Off the Deep End

Av walkerofthestars

A mission goes South and Robin is in the firing line from Batman- literally. In the face of Tony Zucco being... Mer

Welcome to this Mess
A Mistake
Fallout
Precipice
Rock Bottom
Adventure
A Final Shock
Trials and Tribulations
Mandatory Emotional Baggage
Bee's Nest
The Six Year Benchmark
Malina Island
Depths
Alice's Rabbit Hole
The Archimedean
Bridge
A Mountain Raid
Before the Dawn
Crossing Wires
The Fix
Complications
Meeting
Preparations
Summit
Endgame
Credit Roll

Epilogue

697 34 20
Av walkerofthestars

Wally huffed as he picked up the cardboard box, heavier than he'd expected, and started carrying it into the front yard.

"thanks, Wally," Iris called, "just set that one with the rest of the kitchen stuff."

Wally nodded and placed the box with the ten others that held objects from the kitchen. He stretched out his back when he stood, watching as Iris picked up another box and fit it into the boot of her car.

"nope, let me take that," Bart said, as she lifted another one.

"I'm fine." Iris said.

Artemis swept in to grab the box she was reaching for, "the doctor said no strenuous activity."

Iris sighed, absolutely exasperated. Wally grinned.

"has the twin thing been confirmed yet or are we still just going by Bart's word?"

"it's confirmed," Iris said, hand trailing to her belly, where she was well and truly showing, "they're saying late October, early November."

Artemis gasped, "Halloween baby?"

Wally laughed, Iris made a face, "stop fussing," she said, adamantly picking up a box to put in the car, "Wally could you go help your uncle in the guest bedroom?"

Wally nodded and headed back into the house. He took a pit stop in the kitchen, then walked straight into the guest bedroom.

Barry was staring at a photo, sitting on the bed. He seemed slightly teary-eyed.

"hey," Wally said, sitting next to him on the bed, "what's wrong?"

"just, you know," Barry shrugged, not taking his eyes off the photo, "thinking."

"yep," Wally said, "I thought you would be," he handed Barry one of the bottles he'd grabbed in the kitchen, "which is why I brought thinking fuel, drink up."

Barry laughed, "okay, if you insist."

Wally took a sip then turned to Barry, "so what you thinkin' about?"

"I'm gonna be a dad."

Wally nodded, "yep, yes, that is, yeah." Wally shrugged, "that is a thing that is happening."

"and it's insane," Barry said, "like, not to be stereotypical or anything, but... am I gonna mess this up?"

"Barry," Wally shook his head, taking another sip of his drink, "you're gonna be a great dad."

"am I though?" Barry asked, "my first dip in that pool was with you and you literally ran away."

"that can't be blamed on you," Wally said, "I had a really shitty father, it kinda ruined your chances."

Barry snorted, "still, I didn't do anything to help you, I just pushed you away."

"Barry you're gonna do great," Wally said, "my time as Kid Flash was amazing and that's largely because you were an amazing mentor who taught me so much."

"yeah but I have to do it from the start, like, when they're babies," Barry was still staring at the photo and Wally finally peeked over his shoulder at it. it was him and Iris at their second anniversary, Wally was in the bottom hand corner making a face and his mother was standing next to Iris.

Wally sighed and plucked the photo from his hands, "look, Barry." He placed the photo on the bed beside him, "you're gonna be fine, and you have so many friends who have kids that you can ask for help."

Barry nodded, "right, yeah." He took a deep breath and stood, putting the bottle on the ground, "stand up, come on."

Wally frowned, "whaaaaaat are we doing?"

"Stand up," Barry said.

Wally frowned but did, putting down his bottle and crossing his arms.

"okay," Barry said, "Iris has a job, I have a job, we regularly work overtime or bring work home, with everything in my life I think I sleep an hour a day," Barry said, "so, between me and Iris having two kids is gonna be real hard, especially if I'm dressing up in the suit and stuff so," Barry smiled and took off the flash ring that held the suit, "Wally West I hereby offer you," he held the ring to Wally, "the role as The Flash."

Wally blinked, staring at the ring outstretched.

"did you get drunk from three sips of beer?"

"I am perfectly sober," Barry said, grinning, "this is something I've been thinking about sine Bart showed up."

"Barry... I can't take this," he smiled, "you don't mean it."

"I do."

"but-"

"I do, Wally," Barry said, "I'm about to have two kids, at once, okay, I don't have time to save the city," he smiled, pushing the ring closer to Wally's face, "you've been going solo for six years-"

"not consecutive."

"doesn't matter," Barry said, "point is, you're good at what you do and I think if anyone deserves to wear the red it's you," he snorted, "plus, you know, this way you get to deal with Bart."

Wally shook his head, laughing, "okay."

"okay?"

"okay," Wally said, nodding, "okay, I'll do it."

"Ha ha!" Barry grinned, hugging Wally, then handed him the ring.

"I'm gonna need a different suit," Wally said looking at the ring, "we're a different size."

"ssh," Barry said, "just take the ring and we'll figure the rest out later."

They walked out into the front yard, picking up their bottles again and thinking up the perfect way to tell everyone.

Artemis smiled as she watched the blur rush past. She aimed her cross bow and fired at it, a bolas flew and caught him in the legs.

Wally looked up, "what the hell?!"

Artemis cackled, shot a grapple dart and swung down to him.

"hey there, Flash."

"what the hell Artemis."

"ah, ah," she grinned, "check the stripes, hun."

