Re:Zero Hour

By Sora101Ven

**Story Includes Original Artwork!** --- AU-Fiction. Forgetting his most recent meeting with Echidna, Subaru... More

Chapter One: I Love You! - I'm Sorry!
Chapter Two: Authority
Chapter Three: Reward
Chapter Five: Trust
Chapter Six: Means
Chapter Seven: Forgiveness
Chapter Eight: Meili
Chapter Nine: Counter-Attack (Part One)
Chapter Ten: Counter-Attack (Part Two)

Chapter Four: Hate

7.3K 126 106
By Sora101Ven

(Author's Note: This story is being dual-uploaded here, and on Fanfiction.net! Artwork and additional media will be presented in this story to add towards its presentation. If you like the story, please continue supporting it by favoriting and following me!)

"Mmn... huh...?"

Subaru found himself waking up inside his room, earlier than expected. The windows were still dark, but not pitch black. If he had to make a guess, it was... Five in the morning?

"Early again... It's like I'm being woken up on purpose..." Subaru recalls something similar in his first lifetime. Back then, he woke up in this room instead of going back to zero like he thought.

He explored the mansion before everyone woke up last time. It was also when he stumbled across...

"...Well, I'm up now. Guess I should visit her." Subaru settled on getting out of bed—

"Nnn... Su... baru..." An arm enwrapped around his waist, before he could leave. His face grew rosy, as he looked toward the source: Satella, who was still very much asleep.

"C'mon... let me go, just for a bit, Satella-tan..." he whispered quietly, but just loud enough for her to hear.

Satella, despite being unconscious, loosened her grip. She had a sad smile on her face, "O... kay... Love... You..." she spoke between breaths.

"Seriously? This girl..." Subaru was baffled at her devotion, petting her hair just for a bit.

She giggled softly. Notes on Subaru's heart-strings —

Subaru shook his head, "Can't be distracted. Gotta trace my steps." he spoke, and kicked out of bed.

Passing a small glance at Satella, he continued to leave the room.

Subaru was playing a finger game with each door he passed, smirking a grin as he did so, "Eeny... Meeny... Miny..."

Target locked. Grabbing the handles of a door Subaru fancied, he pushed forward! —

"Moe!" Subaru exclaimed, entering the room!

"How rude, I suppose!" A voice responded back, as Subaru entered the Forbidden Library, greeted by the Guardian, herself: Beatrice.

"Yelling in the library is forbidden, I suppose. I care not if you're a guest in this mansion, I will personally escort you out with force." Beatrice's tone was sharp, as ruthless as ever.

And yet, Subaru was just happy to hear a familiar voice.

"Whoops, my bad! Could've sworn this was the restroom!" Subaru cracked a joke, acting surprised, before passing a glance at her,

"Besides, isn't someone like you way too young to being staying up this late? Little girls should be asleep at this hour, right?"

The joke got right under Beatrice's skin, as planned.

"This noisy human...!" Beatrice shut the book she was reading, and jumped out of her seat, "You got a mouth on you, I suppose, but do you have ears?"

She placed a hand on her chest, "My name is Beatrice, Guardian of Roswaal's Forbidden Library. I'm over four-hundred years old, so making those incorrect comments of yours is considered foul manners, I suppose!"

"Four-Hundred Years old..." Subaru dropped a fist on his palm, in an 'I Got It!' gesture,

"So a Loli-Grandma, then!?"

"I'm no grandma! And what's this 'Loli' name you're tossing out, I wonder!?" Beatrice exclaims, before walking to him, with an intense look on her face.

"It's just a word from my homeland! Anyway, my name is —" Subaru noticed her reach out to him, and immediately knew what's up, "—Hey! Could you wait for me to introduce myself before you suck my mana dry!?" he cried out.

Beatrice clicked her tongue, "For a human, you got some wits on you, I suppose." she muttered, before placing her hands on her hips,

"Fine. It's only common courteously, I suppose. Though will I listen to your introduction, I wonder?"

Beatrice, musing to herself, failed to notice Subaru smiling at her.

'Even at the very beginning, Beako is still Beako.' Subaru nodded to himself.

"Right! —" Subaru whipped a hand and pointed it straight up, posing while smiling a wide grin, "My name is Natsuki Subaru! I love homemade meals, long walks on the beach, and Emilia-tan above all else!" he exclaimed.

Beatrice, obviously uninterested, didn't react much to his introduction. Subaru moved his hand toward her, wide open and ready to take hers.

"It's nice to meet you, Beatrice." In a gentle, warm tone, Subaru acknowledges the spirit with a smile, "Let's get along with each other, alright?"

Beatrice, looking at the hand, then back at the owner, stares for a bit. She judges his eyes for a bit.

She found warmth, companionship...

It was almost like he knew her.

She blinked. Then sighed.

It's probably my imagination, I suppose.

Grabbing hold of his hand, she then proceeds to seek out his gate —

"Ga haaah!" Subaru felt the blitzkrieg of his mana being ripped out of his body, and stumbles to his knees, "Ahhh... Haahaah... Still hurts like hell..." Subaru mused to himself, sweating.

"Taking your mana like this, I have made the judgement that you are not an enemy of Roswaal L Mathers, I suppose." She announced, and went back to her spot in the chair she was found on,

"Now, if you have the strength to move, I will ask that you leave this library, I suppose. I have much to catch up on." Beatrice mused, opening back to the chapter she left on in her book.

Subaru, wobbing to his feet, caught a difference already,

"I don't understand... Wouldn't draining my mana... leave me unconscious...?" he asks the spirit.

"Hmm? A reasonable question, I suppose." Beatrice shrugged, before reading as she spoke, "Your gate, even though it's incredibly unpolished, was still sturdy enough to accept me seeking your mana without consequence."

