The Boy Who Couldn't See: Yea...

By ahoeinplainsight

Harry, now in his third year, was really looking forward to having a normal year. But now there's dementors a... More

Aunt Marge's Big Mistake
The Knight Bus
The Leaky Cauldron
The Dementor
Talons and Tea Leaves
The Boggart in the Wardrobe
The Flight of Beatrice
Grim Defeat

Owl Post

250 9 0
By ahoeinplainsight

TW: i mention and hint at past abuse a few times

//

Harry sighs quietly, turning the page of his book.

It's late, probably nearing midnight, and he's lying on his stomach in his bed and doing homework. And he's happy about it. Ron would be disappointed in him.

His essay is supposed to be about why witch burning was pointless and he's trying to find some information about it in A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot.

He pauses when he finds a paragraph talking about wizards and witches just using a Flame-Freezing charm if they were caught. Slowly and quietly, he reaches under his pillow and grabs his ink bottle and a roll of parchment. He unscrews the lid on the ink bottle and dips his quill in it, beginning to write his essay. Usually, he has Hermione on his left side, telling him when his lines aren't straight anymore or if he's writing words inside of other words, but he doesn't have that currently, so he'll have to find time for her to look his homework over and help him make it look pretty.

He's just happy to be able to do his homework. Of course, Uncle Vernon had locked all of his things up in the cupboard under the stairs, but Harry managed to pick the lock and get his school books while Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley had been outside admiring Uncle Vernon's new company car. And as long as he doesn't leave ink blots on the sheets (not that he would even know if he did), the Dursleys should never find out about his little adventure.

At the moment, his relatives finding out that he's doing magic homework is quite high on his list of worries. They're already in a bad mood with him, he couldn't imagine what might happen if they found out about his homework. And they're only mad because Ron, Harry's amazing, spectacular, pureblood best friend, had called him a week into summer vacation. The summer before, Harry had taught Mr. Weasley how to use a phone, but he supposes Mr. Weasley forgot to mention one small detail, which is that you don't have to yell. Harry, now that he isn't in any immediate danger of death, thinks the entire situation was quite hilarious, if only because it was his uncle who happened to answer the phone and not him, getting the fright of his life in doing so.

Harry had been in the living room when Uncle Vernon had picked up the phone. He was vacuuming.

"Vernon Dursley speaking."

Harry had frozen on the spot, the vacuum whirring away, when he heard Ron's voice.

"HELLO? HELLO? CAN YOU HEAR ME? I — WANT — TO — TALK — TO — HARRY — POTTER!"

Harry couldn't have been more delighted with Ron's inferior knowledge about Muggles but Uncle Vernon shouting back just as loudly had put a slight damper in his amusement.

"WHO IS THIS?" he had roared. "WHO ARE YOU?"

"RON — WEASLEY!" Ron yelled back. Harry had switched off the vacuum and covered his face with his hands. "I'M — A — FRIEND — OF — HARRY'S — FROM — SCHOOL —"

"THERE IS NO HARRY POTTER HERE!" Uncle Vernon roared. "I DON'T KNOW WHAT SCHOOL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! NEVER CONTACT ME AGAIN! DON'T YOU COME NEAR MY FAMILY!"

The fight that followed the phone call had to be one of the worst fights Harry has had with his relatives.

"HOW DARE YOU GIVE THIS NUMBER TO PEOPLE LIKE — PEOPLE LIKE YOU!"

It's been a few weeks since then and Harry has recovered from his panic, thankfully. Ron had obviously realized that he made a mistake, because he didn't call again. Hermione also hasn't called him yet and Harry suspects that Ron might've warned her not to, which is nice but also a pity, because Hermione should know how to properly speak to someone on the phone, being a muggleborn and all.

So, other than the phone call, Harry has not heard from any of his friends in five long weeks. This summer, however, is nothing compared to last summer. The cat flap on Harry's bedroom door and the locks on the outside are the only reminder of what all he went through last summer. Uncle Vernon hadn't replaced the bars on his window either, probably because he was afraid Ron, Fred, and George would show up again and rip them out once more. And — after swearing that he wouldn't send any letters with her — Uncle Vernon had allowed Harry to start letting Hedwig out at night, which is quite the improvement from her imprisonment all last summer.

