Deja Vu: The Healer

נכתב על ידי pattyofurniture

I marked her and I didn't even know her name.-- Going to her best friend's wedding in a forest lodge, Carolin... עוד

Prologue
Chapter 2: Beta William's Office
Chapter 3: Unmask your Scent
Chapter 4: Mate
Chapter 5: Missing Book
Chapter 6: Caught
Chapter 7: Kara's Alive
Chapter 8: Wedding
Chapter 9: Background
Chapter 10: Healer
Chapter 11: Singing
Chapter 12: Dancing
Chapter 13: Fine, it's not a dream.
Chapter 14: We're Over
Chapter 15: Have nice dreams?
Chapter 16: The Viking!
Chapter 17: Werecreature
Chapter 18: Tree
Chapter 19: Remembering
Chapter 20: Two People
Chapter 21: Ready
Chapter 22: Healing
Chapter 23: Reputation
Chapter 24: Shutting the Door
Chapter 25: His Parents
Chapter 26: Evan
Chapter 27: Two Minutes
Chapter 28: Packing
Chapter 29: Mr. Day
Chapter 30: Talk About It
Chapter 31: Mint Chocolate Chip
Chapter 32: Date Night
Chapter 33: To Collect Her
Chapter 34: Wolf Side
Chapter 35: Scumbag
Chapter 36: First Fight
Chapter 37: Fremont Territory
Chapter 38: Jeremy
Chapter 39: Family Back Together
Chapter 40: The New Pack Healer
Chapter 41: Bare Bear Jer
Chapter 42: Merris Residence
Chapter 43: Token
Chapter 44: Ready to Talk
Chapter 45: Stupid Pink Stone
Chapter 46: The Cave
Chapter 47: Getting Paint
Chapter 48: Panacea
Chapter 49: Diversion Tactic
Chapter 50: Small Mutated
Chapter 51: Council
Chapter 52: Let it Go
Chapter 53: Theory
Chapter 54: Headquarters
Chapter 55: Mission
Chapter 56: Catherine
Chapter 57: Road Trip
Chapter 58: Message of Faith and Healing
Chapter 59: Heartbeat
Chapter 60: All Three
Chapter 61: I did
Chapter 62: Offering
Chapter 63: Trial
Chapter 64: Epilogue

Chapter 1: Deja Vu

7.6K 262 64
נכתב על ידי pattyofurniture

CAROLINE

I stared up at the lodge with a fascinating feeling of déjà vu flooding my veins. It seemed so familiar, but the place was gorgeous, so maybe I had seen it in a magazine once or something. Middle of a superiorly green forest, six story mammoth wood and brick building. But beautiful beyond words. Shaped in a large X with fancy porch railings for every few windows and exquisite carved details around the others. The front lobby, covered in windows which I could see how it would let light in an ethereal feel every morning as the sun rose.

I could see it like I'd seen it before.

But I'd never been here before.

I'd lived in Seattle all my life.

I pressed a long strawberry blonde lock back against my ear that had caught in the breeze, and smelled the beautiful flowers that surrounded the area. But it was more than sweet flowers, I could sense the flowing river, the ever greens, and rich earth. It was like I had never scented anything in my life. The whole world was coming alive.

"Caroline? Darling?" Rick asked.

"Yes?" I turned to my fiancé. I grinned when I noticed the breeze was pressing up his slicked back hair.

He hurriedly and ran a hand through his hair to smooth it back down then reached for my hand. "Everyone is going back this way." He pointed down his long nose.

I followed the line of wedding guests to a giant tent in the center of a wide meadow near the lodge. I had been so intent looking at the large building, I hadn't even noticed I was walking to it instead of to the rehearsal dinner. "Sorry," I spoke and put my hand in his.

He started guiding us to the tent, right on the heels of Catherine's parents.

I smiled at Rick. He was still in his work suit that he always wore. Not even for a plane ride would he wear comfortable jeans and a tshirt. He always looked so handsome. Long dark hair slicked back, thin lips, just my height. I worked for him in one of the premier veterinary clinics in Seattle. I started working for him fresh out of vet school and since then his business has boomed. Within months we started dating and got engaged.

He has been a little insistent that we finally set the date, but I feel like if we do we'll take Catherine and Blake's thunder and they need the spotlight right now instead. We can set the date after this weekend.

I guess.

Catherine. I grinned and looked up to her already at the stage and pointing things around like some irate bridezilla. She looked gorgeous in her white sundress and the daisy flower crown on her head made her red hair flame brighter. She looked so beautiful and happy. It had been a whirlwind romance for her with Blake. They met only three months ago while me and her were out on hike. It had to be fate because she hates-hates hiking. And even more since it was barely March and snow patches still littered the shade. I'd always loved anything to do with the woods, seeing as Seattle has none, but that day there was an electricity on the air for me to get out. I'd been cooped up with winter far too long and had spring fever to get out. I googled day hikes near Seattle and chose one at random and we went. He was at the top as we looked out over the scenic view. It was love at first sight for both. They found out they both had so much in common and he ended up living only twenty minutes away from us.

