Not Her

By dieFabuliererin

Ahsoka takes the shot that Hardeen fires instead of Obi-Wan. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 17

3.1K 103 155
By dieFabuliererin

T/W: Stress-induced vomiting

///

Mornings on Naboo are lazy.

The civilians may seem polished and self-disciplined, but they're actually very laid back. Mornings usually involve a generous amount of lounging, buffet-style breakfasts, and lots of hot or cold drinks- depending on the season.

Padmé- since her teenage years- has always started her mornings with milky caf. It's sweet, warm, and gives her just enough energy to get through the early morning Senate meetings. She keeps up the tradition whilst she's on her home planet as well- not just on Coruscant.

Once her brew is ready, she takes it outside where the sun is still low in the sky. The gardens of Naboo have always been a place of comfort for her, especially when she was Queen.

Today, the gardens aren't quite as calm as normal.

"Sharper! Make your movements sharper!" Anakin instructs sternly, not holding back as he hits Ahsoka with a flurry of aggressive swings, "Good! Keep it up!"

Ahsoka bares her fangs, flipping backwards and staying low with her lightsaber raised. With her left arm still suffering from paralysis and in a brace, her lightsaber has been adjusted- courtesy of Anakin's handiwork- into a double-ended blade.

Padmé can hardly see the Togruta when she starts to whirl the green duo blade even faster.

She manages to knock Anakin off his feet, mocking him, "Make your movements sharper, Anakin!"

"Very funny." He mutters before jumping up and pushing his lightsaber against hers once more.

Padmé chuckles at the competitive Jedi and sits on the outside lounge, hidden in the shade. Anakin and Ahsoka don't even glance her way as the Padawan springs towards her Master. The Jedi start to spin again, and Padmé has to averts her eyes before watching them makes her dizzy.

It's been a month since Ahsoka, well, died and then resurrected.

The doctors said it was a miracle, but only the Force is capable of such feats.

Ahsoka spent the next week in a medically induced coma. Shockingly, Anakin spent most of the week in deep meditation instead of at his Padawan's bedside. When Ahsoka woke up, Anakin made sure he was there, and since then, they've barely stopped.

The two Jedi train every day- from dusk to dawn- only breaking for food or meditation. Ahsoka's body is getting stronger every day, and so is her relationship with Anakin. They've been inseparable over the past few weeks, and Ahsoka has even started calling him 'Master' again, which makes Anakin grin like crazy.

The rift between them is starting to heal, and it couldn't be more beautiful to watch. Sure, there are times when Ahsoka gets frustrated from the process, but Anakin has mastered the art of patience- somehow- and the duo have overcome every hurdle in their path.

Padmé looks up at Ahsoka's yelp, sees Anakin wave his hand to catch her before she can hit the floor. "Watch your footing, Snips," he says with a smirk.

"Why don't your wire my leg to be more flexible next time?" Ahsoka bites back, even though she's grinning. She raises her lightsaber, "Again!"

Padmé frowns, speaking up before they can resume their spar, "I think it's time for a break, Anakin." She pins him with a look saying, before you hurt her on accident.

She sees the protest forming on Ahsoka's face until Anakin claps her shoulder, "Her house, her rules, Snips. C'mon, let's do some theory work."

At the mention of doing something related to fighting, Ahsoka perks up and struts- confidently- to where Padmé's sitting. The Senator moves over, allows Ahsoka to sit beside her whilst Anakin makes himself comfortable on the seat opposite them.

"I think you're training too roughly." Padmé says, directing her point at Anakin more than Ahsoka. "The doctors said she needs to avoid any more head injuries, not try to get as many as she can."

Anakin chuckles, doesn't hear the seriousness in her tone, "I caught her well before she fell, Padmé."

She narrows her gaze at her husband, "You won't always be there to catch her, Anakin."

"I think we need to be training more if anything." Ahsoka says, stretching out her legs, "I'll never learn how to win if Anakin's always letting me win. We already know Dooku won't go easy on me."

Padmé presses her lips together, her eyes drop to Ahsoka's midriff where a large scar is hidden under her top. Although Ahsoka never admits when it's hurting her, Padmé can see her grimacing when she stretches too far.

