Chapter Nine: Counter-Attack (Part One)

"Don't come any closer, Rem! You'll get hurt!" Subaru screams out, terrified of the thought of Rem getting hurt by him, again!

The boy was kneeling in the middle of carnage; dozens of Mabeasts littered around him, Subaru prayed his message came to the maid in earnest.

She had to stay away. His power, the one the Witch of Envy gave him... It was beyond his control.

Such a petrified exclamation shocks Rem, as she looks towards Subaru, confused and worried.

"Subaru-kun? Are you in danger?" She speaks, concerned. Subaru avoids her gaze.

"...I can't control my power...!" Subaru mutters, pathetically, "I overdid it... all of my Unseen Hands are acting like they're possessed...!"

Subaru turns back to Rem, "Please, just stay away! Go back and find Emilia! I need to handle this... Handle me, by myself!"

Rem's lips fall into a frown, as the situation still didn't make sense to her.

Unseen Hands? Was that the ability he used to defend himself? Why did it sound so... ominous?

However, she can relate to power going out of control... It reminded her of losing herself to her Oni side, after all.

Power that overwhelms even the person holding it... it was scary, losing your sense of self.

...it shouldn't be something that Subaru should deal with, alone.

With that thought, Rem steps even closer, much to the surprise of Subaru.

"Rem, please stop!" Subaru's voice cracks, sprouting tears in his eyes, very much unlike the confident boy Rem was familiar with, "If anything happens to you, I... I...!"

A jarring sight, seeing the once proud man she saw yesterday crumble into the uncertain and terrified person Subaru was now.

However, Rem does not falter.

"Rem is not something so fragile you can break easily, Subaru-kun." Rem assures the boy in her own way, trying to get closer to him, so she could help him address the issue,

"Please, just calm down and let Rem help you!"

"Rem..." Subaru whispers with a dry throat; terrified of the worst, but desperate and hopeful for a solution Rem can provide.

Glad to see that Subaru was willing to listen, Rem smiles back... Then stops and narrows her eyes, as she feels something invade her personal space.

She quickly jumps backwards. Unknowing to her, an Unseen Hand made a swipe towards her, as if it tried to grab her.

However, Subaru saw it — and was quickly reminded of her fate, fighting Betelgeuse without knowing about his power.