"I suppose whoever sapped your mana before, did so while your gate was untouched, or you had no experience of using mana." Beatrice reasoned, and Subaru nodded his head.

"I guess it beats sleeping on the hard floor." Subaru, nodding to himself, gets up with shaky legs, "Well, guess I'll head out then. It was nice meeting you, Beako!"

"Goodnight, I supp — What's with that name you're giving me, I wonder!?" Beatrice flushes up at the pet name, and Subaru smiles brightly.

"It's your nickname! We're friends now, right?" he laughs, "You drained my mana, after all! It's only fair, I'm sure you agree!"

Waving her goodbye, Subaru leaves the room, the door making a solid *click! *

Beatrice looks to the door for a solid five, ten seconds, before she shakes her head.

"What a weird human, I suppose."

"Ugh... Gotta take care not to knock anything down." Subaru talks to himself, sparing his brain from using any more power as it is, as he wobbles back to his bedroom.

While it was a blessing that Beatrice didn't knock him out right away, just walking back to where he woke up from was a chore. Being drained of mana sapped his strength, making him feel drunk. Miserable even.

Stumbling past another hallway, he failed to see —

"Oof!" Subaru's body crashed into another person, and he rubbed the back of his head, "S-sorry, guess I'm not looking where I'm going." He apologizes, looking to find —

"Subaru-sama," Rem, the blue haired oni, begins to talk, "What are you doing up this early? Breakfast isn't until three hours from now."

Subaru lets out a weak chuckle, "Ah — I was just finding a bathroom to do my business, and I stumbled upon Beatrice. We talked, she drained my mana, we're friends now!"

"Ah. Beatrice." Rem spoke like it was an answer she was familiar with, before bowing,

"If you need assistance, Rem will be glad to escort you back to your room." she offered.

The boy flushed up, shaking his head, "Th-that's not really necessary! I can —"

Subaru, not particularly thinking about which foot came forward, stumbles on himself and falls ahead—

Rem, with strength not matching her small frame, catches Subaru before he could realize it.

Subaru, taking a moment, just sighs, "On second thought... Rem, I could use your help." he admits defeat.

A small smile graces her features, "Rem would be glad to assist Subaru-sama."

"I must look pretty pathetic, huh?" Subaru laughed at himself, as Rem carried him under his arm, towards his room.

"There's nothing wrong with asking for help, Subaru-sama." Rem replied, passing a glance at the boy, "It'd be more trouble if you knocked down any of Roswaal-sama's paintings or vases, in your state."

"Ah — That would be bad, huh?" he chuckled, "First day and already causing trouble. Way to go, me." he cheered himself on dryly.

"Very much so." Rem concluded, turning to a door, "We're back to your room, Subaru-sama. Do you wish for Rem to escort you inside?"

"N-no, this has been plenty help," Subaru peels himself off of the maid, and smiles at her, "Thanks, Rem. I'll see you in the morning."

"Very well. Goodnight." Rem bows as he closes the door.

Seeing a job well done, Rem continues to walk toward a direction in the mansion.

As she walks away, her hand hovers over her face...

And clenches her nose.

Her eyes had a tint of disgust, as she associated the smell with one thing.

'...The Smell of the Witch...'

Subaru, after falling asleep for a second time, wordlessly wakes up after feeling the sun bounce off his face.

"Ah... Nee-sama, it looks like our guest is awake." The voice of Rem, from the other side of the room.

"Rem, Rem, indeed. It appears Barusu has finally woken up." The voice of Ram, neutral with a bit of bite toward the end.

"Alright, alright." Subaru begins to sit upright, with an awkward smile, "I know this song and dance already... Good morning, Ram. Rem." he looks towards his left and, expectantly, sees the two maids linked hand-in-hand.

"Good Morning. / Good Morning." Like stereo, the two maids sound off their greet, much to Subaru's joy.

"Thanks for waking me up, you two. In a bed like this, I could probably sleep in it all day." Subaru, playing off the idea that it's his first time arriving here, says this to the twin maids.

"Nee-sama, Nee-sama, our guest would have been in trouble it seems, if we hadn't woken him up before Roswaal-sama returned home." Rem turns to her dear sister, and she nods.

"Rem, Rem, it appears so. Barusu may infact be a deadbeat, exercising such poor manners." Ram's bite was as harsh as ever. Subaru gives a choked laugh.

"Well, take my compliment and throw it back at me, then. I see how it is." Subaru looks towards Rem, "Also, what's with this 'guest' stuff? You know my name by now, right?"

"You are correct. My deepest apologies, Subaru-sama." Rem bows while she says this.

"Glad to hear it. And none of this 'sama' stuff, either! Just my name — or better yet, 'Subaru-kun' would be even better!" Subaru pumps up a fist, saying this.

"Then..." Rem blinks at his antics, before speaking once again, "Subaru... kun?"

"Ah..." Subaru felt a wave of nostalgia, hearing Rem say his name like that. How long has it been, since he heard those words from Rem...?

Even if they lack the usual compassion his Rem once had, just to hear her say that... was —

"Pardon my intrusion." A new voice, Emilia, sounded forward as she walked in to Subaru's room, in her casual wear, "Ah! — Subaru, you're awake! Good Morning!"

"M-Morning, Emilia-tan!" Subaru replies immediately, cutting him away from his trance, "Get some rest? Nobody steal your Insignia or anything, right?"

"Th-that joke is in poor taste!" Emilia pouted, crossing her arms, "Also, are you finally going to tell me what this 'tan' thing is? You could be calling me something mean, and I wouldn't know it."

"Nee-sama, Nee-sama, Subaru-tan is calling Emilia-sama names under her nose. How shameful." Rem continues to talk to her sister.

"Rem, Rem, Barusu-tan should know better, especially since he's still in bed." Ram stared down the boy, as he sighs.