Catherine and I have been friends since college and shared a place for eight years. She's my best friend and it's so good to see her with Blake after so many failed relationships. Though I didn't like how fast they were together. Rick and I have been engaged a year. I wish they would have slowed down and learned to love the other like Rick and I have. Then they'd know they weren't rushing into things.

But she was determined to get married as soon as possible. So here we all were, Fish Lake nowhere Utah, far up in the mountains surrounded by beautiful woods and aspen trees as far as the eye could see. The closest even small town with a baby grocery store and mini bar was forty minutes away.  But Catherine is my best friend, so here I am. Bridesmaid in the middle of nowhere because that's where Blake grew up and wanted the wedding at his home.

And apparently that's pretty rare. He says that not many outsiders are allowed on the property. It's family property and a secretive community that no one really has seen as there are scary towering guards at every gated entrance. But Blake was a somebody at the community and so special permission was granted.

Sounds like a cult to me.

And that is what Catherine wanted to marry into?

I sighed and took my place at the back with a tall good looking groomsman to begin to practice the processional for the wedding tomorrow.

Catherine will be moving out, so I'll have to go some place else. Our lease is up at the end of the month and I know Rick is thinking I'll move in with him, but I'm worried that my resolve to wait until marriage will break if we live in the same place. And I'm not ready for that. It's going to be hard enough sharing a room with him here. Apparently, they only have so many extra suites in this behemoth of a ski lodge that people need to share where possible. Blake didn't think anything of it when he assigned us together. I guess waiting until marriage was only a me thing.

The rehearsal dinner was lovely and everything went in order. It would be a beautiful ceremony tomorrow.

When everything was set, the maid of honor, Catherine's sister, grabbed her hand and ushered her over to the rest of us three bridesmaids.

"Bachelorette party!"

We chuckled.

Her sister smiled and brought out her phone. "Okay, so google shows some silly cowboy bar in some Podunk town is the closest. We're getting our drink on girls!"

Another bridesmaid friend from Catherine's high school spoke up, "but uber isn't around here. Are we letting someone go with us for chaperone?"

Catherine's sister grinned. "Oh, no. Caroline is our designated driver. She doesn't drink. Right?" Her eyes hooked on me.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm not a drinker."

Catherine gave me a sorry smile.

The third bridesmaid boomed, "well then let's get this party started!"

The girls laughed like they were already drunk.

I cut in. "Hey do you mind if I go change? I need to hit the bathroom first."

Her sister complained. "Aww! No, just change at the bar."

"Oh come on, it's thirty minutes away. I want out of these heels."

"Fine," she looked childishly away and then caught her husband's eye. "Honey! Give us a ride to town?"

He came over and wrapped an arm around her. "Sure thing babe. You all going?"

Catherine eyed me softly. "Hey Caroline? Is it okay if we go with Brandon? Then you won't have to hurry and you can just meet us there? You're not drinking anyway."

"Oh," I was taken back at being excluded already. "Oh yeah. Sure. Go on. Have fun and I'll be right there."

"Great!" She exclaimed. "We'll text you directions! See ya Carol!"

And suddenly they were all wandering toward the cars.

Wow.

Okay.

Rick came up and touched an arm at my back. "Have they already left?"

I nodded, watching their disappearing frames, quite nearly upset.

"We'll let's head up to our room, and you can follow them."

I shook my head to clear it. "Right. Let's go."

The older receptionist at the front gave us a key and told us how to get to where the room was. Rick had to ask her to repeat herself because of the noise of the many people coming in and out of the lobby. But I was focused on the corridor directly behind her. Her desk was blocking a hallway lined with doors and tapestries. And my eyes were fixated on the fifth tapestry. It was the exact same as the others. A heavy cotton weave in burgundy with golden yellow designs stitched in. But for some reason I knew that that curtain held a hidden door that led downstairs. Or, I thought I knew. How could I?

"Come along darling." Rick grabbed my hand and began ushering me to the elevator.

We got to our room and placed our things down. I stared at the one queen sized bed and almost groaned. I didn't want to share with Rick and looked to the small table and armchairs. Was there a way I could sleep in the armchair and not offend Rick? Probably not.

He turned on the tv to some sports channel and I took a minute to change into more comfortable clothes and get ready for the so called bachelorette party drinking binge.

I looked up to Rick as I tied my shoes. "I'll be home late. Don't wait up."

"Sure darling," he spoke to the tv.

"Bye Rick." I gave him a peck on the lips, grabbed my purse and went down to the front.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

9.2K 219 52
When Josephine returned to her home town after the death of her parents she was prepared to take a job at the local hospital. She wasn't prepared to...
14.9K 962 112
When I locked my gaze with hers, everything became clearer. While my wolf screamed 'Mate' in my head with joy and excitement. I whispered with despai...
3.4K 111 8
This is a Dark romance, shifter wolf story. There are scenes of abuse, violence, non-consent, sex. The male lead is crazy and obsessive. For as long...
52.7K 1.7K 29
This story is not about rejection or my pack beause I would have had to know about werewolves before I fell in love with one. With a family cabin al...