๐˜‰๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต๐˜ด

By Euphoric_18

"๐‘ป๐’‰๐’†๐’š ๐’Œ๐’๐’†๐’˜ ๐’Š๐’•. ๐‘ป๐’Š๐’Ž๐’†, ๐’…๐’Š๐’”๐’•๐’‚๐’๐’„๐’†, ๐’๐’๐’•๐’‰๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’„๐’๐’–๐’๐’… ๐’”๐’†๐’‘๐’‚๐’“๐’‚๐’•๐’† ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’Ž. ๐‘ฉ๏ฟฝ... More

โ€ขIntroductionโ€ข
โ€ข Prologue โ€ข
โ€ข 1 โ€ข
โ€ข 2 โ€ข
โ€ข 3 โ€ข
โ€ข 4 โ€ข
โ€ข 5 โ€ข
โ€ข 6 โ€ข
โ€ข 7 โ€ข
โ€ข 8 โ€ข
โ€ข 9 โ€ข
โ€ข 10 โ€ข
โ€ข 11 โ€ข
โ€ข 12 โ€ข
โ€ข 13 โ€ข
โ€ข 14 โ€ข
โ€ข 15 โ€ข
โ€ข 16 โ€ข
โ€ข 17 โ€ข
โ€ข 19 I โ€ข
โ€ข19 IIโ€ข
โ€ข 20 โ€ข
A Sincere Request
Thank youโค
โ€ข 21 โ€ข
โ€ข 22 โ€ข
Requesting Again
โ€ข 23 โ€ข
โ€ข 24 I โ€ข
โ€ข 24 II โ€ข
โ€ข 25 โ€ข
โ€ข 26 โ€ข
โ€ข 27 โ€ข
Hey.
Hey again...
long time no see
โ€ข 28 โ€ข
a little sneak peek

โ€ข 18 โ€ข

2.3K 227 111
By Euphoric_18

"Lagta hai jam ho gaya hai. Yeh nahi khulega." He affirmed making her sigh in exhaustion.

He tried one more time by pushing it with full force but it still remained intact in its place. At last, he gave up and said, "Iss time toh koi repair karne wala bhi nahi hoga..." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully for a minute before saying, "Balcony ke door se check karte hain." Before he could take a step forward, her voice halted him, "Usse bhi kuch nahi hoga...Maine andar ki side se lock karke rakhti hun usey."

His mouth pulled in a small pout, "Achha...fir toh kuchh nahi kar sakte." Her face was etched with worry, 'Ab kya karu main?' Her room was the only place of comfort for her in this big house. She hadn't even seen the whole of it. What was she supposed to do now? Maybe the guest room would be a better option for now.

"Aapke paas spare blankets hain kya?" She asked breaking Sameer's trail of thoughts. "Blankets?" He frowned.

"Haan...yeh toh khulega nahi.-" She indicated towards the door "-Main neeche guest room mein so jaaungi."

He pondered over it for a while but agreed. "Main dekhta hu cupboard mein. Tum chalo." She nodded and proceeded downstairs.

The room was a bit dusty as it hadn't been put in use for a long time. She coughed as she dusted the bedsheet by her hands. But this wasn't bothering her. She could adjust, exactly how she had been doing till now. Sameer entered holding a thin blanket and saw her tugging the bedsheet from the ends. For a millisecond, a thought flashed in his mind, 'What if I offer to come to my ro- What the hell Sameer! That already sounds too inappropriate. She would be so uncomfortable and so would you.' With that, he threw that idea far away from his mind and handed her the blanket.

She took it, "Thank you."

"Koi problem ho toh inform me. Okay?" He said to which she nodded.

"Good night." Taking a last glance at her, he went upstairs.

Naina glanced around the room and with a sigh, sat on the bed unfolding the blanket and slid under it. She was feeling tired after such a long day and was in a dire need of good sleep. She felt relieved as she closed her eyes, however, it didn't last long. Hardly an hour had passed, when she woke up with a start.

She was in the middle of a bad dream and on the verge of having another nightmare when a thud sound reverberated around the room, disturbing the pin-drop lull. Taking a deep breath to calm herself, she looked around for the source of unrest and found the windowpane thudding due to the turbulent wind outside. Her sleep was long gone. The room was pitch dark, the only light coming was from outside. The queer silence was feeding more to her trepidation. Her heart rate was increasing per second.

Taking the blanket, she hastily left for the living room. If she was frightened before, then now she was terrified. The fact that no one was present in the whole room was making her insides churn. There was only Sameer, but he too was upstairs.

'Sameer ko bulaun kya?' She contemplated but brushed it off mumbling, "Kya kahungi unse bhi? Yeh ki mujhe darr lag raha hai? Woh bhi sochenge kaisi bacchon jaisi baatein kar rahi hai. Waise bhi aise disturb karna sahi nahi hoga."

She inhaled and exhaled, "It's okay Naina. Flat mein bhi toh akeli thi na, tab toh nahi laga darr. Ek raat ki hi toh baat hai. You can do it." After a brief pep talk with herself, she went towards the sofa and lied down on it, pulling the blanket over herself.

Maybe, the reason why she would sleep peacefully in her room was due to him only. It wasn't like Sameer used to be with her, but it wasn't otherwise too. At least, she would sleep peacefully knowing that he is present in the next room and that she isn't alone.