Anakin's commlink starts beeping, and one glance at her husband's face confirms who's calling.

He automatically moves to switch the device off when Ahsoka raises her hand, "Maybe we should see what they want."

"It's always the same thing." Anakin says with a sigh, "They wants us to come back to Coruscant."

Besides weekly calls to Obi-Wan, Anakin has severed all contact to the Jedi Council whilst he focuses on Ahsoka's rehabilitation. What Anakin hasn't considered is that although the Council wronged Ahsoka, all of her friends and family are involved in that Order.

Togrutas have never been good with social isolation.

"What if they have a mission for us?" Ahsoka asks hopefully.

He scoffs, "You're getting good at sparring, Snips, but you're not battlefield ready yet."

Padmé agrees. Ahsoka is recuperating fast but fighting on a battlefield is different from sparring in a quiet Nabooian garden.

"I said a mission, not a battle." Ahsoka grins, "I would be up for a supply run or something if the Council so desperately want us back."

What Ahsoka is really saying is that she wants to go back to Coruscant. Naboo is nice, but Coruscant is the girl's home, and if she feels ready to return to the Order- her family since she was a toddler- then Padmé won't stop her.

"You really want to go back and face them?" She asks the girl.

"I do." Ahsoka looks at Anakin, "We have to forgive them in order to heal, Master."

The Force resurrected Ahsoka, but Padmé believes forgiveness is the thing letting Ahsoka finally heal.

It propels victims of injustice and trauma forwards instead of backwards. Ahsoka has been moving forwards, but Anakin is lingering- Padmé knows he's never forgiven the Tusken Raiders who killed his mother.

If the Padawan can forgive, then hopefully the Master can too.

"If you're sure..." Anakin stands and raises his comm as he starts to walk away, "...Skywalker here."

Padmé squeezes Ahsoka's hand, sees the doubt on her face, "I'm proud of you, Ahsoka. It takes a lot of courage to face those who have wronged you. Remember, there will always be a home for you here."

A lot of people think forgiveness means reconciliation- it doesn't. Just because Ahsoka is ready to forgive the Council, doesn't mean she's accepting the harm they caused her.

Ahsoka throws her arms around the Senator's neck, "Thank you, Padmé- for everything. Especially for what you've done for Anakin."

It feels odd for a Jedi to be aware of the Senator's marriage to Anakin, but considering it's Ahsoka, Padmé isn't worried. Keeping their relationship from her was only adding to Anakin's stress, and surprisingly, the Padawan reacted to the news with a smirk which silently said, I knew it.

"Keep my husband safe out there, Ahsoka." Padmé whispers, returning the embrace of the girl who is basically her daughter.

///

Anakin tries to retch quietly as he hunches over the toilet bowl in the ship's fresher. If Ahsoka finds him in here- puking his guts up- she'll fuss over him for the rest of the journey back to Coruscant.

Their relationship is mending, but it hasn't completely healed yet. Anakin can see it on Ahsoka's face sometimes; he can see the betrayal in her eyes. It hurts him right to his core- knowing he's hurt her.

"Anakin." He didn't even hear the door open.

"Ahsoka." He stands- unsteadily- and flushes the toilet. "It was broken."

He hears her snort, "Nice try, Master. I thought we agreed on no more lying?"

They did- that was one of the first things they agreed when Ahsoka woke up. The worst part was telling her about Obi-Wan's health scare, but after he did tell her, Anakin swore he felt lighter.

Telling Ahsoka about his secret marriage to the Senator of Naboo was so relieving that Anakin slept through the entire night. Ahsoka reacted to the news well and considering she's on bad terms with the Council already, Anakin didn't even need to ask her to keep it quiet.

"You're right." Anakin sighs, "It's the first time I'm going to speak to the Council in over a month, Snips, I'm just nervous."

"That's understandable." Ahsoka replies, "Do you remember when Rex gave a report to them for the first time?"

Anakin chuckles, "Poor man was sweating buckets."

He wipes his mouth on the back of his sleeve and turns around. Ahsoka is leaning against the door- favouring her right side- with her arms crossed over her chest. She's smiling softly, even though there's concern in her eyes.

She looks so much older than a teenager.

"We'll be okay." Ahsoka says after a few moments of them just staring at each other.

