Mr. Moon Rabbit, I'm Not Your...

By Rachel-Ruth

Taking in a legendary spirit is no small matter as they attract a lot of attention... Her name is Chan Lee. A... More

Chapter One: Meteors Descend On A Lovely Night
Chapter Two: If I Were To Believe
Chapter Three: Han Jing Take Off Your Clothes!
Chapter Four: I Don't Trust You
Chapter Five: Dreams and Dialogue
Chapter Seven: Spill The Tea
Chapter Eight: Setting Up a Plan
Chapter Nine: Gifts and Ties
Chapter Ten: In The Shadows
Chapter Eleven: Old And Familiar Faces
Chapter Twelve: A Lousy Friend
Chapter Thirteen: Revelations in the Dark
Chapter Fourteen: Harebrained Decisions

Chapter Six: You Look Like You've Seen a Ghost

3 1 0
By Rachel-Ruth

It didn't take too long for Chan Lee to arrive at the closest Street Market available in the city centre. She had taken a train ride for about ten minutes and then walked for the rest of the way.

Fruits. Vegetables. Then straight back home.

She walked at a moderately fast pace, quite eager to speed run through the two levels of the emporium to get her goods and leave right after. Glancing idly, she watched people go about their business despite the immense heat of the sun.

It was a little surprising.

There was a large crowd, although it was still incomparable to the endless horde that roamed during the night. That was a good thing, she didn't like too many people or coming in contact with them. It also helped that this was a wet market, most people were at the business district or fancier districts on weekends.

"I think I made the right decision." She spoke to herself softly. Bringing Xue along would have either led to him panicking at the sheer number of people or tugging her at the stalls like an eager bunny.

She bit back a snicker and started her trek up to the second floor of the open market—the fruits and vegetables were available there.

Peaches.

Sweet, soft and juicy fruit.

Chan Lee drooled at the sight of the fruits displayed in one of the vendor's stalls. She had already bought some apples, pomelo, carrots and other fresh leafy vegetables that she thought Xue would like. And also the ones she didn't mind eating. Buying fruits and vegetables were cheaper than food delivery...so buying some wouldn't be—

"Hey."

She jolted up and spun in shock, meeting face to face with a familiar person.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." An amused smile played on Zhao's lips. "Seen anything like that recently?"

"A-ah, I wasn't expecting to see someone I knew." She coughed, holding the cloth bag of her foodstuff. "Hello there, Hua Zhao."

"Huh, I guess you know my name." He remarked with a grin, idly tossing his brown hair. It was tied into a loose ponytail that hung by his shoulder. "Hi, there, Chan Lee?" He paused, leaning towards her. "Hmm...Lee? It sounds better if I call you just, Lee. I hope you won't mind."

"A-ah, sure! Call me anything." She scratched her cheek and managed a smile. This was embarrassing. She wanted to get back home, so she needed to get over with the niceties already.

"Will you two youngsters actually buy anything or will you just flirt in front of my stall?" The fruit vendor, an old man grumbled from his spot.

Chan Lee felt her face heat up.

Flirting?! What she would never—she turned to correct the obviously erred man. "Actually,"

"Oops, sorry, Uncle." A carefree laugh erupted from Zhao's lips, breaking her momentum.

Words now left in her throat.

He turned to her, gesturing to the fruits on the stand. "You were drooling at these right? A bag of peaches for my friend here."

The older man rolled his eyes but soon handed over the fruits to him. "A pleasure doing business with you kids, now you can scram."

"Here you go, thanks, Uncle." Zhao passed over some bills.

Chan Lee blinked, waving him off. "W-wait, I can pay for them."

He shook his head. "Consider this as compensation for scaring you. Speaking of which, is there anything else you need to buy?" Zhao raised his brows, taking the bags out of her hands.

"Hey!" She frowned, but didn't exactly stop him from getting the bags. If he stole it, they were in daylight and had witnesses...and also because the bags were actually kinda heavy. She'd been carrying them for at least an hour now.

Zhao managed a teasing grin, immediately walking forward. "Seems kinda wrong to let someone like you carry your groceries with thin sticks like that. Just tell me where we'll go."

"You don't have to do that." Chan Lee pointed out, finally getting a word in. A full sentence in, to be exact. She should feel happy that he was being awfully kind and helpful, but somehow it also made her stomach churn.

It wasn't necessarily in a good way.

"I know, that's what makes me so popular." He winked at her. "I lend a helping hand to people I know. I didn't expect to see you here either, but somehow, I uh... got drawn here. I was passing by."

"Passing by?"