Upstairs, Sameer was tossing and turning on his bed. Sleep was far away from his eyes owing to the reason for waking up late in the morning. He turned again laying on his back and began staring at the ceiling. The whole day's events began to play in his mind. He was himself not being able to reckon that it all went well without a speck of discomfort, okay, except for the handhold and when their uninvited pasts had come in between. The rest of it was fine, much for his satisfaction.

What surprised him more was Naina's dual personality which had unleashed in front of him in the last few days. It seemed like there were two different Nainas. One, who was confident and levelheaded as per his observation in the office. Her command on her work was commendable. However, the other side was completely contrasting. It was vulnerable and simple-hearted which he had seen for the first time the night after Mrs Mathur's incident when they were at the balcony. .

It was hard for him to believe both were the same person. That didn't mean he could overlook it. Although she hadn't stirred up any trouble, not yet, and they had been getting along adequately but not enough to have blind trust in each other.

Thinking about her, his mind went downstairs where she might be sleeping, alone. Something was making him restless. "Pure floor pe akele so rahi hai. Check karlu kya ek baar? Ya rehne deta hu." Muttering so, he turned on his side closing his eyes.

However, he found himself carrying the half-filled water jug downstairs after ten minutes. Taking vigilant steps, he switched on the night lights and made his way towards the kitchen but came to standstill. At first, he thought it was an illusion but his doubts got cleared when he turned again only find a figure wrapped in the soft blanket he had lent to Naina. 'Wait, Is this Naina?' He walked slowly and came in front of her.

Leaning a little towards her, he whispered, "Naina" which made her jerk. She instantly pushed the blanket from her eyes and peeped out. Much to her relief, she found him looking at her with a frowned face, "Tum yahan kya kar rahi ho?"

She sat up slowly avoiding his gaze and brushed her fingers through her hair, "Mujhe neend nahi aa rahi thi wahan pe."

He studied her as he took a seat on the sofa chair. Something was wrong. She was fidgeting under his gaze. It took him just one glimpse, one glimpse of her brown eyes and as always they revealed the truth. How was he able to read her eyes? Well, this question was beyond his understanding since he himself didn't know.

"Sach batao ab." He ordered.

"M-main sach bol rahi hu." She said in a meek voice.

Just then, a loud gust of wind whizzed past due to which the windows fluttered. She clenched the blanket hard instinctively which didn't go unseen by him and then he discerned why she wasn't sleeping inside.

"Tumhe darr lag raha hai?" He asked gently.

Her eyes widened for a second before composing herself, "N-nahi, aisa nahi hai." She said and this time, her voice wavered.

"Tum bilkul jhuth nahi bol paati, so rehne do." His said rolling his eyes.

She kept looking down until his voice fell in her ears, "It's fine. Bas tez hawa hi toh hai, kuch nahi hoga. Aur aisa tha toh bol deti."

"Main aapko disturb nahi karna chahti thi." She replied.

"Isme disturb ki kya baat, waise bhi main so nahi raha tha. Neend hi nahi aa rahi, late utha tha na aaj." He told her.

He had picked up the jug with an intention to refill it even though it already had enough water. In his mind, he was just going to the kitchen after which he would check on Naina once. But it was another way round. He was going to check up on her with an excuse to fill the jug, which his mind kept concealing.

"Tumko sona hai toh so jaao." Seeing her looking here and there, he said to which she denied, "Mujhe sach mein ab neend nahi aa Rahi hai."

He shrugged and cracked his knuckles. Both of them went quiet not knowing how to take the conversation further even though they wanted to. The only sound resonating in the room for the next few minutes was that of the thunderstorm , until Sameer chose to break the ice, again.

"Puri raat aise hi baithe rehna hai kya?" He inquired.

"Pata nahi. Aur kya kar sakte hain...Aapko kuch kaam ho toh aap kar lijiye." She politely answered.

Leaning back to the sofa chair, he said, "Nahi. Mera mann nahi kar raha."

He took a pause before continuing, "Umm..." His tone was hesitant, "Ek kaam hai..." She nodded, gesturing him to continue. He immediately stood up to go towards the TV cupboard and began rummaging in one of the drawers. Pulling out an off-white envelope, he came back and handed it to her. It was an invitation from 'Asha Welfare Association' on the occasion of its Foundation Day. She lifted her questioning gaze back to Sameer.

He proceeded to tell her, "Tum jaanti toh ho hi iske baare mein." She was aware of this association. It was an orphanage-cum-old age home that had partnered with Maheshwari Industries since a very long time. Every year, a small percentage of the profits received by the company through every deal is donated to the trust fund. Being the Financial Accountant of the company, she had records of every monetary transaction kept in check.

He resumed on receiving a nod from her side, "Actually, Nanu ne hi iss association ko 20 saal pehle shuru karwaya tha. Meri Nani ke naam pe. Unhi ka naam Asha tha. Apni company ki itni badi responsibility hone ke baad bhi unhone kabhi waha ke logo ko kisi cheez ki kami mehsoos hone nahi di. Woh humesha kehte the ki unke do parivar hain, ek yaha aur ek wahan..." Well, this was completely new to her knowledge.