"I'm supposed to be the one reassuring you." Anakin says, resists the urge to add, my young Padawan. He puts a hand on her shoulder and walks her out of the fresher.

"We're supposed to be looking out for each other." Ahsoka reminds him as they enter the cockpit, "Did the Council say where we're being deployed?"

"Obi-Wan said something about rebels on Onderon." Anakin says, immediately senses a barrage of questions about to spill from Ahsoka's mouth. "I know as much as you do, young one. Now, I believe you have some physiotherapy to do."

She pouts but still sits in the co-pilot seat and starts to clench her left fist. Her hand is becoming more mobile but considering how well she's adjusted to the double-ended lightsaber, they've basically ruled out the idea of a nerve transplant.

They'll have to see Master Che once they arrive on Coruscant, and she'll probably have other ideas.

Anakin busies himself with fixing a loose wire under the control panel. For all the Nabooian aerospace industry is wealthy, their ships have nothing on the Twilight.

The next time he looks at his student, she's fast asleep.

Maybe he's been training her a bit too hard. Frowning, he draws a blanket over Ahsoka, hopes her sleep isn't plagued with nightmares like it usually is. Upon second thought, he puts his palm to her forehead, flooding her mind with a sleep suggestion.

///

Obi-Wan's waiting for them when they land at the Temple, looking aged but otherwise relieved as they step out of the shuttle. Anakin looks down at Ahsoka as she locks eyes- tiredly- with his former Master.

Obi-Wan gives her a warm- although worn- smile, "You're looking better, Ahsoka."

Ahsoka doesn't seem to try and stop herself. She flies forwards and careens straight into Obi-Wan's chest, making the older man stumble backwards with a gasp.

Anakin smiles at his shocked expression and shrugs, mouths, "She's missed you."

Obi-Wan rolls his eyes before returning Ahsoka's embrace with gentle arms around her shoulders. Anakin can tell he's trying to be extra careful as he rests his chin between the girl's montrals.

Anakin has never seen his Master more at ease.

They eventually break their hug as Anakin steps in line with Ahsoka. She turns towards him, giving Obi-Wan a clear view at the knot of scar tissue that's in the centre of her back. Anakin sees his friend flinch as the sight of such a large wound on such a small girl.

She may be small, but Ahsoka is one of the mightiest people Anakin knows.

"We should be punctual to the Council's meeting." Obi-Wan says, wearing a bigger smile now, "We have much to discuss."

///

"Sure you're ready for this?" Anakin asks Ahsoka once the trio are nearly at the Council Chamber. Obi-Wan watches Ahsoka anxiously as she walks, but he thinks he must be the only one seeing her prosthetic leg- Ahsoka doesn't even seem to notice it herself.

"Made it this far." Ahsoka says, "I forgave you and Master Obi-Wan; it's only fair I give the Council the same treatment."

She has forgiven him, even though his carelessness cost her several limbs and nearly her life. How is that possible? Ahsoka is twice the Jedi Obi-Wan could ever be, and he could barely hold a lightsaber when he was her age.

They all look up at the top of the door where a green light flashes.

"Time to face the music." Anakin mutters as the doors open and reveal the Council Chamber. Obi-Wan hears Ahsoka suck in a breath beside him, but her Force-signature doesn't reveal any fear, only anticipation.

Obi-Wan leads them inside, bowing to Master Yoda and then going to his seat. All of the Council members are in attendance, and only a handful are present in holographic form.

"Anakin, Ahsoka," Master Yoda gives them a gracious smile as they come to a stop in the centre of the room. Neither of them bow- unsurprisingly. "Welcome back, you are."

Anakin opens his mouth but Ahsoka beats him to it with a calm, "Thank you, Master Yoda. It's good to be home."

Her voice is clear, loud, and full of confidence. It shocks everyone in the room into silence. Most of the Council are staring at Ahsoka; most likely amazed at how quickly she seems to have recovered. Obi-Wan has to admit, it's pretty incredible.

"We heard we briefly lost you on Naboo, little Soka." Ahsoka smiles when her oldest friend- Master Plo- breaks the silence. "I felt you falter in the Force myself. Know that I'm extremely relieved to see you're alive."

