Taste of Secrets

By twmarvel_obsessor

Y/N Nova Stone is starting her freshmen year at Belgrave University. She had no intention of being apart of t... More

Authors Note + Characters
🐺Season One🐺
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
🐺Season Two🐺
Authors Note + New Characters + Reminders
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
THANK YOU!!!!!
🐺Season Three🐺
Authors Note + Settings + Update
Chapter Thirty
!Update!
Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Twenty Three

589 13 0
By twmarvel_obsessor

I sat down on one of the chairs, leaning my chin on my hand. "Well, the Greeks had a word for the process of turning ideas into action," Foley said, "They called it 'Praxis,' but it is more than an idea or, or a concept." A waiter walked over, handing Hamish and I a glass of wine. I smelled the alcohol, but didn't like the smell. I set it on the table and left it alone. "And that's why we call the group Praxis, which is...." Foley continued. Salvador walked over to Foley, whispering something to him. "Everyone," Foley smirked, "Please top up your drinks, we're about to get started." Salvador walked over to the door, locking it. I looked up at Hamish as my fear started to creep up on me. He gave me a reassuring nod before looking back at Foley. I reached down for my dagger, preparing myself if I ever needed it. 

~~~~

"Well, thank you all for coming out," Foley said, "Some of you I've met before, some are new and some of you may not believe what you're about to see tonight." Foley looked at me, but slowly looked away. "Some may call what I'm about to show you anarchy or sedition," he stopped pacing, "or even terrorism and they'd be right because the truth is.... those are just other words for 'freedom'." The audience clapped as the man spoke. I looked around the crowd, concerned about their reactions. "Freedom," said my professor, "It doesn't come from asking nice. Freedom comes from rising up, freedom comes from fighting back. Freedom is never given, it must be taken, and what must be taken. What we must reclaim is a secret so ancient and so powerful that it has lived and died several times already." 

I felt my phone vibrate, but decided to ignore it. "A secret that could change the world, a secret that must change the world," Foley pulled out a knife and the crowd gasped, "and that secret is this..." He smirked in a evil way. 

"Magic is real." 

There was a hushed chattering across the crowd. Foley cut his palm and repeated an incantation I rose up from the table, preparing myself to take action. Hamish put a hand on my shoulder, shaking his head in disagreement. "Tarraing an tintreach," Foley said. His body soon ignited a purple and white glow. Foley's eyes soon turned to a pearl white color. The crowd gasped, their eyes widened at the sight. The lights on either side of the professor burst, leaving no more light to shine through the covers. Foley stopped the incantation and continued to breath heavily. I brought out my phone quickly and texted Randall. 

Me: Foley's doing magic

Randall: No shit

Me: Randall! 

Randall: Right, sorry! Be careful, I've gtg 

Me: K

I slipped my phone into my back pocket and continued to listen to my crazy Ethics professor. After about an hour of listening to Foley, the sun began to set. My professor motioned a women to sit on a chair up front. "Imagine," he said and rose his hand, the women and the chair began to rise. "This once belonged to the world before powerful and selfish elite began hoarding it, hunting anyone who defied them. Joan of Arc, the Salem Witch Trials, Helen Duncan," he continued, letting the women down to the ground. Gasps and chuckles scattered throughout the men and women. "Praxis will rise up against the corrupt oligarchy," Foley said, "and restore power to the world. Magic for the masses." 

I glanced at Hamish and nudged his arm. He took the hint, starting to clap vigorously (GIF Above). "Wow," he said, "That was amazing." 

"We've seen a lot of magic acts in my life," I said, "but I've never seen one that uses social justice as its hook." Professor Foley tilted his head as I spoke. "Well done, like really well done," Hamish said, continuing to clap. 

"That was real," Foley insisted. 

"Oh of course," Hamish said, "I didn't see the wires or anything, I promise." Hamish winked, smirking. Salvador walked over to the two of us and grabbed our arms, causing my grip on my dagger to loosen. "No, Salvadore," Foley said, "It's all right, bring him here." Salvador let go of the two of us. Hamish walked over to the professor and stood beside him. "I've seen you around," Foley said, "What's your name?" 

"Hamish duke, I'm a TA for Kravchuk." 

"A philosopher." 

"Technically I'm a failed a law student," Hamish joked, earning a laugh from the crowd. "But you'd consider yourself an intellectual and educated man?" said Foley. "I wouldn't go that far," Hamish replied. "But you're not easily fooled, though," Foley pushed Hamish onto a chair, "You need proof." Hamish and I made eye contact, he gave me a slight nod. I felt Salvador's eyes on me as I prepared myself for action. "Hamish," Foley sighed, "What if I told you..." Foley brought out the knife. My heart beat started to quicken. I knew that Hamish could take care of himself, but my concerned behavior was slowly sneaking up on me. 

"That inside of you..." Professor Foley looked upon the crowd, "Inside of all of you, there was a beating soul of pure energy and power, and all you had to do was accept it. To believe in it, to harness it?" 

"I'd say, 'Use the force, Luke'," Hamish joked, earning another  laugh from the audience. Foley laughed sarcastically and sighed. He leaned down to Hamish, muttering something to him. 

Foley sliced his palm again and said, "Cuir dol air!" Thick brown straps appeared from the sides of the chair, wrapping themselves over Hamish's wrist. The beat of my heart quickened. I grabbed the dagger from my back pocket, hiding it in my sleeve. "Whoa!" I exclaimed, "Amazing! That looks so real!" The crowd began to chatter again. 

"You idiots!" Foley yelled, "It's real!" 

"Of course, guys, it's totally real," Hamish said while he shook his head, "These straps totally came out of nowhere. They definitely didn't pop out of a secret compartment in the arm." Foley looked down at my friend and glared at him. "You and your friend are ruining everything," he said. Foley walked away from Hamish, pushing through the crowd. I ran after the professor with Hamish following me. I pushed open the door, waving my hand so that the shelves would fall on Foley. 

However, Professor Foley had other plans. He muttered an incantation and a wooden piece came hurtling at me. I ducked just in time before they would impale me, but unfortunately it cut me on the shoulder. Hamish ran ahead of me and kicked the door down. I hissed in pain, covering my wound with my hand. Ham-Radio and I watched Foley drive away. Hamish grabbed his phone, texting Randall. 