Harry suddenly lets out a big yawn. He sighs and decides to call it a night and finish his essay about witch burning the next night. He packs all of his things away and hides them under the loose floor under his bed before standing up and stretching.

He shakes his head like a dog trying to get water out of its fur and walks across his room to his open window. He leans on the sill and breathes in the fresh air.

He notes silently that it's been two days since Hedwig left to hunt, going on three. He isn't worried — she went off for a whole week near the beginning of summer and he had fretted for that whole week, only for her to return with about seven mice. How she carried all of them back, he'll never know, but he does know that there is now a pile of dead mice under his chest of drawers just in case she gets locked up again. She's smart for stockpiling, he'll give her that much.

He jumps when he hears the familiar hoot of his owl. Realizing she must be about to soar into his bedroom, he steps out of the way.

He hears a soft flump land on his bed

Hedwig suddenly latches onto the fabric of his pajama bottoms and tugs. He laughs softly and lets her lead him to his bed. There, she latches onto his fingers gently and lifts his hand, placing it on top of a package. He unties it quickly and she gives a hoot of thanks before lifting his hand once more. Ah, so there's more than one owl. He unties the second package and when he doesn't hear the owl get up and start flying, he realizes with a start that this must be Errol. He picks the owl up carefully and walks him over to Hedwig's cage, placing him inside so h can get some water. Errol gives a feeble hoot of thanks.

Hedwig directs his hand once more to a third owl that is carrying both a package and a letter. The owl leaves quickly once it's burdens are taken away.

"Thanks, Hedwig," Harry whispers. She trils quietly and rubs her face against his arm.

When he opens up Errol's package, two things fall out. He remembers, quite suddenly, that its his birthday today. Picking up the envelope, he realizes that this is his very first birthday card. Hands trembling, he opens it and takes out two pieces of paper. A newspaper clipping and a letter.

MINISTRY OF MAGIC EMPLOYEE SCOOPS GRAND PRIZE

Arthur Weasley, Head of the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office at the Ministry of Magic, has won the annual Daily Prophet Grand Prize Galleon Draw.

A delighted Mr. Weasley told the Daily Prophet, "We will be spending the gold on a summer holiday in Egypt, where our eldest son, Bill, works as a curse breaker for Gringotts Wizarding Bank."

The Weasley family will be spending a month in Egypt, returning for the start of the new school year at Hogwarts, which five of the Weasley children currently attend.

Harry grins, feeling happy for his best friend. If anybody deserves to win money, it's definitely the Weasleys.

Harry then unfolds Ron's letter.

Dear Harry,

Happy birthday!

Look, I'm really sorry about that telephone call. I hope the Muggles didn't give you a hard time. I asked Dad, and he reckons I shouldn't have shouted.

It's amazing here in Egypt. I haven't seen Charlie since he left for Romania and Bill's been down here in Egypt for so long, it's strange to be hanging out with them again! Of course, Fred and George are pretty jealous because Charlie and Bill just wanna hang out with me and not them, but they're having fun with Percy and Ginny.

I couldn't believe it when Dad won the Daily Prophet Draw. Seven hundred galleons! Most of its gone on this trip, but they're going to buy me a new wand for next year.

We'll be back about a week before term starts and we'll be going up to London to get my wand and our new books. Any chance of meeting you there?

Don't let the Muggles get you down!

Try and come to London,

Ron

P.S. Percy's Head Boy. He got the letter last week.

Harry makes a mental note to ask Ron about his relationship with his oldest brothers as he picks up Ron's present and unwraps it. It feels like glass and he finds that it's pretty small. There's another note from Ron inside of the present.

Harry — this is a Pocket Sneakoscope. If there's someone untrustworthy around, it's supposed to light up and spin. It whistles too, so don't worry about not seeing it if it starts going off. Bill says it's rubbish sold for wizard tourists and isn't reliable, because it kept lighting up at dinner last night. But he didn't realize Fred and George had put beetles in his soup.

Bye — Ron

Harry smiles and places the Sneakoscope on his bedside table before grabbing Hedwig's package. Inside of this is also a wrapped present, a card, and a letter, all from Hermione.

