Glimmer of Hope (Land of Tomo...

By rking0815

Following a nuclear holocaust, Nathan Taylor and his family face grim choices in order to stay alive. Fleeing... More

Prologue
Part I, Chapter 1
Part I, Chapter 2
Part I, Chapter 3
Part I, Chapter 4
Part I, Chapter 5
Part I, Chapter 6
Part I, Chapter 7
Part I, Chapter 8
Part I, Chapter 9
Part I, Chapter 10
Part I, Chapter 11
Part I, Chapter 12
Part I, Chapter 13
Part I, Chapter 14
Part I, Chapter 16
Part I, Chapter 17
Part I, Chapter 18
Part I, Chapter 19
Part II, Chapter 1
Part II, Chapter 2
Part II, Chapter 3
Part II, Chapter 4
Part II, Chapter 5
Part II, Chapter 6
Part II, Chapter 7
Part II, Chapter 8
Part II, Chapter 9
Part II, Chapter 10
Part II, Chapter 11
Part II, Chapter 12
Part II, Chapter 13
Part II, Chapter 14
Part II, Chapter 15
Part II, Chapter 16
Part II, Chapter 17
Part II, Chapter 18
Part II, Chapter 19
Part III, Chapter 1
Part III, Chapter 2
Part III, Chapter 3
Part III, Chapter 4
Part III, Chapter 5
Part III, Chapter 6
Part III, Chapter 7
Part III, Chapter 8
Part III, Chapter 9
Part III, Chapter 10
Part III, Chapter 11
Part III, Chapter 12
Part III, Chapter 13
Part III, Chapter 14
Part III, Chapter 15
Part III, Chapter 16
Epilogue

Part I, Chapter 15

381 30 0
By rking0815

No one really knew Ethan Schweitzer’s history, only that he was a single retiree. Before N-Day no one gave him a passing thought. Ethan was an unassuming small and slight older man with a bald head. Most people considered him harmless except for those who looked into his piercing blue eyes and hesitated, sensing danger there.

Ethan kept to himself except when he came to town for groceries and an occasional meal at the diner. He didn’t cause any trouble and the residents of the small West Tennessee town left him alone. Word was he had worked for the government, but no one really knew more than that, nor cared for that matter.

The truth was Ethan had recently retired after thirty-five years of distinguished work in the National Clandestine Service, with multiple tours overseas and in high threat areas. He was a master at his trade, but in his retired life that meant nothing because no one could know what it was he did.

That all changed on N-Day. He knew the chaos and danger that would come even as neighbors stood in their yards and exchanged pitiful bits of half-truths and what-ifs. Ethan identified the man who would be in charge, there was always one, and offered his services to him.

That man was General Jeb Sampson. The establishment of the West Tennessee Republic was something Ethan helped create and took considerable pride in. To be honest with himself, Ethan admitted that N-Day was a blessing for him. He gave everything in devoted service and never allowed himself to make attachments. After retirement, he found himself alone, but without the familiar duty. The end of the world had probably saved him from at best a lonely and miserable existence…or at worse, a bullet in the brain.

Sampson was a man of unlimited power in the West Tennessee Republic as only military dictators could be. Ethan had seen it dozens of times in dozens of sad places around the world. The only difference here was Ethan was helping the dictator become much more powerful. It was his idea to establish martial law, universal conscription, and to suspend all basic rights. Ethan recommended seizing the huge army depot at Milan and the Marine and Navy airbase at Meridian. The weapons and equipment allowed them to outfit an army, which would be instrumental in rebuilding the new world.

Ethan was currently walking to Sampson’s headquarters to report what he'd just learned. Sampson had invested Ethan with power, not only in intelligence collection, but also in internal security. Ethan’s spidery web of informants and influence had already spread thoroughly and firmly throughout the Republic and into neighboring lands. What Ethan would tell Sampson came from one of his most reliable and well-placed sources.

As Ethan approached the large squat building, the guards stood aside and opened the door for him. He walked down the hall and silently slipped into the back of a shadowy conference room where there was already a briefing in session. Ethan could barely see the man’s face for the dim light cast by the electric lamps.

Ethan waited patiently as the briefing droned on, but at one point he caught Sampson’s eye who abruptly ended the meeting and sent everyone out of the room. He knew better than to ask Ethan’s business publicly. The men and women filed out of the room quickly, giving Ethan curious looks. Most had seen him around Sampson, but did not know his role.

As the last person left the room, Ethan slowly closed the door and then came to sit beside the tense and physically imposing general.

Gruffly, as was normal for him, Sampson got right to the point. “What is it Ethan? Must be important if you came in here to tell me.”

“Yes, sir,” Ethan cleared his head of scattered thoughts and focused on the information. “Mr. Reginald Philips has been formally selected to lead the JP. Sounds like it wasn’t his idea, that it was forced upon him, but I don’t want to underestimate him. It could have been well choreographed.”

“General Anderson seems to think highly of him,” replied Sampson. “I tried to rattle his chain and get him to say something bad about the man the last time we met, but he wouldn’t do it. That means something.”

“Word is that Anderson is loyal to Philips. Also, Anderson is working hard to build the military up and they have gotten their hands on a lot of equipment from Fort Campbell,” Ethan explained. “I’m still working on getting a more detailed list of what they've procured.”

“Pretty damn smart,” remarked Sampson while looking at Ethan pointedly. “We probably should have thought of that, could have deprived them even if we didn’t need it.”

Ethan ignored the jab and continued on. “Most disturbing, they are seriously considering cutting off our electricity over not giving them their payments.”

Sampson’s face took on a hard look as Ethan knew it would. This was a touchy subject. Sampson considered the dam, and its electricity, everyone’s right and not just that of the JP.

Sampson growled through clenched teeth, “Damn them!" He sat silently for a moment thinking. "Well, I guess we known this day would come. We’ve been holding off paying them as long as possible. We’ll just have to give them something and stall some more until our plans are ready.”

“Yes, General, but there is something else,” continued Ethan. “They have decided the electricity they give us is worth more than anything we can pay. They intend to use the lack of compensation as the reason to cut us off. They don’t want the payments.”

Sampson slapped his hand down and snarled, “They wouldn’t dare!”

Ethan added, “Evidently, Anderson recommended against such a course of action, believing it rash.”

“Wise man,” said Sampson. “What was the final outcome?”

“Philips tabled the discussion until the next meeting, but the proposal appears to be gathering steam.”

Sampson thought for a moment and then smiled. “Well there’s only one thing to be done.”

Ethan looked at Sampson quizzically, “Sir?”

“Guess we better pay them what they're owed,” said Sampson angrily through a wolf-like grin. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

734 8 20
A boy named Nathan and a group of teens have to survive a zombie apocalypse by relying on each other. Some feelings grow by the day. Will they're fee...
217 26 17
Reece looses both his parent to a suicidal-murder and his boyfriend ditches him. he moves in with his Aunt. he becomes friends with the neighbor. Je...
309 40 8
This book is about a father's quest in the zombie apocalypse. When Victor Tookes went to work that beautiful spring day, he never expected to see a m...
81.7K 5.6K 30
Centuries after the Fall, the United States has been wiped away. The crumbling remains of the great American empire are home now only to savage, lawl...