~~~~

"Ow," I said as Hamish dabbed the cut on my shoulder. "Randall's going to kill me," he said, setting the cloth down on the bar. "Well," I stood up from the couch, "He should know that I don't really listen." I grabbed a bandage and put it on the cut. "Have you tried the healing incantation?" Hamish asked, pouring me a drink. 

"It won't work," I replied, "Ever since Rogwan came, I can't seem to do any magic." He nodded and handed me a glass. I slipped my white cardigan back on. "Have you told your mom?" he asked. I shook my head, taking a sip of the drink. I hissed in pain as I lifted up my arm. The door to the den opened up, Randall walked into the den. "Hey," Randall said and sat down on the couch. I looked down at my watch and realized that it was pretty late. "I should probably go," I said, "I'll see you two later?" 

"Your not going to hangout with us?" Randall questioned, rising up from the couch. I shrugged as I tried to hide the pain. My crush narrowed his eyebrows and walked over to me. "What?" I said. 

"What's wrong?"

"N-Nothing," I shook my head, "Why would something be wrong? Right Hamish?" Hamish looked up from the bar. "Do not get me into this," he took a sip of his drink, "This is between you and your boyfriend." 

"He's not my boyfriend," I said while Randall said 'She's not my girlfriend.' Hamish raised his eyebrows, but soon shook it off and walked over to the couch. Randall looked back at me. "What happened?" he questioned, "Something must've happened." I swung my purse over my shoulder, but soon someone found out what I was hiding. Randall rushed over to me and pulled down my sleeve. His face soon changed once he saw the bandage. He looked up at me, letting my sleeve go. "I'm fine," I lied, "It wasn't that deep." 