She had no idea that it was founded by Nanaji himself. Her respect for him increased tenfold. Her inquisitive gaze compelled him to tell the actual thing which he had been wanting to say, "Do din baad unka Foundation Day hai. Hum dono ko invite kiya gaya hai...Nanu mujhse kaha karte the ki jab bhi woh...I mean jab bhi time aaye toh jitna bhi zaroorat ka samaan ho, woh wahan pe donate kar diya jaaye...Toh kya tum...tum meri help karwa dogi usey sort out karne mein?"

The struggle behind those words was apparent in his heavy voice. He still remembered the day when Nanu had told him about this wish of donating his belongings to the people who need them. His philanthropic personality had been always admired by Sameer. That day he had wished to never see the day when his Nanu would leave him forever. But he didn't know that he was demanding the impossible.

He had been avoiding doing this for the past month because he knew, the moment he would enter his room alone, it would be the last straw for him. His firm resolve would crumble into pieces and at this point when he'd been holding himself so strong, he wasn't in favor of it. Perhaps, this is the reason why he had asked Naina to accompany and help him so that he could keep himself sane and fulfill his duty.

As if she could have an insight into his thoughts she could feel the torment he was going through and was ready to stand by him.

"Nanaji ne bohot kuch kara hai mere liye. Bohot se ehsaan hai unke mujhpar. Unke liye main itna to kar hi sakti hun. Main zaroor aapka saath dungi." She said in a placid tone.

Both of them made their way to Nanaji's room which had been locked since his demise. With a heavy heart, Sameer reached to the front of his door with Naina behind him. A lump had formed in his throat as all the memories once again knocked the door to his mind. He gulped heavily. He wasn't in favour to display his vulnerability in front of Naina, therefore, he opened the door after taking a deep breath. They both entered inside and took a glance around the room. Every single thing was untouched, still at its previous place. Their gazes shifted to Nanaji's garland adorning photo frame. They had never been to his room together. It was like he was actually smiling in his photo seeing them together.

Without a word, Sameer walked away and disappeared inside another small room. Till then, Naina stepped in front of Nanu's photo frame placed on a wooden floating shelf on the wall with a few flower petals lying on it. She joined both of her hands and stood closing her eyes. The same moment Sameer came back with a large and old retro suitcase. His feet halted at the sight as he placed the suitcase beside the bed. He silently stepped in her direction and stopped beside her. Shifting his attention towards his Nanu, he forwarded both of his hands to the bottom of the frame and took his blessings. By now Naina had opened her eyes, a small smile shaping her mouth in contentment.

A few minutes later, both of them were sitting on the bed facing each other with the opened suitcase between them. It contained Nanu's vintage collection of various objects such as books, journals, stamps, ancient coins, retro cassettes along with the wooden box of his sovereigns, and many more usable miscellaneous items. Sameer pored on each and everything, still remembering how he used to brag about his Nanu's vintage collection in front of his friends in school.

"Nanu ko aise vintage items collect karne ka bohot shouk tha. Woh jab bhi kahi business trips ya tours pe jaate the toh humesha mere liye aise hi kuch na kuch zaroor laate the." He said with a smile on his face and ran a hand over the items, recollecting the memories associated with them.

"Unhone mujhe bhi bataya tha, ki kaise aap bohot khush ho jaya karte the jab bhi aap unke trips ke baare mein sunte the." She replied agreeably.

He came out of the daze, his brows furrowed as if mulling over something and then he said, "Naina, dekho mujhe pata hai Nanu tumhe pehle se jaante the. Par woh aise hi kisi se bhi itna kuch share nahi karenge. Sirf tumse kyu? Main kaafi pehle se yeh puchna chah raha tha. I want to know ki tum dono ka itna acha bond kaise bana..."

She looked away for a second, returning back to meet his polling eyes and began, "Main Nanaji se pehli baar uss mandir mein hi mili thi. Iss sheher mein nayi thi main. Kuch bhi nahi pata tha yahan ke baare mein. Bohot ghabrayi hui thi. Jab har chiz ki ummeed chhut chuki thi tab Nanaji ek kiran banke mujhe mile. Pata nahi kaise unhe bina mere kuch bole samajh aaya ki main pareshani mein hun. Uss din ki baatein aaj bhi yaad hai mujhe, kaise unhone mujhe himmat rakhne ke liye samjhaya tha. Uske baad se har hafte woh mujhe usi mandir mein milte the." He listened to her each and every intently, side by side taking the things out from the suitcase.

"Ek alag sa rishta bann gaya tha unke saath. Main toh unke baare mein kuch jaanti bhi nahi thi, ki woh itne bade aadmi hain. Woh jab bhi mujhe ashirwaad dene ke liye mere sar pe haath rakhte the, ek apnapan mehsoos hota tha. Unki har baat se seekh milti thi jinse koi bhi zindagi ki kisi bhi mushkil se saamna kar sakta tha. Woh mere liye kisi bhagwan ke roop se kam nahi the. Bohot izzat hai mere mann mein unke liye." She was saying this all the while smiling as she reminisced those days gazing out of the window, her eyes glistened due to the tears which had formed. His eyes grew soft on seeing how much she regarded his Nanaji. He vaguely remembered the day when Nanu had mentioned about her for the first time when he had met her.