"...Both of you ruined my token of affection. I hope you two are proud." Subaru shuffles the blankets, "But you're right, I should probably get out of —"

A problem came up. A warm, soft, and cute problem, but a problem nonetheless.

Satella claimed his entire right side for his own. His arm was her pillow, and his leg was a cushion for two of her own.

He was stuck, in the same room as Emilia and the maids.

"...On second thought..." Subaru begins, smiling apologetically towards Emilia, "Can you give me... five minutes to get ready?"

"Huh? But why? Is there something wrong?" Emilia cocks her head, much to the chagrin of Subaru.

"Yes —I-I mean, no!" Subaru shakes his only free hand, "I'm just... not ready to get out of bed yet! But I will, in five minutes, tops!"

"Nee-sama, nee-sama... could it be...?" Rem quietly asks her sister, ambigulously.

"Rem, Rem, it appears so." Ram, nodding once, turns over to Emilia, "Emilia-sama, it would be wise to heed Barusu's request."

"But why? Is there something wrong?" Emilia asks, genuinely confused.

"Barusu, our guest," Ram passes a glance at Subaru, and he blinks, "Appears to have a case of Morning Wood."

"Wha —" Subaru's face explodes with heat, burning a hot red, "That's...! I'm not...!"

"'Morning Wood?'" Emilia repeats, innocent as a newborn, "Is that an illness?"

"Very much so. Let us leave Barusu alone, for now." Escorting Emilia out, Ram leaves the room with Rem following right behind her.

Before Subaru could say anything, the door closes with a soft *Click!*

"..." Subaru, speechless, clenches his fists in fury.

["That little, rotten, shoe-shining devil!"] Subaru grits his teeth, as wild embarrassment flew around him, ["Saying something like that...! Thank goodness Emilia-tan doesn't know what that means. I hope she doesn't ask Puck!"]

"Mmmn..." Satella stirs awake, hearing her beloved vent in their link, and rises up, rubbing her eyes, "Is it morning, already...?"

["Morning, Satella-tan."] Subaru smiles at her, ["Sleep well?"]

["Very well."] She smiles back, with rosy cheeks, ["Haven't had dreams like this in years. It's... refreshing~!"]

["That's good. Right now, Emilia-tan and the others are outside."] Subaru's face turned serious, ["From here on out, it's a new checkpoint. Let's do our best to reach the next one, okay?"]

["Mmhm!"] she nods, before smiling a cocky grin, ["With the two of us, together, this'll be a piece of cake!"]

["That's the spirit!"] With those words, Subaru throws the blanket off, and kicks himself in gear.

Operation: "Make friends with everyone!" has begun!

"You are tru~uly a strange, young man." Roswall L. Mathers says this to Subaru, as the residence of the Roswaal Mansion sit together for lunch.

Subaru, lowing his spoon full of soup, looks at Roswaal with curiosity, "How so?"

Subaru took part in this conversation one too many times. He let the man of the household explain Lugunica's situation over and over, and followed with details regarding Emilia's potential as a candidate.

After seeing all the candidates himself, and partaking in much, much more important things like the Great Whale Hunt, it wasn't wrong for Subaru to put the Royal Selection in the bottom of his bucket list.

He had more pressing matters —

["Aah — Noo~! I wanted to taste it again!"] Satella mewled next to him, with watery eyes. Sharing the link they have, it was the first time in 400 years that Satella got to experience home-cooked meals.

It was a pleasantry that she missed. A lot.

["One sec, Satella-tan. Roswaal's on to me, I think."] Subaru requests the witch to steel her nerves, as he looks at Roswaal with a serious look.

"Well, for starters, you say you are from another country, yet you know of Lugunica's current issues surpri~isingly well," Roswaal talks, and Subaru nods at his statements.

"Of course. It's not really a secret that this place has got issues, but..." He shrugs, talking as he knows places outside of Lugunica, "Every country has their own problems. Some even more so than others."

"Ri~ight, you are!" Roswaal gives Subaru a wide smile, as he continues talking, "However, you don't seem surprised that a potential ruler of Lugunica is sitting right next to you?"

Subaru, looking to see Emilia giving him a gentle smile, could only smile right back, "I mean... I figured, she was part of the Royal Selection, given the Insignia we looked for all day yesterday." he gave a short laugh after saying this,

"If you're asking if I think of her differently, I really have to say... not really?" he grins at Emilia, "Emilia-tan being a possible queen is just another bulletmark on the big list of why she's so special."

"...Queen's a bit much..." Emilia blushes, scratching her cheek, "If I do become ruler, I'd want everyone to be equal, including myself. I wouldn't want to push a title like 'ruler' on anyone."

"That, I can respect, Emilia-tan." Quick on the dot, he gives a bright smile of approval, "I'd be glad to fight for a cause like that."

"Really...?" Emilia, listening to the boy's words, felt her own spirit warm up. She smiles back at him, appreciating his vote of confidence —

"A—hem." Calling attention back to himself, Subaru looks at the smiling face of Roswaal, "Seeing your dedication to Emilia, I can understa~and your decision to part with your precious Metia, trading it for her Royal Insignia back."

"Therefore!" Roswaal opens his arms wide, "Because of your sacrifice, I am willing to grant you one wish! A~Anything that is within my ability to give, it shall be yours."

Subaru smiles. It was a question he had been asked before, many times in fact.

It was a good thing he knew the right answer.

"'Anything' you say? Very well then!" Standing up, he places his palms on the table, eyeing up Roswaal,

"Hire me to work for you, in this Mansion!"

Subaru follows the dance of his past life, knowing it'll work out in his favor!

Finishing up lunch, Subaru is shown around the mansion, and given attire fitting a butler... well, half an outfit, as Subaru couldn't fit in any of their clothes.

["It's the same. It has to be."] Subaru thinks, as he is measured by Rem for his tailored outfit.