Ahsoka bows, "Thank you, Master Plo."

When she returns to her upright position, every Council member- including Obi-Wan- stares at Windu who is now out of his Hardeen attire. He's sat with one foot propped on his chair, resting his elbow on his knee and a look of boredom on his face.

Obi-Wan clears his throat, drawing Windu's eyes to him which makes the Jedi sigh- very loudly- before looking at Ahsoka. "I suppose we owe you an apology, Tano."

In the corner of his eye, he sees Anakin's fists clench. Ahsoka's voice is clipped, "That would be appreciated."

Windu looks like he's about to roll his eyes, but he stops himself. "On behalf of the Council, I apologise for putting your life at risk and then lying to you regarding the mission involving Rako Hardeen and the plot to kidnap the Chancellor."

It's a scripted apology, but it's an apology none the less. Ahsoka nods stiffly, "Thank you, Master. Forgiven, you are."

Her impersonation of Master Yoda gets a laugh out of Anakin, and a few Council members cover their mouths whilst their faces go red. Obi-Wan tries to keep his lips pressed tightly together although he can't help but smile.

"Survived, your sense of humour has." Yoda says, smiling.

Windu looks unimpressed, but that's nothing new.

"I appreciate it, Masters, but I think you owe someone else an apology." Ahsoka looks up at Anakin. "Losing my leg and all that was tough, but nothing would've been tougher than seeing my incredibly strong Master fall apart from the news of Obi-Wan's death."

Silence descends. Anakin goes a little pale before he puts a hand on Ahsoka's shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. Obi-Wan doesn't know what to say.

It's easy to see Ahsoka has been physically injured, but Anakin has also been wounded by recent events. He's always been fragile from his tough childhood, and Obi-Wan always forgets that because of how strong his former Padawan can make himself appear.

This time though, it's Obi-Wan who has hurt him and it's clear from Anakin's silence that the wound is deep.

"I'm sorry, Anakin." He says, looking the younger Jedi in the eye, "When I took on this mission, I never properly considered the consequences. I never should've gone through with it."

Anakin's jaw clenches, and he blinks rapidly. Obi-Wan understands he's probably a little lost for words. The two men have never had such a vulnerable moment in front of the Council. The only reaction Obi-Wan receives is a strong pulse of love across their bond- he gladly returns it.

"Master Windu?" Ahsoka asks sweetly, "Have you got something to say to Master Skywalker?"

Veins start to bulge out of Windu's forehead. If it weren't for the circumstances, Obi-Wan would find it quite amusing.

"Mace?" He prompts when steam is about to start coming out of Windu's nostrils.

"Apologies, Skywalker."

There it is. Short and snappy; Obi-Wan doubts Windu actually wants to apologise to Anakin, but getting him to admit to his mistakes in front of the Council is enough.

Anakin's expression is still blank, "I'd like to forgive you, Master Windu, but I have one request."

Windu looks at Yoda who nods, amusement etched in his deep wrinkles. Obi-Wan covers his mouth with his hand; this is going to be good.

"What?" Windu snaps.

"My Padawan will be using a double-ended lightsaber for the foreseeable future." Anakin says, gestures to the new hilt on Ahsoka's belt, "I've heard you're quite capable with the duo blade forms."

Windu's eyebrows shoot up, "You want me to teach your student?"

Obi-Wan grins, knowing exactly how difficult it can be to teach Ahsoka. She's a dream to fight beside, but training is a different story. She's impatient, easily frustrated and constantly makes snarky remarks. She's probably the opposite of what Windu would call a good student.

"Teach Ahsoka, Mace shall." Master Yoda says, already waving a hand when Windu opens his mouth to protest. "Discuss the rebel situation on Onderon, we must."

///

"She needs to do her physiotherapy on her arm twice a day; eight reps of bicep curls with three kilograms of weight, ten reps of push-ups and twelve reps of clenching her hand into a fist and then-"

"Kix!" Rex puts his bag down to rub both hands down his face, "Can't you just write all this stuff down?"

The medic is silent for a moment and then Rex hears his datapad ping, "Just sent it."

"Thanks." Rex sighs, looking up at the 501st medic, "I love you, vod, and I'm glad you've hacked the Temple's medbay records, but I think Commander Tano knows what she needs to do to rehabilitate."