"Aaj ek ladki mili mujhe mandir mein. Ekdum chup aur khoyi hui baithi thi ek kone mein...Uski aankhon mein udaasi thi, ek khaalipan tha jaise usne sabse haar maanli ho, ek darr tha...Bohot maasoom hai bechari, par uski baaton se laga hi nahi. Itni maturity thi unme. Bas koi pareshani na ho usko ab."

He was sure Nanu had definitely seen something in her which had made him choose her for him. But his question still remained unanswered, Why only her? Guess he would have to find out by himself which wasn't going to be an easy mission for him. He could wait.

For now, he needed to know what had happened with her that she was so disturbed that day in the temple. Earlier too, when her family's topic had been raised, she was visibly disturbed. Connecting the dots, it wasn't rocket science to infer that there had been some family issues with her. But what? Asking now would be too early, so he saved it for later.

"Mujhe Nanaji kabhi kabhi batate the tumhare mein, par tumhara naam nahi bataya kabhi." She sniffed lightly and gave a tight-lipped smile.

Being nostalgic, she hadn't realized when she was telling him how Nanaji had met her and in a daze had blurted about her troubles in front of him. She was expecting him to question her past but he didn't, making her almost believe that it doesn't make any difference for him.

But, his next statement completely took her off guard, "I understand ki tumhare past mein bhi kuch problems rahi hain par main unke baare mein abhi nahi puchunga because I know tum nahi bata paaogi. Humne hi decide kiya tha ki ek baar mein ek step lenge. It's okay. Inn sabke baare mein fir kabhi baat karenge."

His compassionate gesture filled her heart with an unknown warmth and she passed a genuine smile to him receiving a faint one from him.

They resumed their work of keeping things which were to be given in a separate box. One by one, many boxes and trunks were emptied. In one of the boxes, Naina spotted some trophies and certificates with his name on them, which seemed to be old, like they were from his school time. He saw her going through them and was surprised to see them, "Nanu ne yeh abhi tak sambhal rakhe hain? Mujhe bataya bhi nahi. Uss din toh maine yeh sab phek diye the." He was talking to himself completely forgetting the fact that there was someone else present too. His statement made her bemused, "Aapne inhe pheka kyun?"

His demeanor changed to that of rigid, a storm brewing in his eyes, "Tumhare liye yeh certificates aur trophies hongi. Mere liye ek buri yaad ke alawa kuch nahi hai." He said in a cold voice taking her aback. Before she could say anything, he took them or basically snatched them from her hands, keeping them back in the box.

The rest of the work was done mostly being silent. In a span of two hours, they had categorized almost everything. The majority of it came out to be suitable for the veterans such as some shawls, unstitched clothing materials, books, vintage watched, and many more except for the stationery which would be beneficial for the students.

Naina was sitting on the floor beside the bed collecting the unnecessary stuff. The room had become an absolute mess. She was piling up some files when she heard a faint sound of even breathing. Peeking up on the bed, she found Sameer dozing on his stomach, keeping his head on some documents. A bag laid open beside him along with other files. Guess he had slept while reading them. She shifted all the things to the other side of the bed and took the quilt to cover him. However, while doing so his sleep got disturbed making him open his eyes in slits. He was still drowsy. The last thing he saw was a blurred picture of Naina whispering, "So jaaiye aap." After which he went into a deep slumber.

Naina arranged everything appropriately, trying to be as silent as possible. While cleaning, her gaze automatically shifted to his face. She kept peering at him for a few seconds. He was sleeping like an innocent kid. Thinking about what he said about his certificates, she wondered about the reason for saying so. Why had he thrown them away? And what did he mean by 'Buri yaadein'? She knew that he was equally in pain but what had caused it? She couldn't ask him, not now. He had respected her privacy by not querying about her past when she had told him about Nanaji. She could do it too. She could wait.

Switching off the lights, she left for the living room with a sense of relief. At least he was here.

******

The next morning was sunny and bright accompanying the faint gush of breeze. Naina woke up when she heard clinking and clanking sounds coming from the kitchen breaking her slumber. She sat up on the sofa yawning hard and turned to take a look at the wall clock, 11 a.m. Her eyes widened out of shock but then she recalled that it had already been 3:30 a.m. by the time she was done with cleaning up the room, so, waking up late was bound to happen. She was twirling her hair to shape them in a bun when she saw Sameer coming out of the kitchen's entrance holding a mug, slight vapors emitting out of it. He slowed his pace as he moved towards her direction with an unknown emotion in his eyes.

"Good morning." He greeted her putting the mug of coffee on the table. "Good morning." Her voice came out in a husky way. He noticed the direction of her gaze towards his mug."Tum so rahi thi toh maine khud hi bana li. Pata nahi kaisi bani hogi?" He said taking a sip of the hot simmering liquid. In a few seconds, he put it back on the table wrinkling his nose, "Firse cheeni kam padd gayi..." She watched him in amusement but gained her composure when he turned his attention to her, "Tumhare room ka door thik ho gaya hai. Subah bula liya tha maine."

"Thank you." She muttered. "No problem. Maine toast banaye the thode. Main already khaa chuka hun. Tum dekh lena agar unhe khana chaho toh." He said in a civil tone to which she replied, "Okay."