["You think so?"] Satella watches, looking at all the fancy dresses hung up in the closet. Subaru grins.

["I know so."] Subaru thinks firmly, ["I earn the trust of the people here, snuff out the curse when I get it from that demon-puppy, and save the kids when they get captured!"] he lays out the plan, but begins thinking,

[...Or would it be easier, if I tell the villagers the puppy is actually a demon? Could I stop the kids from being kidnapped?"] He lightly shakes his head, ["No, I can't diverge too much from the past. It has to be one-to-one, or else I'll..."]

Subaru stops his thoughts, and notices something up.

He looks behind him, at Rem, who was almost frozen.

"...Rem? You alright, you've been measuring my chest for a while?" he asks, snapping Rem back into attention.

"It's nothing." Rem relinquishes her measuring tape, and walks away from him, "We'll finish making an outfit for you sometime tonight. For now, just wear what you have."

"Okay. Sounds good." Subaru nods, and Rem takes that as her cue to leave. Subaru turns to Satella, who watches with confusion.

["Was that supposed to happen?"] she asks.

Subaru shakes his head, ["No. Rem hasn't freezed up like that before."]

[...Do you think she can smell the miasma?"] After a pause, Satella offers the question. Subaru freezes up.

["...She can."] He bites his lip, ["Being that close to me, she definitely got a good sniff in... I hope I haven't been figured out, already..."]

["Subaru-kun..."] Satella reaches out and grabs his hand, ["Don't forget, if she does fight you, you can defend yourself this time!"]

Pushing this factoid, Subaru nods, ["Right. If it comes down to that, I'll make sure she doesn't go too far."]

Fighting Rem... it was something he never wished would happen. But if it does... then...

"For someone as lazy as you, you do a good job washing those dishes." Ram mused, as Subaru burned through the glasses and silverware with expertise.

"Hmph! Hopefully it'll teach you a lesson in judging a book by its cover!" Pointing a fork at her, Subaru cocks a grin, before returning to his work, "I was a butler at my last job, too. Stuff like this comes natural for me, now!"

Hey, working for Roswaal for almost a month had ironed out a lot of issues he had, compared to when he first started the job —

"Meh. Beginner's luck." Ram waved it off, walking away to handle her own set of duties.

"Don't you downplay my accomplishments, you little devil!" Subaru complained, before blinking, "Ah... we're running out of dish soap."

"Oh? You should find some in the bottom-left cabinet —" Ram, as she says this, notices Subaru already fetching another bottle before she could finish, "...How did you know where to look?"

"Oh! Call it, uh..." Smiling a bright, toothy smile, Subaru replied, "A butler's intuition!"

"..." Ram stared at him, before shaking her head, "What a bizarre boy you are..."

"Hey, who're you calling 'boy'!? I'm probably older than you, you know!" Subaru roared back, his pride botched by a few words.

A few moments have passed, and Subaru was already carrying out his next task. However, Ram stays behind and looks at his handiwork with the dishes.

A pinch of anxiety burns in Ram, as she looks at Subaru's finished job, "He says he's had experience being a butler, but... this is..."

Roswaal's preference with how the dishes are organized, from the smallest knife and fork, to the tools of the kitchen, were all organized to a perfect 'T'.

Ram hadn't mentioned anything regarding the smaller details of the job; This was his first day, after all... Yet, something like this, was too perfect for somebody on their first few hours.

Something smelled fishy...

"Is there something wrong, Nee-sama?" Ram turns to find her sister Rem, looking at her with concerned eyes.

"...I don't know." Ram speaks, getting her sister's full attention, "Barusu's performance so far is... It's uncanny."

With a hand under her chin, thinking, she continues, "He's working like Frederica, after a few month's practice... Yet I'm certain Roswaal never employed this boy before."

"I caught him, snooping around last night." Sharply, Rem interjects with her own thoughts, "He 'guised it as a bathroom break, but... I've had my own suspicions about him since then."

"...I see..." Ram brushes her dress, and turns to the exit, "I shall continue doing what Roswaal wishes of me, and teach what I know to Barusu. Refrain from making any decisions until then, Rem."

She worded the last of her request in a specific fashion. Ram, looking at her sister, knew her intentions.

"I understand." Rem bows to her own flesh and blood, as Ram leaves the room.

Her eyes take on a darker tone. Her purpose made clear.

Starting now... Natsuki Subaru was a threat to their livelihood.

"Aa~ah..." Subaru lays down on the soft grass, looking at the sunset, "After a day of hard work, this sure hits the spot..."

["Don't mind if I do..."] Subaru smiles, feeling the Witch of Envy sit close by, brushing shoulder-to-shoulder, ["It's a weird feeling, being tired without doing anything. Guess I made this link a bit too strong, huh?"] she laughs.

["About that, Satella,"] Subaru passes her a worried glance, ["With this link, do you feel everything? Like, pain and stuff, too?"] he asks.

Satella nods, ["I do. I felt it wouldn't be fair if I didn't share everything you experience. You might've considered me a coward, had I avoided the pain and sorrow you feel at any moment."]

Satella, explaining her reasoning, gives a bright smile to Subaru, ["I don't want you to carry your burdens by yourself, anymore! I'm here now, let me help!"]

Subaru blushes, but he still felt concern, ["But... what happens if I need to —"]

"Subaru!" He doesn't finish his thought, as he looks to find Emilia calling his name, "Looks like you finished getting a tour around the place. Sorry if Ram ran you like crazy!"

"What — No, it's fine. She did a good job teaching me everything." Subaru waves a hand, passing off the comment, gives her a smile, "Don't worry 'bout me. How's your studies coming along?"

"Ah... It's all a bit confusing, but I'm working on it!" Emilia scratches her cheek and admits honestly, "I absolutely don't want to screw this up. I have to learn as much as I can, to be a great ruler someday!"

