessary laps of watering the plants.

Plants can drown, right?

"Uh oh."

And that's when it clicked.

My expectations were unclear, but I quickly turn my head towards the side, where the metal fence divided the space of the neighbors' and ours.

It's true, she was nowhere to be found.

"Huh..." I don't know if I'm sad or... what.

My job here is done, I can get back to my game, but I don't think I want to.

Laying by the tree here seems... ideal. I think I'll do that instead.

What is this feeling? Once again, this throbbing emotion came unnoticed, and vigorously began to beat against my heart.

My mind raced with fervor and tension, and although my surroundings remain undisturbed, I surely didn't feel that way.

What is this... feeling?

As if on cue, a door opened. And it wasn't ours.

Her face had peeked slowly and carefully. She walked out the door, quietly shutting it behind her.

Her walk wasn't anxious, nor was it depressing like before. She didn't seem to be in a rush either.

She just walked and sat on her favorite spot.

"...So who's this Helene? Mind sharing?" Maya said after spending five whole minutes staring out into the cosmos.

Five minutes of us saying absolutely nothing.

I was confused as all balls. "H-How'd you even...?"

"You talk when you think, y'know? It's kinda fascinating. Really gives me an edge in our little conversations." She turns away from me, though I could've sworn she winked.

She winked.

Do I really mumble like that? "Do I?"

Maya laughs warmly. "Yup."

It didn't take long for Maya to turn right at me completely, her features hindered by the metal fence dividing us.

It didn't matter, her prettiness pierces right through any obstacle.

"C'mon, c'mon! I don't got all night!" she urged me without hesitation.

I was doubtful, obviously. I mean, no matter how much Maya dazed me with her traits, I haven't the slightest clue who she really is.

Heck, I don't even see her around anywhere!

So after narrating, or monologuing, my way into her desire to listen, I shot her a question I've wondered since seeing her for the first time.

"Hey, Maya?"

"Yes, Darryl?"

"Where do you go to school?"

I can't help but feel her expression change. It's like I unknowingly shot her a dagger.

"Because uh... I've only ever seen you here, so I figured why not meet besides here?" I said, trying my best not to sound too freaky.

I continued, "There are only two schools in town, so uh... Deep Pines or Calwood?"

Flustered, she replied with, "C-Calwood!"

It's the first I'd seen her this weary.

Nonetheless, I didn't want to ruin the mood with my mindless poking. "Ah, I figured, considering I don't know any Maya at Deep Pines!"

I laugh, hoping to lighten her up.

"Maybe we could meet up sometime! Hey, I could visit you at Calwood! I got some close guys there and..."

I trailed off. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work.

"I... did I say something wrong? I-I'm terribly sorry!" I apologized.

"No, no, please, don't! Uh..."

Maya's lost in thought. Then she stands up abruptly.

"How about we continue this... tomorrow? That sounds fine, yeah?" she suggested.

Having caught off guard, I nodded.

With that, she seems relieved. Maya burps a huge sigh, then heaves, "See ya, D!"

...D? Is that supposed to be me?

Regardless, she went back inside, leaving me empty and unanswered.

I guess there's time for my game after all.

I walk back to my room, and I can't help but feel disappointed. At least just a little bit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.4K 1K 51
Some people don't understand the concept of someone's mind when they're at their worst in life. Others grasp the pain these people are in. I am one...
16.8K 297 52
Love...... The word tasted weird on my tongue Love makes a person stupid. Believe me when I say Love is blind, because I've been there before ***** "...
60.3K 2.2K 35
The exact words he threw at my face still haunts my dreams every single night and I think I'm starting to believe him. "Wish I've never met you I...
554K 12.2K 90
"This what we have is something I would call the never ending storm,there are moments where you think just because the thunder stops that it's getti...