Wally blinked, "Tigress?"

"Artemis was Green Arrow's protégé," she shrugged, offering Wally her hand, "figured I'd give Tigress a chance."

"as a hero?"

She smiled, "as a blonde." she kissed him, "now let's go get some crooks."

Kaldur woke up to his alarm, which had been snoozed about eight times, at ten o'clock. Way too late for him but he'd stayed up late the night before doing work.

He turned it off, slipped on a shirt and headed to the kitchen. He put the coffee jug on and two slices of bread in the toaster. He checked his phone as he waited for the two things to be ready. There was a text from Wally about his first night out as The Flash and one from M'Gann about the party she wanted to throw as a bit of a six month anniversary of not being killed by the reach. He had a voicemail and he listened to it as he poured his coffee.

"hey Kal, uh, Mera and I wanted to head out for dinner next Saturday, we were hoping maybe you could babysit? It's Arthur, by the way, uh, yeah, just call me back-"

Kaldur laughed as he turned the phone off, Aquaman was hopeless with phones.

He took his coffee and toast out to the front porch of the house, staring out at the beach, the sun bright in the sky. He could smell the salt on the air and hear birds in the distance.

By the time he'd finished his coffee he'd gotten another text. This one from Dick, it just read: thirty minutes, wear something warm.

Kaldur washed up his dishes, had a shower, brushed his teeth and dressed. He heard the bike coming and headed out to the front.

Dick had pulled up and was leaning against his bike, wearing a leather jacket and aviators. He had one helmet under his arm, the other hooked on the back of the bike.

"wow," Kaldur said, grinning, "really living for the stereotype, huh?"

Dick smiled back, "well, I figured, why not?" he shrugged and held out his spare helmet, "wanna live the rom com?"

Kaldur smiled, took the helmet, then leaned down and kissed him, "I'd be glad."

It was indeed very rom com-esque, because Kaldur didn't have much experience with motorbikes and ended up clinging to Dick more than he expected. Although, Dick drove like a madman.

By the time they got to the restaurant Kaldur was glad to still be alive.

Dick tossed the keys to the valet, stuck his sunglasses in the collar of his jacket and held his hand out for Kaldur, who accepted with a smile.

"how'd you manage to get away from Bludhaven?" he asked as they walked into the foyer, "isn't the crime there more insane than Gotham?"

Dick shrugged, "I made time."

A waiter strode up to them, "can I find you a table this evening, gentlemen?"

"I have one booked, actually," Dick said and Kaldur stared in surprise, "should be under Grayson?"

"oh, yes," the water smiled, "right this way mister and mister Grayson."

"uh, no, we're not-"

Kaldur snorted and tapped his shoulder, "it's fine, it's funny."

The waiter showed them to a table for two by the window that looked out on the beach. Dick gave the waiter a drinks order, having somehow managed to pick up on Kaldur's favourite drink at some point.

"so," Kaldur began, "still going by Renegade?"

Dick shrugged, "I can't think of a new name, to be honest."

Kaldur laughed, "you should just think of something really obvious."

"well," Dick shrugged, "that's kinda what Renegade is. Thalia was like 'you need a name. hey, you're a teen rebel. Be renegade' and I just kinda went with it."

"okay," Kaldur smiled, "well, I'm gonna come up with a name for you, ask me when we're finished lunch."

"okay," Dick laughed, "let's talk about something other than work."

"yeah," Kaldur said, going with the first thing he thought of, "did you see the trailer for that new show om Netflix?"

"the hero one? Oh my god, yes," Dick laughed, "I can't believe they're making a super hero show, like, who would watch that?"

"I intend to just so I can make fun of it," Kaldur said.

Dick gasped, "we should binge it together when it comes out."

Kaldur was mildly annoyed because Dick refused to let him pay, but he did, at least, let him pretend to escort him to his bike, safe in the carpark.

"I got another text from Artemis, offering me a place on the team."

Kaldur nodded, "oh?"

Dick shrugged, "I'm thinking about it," he said, "but also, Canary offered me a place on the league."

Kaldur raised his eyebrows, "quite the choice."

"yep," Dick sighed, as if he could breathe away all his troubles if he tried hard enough.

"you know," Kaldur shrugged, "I think, whichever you choose, play your cards right and you'll probably be leading one of them within three years."

"oh, great," Dick said, "sounds fun."

Kaldur laughed, "do you remember when we started the team? And all you wanted was to be the leader."

Dick laughed, shaking his head, "god, that feels so long ago."

Kaldur almost died once more, as he experienced Dick's driving, but this time it was exhilarating because he knew what to expect.

He invited Dick in when they got to his place. The next morning while they were waiting for the coffee pot to boil Dick turned to Kaldur.

"so what's your idea for my hero name?"

Kaldur cocked his head, thinking, he smiled.

"Nightwing."

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

27K 911 18
Instead of being adopted by Bruce Wayne, young Richard Grayson stumbles upon Slade Wilson aka DeathStroke who took him in. Slade taught him how to fi...
227K 8.1K 37
The Batman, the dark knight of Gotham, a founding member of the Justice League...and after all this time they STILL don't even know his name! In thi...
377K 11.4K 69
Nightwing is great at looking strong. He's holding it together after the death of the second Robin, Jason, about to send one of his best friends unde...
59.6K 2.9K 39
Dick Grayson, the new hero on the street who goes by Puppet Master. With his new powers of course, how he got them? Kind of a long story. Ya see, wi...