["She's a bit more honest with me than before."] Subaru thinks, and Satella nods.

["Well, you keep saying all the right things, it's bound to happen."] Satella giggles next to him.

"Mmhmm! That's the spirit, Emilia-tan!" Subaru thumbs her up, before standing up, "By the way, where's Puck? He take a vacation or something?"

"Spirits can't take vacations, blockhead!" Puck's voice came from the balcony of the mansion, as Subaru looks up to find him and Beatrice on the viewing, "We work hard, all day, every day! — Ah, Betty, that's the spot... just a bit longer...!"

Beatrice was scratching the spirit cat's ear with a smile, enjoying the presence of her 'Bubby.' Subaru laughs at the sight.

"Frankly, if you call that working, then I'm a bit jealous." Subaru shrugs, "But hey, who am I to judge? After all, 'All work and no play makes Puck a dull boy.'"

Subaru speaks nonchalantly, and Puck raises an eyebrow, "Just who're you calling 'boy?' I'm over 400 years old, you know?"

"Just a saying in my homeland. Don't get your fur all riled up, Puck." Subaru chuckles. Emilia glows at him.

"Ah — You never did mention where you came from, Subaru! Could you tell me more about your homeland?" Emilia asks with curiosity, and Subaru smiles.

"Sure! I think it could help with your studies, too; You want to make everyone equal, right?" Subaru places a hand on his chest, and smiles proudly, "In my country of Japan, we've had that way of government running for ages! It hasn't failed us yet!"

"...Really!?" Emilia, hearing that her way of ruling was possible, was all ears, "Tell me more, Subaru!"

"Well, where do I begin..." Subaru crosses his arms and readies the least-romantic conversation with Emilia yet.

However, he knew it'll all come around in due time. Emilia trusting Subaru was on the very top of his list. If she wanted to become Queen of Lugunica, he was there to support her, with every step they take.

The sky was a dim red, as the Sun had set over the horizon. Subaru had taken the time to talk about his home, Japan, and how they ran things to the best of his ability.

Subaru was no politician, so his knowledge was pretty straight-laced and simple, but Emilia lapped it up and took the knowledge to heart.

The two of them (Three, counting Satella, but Emilia didn't know that) were walking in the hallways, finishing their talk with a summary of everything.

"...That's about just as much as I know." Subaru gives a gentle smile, looking exhausted, "I hope this helps you out with your goal, Emilia-tan."

"It will. Subaru, thank you." Emilia genuinely thanks the boy, earning a blush from him as she holds her chest, "I've had my doubts, but now... Now, I know my dream can be attainable. This is a huge weight off my shoulders."

"I'm... glad to hear it, Emilia-tan..." Subaru scratches his cheek, feeling all fuzzy.

["...You better be giving me some attention tonight, too..."] Satella mutters, obviously jealous. The boy was glued to Emilia for hours! She wanted some of that, too, damnit!

["Sorry, Satella-tan... I'll make it up to you, I promise."] Subaru, hearing her thoughts, reassures the Witch.

He looks in front of him, noticing Rem walking down the opposite way. He steps aside, while smiling at Rem, "Hey Rem! I'm looking forward to working with you tomorrow!" he cheers.

Rem, saying nothing, nods and walks past him, getting Subaru's attention.

"Rem...?" he watches her continue down the hallway, and holds a bit of concern.

"Is she mad?" Emilia also notices this, looking at her retreating figure as well.

"I don't know. I thought I did a pretty good job." Subaru shakes his head, genuinely confused.

"Guess that means she'll run you ragged tomorrow, huh?" Emilia cracks a joke, and Subaru gives an awkward smile.

"I just can't win, huh? Oh well, I'll be fine." Subaru reassures the half-elf. She smiles.

"I'll work just as hard tomorrow, too! Let's both do our best, okay?" Emilia roots for them, and Subaru grins.

"You bet! We can talk about more pleasant stuff tomorrow, as a reward!" Subaru offers the suggestion, and Emilia nods.

"I'll look forward to it! Goodnight, Subaru-kun!" Emilia waves at him, and Subaru catches the honorific.

"Ah...! You bet, Emilia-tan!" he genuinely smiles, and waves her off.

With Emilia retreating to her room, Subaru couldn't contain his excitement!

["Alriiiight! This is the most progress I made with her yet! —"] Subaru cheers in his head, but looks towards Satella.

["...Subaru."] Satella kept her gaze behind him, with an intense look. Hearing her serious tone, Subaru follows her gaze behind him —

In a short distance away, Rem was staring back.

A jolt of surprise came to him. Thinking about it, he was about to say her name —

But then. He looks at her eyes.

Cold.

Void of Emotion.

Just like back then.

["We should go."] Satella looks to him. Subaru wordlessly agrees, and starts to head towards his room.

["...Satella..."] Subaru's voice in his head was weak. He was gritting his teeth.

["I know..."] Satella reassures him, ["We'll be fine. Just be ready."]

["...Ready..."] Subaru's heart turned icy, filling with anxiety.

Mustering whatever courage he had, his thoughts of tomorrow came to a halt.

Today. The first day on the job.

...Rem was coming to kill him...

Subaru sat on the edge of the bed, wearing his usual outfit. He was jumping his knee over and over again, stressing over the info he had just found out, not even an hour ago.

His thoughts were jumbled, his heart was a mess. How did she know? Why is this happening now!?

Why does he have to fight Rem, of all people?

["Subaru-kun... relax..."] Satella whispers sweet nothings into his ear, doing a number to ease his concern, ["Just remember what I taught you, with Elsa. It'll be fine."]

Right... Elsa was tough opponent, too, and he took her down with ease. Rem should be no different.