Kix scoffs, "The Commander won't even drink water for a headache, Captain. Don't lie to yourself; she's not capable of remembering all of this."

"I'm sure she'll manage."

"Healer Che doesn't seem to think so." Kix says, passes Rex his binoculars, "The General got special permission from the Council to take the Commander to Onderon."

"Thanks," he accepts the binoculars and looks up at the medic, "the General won't put her through anything she can't handle. Besides, I'll be there and keeping an eye on things."

"Make sure she doesn't get herself even more injured, Rex." Kix says tiredly, "I'm not sure how much more her body can take."

"She'll be fine." He says defiantly, "Sergeant Coric is in charge until I get back."

Thankfully, Rex makes it out of the barracks without seeing any more of his brothers. They've been antsy since the incident on Naboo when they nearly lost their Commander. He even had to break up a few fights between the boys who got particularly aggressive towards the situation.

Fives tried to organise from the entire 501st to visit Naboo, but Rex managed to convince the ARC to call the trip off. He had a feeling Ahsoka didn't want anything to do with the war for a while.

Now, she's back, and already off on a mission. He spoke to Skywalker who said she's recovering faster than anyone could've anticipated, but Rex will be the judge of whether or not she's battle ready.

///

"Go, go, go, go!" The clone yells over the droning of the transport as the ramp lowers. Their drop zone is hardly secure and considering Onderon is under Separatist rule, they need to deploy quickly and quietly.

Ahsoka goes first, vaulting off the ramp and falling to the jungle below. Her stomach clenches as the wind rushes past her montrals, but before she knows it, she's landing- perfectly balanced- on a low tree branch.

Anakin lands beneath her on the forest floor, but he looks up and gives her a small smile under his hood. It took them weeks of jumping from Padmé's balcony to perfect the art of landing on both feet with the Force.

Once Rex touches the ground- using a jetpack to deploy- the three Jedi and clone Captain head off into the wilderness. Ahsoka stays low in the trees, using it as a vantage point to spot any potential threats. She can feel Obi-Wan's eyes on her constantly. Every time she makes a particularly large jump, he flinches.

It feels good to be out in the field again- even though this is a jungle. Every hour spent in hospital beds was agonising, and Ahsoka can see Master Che's frown whenever she closes her eyes.

It feels good- not being bed-bound and in staggering amounts of pain.

A creature howls as it breaks through the foliage in front of them and a woman shouts, "Stay where you are!" Ahsoka looks around, sees they're surrounded, "Identify yourselves."

Anakin drops his hood to reveal his face, "It's alright; we're friends."

The woman gasps, "Jedi."

Ahsoka squints at the woman who seems to be in charge of the rebels. Rex moves half an inch closer to Ahsoka, his fingers resting on his blasters.

She rolls her eyes; such a protective Captain.

"I'm Commander Tano." She declares, lowering her hood at the same time as Obi-Wan. "We're here to help you take back your planet," and for her to see Lux.

She was surprised to see Lux Bonteri appear on the comm in the Council Chamber- roughing it out with rebels. She's excited to see her friend again, even if she doesn't particularly want him to see her in this... condition.

"My name is Steela." The woman says, bringing Ahsoka out of her thoughts. "Thank you for responding to our call."

She suddenly realises this female is associated with Lux. Ahsoka starts to feel sick with something she isn't familiar with; is this jealousy? Whatever it is, Anakin nudges her Force-signature with concern, making Ahsoka quickly expel her unwelcome emotions into the Force.

"Commander?"

Ahsoka spins her head to Rex who is even closer to her than before, "Yes, Captain?"

"Steela said she'll take us to her secret base." He informs her, frowning slightly, "You zoned out for a second there, sir; everything alright?"

"I'm fine." Ahsoka shakes her head to reassure herself, "Just got lost in thought." She inwardly curses herself for losing focus. This is her first mission back, and she can't afford to mess it up. "Do you think we'll need a password?"

"A password?" His lips move into a casual smirk.

"For their secret base." She explains as they start walking, following Steela and her men.

Rex chuckles, "Like how Coric has a password for the medbay office on the Resolute?"