"Mhmm, I work at the next district and decided to make a quick jog through here." Zhao explained, nodding at some vendors. "People actually recognize me because of it."

"I see...so uh, where are we going?" Chan Lee realized that she was just trailing after him even though he asked her where to go. She really needed to get her groceries back from him.

"Huh, aren't you going to buy chicken, fish or something?" Zhao asked.

"I'm...on a diet." Or at least, she didn't want to force somebody to eat meat. And meat also happened to be expensive.

His face scrunched up. "Diet? I say, eat whatever you want—diets are too restrictive, and I think you're fine as you are."

"What?" She wasn't sure if she was really having a conversation like this with Hua Zhao. The Hua Zhao. It contrasted with the air around him.

"Aren't you trying to lose weight with these kinds of foods?" He was direct and confident, straight to the point.

So how come they're talking about diets and walking in the market like blood sisters?

"Not really. No." She answered with a shake of her head. She couldn't imagine restricting her food intake, a shudder ran down her spine.

"Good." He nodded his head a few times. "Actually, you know, follow me—let's go somewhere neat." He began to pick up his pace.

Her eyes widened, "Wait!"

"Hurry up, Lee!" He chuckled, now running ahead of her and leaving her behind. She stared at his retreating figure, noticing his shoulders accentuated in his dark slim shirt—he was toned.

And.

He was a bit troublesome, she ran after him.

The neat place that he had in mind was actually a nearby noodle food stall. He was already in line when she arrived.

"Let's eat here, Lee, handmade noodles in fish stock is always a treat if you ask me." He nodded with a pleased look on his face.

He was really eager to eat.

She really didn't want to ruin such an absolute confidence in his choice either. "U-uh..." Chan Lee held back a wince, why couldn't she say that she needed to go home now?

"Don't tell me that you don't like Banmian?" He asked with a small frown.

She raised her hands, "I do bu—"

"Well, let's get some. I'll even treat you if you want." Zhao smiled, as if solving the dilemma she was having. "You should eat, and well I'm uh... kinda hungry too. So let's stay here for a bit okay?"

She stared at him for a moment, fighting back a resigned smile. "Alright, you win."

Curse him for being too nice with her today. She felt the need to at least be able to reciprocate his kindness.

"Great, two orders please."

"I'll pay for it." She spoke up.

The sun had begun its descent when she found herself back at her apartment. A certain individual still in tow. Zhao glanced around the apartment. Not even budging when she insisted that she could take it from here, he went up the five flights of stairs.

He must have a lot of ample time on his hands despite also working as he claimed earlier. "So this is where you live?"

She sheepishly smiled, "Yeah, it's not much—"

"It's actually pretty good, do you share the rent with someone?"

"Oh, I live just by myself." Chan Lee laughed, scratching her head. That was now a bit of a lie.

"That's a tad expensive but nice, I stay at the university dorms with Bo Ling and the others. Cramped but we have our shenanigans." Zhao explained with a relaxed posture. He was leaning against the balcony's stone walls.

Chan Lee silently wished he would leave. She wouldn't invite him inside her place at all! She coughed into her hand. "I guess there's also pros in living at a do—"

The door to her unit swung open, revealing a silver haired person that moved towards her. "Chan Lee you're finally here! I'm so glad you—" he stopped mid sentence, noticing a stranger at last.

"Huh, I thought you lived alone." Zhao backed off the wall, gazing at her.

Why did she not expect Xue to leave her room or even open up? She unclenched her fist and smiled. "Oh—this is, Xue. Chan Xue, my uh, visiting cousin."

"Well, nice to meet you. Hua Zhao." Zhao extended a hand.

"Ah, nice to meet you too." Xue beamed, "You don't happen to know Hua Mu—"

"Yo, Lee you're finally—and I uh, came back at the wrong time it seems." Han Jing stopped by the staircase, his attention stopping on Zhao.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.5K 1.6K 39
✴️HIGHEST RANKED #1 - Chanyeol X Reader ✴️ "Is it fate, how much he holds for me?" She thought while falling down, down the stars. "Was it destiny...
106K 4.2K 64
A werewolf story (Cover edit: Made by me) ~ Hyunjin harshly wiped his wretched tears and screamed, "You promised you wouldn't lie to me! "There are t...
499 27 25
In the mystical realms of Magic, Cassandra, a 3000 yr-old Sorceress finds herself thrust into an unfamiliar world when a powerful spell backfires. No...
3.6K 330 45
A story of two university students who started off being terrified of each other due to their pixelated faces, but came to develop a bond that could...