It'll be okay. Just remember the four steps. Neck, Squeeze, Arms, Legs... Neck, Squeeze —

*Click...*

Subaru's thought grinded to a halt, as the door opened.

*Ching — Ching-clack...* —Rem's Morningstar had made a small noise.

"..." Rem was quiet, as both of them looked at each other. Subaru's despair grew with every second,

"...You knew..." she spoke, null of emotion.

"...Yeah..." Subaru's voice was frail, lacking spirit. He had bags in his eyes,

"...Yeah... I knew..." he was quiet.

"..." Rem gave a small sigh,

"...This is... unfortunate..." she whispers.

"...Rem..." he gulped, before turning to the window, "...If we're doing this... then... outside..."

He motioned out the window. Rem's stare was icy.

"...Very well..." Rem nodded, heeding his request, before moving aside, allowing him exit, "...Make any wrong move, I'll consider it a threat..."

Rem's eyes narrowed, "...Subaru..."

Subaru, with shaky legs, stood up, "Right... Thank you..." he thanked his to-be killer.

Subaru wanted to puke.

Taking a step into the thicket of the forest, he heard Rem, "That's far enough." she spoke.

Gripping his heart, her voice had an effect on him. He turned to meet her, head-on, "...Right."

"..." Rem's silence scared him.

This girl, who had run his heart wild over and over again, had him by the claw and spared no mercy.

"...Rem... Why are you doing this...?" Subaru asked, begging to know the reason for her dubious intent.

"...Why, you ask..." Rem gives a small smile, confusing the boy —

["Subaru-kun!"] Satella's voice came immediately, and he snapped into attention —

Next to him, Satella used one of his Unseen Hands to catch a fast throw of Rem's Morningstar.

Subaru, seeing proof of her vindication, met Rem's stare head on, "Answer me... Rem!"

"So you can fight..." Rem muttered, whipping the chain backward to recall her weapon, "I wanted to give you a painless death, but if you refuse to accept my kindness, then —"

"Rem, answer me! ! !" Subaru's shout was sharp, as tears welled in his eyes, "I've only been here for one day! One! Day! I have done nothing to deserve this!"

"You..." Rem's voice was still cold, but her eyes were shaky, "...Have no right for forgiveness."

Whipping her chain around for a low sweep, Subaru took initiative and blocked it with an Unseen Hand. —

Rem charges at him, flipping around with the Morningstar in tow, "Do not resist!" she exclaims, throwing the weapon.

"I will resist. I don't want to die!"Subaru grabs the Morningstar with another Unseen Hand, and whips Rem off of it! He proceeds to hold it up above him, away from Rem's grasp.

Flying backward, Rem gracefully lands on her feet, stripped of her weapon for removing what she considers a threat, "You have no say in this matter..."

A pink spark flashes on her forehead, and Subaru catches this, "...You damn Witch Cultist...!"

More pink sparks evolve to something solid —

A horn, protruding out of her forehead. Her proof of being an Oni.

"You're mistaken...! Rem, I'm not part of the Witch Cult! I swear!" Subaru begs the girl for her to listen, but with the transformation complete, her reasoning is disturbed.

"The scent, on your body, is enough proof of your sin...!" Rem growls, her feminine features marred by the intense look on her face, "You and your cult encroach on me and my sister's lives once more. Haven't you taken enough from us!? Why won't all of you just disappear!?"

"...Re...m..." Subaru's thoughts of Rem, the ones in his past life, had no validation here. This Rem was dead-set on killing him! —

["Subaru, get ready!"] Satella pressed next to him, and urged him to focus, ["This is our only shot, right here and now! We're holding her weapon, so you only can grab one spot...!']

["...R... Right...!"] with shaky legs, he prepares to do what he done to Elsa.

"Why won't you all... just... Die! ? !" Rem screams, running in a fit of rage, fast at Subaru.

["Neck!"] Satella urges him, and Subaru moves —

( "...Live... for me..." )

All sound drowns away from Subaru.

As a battered Rem, ruined by Unseen Hand, appears in his head.

( "I... Love... You..." )

"...A...h..." Subaru's body freezes up, as Rem closes in on him —

*KSCHHHH! ! !*

— And cuts off one of his legs.

Subaru, falling forward, feels the pain turn his head upside down.

"Aaahhh..." His body goes into shock

"GYAAAAAAAAHGHHHHH! ? !"

His teeth chatter, as he looks towards his missing ligament. His eyes explode into tears.

"My leg...! My leg! ! !" He cries out in despair, as Rem straightens up, not bothering to look back.

"You will suffer for what you have done..." Rem speaks in monotone, looking at Subaru with death in her eyes.

"Why!? Rem, why!? I... Ghhhhh!" Subaru hisses in his teeth, pain overloading his senses as —

His eyes turn right next to him. He sees Satella... crying...

"Sat... ella..." he whispers aloud, uncaring of the circumstance.

"...It hurts... It hurts, Subaru-kun..." she whispers quietly, tears blazing down her face. Her head starts rocking back and forth,

"It hurts... It hurts... It hurts...! It hurts...! It hurts...! It...! It...!" Subaru watches the witch cope with pain, adding to his own misery —

"...Hate... Hate... Hate... Hate... Hate...!" Something... changes about Satella.

"Hate... you... Hate... you...!" her tone gets dark, his eyes widen.

"...Me...?" Subaru asks pathetically.

"...You... No... Hate... her...!" her voice is harsh, as a smile appears on her face.

She looks towards him —

A brazen smile, and delirious eyes, with tears streaming on her cheek, "I love you."

That smile, flips around, and she bares teeth at Rem, "I hate her...!"

"...Wai —" Subaru looks to the ground as darkness floods over the grass. The same darkness, like back then, when he first met Satella!

"...What the...?" Rem looks to the ground, awfully calm despite being controlled by the Oni's horn —

The shadows pierce through her leg, cutting tendon and bone.