"That deep?" 

"I'm okay," I nodded, "I got it taken care of." Randall looked back at Hamish, Hamish waved Randall to continue talking to me. "I thought I told you to be careful," Randall said, turning his head to me. "I was...." I trailed, "At least I thought I was." Randall scoffed, clenching his jaw. I reached for the door knob, but was soon stopped by Randall's foot in front of the door. "Randall...." I said, groaning in frustration. "I just want to go home," I added. 

"I'm not letting you go home unless you tell me, in the eyes, that you're fine." I sighed and let go of the door knob. I looked up at him, my face softening from his worried expression. "I'm okay," I said, "I'm really...really okay." He looked down at the ground and nodded. I reached up to him, kissing his cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow," I said and stepped back. I closed the door, leaving a flustered and relieved Randall. 

~~~~

I sat beside Gabrielle in her car, while Randall and Hamish sat in the back. "This is the worst stakeout car ever," Randall said, sighing. "We might as well be driving a spaceship," Hamish commented. "I think she just chose it because it was expensive," I said, smirking. "You got that right, I like you" Gabrielle looked at me, "I'm keeping you." 

"Thank you?" 

"Love that top," she said, pointing to my lace shirt. "oh thank you," I replied and smiled. "Where'd you get it?" she asked. "This boutique in Denver, my friends and I back home love it," I answered, "We'll have to go somewhere. 

"Oh my god yes-" 

"Can we stop talking about that and focus," Hamish interrupted, "He's not coming back." I rolled my eyes and leaned my head against the window. "He's coming back," Gabrielle said, still gripping the wheel. "Guys, I ransacked the place," Randall said, "There's nothing else there. There's no Order stuff, no Knights stuff." Randall said that last part quietly, so only Hamish and I could hear. "And we'll find the....stuff," I said. "We better find the....stuff," Randall replied. Gabrielle furrowed her eyebrows and looked at the three of us. "What are you three morons looking for?" she asked. "Nothing," the three of us responded. "Fine," Gabrielle looked back at the yard, "I don't care." 

"You totally do," I teased, "You care so hard." Gab rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. I smirked once I remember a quote. "So fucking hard," I quoted, followed my Gabrielle and Randall. "Woah, silence of the lambs?" I said while looking at Gabrielle. 

"It's why I got into psychology," she responded. "That's not the quote," Hamish said. "Yeah," Randall sighed, "That's word for word, the quote." 

"I've seen the film literally a million times," Gabrielle claimed. "So..." Hamish trailed, "What makes you think he's going to come back." She sighed, continuing to put her hand on the wheel. "Please," she said, "he's an adult male. There's something in there he can't live without." I looked out into the yard, looking for the creepy professor. "It's like you three with you precious stuff," she said. "You did not just profile us," said Randall, glancing at the girl. She smiled and shrugged. Foley's car approached the house. "Heads up," I said, pointing to the emerald green car. "Blitz attack?" Randall suggested. 

"Blitz attack," Hamish and I repeated. 

"Uh-uh!" Gabrielle announced, "Vera wants him alive, remember?" I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my seat. "We can't just hurt him just a little bit?" I asked. She shook her head and handed Randall the familiar brown bag. 

~~~~

Gabrielle, Hamish and I ran into the house once we realized Randall didn't come out. I ran over to him and helped him up from the ground. "For a tourist, the guy knows some powerful magic," Randall commented. I looked around the room and saw everything was a mess. "Shh, quiet," Gabrielle said, "He's still here." 

"Fan out, search the house," Hamish ordered. "Someone has to take the basement," Randall said. "Not it," they said, but Gab and I never repeated it. "Dammit," I muttered. I looked at Gabrielle, she sighed. Randall glanced at me and rose an eyebrow. "I know...I know," I rolled my eyes, "Be careful." We split up and I followed Gabrielle down the stairs. 