He stood up and made his way towards the staircase after keeping the mug back in the kitchen. She watched him going but frowned when he halted. He tilted his head to the right side, his back still facing her, and said, "Naina, Kal help karne ke liye thanks." He knew she heard it. Without waiting for her reply he left, leaving her standing there in a daze.

The remaining day passed normally. The issue of lunch and dinner was resolved as Anika had sent some food packed in containers the minute she came to know about it and they both couldn't thank her more for her thoughtfulness.

******

It was the Foundation Day of Asha Welfare Association. As per the invitation, a ceremony was also going to be a part of the program to pay homage to their founder i.e. Jaiprakash Maheshwari. Sameer and Naina had reached 30 minutes prior to the function to complete the formalities for the donations. She had gone for a Peach and Golden Saree whereas Sameer stuck to his Dark Grey suit over a white shirt.

All the arrangements had been done on the backside lawn of their residential building. Everyone including the staff, the children, the aged had joined in leaving no stone unturned as it was a big day for them. They had been equally devastated when they came to know that the man who had provided them with shelter and food, who cared about their wellbeing, who helped them in their tough times was no more. They all wanted to do the best for him to show how much love and respect they hold in their hearts as if he could see them from heaven.

The decorations had been kept simple using balloons and ribbons being attached to the strings tied with the trees surrounding them. A makeshift stage was positioned in the front with a podium fitted with garlands of marigold flowers. A wooden framed, garland adorning photo of Nanaji stood on a small white-covered table with a handful of flower petals placed in front of it. Chairs were systematically arranged to accommodate as many people as possible.

Since Munna-Pandit were busy dealing with their work issues, Kabir too had been invited as he had visited a few times with the boys. Sameer and Naina were sitting in the front row along with Kabir and Anika. The program initiated by a girl in her teens welcoming all the esteemed guests. Apart from their lifestyle, their education had also been given full attention.

A lamp lighting ceremony was conducted for which Sameer and Naina were called to do the honors. It was followed by a eulogy delivered by one of the old men in his late seventies who used to consider Nanu his friend. Many children and the elder ones came up on stage dedicating songs, poetries, and heartfelt notes to him. A skit was presented with the message of serving others which is considered equal to serving god. By the time the function ended, the sentimental ambience had left everyone misty-eyed, especially Sameer. He was feeling overwhelmed by their efforts. Kabir patted his back in a comforting manner. Naina understood how he must be feeling, she too was missing Nanu a little extra today.

After having lunch which had been arranged at the back, Anika suggested, "Arey Sameer, Naina ko yahan ki jagah toh dikhao. Woh first time aayi hai yahan." They both exchanged a glance before nodding and went away together. Kabir's expressions changed to those of confusion at his wife's words. He had already told her the truth, then why did she do that?

"Anika, maine tumhe sab kuch bataya toh tha unn dono ke baare mein. Kya chal raha hai tumhare dimag mein?" He asked seeing her mischievous smile.

She replied rolling her eyes, "Offo, tumhe sab batana padta hai. Sameer pakka dost hai na tumhara?" She smiled seeing his puzzled face, "I know woh dono ek dusre ko pasand nahi karte. But tum khud hi dekho, dono bilkul perfect lagte hain ek dusre ke liye. Tumhe toh ulta meri help karni chahiye apne dost ka ghar basaane mein." She said gesturing in their direction where Sameer was indicating towards the building while telling something to Naina who was nodding at his words. Kabir didn't say anything and just kept looking at them.

******

They were silently walking in the corridor after almost covering up the whole of this place. Sameer had his hands in his pockets. Soft breeze brushed past them. He pointed towards a room and said, "Woh Health Care Unit hai. Emergency cases ke liye full-time staff available rehta hai jisse kisi ko bhi problem na ho. Aas paas ke hospitals se doctors, specialists, paramedics humesha zaroorat ke time available rehte hain. Saari medical facilities free rakhi gayi hain. Chhote bacchon ke liye regular basis pe vaccination ya blood donation campaigns conduct kiye jaate hain."

Naina nodded, "Mujhe toh pata hi nahi tha Nanaji ne itna kuch kiya hai inn sab ke liye." Her eyes shone with admiration as she glanced around. He shortly smiled looking at her and said, "Wapas chalein? Sab wait kar rahe honge." Naina replied, "Haanji."

They turned to go but a sound of something hitting the floor halted them. He looked around and spotted an old lady struggling to pick her walking stick which had fallen while she was descending the stairs. Her face wasn't visible from the distance. He instantly rushed towards her, followed by Naina. She helped her to balance on her feet as he picked the stick for her. As he handed it to her, she saw his face and her eyes widened with happiness, "Sameer beta..."

He was equally delighted to see her, "Jaanki dadi!" He bent down to touch her feet.

"Jeeto raho. Kaisa hai tu?" Placing her hand on his head, she blessed him. "Main bilkul thik hun. Aap kaise ho?" He asked contentedly.

"Mujhe kya hoga. Mera kaam toh iske sahare chal hi raha hai." She said gesturing towards her walking stick before her gaze fell on Naina who just stood watching their exchange curiously.

"Yeh dekho zara, Mujhe baaton mein laga raha hai. Yeh nahi ki milwa de Bahu se." She cupped Naina's face affectionately, "Kitni sundar hai...Nazar na lage kisiki...Main Jaanki, yahi pe rehti hu."