"...Ghhk!?" Rem lets out a sound, her body going into shock.

"Eye for an Eye..." Satella floats towards Rem, the Witch's back slouched, "A leg for a leg..."

"Ahhhaaaah...!" Rem felt her own tears come forward, as she couldn't move her legs, pierced by the darkness. Even if she grabbed it herself, her hands covered in her own blood —

"DON'T YOU DARE IGNORE ME! ! !" Satella screams, and Subaru winces, this being the loudest he's heard Satella —

Hearing a shattering sound, he looks above him to see the Morningstar exploding into shards of metal and iron!

"Hurting my Beloved... You'll pay! You'll pay! You'll pay! ! !" Satella, despite being ethereal, grabs the maid's neck and chokes it!

"Ghh... hkkk...!" Rem clenches her eyes, her breathing being cut off, "Stop... it...!"

— At this point, Subaru didn't know what has become of Satella, but all he could see was Rem being snuffed out, and his body reacted violently.

He needed to save Rem!

"...No...! You can't...!" Subaru wails, trying to 'walk' towards the girls with his arms, "...I don't care what happens to me, but you can't do this...!"

Gritting his teeth, he takes a mouthful of air, and begs with his heart! —

"Don't do this! I'm begging you! Don't kill Rem, Satella! ! !"

Something changes, as his heart glows violently, along with Satella's.

"Ghhk!" Satella grits her teeth, as her body is violently forced away from the maid, her own heart glowing, "This... damn... contract...!"

Subaru hurries up, and approaches Rem.

"Rem, are you alright?" Despite being the one hunted by the girl, Subaru's heart bled for the maid, "Please tell me you're alright! —"

"Stay away from me!" Rem screams at the boy, stopping him on the spot, "Don't get closer! I will kill you — I swear it!"

"...Rem...!" Subaru whispers, pathetically.

"My leg... is..." Rem mutters, "I can't heal my leg, like this... I can't fix it... I can't... I..."

She trembles, "I'm sorry, Nee-sama, Roswaal-sama...! I can't be of any service to you like this...!"

"That's not true! Beatrice, she can —" Subaru tries to support her —

"I told you to stay away from me!" Rem glares at Subaru with unbridled rage, grinding her teeth, "This is your fault, your doing! Stop trying to help me! I —"

"I hate you!" Subaru's voice goes quiet, as Rem says these words with no regret, her horn enveloping her emotions in a spiteful haze, "I hate you! I hate you, Subaru! I wish you were dead!"

"..." Subaru's body goes numb, as Rem cries in the loss of her leg.

"Just leave! Just disappear! I wish you never showed up! I absolutely hate —"

Rem suddenly goes silent, her horn losing color, as her body freezes.

"...Rem...?" Subaru says this so quietly, it's a wonder anyone hears it —

He looks down, to Rem's chest, and notices an Unseen Hand, piercing through.

To confirm his fears, Rem's mouth drools out blood. The Unseen Hand crushed Rem's heart.

His body locks up, "Aaah... Aaaaah...!"

"Do not cry for her!" Subaru turns to Satella, glaring daggers at him, "Don't you dare cry for that monster, Subaru-kun!"

"She... But... The contract...!" his eyes were shaky, confused as to how she ended up killing Rem!?

"I used one of your Hands, Subaru-kun. Someone like her doesn't deserve your mercy!" Satella admits to misguiding Subaru's Authority, to kill the person he considered special.

His authority... killed Rem.

The voice of Betelgeuse, found its way into his head.

( "You killed her...!" )

Subaru's mind goes white.

His eyes gaze to a shard of the Morningstar, and he immediately reaches for it, and grabs it —

The sharpness of the shrapnel cuts his hand, but at this point, he doesn't care —

"You can't!" Unfortunately for him, someone does, as Satella holds down his arm in a frantic attempt to save him, "Not like this! You can't, Subaru-kun! —"

"Let go of me!" Subaru grits his teeth, "I order you to stay away from me, Satella!"

Their hearts shine once more, as Satella is forced off of her beloved. Her eyes shake,

"No... please, no...!" She cries, in tears, "Don't do this, Subaru-kun. I love you! I love you!"

But her cries fall in deaf ears, as Subaru aims the shard of Rem's weapon at his jugular, and —

"Nooooo! ! !" — Cuts it wide open, releasing blood.

"Iikk..." Subaru fights the pain, laying his back on the ground. His eyes fall to Rem, who also laid, dead.

"...I'm... so sorry, Rem..." he whispers, tasting blood in his mouth.

"...Coward...!" he picks up Satella's angry voice, and tries to look at her.

"...Sat...ella?" his voice was a gasp of air.

"Even though we said, 'We'd die fighting with everything we got!'" Satella's voice grew colder and colder, "You coward... you liar...!"

Subaru notices an Unseen Hand move out of his control, turning to him! —

"Wait! Satel —"

The hand goes through his chest, past his ribcage

Cradling his heart, his body goes into shock, once again feeling an icy cold he was familiar with, "—la... No...!"

"I love you. Don't do this to me again, my Beloved." Satella spits this out —

— And Subaru experiences the horrifying feeling of his heart being crushed!

"Gaaah!" Subaru whips up from his bead, his hand immediately clenching his heart.

His body was shaking something fierce, as sweat flooded his skin. He kept breathing, in and out, in and out, almost to validate an organ he thought he lost!

"Nee-sama, Nee-sama!" A voice, Rem, exclaims in the distance, "It seems our guest woke up from a nightmare!"

"Rem, Rem, It appears so. How frightening to witness such a thing up front...!" Another voice, Ram, says this with worry, as Subaru looks at them cuddling each other for support.

"Ram... Rem..." Saying the last name, his thoughts immediately fell on —

( "I hate you!" ) — The latter, confessing her feelings to the boy with a venom he could not comprehend...