"Well this is creepy..." I mumbled, "Talk about disorganized." I scanned over the area, finding boxes on top of boxes laying across the floor. "Watch out for sigils on the ceiling!" Hamish announced, followed by an 'and the floor.' Gabrielle grabbed her knife and muttered an incantation. Red marks appeared across the walls. We walked around the basement, carefully. Both of our backs were turned at the wrong time. 

Foley appeared out of nowhere. "Mediocre students, mediocre magicians," he said, waving us across the room. My back hit the wall of boxes and they fell on top of Gab and I. "Your people have been hoarding magic for hundreds of years and you're the sum of their skills?" Foley criticized. I slowly sat up from the ground, throwing the boxes off of me. 

Fortunately my wound from the other day was fine, I sighed in relief. Foley snickered and shook his head. I jumped up from the ground, grabbing my dagger from my pant pocket. "Exi ex modesta te crudam," I muttered and Foley was flown across the room. I rubbed my shoulder as it was numb with pain. 

"He's down here!" I yelled, "A little help!" I grabbed Gabrielle's hand, helping her up from ground. "Are you okay?" I asked. "Yeah," she sighed, "Are you okay?" 

"Never," I gulped, "been better." Randall and Hamish ran down the basement stairs. Hamish walked over to Foley. "Not bad for two acolytes," Hamish commented. "Hey! She was fucking awesome!" Gabrielle exclaimed. I grabbed the hem of my sleeve and pulled it down slightly, checking the wound. "Dammit!" I exclaimed, "You've got to be shitten me." 

"I'll go with Hamish," I said, "You take care of Gabrielle." Randall hesitantly nodded, I helped Hamish drag Foley across the concrete floor. 

~~~~ 

I texted my mother to tell her that we were here. Hamish and I hopped out of the car. She approached us along with two other people. I opened the back of the car, revealing Foley all tied up. "Ladies and gentlemen," Hamish cleared his throat and grabbed Foley, "May I present Cameron Foley." Hamish let Foley stand up. I put my hand on Foley's shoulder, "Mediocre Ethics professor, and the man who stole your magic." I took my hand off and tour the tape off of Foley's mouth. "That right there is your problem," Foley said, "Me, mine, ours...Magic isn't something to be possessed." 

"May I?" I asked. My mother nodded, slightly smirking. I grabbed Foley's shoulders and kneed him in the groin. He groaned as a response. The leader of the Sons of Prometheus nodded at the two men that had approached us. Hamish closed the trunk of the car. "I think we have a common enemy," Xavier said. "Thank you," mother replied. 

"I didn't-" 

"Let my disciple go," mother interrupted. Xavier walked away, Hamish and I looked at my mother. "Where's Jack?" I asked. 

~~~~

I walked in between Jack and Hamish. "You know you're more than welcome to stay if you want," Orville said to Alyssa. "I know I am, but...." Alyssa trailed, then looked at the ground. Alyssa and the boy soon stood behind my mother and Xavier. "Gabrielle helped you?" Jack inquired in disbelief. "Not just helped, she saved the day," I said, smiling. 

"Gabrielle Dupres?" 

"I know, right?" Hamish said, scoffing. My mother and the other people stopped abruptly. "Oh my god," Vera said. Alyssa turned around and gasped. "We have to help them," Alyssa Drake said. The group and I ran to the crowd of people. Dozens of members laid dead on the floor, all of their hearts along with a few other organs were missing. Hamish, Jack and I approached one of the bodies. "Foley," Jack said. 

"Midnight." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

671K 11.9K 31
{This Book is discontinued, but on my page is a new version of this book I'm writing you should check out if you want to. Thank you!} Madison Deane S...
5.2K 151 19
Hamish and Vera (+everyone else) after they stopped yet another apocalypse as narrated by Hamish (mostly).
96.5K 1.7K 16
based on netflix's 'the society' katherine wood expected to go on a regular school trip with her peers, but to their dismay, the bus didn't stop at t...
3.3K 68 12
A short story about the Knights of St. Christopher when another set of Knights turn up. Who are these new Knights? Why are they here? Are they danger...