Dear Harry,

Ron wrote to me and told me about his phone call to your Uncle Vernon. I do hope you're all right.

I'm on holiday in France at the moment visiting my grandparents and I didn't know how I was going to send this to you — what if they'd opened it at customs? — but then Hedwig turned up! I think she wanted to make sure you got something for your birthday for a change. I bought your present by owl-order; there was an advertisement in the Daily Prophet (I've been getting it delivered; it's so good to keep up with what's going on in the wizarding world). Did you see that picture of Ron and his family a week ago? I bet he's learning loads. I'm really jealous — the ancient Egyptian wizards were fascinating.

There's some interesting local history of witchcraft here, too. I've rewritten my whole History of Magic essay to include some of the things I've found out, I hope it's not too long — it's two rolls of parchment more than Professor Binns asked for.

My sister actually asked about you and Ron! I think she's finally coming around to this whole magic thing — she's just asked my mum if she can come shopping with me when we get back to London!

Speaking of, Ron says he's going to be in London in the last week of the holidays. Can you make it? Will your aunt and uncle let you come? I really hope you can, I'd love for you to meet my sister. If not, I'll see you on the Hogwarts Express on September first!

Love from Hermione

P.S. Ron says Percy's Head Boy. I'll bet Percy's really pleased. Ron doesn't seem too happy about it. I think I'll have to knock some more sense into him about his relationship with Percy. Remind me to do that, will you?

Harry laughs quietly as he sets the letter aside and picks up Hermione's present. It's large and heavy and knowing Hermione, it's probably a huge book about spells, but to Harry's delight, it's actually something called a Broomstick Servicing Kit.

He spends a few minutes exploring the contents of the case before setting it aside and picking up the last parcel. Before he can unwrap it, though, it gives a strange quiver and then whatever is inside of it makes a loud snapping noise, as though it has jaws and is trying to bite Harry. Harry tenses. The noise is very similar to one of a dog snapping its jaw at him, something Harry wishes he didn't recognize. He tentatively pokes the package again and when it snaps once more, he decides to just set it aside and deal with it later, preferably when he's in the company of his best friends. He picks up the card that came with the package.

Dear Harry,

Happy Birthday!

Think you might find this useful for next year. Won't say no more here. Tell you when I see you.

Hope the Muggles are treating you right.

All the best,

Hagrid

Harry frowns. He definitely doesn't want to open it now. He loves Hagrid but Hagrid isn't known for being all too cautious and it's very plausible that he might've sent Harry something dangerous without really realizing that it's dangerous.

He sets Hagrid's letter aside and picks up the very last thing. His Hogwarts letter.

He notices that it's thicker than usual and wonders what might be inside.

Dear Mr. Potter,

Please note that the new school year will begin on September the first. The Hogwarts Express will leave from King's Cross station, platform nine and three-quarters, at eleven o'clock.

Third years are permitted to visit the village of Hogsmeade on certain weekends. Please give the enclosed permission form to your parent or guardian to sign.

A list of books for next year is enclosed.

Yours sincerely,

Professor M. McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

Harry frowns and pulls the Hogsmeade permission form out. He's heard about Hogsmeade, of course, but he's never been and he sure would like to go but there is no way Uncle Vernon or Aunt Petunia would ever sign it.

He sighs and decides to worry about it in the morning. He clears his bed off and lays down.

"Goodnight, Hedwig," he says.

She hoots softly and he smiles, closing his eyes. For the first time in... forever, really, Harry really did have a happy birthday.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

405 3 13
Well... this year got interesting. Sirius Black is on the loose, and Harry's his main target. (Y/N) and her friends are entering the dreaded teenage...
207K 7.5K 44
~ Year three ~ Warning: This is the third book in a series!!! This also will journey through all of the books / movies so if you want a quick read...
42.2K 1.4K 25
Book cover by @DawnXx :) Amie's in for her third year at Hogwarts with her best friends Hermione, Harry and Ron. This year, a prisoner has escaped fr...
34.3K 1.2K 36
"Dad..." Elektra breathed out shakily" Elektra Black, or El for short, is the only daughter of the murderous Sirius Black. Growing up without her rea...