Naina smiled and said, "Namaste Dadiji." and bent down to touch her feet. "Main tum dono ke liye bohot zyada khush hun. Pata hai Jaiprakash Ji humesha kehte the ki Sameer ke liye koi aisi waisi nahi balki bohot khaas ladki pasand karenge. Mujhe pura vishwas hai unhone kuch soch samajh kar tumhe iss buddhu ke liye pasand kara hoga..."

She said in a croaked voice but the smile didn't fade away. She was feeling content as she considered Sameer as her own. Her words stirred something deep inside him, he didn't know exactly what. Nanu had actually been very particular about choosing the perfect girl for him. This only added more to his turmoil but pushed it to the backseat of his mind.

Turning to Sameer she caressed his arm, "Beta, main jaanti hun kafi mushkil hai iss waqt se ladna par main yeh bhi jaanti hun tu himmat haarne walon mein se nahi hai. Tere Nanu ka woh khoon hai tujhme jisme haar maanna likha hi nahi hai. Unhone hum sab ki zindagi mein asha ki kiran jagake usey sawaar diya hai. Aise mahaan vyakti ka naati peeche nahi rahega. Mujhe pura yakeen hai tu unka naam zaroor roushan karega." Taking Naina's hand in her free one, she continued, "Mera aashirwad humesha tum dono ke saath hai. Abhi nayi nayi shaadi hui hai tumhari. Kabhi ek dusre ka saath mat chhodna aur humesha kadam se kadam milaake chalna. Har rishte ki buniyaad vishwas aur ek dusre ko samajhna hota hai. Isey kabhi tutne mat dena."

"Ji dadi." They both said in unison glancing at each other and bent at the same time to take her blessings.

Taking their leave, they both made their way outside where Kabir and Anika were waiting for them. While walking on the grass, Naina's heels got stuck making her stumble a bit. His hand automatically reached for her arm, gripping it firmly and helped her to stand straight, "Aaram se chalo." His tone was devoid of any emotion. Her gaze collided with his. Time stilled. Surroundings faded. Heartbeats escalated.

Anika passed her husband a knowing look gesturing towards them who were still lost in each other. This time Kabir couldn't refute. He hadn't seen his friend like this with a girl since ages.

Before the moment could last long, loud chatters of a group of children interrupted it. Coming back to their senses, they found their way being blocked by them. One of the boys spoke, "Sameer bhaiya, aap kitne dinon baad aaye ho, humare saath kheliye naa..." Others too joined him, "Haan bhaiya...please..." He gladly accepted and said ruffling his hair, "Okay. Jaao Kabir bhaiya ko bhi bula laao."

"Offo, inn ladko ko toh humesha khelne ki lagi rehti hai." A young girl remarked by twisting her face the same time they left for the Basketball court. Naina looked at her in wonder. "Oh. Main toh bhul gyi apne baare mein batana. Myself Mehak. I am ten years old." She said confidently forwarding her hand in front of Naina. "Hello Mehak. I am Naina." She leaned to her face level and shook hands with her, smiling.

"Nice to meet you didi. Sameer bhaiya toh yahan aate rehte hain. Par aapka first time hai na toh isliye hum aapko kuch dena chaahte hain." She signalled another girl who immediately left from there. After a few seconds, she came back with a medium-sized box wrapped up in a glittery paper and handed it to Naina. She took it and examined it.

Just then, Mehak said, "Di, abhi kholo na..."
She smiled and unravelled it carefully. On opening the box, it revealed a few pairs of earrings, a pendant and a bracelet, but their most fascinating factor was that they were purely handmade using waste materials like bottle caps, scraps of wires, beads & strings, completely transforming them into those beautiful and unique pieces of jewellery. One would definitely be having a hard time differentiating between the artificial ones and them.

She was deeply touched by this gesture, "Aap toh bohot hi creative ho. Kahan se seekha aapne yeh banana?"

Mehak chirped in, "Workshop wali aunty ne sikhaya." Naina chuckled, "Acha...toh aap mujhe bhi sikhaoge?" She asked showing interest to which Mehak heartily agreed. They both gave a high-five to each other which was witnessed by Sameer who found the scene adorable. He stood their with a smile on his face, holding his blazer.

Naina straightened seeing him. He came forward, "Yeh blazer aur phone pakad logi, please. Inke saath thoda khel lu, fir ghar ke liye niklenge." She nodded taking the hold of them and saw him running back to the boys who were waiting for him only. Anika chuckled inwardly over the irony that both of them claim that they aren't a couple but behave exactly like one.

Mehak held her hand and took her to a carpet spread on the floor in an open corridor which was near to the basketball court. Anika too accompanied them. They both settled on the carpet as the girls had gone back to their rooms to bring the materials required.

"Kitni pyaari bacchi hai na Mehak?" Anika said looking at Naina who gave a nod still smiling. "Par kismat ka khel dekho zara. Kuch mahine pehle hi aayi hai yahan par lagta hi nahi. Sabki laadli hai. Par koi nahi jaanta bechari ne kaisa waqt dekha hai..." She turned her gaze to the ground putting a sad smile on her face, which made Naina frown and ask, "Kya matlab?"