"I overheard Kix say it once." Ahsoka teases, showing her teeth playfully, "I'll tell you if you tell me what Fives wanted to call Skipper."

Honestly, it can't be that bad. Though, it was bad enough to get Fives dish duty.

"You're too young, kid. Maybe I'll tell you once you pass your trials." He says, grinning back at her. "Besides, I already know the password for the medbay office. Remember, the Captain knows everything."

Ahsoka pouts, "Kill-joy."

Rex laughs, widening his strides to catch up with Anakin- most likely to discuss how they're going to train the rebels. Ahsoka does the same- just to show off that Skipper won't slow her down.

She may not be ready to lead her men into battle- yet- but she can manage a trek through the jungle.

They step out into a clearing where the rebels have set up camp. It's nothing special, but it'll do.

Saw Gerrera- Steela's brother- is a muscular man who makes the other rebels look like starved labourers. From what Ahsoka can gather, he's arrogant. Thankfully, Anakin makes it very clear that the Jedi are in charge.

Anakin introduces them with their military titles, and although Ahsoka doesn't feel like much of a Commander, Anakin makes her sound like one.

"You're a celebrity here, sir." Rex murmurs to her as they walk towards the command centre- if it can even be called that- in their base.

"Hm?"

"Look around." She does. "The rebels; they think you're a god or something."

There are a handful of rebels following them, and only then does Ahsoka notice the stares she's getting. Rex is right. Confusion fills her; why's she so interesting? Then-

"Ahsoka!"

The call is so loud and sudden she nearly falls over. She turns to see Lux Bonteri- decked in clothes fit for a bounty hunter- running towards them. His arms are wide, as if he's about to embrace her, and Ahsoka kind of hopes he does- even if it's front of her Masters.

After all, Anakin isn't exactly following the Jedi Code with his marriage to Senator Amidala. Ahsoka has to admit though, those two are perfect for each other.

Lux slows down before he reaches her, dropping his arms- much to her disappointment. "I thought you were dead."

Anakin nudges Rex, follows Obi-Wan with the Captain in tow, casting Ahsoka a knowing look over his shoulder.

"Surprise!" She says, holds out her arms as if to prove she's alive.

"I heard Dooku..." he trails off when his eyes land on Skipper, and he pales. "I thought it was just a rumour..."

"This old thing?" She looks down at her fake leg, laughs, "Trust me, Lux, this is the least of my worries."

"Force, you've been through the wars." There's not an ounce of pity in Lux's eyes, just admiration. He nods to the rebel base around them, "I joined the rebellion here on Onderon because of you, Ahsoka."

"Because of me?" She's shocked. After Lux left in the escape pod, she figured he had forgotten all about her.

"After I heard you jumped through a window to go after Dooku." Not one of her brightest ideas. "It inspired me to take a stand against that monster."

"I lost." She says, looking away, "Dooku won that fight."

A warm hand on her shoulder brings her eyes to meet Lux's again, and she swears the chevrons on her lekku must be black. "It doesn't matter if you won or lost, Ahsoka. When people heard what you did, they started to believe anybody can fight against the Separatists. You gave everyday people faith in themselves."

She doesn't even know how to respond- that's how overwhelmed she is. Anakin nudges her Force-signature with irritation, silently telling her to hurry up. Lux releases her shoulder as if he can feel Anakin's gaze on them.

"We're going to take back Onderon, Lux." She meets his eyes with a stern gaze- one she would use on her own men. "Trust me."

"I've learnt the hard way that it's better to trust your judgement." Lux turns to where the others are gathering, only for his gaze to fall to Skipper again, "You're fine now though, right?"

She smiles, and the lie slips past her teeth, "I'm better than ever."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 55 12
An ordinary battle in the Clone Wars becomes complicated when, out of nowhere, a group of Sith appear from an alternate reality. The Sith want only o...
5.7K 281 18
Two years after the end of the Clone Wars, former Clone Commander Hotshot is now working aboard an Imperial Star Destroyer under the command of Admir...
21.8K 916 16
The story is changing. The whole beginning and end of the story you were once told as a child has been changed. But for the better? Let's see. Sequel...
986 25 8
In the aftermath of Mortis, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Rex crash land on a mysterious planet. What they discover is far beyond their wildest dreams...