"Please... leave..." Subaru's eyes welled with tears, at the memory. The maid sisters looked at him with worry,

"Are you sure, Subaru-sama?" Rem interludes, stepping closer to him, causing him to reel back,

"Please, don't come any closer! I...!" Shocking Rem, Subaru tries to control his voice, but his heart was a wreck...!

However, he knew he couldn't afford Rem to smell the miasma off him, any more than she has already!

"I need time...! Please, I'm begging you!"

"..." Ram looks at him with sad eyes, before nodding, looking at Rem "Very well, Barusu. Rem, let's leave him be."

"But Nee-sama!" Rem, with concern in her voice, something Subaru caught, interjected, "Subaru-sama is scared! He needs—!"

"There's nothing we can do, except leave him be." Ram shakes her head, turning to the door,

"Please know we are expecting Roswaal-sama to return by luncheon. If you wish to stay in this mansion, it's best you come out to meet him then." Ram asks this of Subaru.

"I... Got it..." Subaru weakly nods to Ram's request. Rem walks over to Ram, and they both bow.

"Wish you all the best." they both say, as they leave the room,

Rem looking at him for another second, before following her sister, closing the door.

Subaru, confirming that he was by himself, grits his teeth, and whips off the blanket —

He looks at the Witch, clinging to him.

Satella was still grabbing him by his arm, locking his leg with her own two legs...

But she was shaking. Scared.

Subaru felt his own body tremble — A result of what had happened, before he had died.

"Satella." Subaru calls to the girl, his voice dry of emotion. She tenses, before she releases both of Subaru's limbs.

She begins to sit upright, her face shaded. Subaru, unable to meet her in the eye, keeps looking at her own shaking hands,

"...I..." her voice was weak. Whatever venom she had before, it was clearly gone.

"...I'm..." her hand moves to clench her dress, and she bites her lip.

"...I... can't even..." she whimpers, unable to talk. Subaru sighs.

"...That was... your 'other' self... right?" Subaru asks to confirm, a headache forming in his head.

"...Ye...s." She whispers, scared of answering herself.

"..." Subaru goes quiet, looking at his hand.

It was shaking, hard.

"...I can't even look at you, right now..." he laughs weakly, trying to break even a small smile, "...It's like I'm terrified, even though I know what you're like..." he passes a glance at Satella —

His shaking slows down. His smile dissipates. He watches Satella.

Her eyes were shut, her teeth clenched. Her sobbing gradually picked up pace...

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm — *hic*" Her body jumps a little, and she hugs herself,

"I'm so sorry... Please forgive me... Please... Please...!" her voice was barely a whisper.

The Witch of Envy in Subaru's head was torn in two. Completely split, in fact.

Subaru looks at the girl in front of him, and compares it to the 'other' Satella he met just moments prior.

That Witch was ruthless. Demanding. Cold. She loved Subaru, but it didn't matter what he wanted, she was there to take matters in her own hands.

This girl, Satella... she bled for him. Cried for him. Barely considers her own feelings, and places him in front, above all else...!

Two sides of a coin. They we're completely different! —

And yet...

"Satella... I can't stop shaking..." he says this, knowing she was listening.

Despite having two sides, the coin was still the same...

Subaru's heart feared Satella. At any moment, he knew she could crush his heart in an instant, just like before.

He hated it. Just looking at her, made him feel sick...

He didn't want to say it, but thankfully, Satella understood what she had to do.

"...I'm sorry..." Satella whispers, placing her hands on her lap, and nods, "...I understand..."

Her body slowly shrouds itself in darkness, as tears fell down her cheek, "...I will be with you in spirit..."

"..." Subaru doesn't look to her as she dissipates. He felt useless.

"...I love you, my Beloved..." her voice was fading, as she disappeared.

"...!" Subaru's body reacted. This wasn't right!

"Satella, wait! —"

He turned to find nothing, next to him. Her warm presence had disappeared.

Subaru was silent, as he looked at the spot she sat. Seconds pass, and she does not come back.

Subaru grits his teeth, loneliness creeping into his heart,

"...Why am I so... pathetic...?" he asks to nobody in particular...

Covering his eyes, he tried controlling his raging heart of the emotions they were feeling...

...For the first time, since he returned to Zero, Subaru was now all by himself...

Thank you for giving me the time to re-read and re-watch Arc 2! The delay was a bit more than I expected, but now I'm confident I have what it takes to make Arc 2 unique in Re:Zero Hour.

Things have definitely taken a turn for the worst, but it was going to happen, one way or another: The 'other' Satella bares her fangs starting this chapter! Her appearances in future chapters will have a heavy impact to the story, so brace yourself whenever she comes around!

Finally, Thank you to everyone has helped support this story! Whether by voting or by commenting, just seeing my story get some love and attention is the kind of fuel I need to continue this passion-project! I hope to continue entertaining everyone so long as I write Re:Zero Hour!

Thanks again for reading, see you in the next chapter!

Additional Artwork:

Revised Satella Character Sheet:

Starting in Chapter Five, Artwork of Satella will look more like the appearance in the Anime's Second Season of Re:Zero.

(Satella, as seen in Season 2, Episode 10)

However, the previous chapters will not have their art remade! If you have any opinions about the art, please let me know!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.3K 944 12
A re:zero male reader insert To begin with, no you are not an edgy prick like Sauske, nor are you an uchiha. You just get the power mysteriously. Sub...
6.9K 111 23
In this story it takes place right after season 2 of re:zero After Subaru was hit by Otto knocking some sense into him. Then out of nowhere an unsusp...
10.5K 240 9
You were just normal person with a normal life and you were just suddenly teleported to one of the most dangerous anime worlds with the original body...
7.9K 89 13
This story is probably a unique one. I won't spoil it until you guys decided to read it. LOL