"Iss so-called modernized world mein aaj bhi kuch log beti ko ek bojh samajhte hai. Mehak ki family ko humesha se ek beta chahiye tha. Abhi kuch hi mahino pehle uske parents ko beta hua, toh usey yahan chhod gaye jisse saara dhyan uspe de sakein. I don't know logon ko kab samajh aayega..." She sighed as she completed. Naina stilled on her spot. Tear brimmed in her eyes. The ghosts of the past began to show up.

At the same moment, Mehak returned back with a poly bag containing all the material. A few minutes back, she didn't even know this girl. But now, it felt like she knew her for years. A myriad of emotions had taken over her mind. She felt a strong connection with this girl who was enthusiastically directing her to make loops from the strings. She saw someone else in her. She saw herself.

The game continued till the evening having both of the men covered with sweat by the end of it. Rushing back to their wives, they propounded to leave for home as it was getting late. Anika showed Kabir the bracelet she had learned to make. Mehak was still helping Naina who was still trying to get the loop right in the earrings she was making. Sameer noticed her and it wasn't tough for him to discern that she was distressed over something.

"Sameer bhaiya, yeh dekho maine Naina didi ko bhi yeh banana sikha diya hai. Woh aapko sikha dengi. Fir aap unke liye bhi banake unhe gift de sakte ho. Woh khush ho Jayenge." She winked as she whispered the last line taking him by surprise. Kabir and Anika laughed at her nutty suggestion. For a 10 years old girl, she was surely a step ahead.

A frown made its way on his face when he saw her zoning out. Her face looked pale. 'What happened to her?' He wondered.

******

As they had left from the association, Sameer had proposed to have dinner in a nearby restaurant to which the rest of them had complied.

The car zoomed past the busy roads of Mumbai owing to the evening rush hour. After bidding goodbye to Kabir and Anika post the lavish dinner, they had gotten into their respective cars parting their ways. Sameer had noticed Naina's dull behaviour in the restaurant too which had left him perplexed. The jokes and the banters too couldn't deviate her as she had just passed a smile. When asked about it she had politely told them that she was feeling tired after such a long day.

But he knew she was not. It was clearly observable by the way she would zone out amidst any conversation. The last as he had seen, she was fine when he had come back to hand in his things before rushing back to play. It was only after the match had he noted the shift in her mood. Did something happen in between?

After giving much thought to it, he settled on asking her about it. He glanced at her still busy in her own world, looking outside the window. She was too quiet compared to her normal self.

"Naina, are you okay?" He tried to keep his tone normal. He was hoping for an answer but all he received was "Hmm."

He again tried, "Tum wahan Mehak ke sath toh thik thi...Kuch hua kya uske baad?"

"Aap jaante hain uske baare mein?" Her words came out like a whisper gaining his full attention now.

"Haan pata hai. Par kya hua?" He asked slowing down a little.

Not saying anything for a full minute, she sighed heavily, "Koi apne hi bachon ke saath aisa kaise kar sakta hai. Maa-baap toh bachon ka iklauta support hote hain..." Her voice wavered in the end.

He was bewildered to see her like this. Something was definitely wrong. Why was she being so affected by it?

"Naina kya hua hai? Tum itna pareshan kyu ho rahi ho? Jahan tak mujhe pata hai yeh sirf Mehak ke wajah se nahi hai." He asked gently.

There was a pregnant pause and then she finally opened her mouth to say, "Mere Mummy Papa ko bhi ek beta chahiye tha...Unhone kabhi mujhe apni beti ki tarah treat nahi kiya..." Turning his face towards her, he found her still looking outside the window. He knew she was touching a sensitive topic, something which wasn't easy for her to tell him. Waiting for her to continue, he kept his focus on driving.

"Aaj Mehak mein maine khud ko dekha. Farak bas itna tha ki mere parents ne mujhe kisi orphanage mein nahi chhoda, par kya farak padta hai...Woh itni chhoti si umar mein itni mature hai, itni strong hai, aur main...main abhi tak usse ubhar hi nahi paa rahi hu..." She took a deep breath and wiped her tears which had trickled down her cheeks while saying that.

She sniffed and pinched the bridge of her nose closing her eyes tightly, "I am sorry. Pata nhi kya ho gaya hai aaj..." At this moment, all she felt was hate for herself for displaying herself weak and helpless and that too again in front of him.

He could understand her state of mind. For a strong-headed person like her, showing her vulnerable side wasn't in her nature. He knew there was more to be told but she was visibly refraining from it and he was okay with it. It was more than enough that at least she shared something with him and at this moment, she needed motivation and support. The values he had acquired from Nanaji had always taught him to respect other people's emotions and not to judge them by any means.

Checking around, he made sure that the road was not much crowded before pulling up the car at the side. She looked outside to see why he had stopped on this vacant road but was unable to find the reason.

Turning off the ignition, he turned towards her and took his handkerchief out of his pocket. Offering it to her, he said softly, "Tum sorry kyu bol rahi ho? Main tumhe judge toh nahi kar raha na?" She gazed at the hanky before taking it silently. Wiping her tears, she looked down avoiding his gaze, just as he expected.

He kept looking at her for a few seconds before asking, "Tumhe woh din yaad hai, jab tumhara interview hua tha humari company mein?"

