Deeper

By anya_jayvyn

In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." Hi... More

1 | Encounter
2 | Vaughn's Effect
3 | The Bad Boy
4 | First Day
5 | The Best Friend
6 | The Beginning
7 | Tutor
8 | Rush Hour
9 | Sushi Date
10 | The Alley
11 | Breaking
12 | Safe Haven
13 | Heartbeat
14 | First Kiss
15 | The Ex
16 | Gossip Girl
17 | Denial
18 | Desire
19 | Stranger
20 | Escaping
21 | Wild
22 | Possessive
23 | What the Heart Wants
24 | First Time
25 | Breakfast
26 | The Shadow
27 | Another Breakfast
29 | In the Dark
30 | The Bodyguard
31 | Confession
32 | Submission
33 | Little Treasure
34 | Past and Present
35 | Bloodshot Eyes
36 | Cold Heart
37 | I Trusted You
38 | Broken
39 | Stay
40 | Gone
41 | I Miss You
42 | The Painful Truth
43 | Crumbling
44 | Your Lies
45 | Blind
46 | The Player
47 | Kidnapped
48 | Silent Cry
49 | Forgive Me
50 | The Other Half
51 | Not Today
52 | The Killer in Me
53 | Don't Go
54 | New Beginning
55 | Don't Look Back
56 | Moving On
57 | Chasing Her
58 | No More Us
59 | In Your Arms
60 | Regrets
61 | Here With You
62 | Gravity
63 | Nightmare
64 | My Everything
65 | I Love You
66 | Back to You
67 | All That Matters
68 | Farewell
69 | Always
Epilogue
Spin-off Story | Broken Sky
Special Chapter
Spin-off Story | Luna
Story Copyright
Casts & Mood Boards

28 | Breaking In

529K 14.4K 5.5K
By anya_jayvyn

I check the corridor before stepping out from the ladies room, since I have to make sure that no one is going to catch Vaughn slipping out from it.

All clear. I sigh and walk out, Vaughn following behind me. While we're about to walk in the corridor, someone clears his throat, making us stop dead in our track.

I turn around to find a guy leaning on his back against the wall, eyeing us with a smirk on his face. "Who would have thought? Vaughn and Melanie."

Shit. He knows us. How could I not see him just now? Maybe it's because he's leaning so close to the wall behind me that my eyes must have missed him.

"Austin," Vaughn mutters, eyeing the said guy with a menacing look, unable to hide the irritation in his voice. From the deadly look on Vaughn's face, he would definitely strike a deal with Austin about keeping our secret.

I remember the name. Austin. The football buddy who called Vaughn yesterday while we were making out in the kitchen. Now that I have a good look at him, I notice that he resembles young Chad Michael Murray.

Austin seems unfazed by Vaughn's glare, like he's used to it. "Sorry, man," Austin says, putting his hands up, amusement present in his voice. "Just wanna inform you that coach is waiting for you."

Vaughn rolls his eyes and turns to me. "I'll be right back."

I nod, watching as Vaughn walks past Austin, but not before throwing him a sharp look, as if telling him to follow suit.

Austin chuckles and looks at me, causing me to feel awkward.

"Hi, Austin." I smile, trying to be friendly and to ignore the fact that he just caught us doing something naughty in the ladies room.

"Don't worry." Austin smirks. "I won't say anything to Jake."

I would be so thankful if he keeps his words. The last thing I need is Jake finding out about Vaughn and me from somebody else. I'm not going to keep this secret forever. I'm just still trying to find a way to tell him because we all know how Jake always reacts when it comes to me and boys.

"I would really appreciate it, Austin," I say genuinely. "Thanks."

Austin smirks. "No problem. I'd been wondering why Vaughn seemed a lot happier recently. But now, I know why."

His words make me blush. Is it true? Do I make Vaughn happy?

Now, a soft smile tugs at Austin's lips. "Really. That's a good thing. He's been through enough already."

I frown. Is he talking about Vaughn's past relationship?