She nodded her head uncertainly since this topic appeared out of context right now. That day had been full of anxiety for her. When she had come to know that she had been selected, she was on cloud nine. The board members including him had praised her for her immense confidence and positive attitude. Only if they knew about the tornado whirling inside her.

"Ek CEO hone ke naate meri responsibility hai apni company mein best and skilled employees ko kaam par rakha jaaye. Aur tum...you have always been one of the best workers." This sudden remark of appreciation from his side set her thinking.

He continued, "Dekho Naina, main abhi bhi tumhare baare mein puri tarah nahi janta hun, par itna toh keh hi sakta hu ki tum kamzor nahi ho. Not according to me. Tumne hi bataya tha ki tum isse pehle akele rehti thi aur saath saath job bhi sambhalti thi na. Just look at yourself, independent ho, confident ho. Yeh kamzor hone ki nishani toh nahi hai." Whatever he said, he literally meant every word of it.

She sat staring at his face. How did he come to know about her inner turmoil? Was it so prominent? His words caused a fluttering in her heart. Those weird sensations returned back. No one had ever said anything like that to her.

All of a sudden, his expressions toughened and said in a thick voice, "Mere bhi apni mummy ke saath kuch ache relations nahi rahe hain...Ab toh koi contact bhi nahi hai unse..." His fingers curled up in a tight fist as if he was trying to keep himself steady from the invasion of those bitter memories in his mind.

"Par pata hai Nanu ne mujhe humesha ek hi baat sikhayi hai, tum purani baaton ko jitna kaske pakdoge na, woh utni hi pareshani aur dard deti hain. Tumhare har kaam mein rukawat daalengi. Isse achha toh unhe chhod dena chaahiye. Sukoon milta hai. Agar maine bhi unn sab baaton ko peeche nahi chhoda hota toh aaj main iss mukaam pe nahi pohochta. Main jaanta hun aasaan nahi hai. Woh yaadein kahin na kahin humare andar hi reh jaati hain aur fir kabhi bhi aake humein kamzor banane ki koshish karti hain. Mere saath bhi hota hai. Par uss waqt sirf ek cheez humari help karti hai, himmat. Aur woh toh tum pakka dikha sakti ho." He said calmly.

She keenly listened to his each and every word. Her eyes that were full of tears a few minutes ago, were now filled up with esteem for him. The fact that he didn't show any pity and rather chose to talk to her added more to it. Deep down, she actually needed someone to her bring her back on track when she was on the verge of losing against the negativity.

"Thank you." She finally replied with a lighthearted smile.

"Isme thank you ki koi baat nahi hai. Humara relation jo bhi ho, ek dusre ki help toh karni hi chahiye." He said igniting the engine again.

"Haanji." She said. His presence was no more making her uncomfortable as it used to two months ago. It was soothing in its own way.

As he drove back to the road, he thought, she had really suffered a lot. Not getting the love and attention of your parents is the worst nightmare for a child. He was aware of the anguish which followed after that. And for someone who had been experiencing it from a young age, the pain is extremely intense.

"Dekha jaaye toh hum dono ko hi apne mummy papa ka pyaar puri tarah nahi mila hai. Humare jo dard hai na, woh same to same hain." He said keeping his gaze still on the road.

The faint smile which hadn't come off till now vanished in a jiffy. He was right. They both shared the same intensity of pain. The realisation of what he just shared hit her. It was the first time he had actually spoken of something from his past. Nanu always used to indicate her about the harsh history of his life. It would have been something dreadful which had turned him to this person, who despised relationships and bonds. She didn't have any idea what happened with his mother and him, but she was willing to wait for him till he would himself tell her someday. The suffering and agony which he had gotten trapped inside him required to be wiped out. And when that day would come, she won't be backing off from providing her support. She would be by his side.

Empathy. It is defined as the ability to 'feel with' another person, to identify with them and sense what they're experiencing. When you experience this state of connection with another person, the separateness between you and the other person fades away. They had just experienced the beginning of it.

These three days had been game-changing for their relationship. A connection had developed between them, a Dard Ka Rishta. A bond of trust had been established that had made them share a part of themselves which they had kept hidden from the outer world with each other.

Perhaps, they had complied to what Janki dadi had said earlier, inadvertently. Their hearts thudded with the anticipation of what the future held for them.

____________________________________________________

7000+ words...Goddd...the toughest one till now. This is the foremost reason why it took me so long to post this update. I am sorry for messing up this time. I don't know what went wrong with my Wattpad app. Never have I ever faced this much trouble in writing and posting an update.
Anyways, it' here now.

I was planning to split this chapter into two parts but it might have hampered the flow. I hope I didn't rush it.

Drop your views for sure.
And thank you so much for being so patient.

Lots of love, Sim❣

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

837 68 10
The love story of Samaina ๐Ÿ’—
16.7K 2.1K 49
Sameer Maheshwari, CEO of Maheshwari Industries, living With his Nanu in Ahmadabad is a very charming, Lovable person. His three lifelines are Nanu...
2.2K 266 5
Hello friends... I'm back with Samaina short story... What happens when Sameer doesn't return to Ahmedabad after Daadi tells him that he is cursed (m...
17.3K 2.1K 35
Sameer, a former state level cricketer has now left cricket and is engrossed in drinking and smoking. He deteriorated his career and life as he lost...