With Camila.

I can only plaster a small smile, still wondering what has actually happened between them. She's now a part of his past but somehow still makes me insecure. I hope that Vaughn will open up to me if I ask him about it. Definitely not now, since we're just beginning. But sometime in the future.

My heart sinks at the thought of him having been in misery. What kind of problem that has torn them apart? What kind of girl who had the heart to hurt him?

I know that I wouldn't be able to get the answer now, even if I wanted to.

Austin walks off to follow Vaughn, and that leaves me standing here with so many unanswered questions in my head.

The clock has just indicated 10 o'clock at night. The melody of Chopin's Nocturne fills the living room as I play the piano. It's always nice to pour all of these melodramatic emotions through music. After playing the last note of the classical piece, I close my eyes and sigh.

Where is Camila? Why is she missing now? Why did she leave Vaughn? I want to know all of the answers.

Playing the nocturne has just set the mood kind of dark. Maybe I should play something that sounds more of a major key, not something minor like pieces of Chopin and Beethoven. Mozart is a little too happy-go-lucky for my mood now. Debussy sounds perfect, since his pieces are always calming and heavenly.

I fiddle the music sheets inside the cabinet near the piano but can't find my favourite Debussy's compositions. If I'm not mistaken, they are stored in one of the room upstairs where Jake also keeps his favourite phonograph records.

I walk up the stairs and enter the said room. My eyes scan the bookshelves, and my heart leaps as I find one that contains my old music sheets. My Debussy book is there, along with my favourite Disney music sheets.

While I'm busy picking the books, the lights go off, causing me to feel like I'm suddenly blind because of the darkness enveloping the entire house.

Crap. I've always hated the darkness. It sends chills to my body, as if a sudden cold wind is blowing through me now.

Is there something wrong with the power supply? I turn on the flashlight from my phone and heads to the window. After I open the curtain, a frown touches my lips as I see my neighbour's house doing just fine with lights and electricity a few blocks away.

The sound of something drop to the ground downstairs catches my attention. What just happened? Who is it? I don't think that there's anybody else in the house, because I just allowed my maid to go back home an hour ago.

I feel goosebumps on my skin and that the hair at the back of my neck stand. My heart begins to pump faster as I brace myself to walk outside the room.

But then, I stop midway when I hear someone walking upstairs with long strides. I push my back against the wall, my pulse quickening. Who is it?

Jake? No way. I just called him earlier this evening, and he said that he's going to work overnight, finishing up his project with his colleagues.

Vaughn? He texted me half an hour ago that he's in a club, celebrating his football teammate's birthday.

But even if it's someone I know, they must have called me when they had realized that the house was pitch black.

I abruptly turn my phone flashlight off. The person stops after reaching the second floor. His footsteps lead to the side opposite this room. Trying to calm my heartbeat, I peek behind the door so that I can find out who and what this is all about. There's still a little light from the street that fills the room, since I opened the curtain a while ago.

My heart freezes as I find a guy wearing a hoodie and a balaclava mask that covers his entire face standing in front of the cabinet. He scans the family photos and takes one frame in his hand. I almost choke in fear when he presses his lips against the picture. Someone's picture. He kisses it like it's something precious.

I don't need to know whose picture it is because the truth hits me to the core. It is mine.

He's the same guy who tried to rape me inside the alley. That psychopath apparently is crazy enough to break into my house.

I cover my mouth with my hand, trying not to scream. Tears begin to blur my vision.

He's going to get me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209K 7.9K 105
Previously known as Knew It (A peaceful nightmare) Highest-ranking- #2 in teenfiction - #1 sadness Love is a game, wan...
2.3M 40.9K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
2.2M 61.8K 42
"I need to talk to you Elly" "Why?!" "I know that you're my mate" I laughed sarcastically. "What?! Are you trying to make fun of me again like you di...
86.5K 1.7K 20
Josh and Katie have been best friends since he first moved nextdoor midway through freshman year. They were attached to the hip and acted like they'v...