Death Becomes Us (Dazai x Rea...

By starsforbreakfast

Y/n L/n, an agency member with an ability known as Deus ex Machina, meets Dazai Osamu. Fresh from the mafia... More

A/N IMPORTANT
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen

Chapter One

2.8K 63 35
By starsforbreakfast

A/N

Here is my new (rewrite of my old) Dazai x reader story! Just as a heads up, I will be altering some time line things to fit your character in in the ways I want. The main thing is that I am messing with the timelines of people joining so that your character can build and have good relationships before Atsushi joins and all the fun begins. Anyways, hope y'all enjoy!!

----

Dazai's thoughts wouldn't leave him alone as he walked the streets of Yokohama. His mind was spinning to the point it blurred his vision. The world was tunneling in around him as he headed to his first day at his new job. 

So much had happened in the past few days and the more he thought about it, the worse it all became. Sure, he was happy for the opportunity, grateful the Special Gifted Operations Division had been able to wipe his slate clean despite how wrong that felt, satisfied that he was on the way to fulfilling his promise to Oda. He couldn't help but wonder if the cost was worth it all.

"Better just to forget. Better not to think about it." he muttered to himself, shoving his hands into the pockets of his coat and shaking his head slightly to rid it of the image of his friend as he had lain dying in Dazai's arms just a few weeks before.

Turning a corner, he sighed. The movement, the reminder had not served its purpose. Even now, all he could see was their faces. Ango, Oda, Akutagawa, Chuuya, and Mori. The betrayal, the pain, the questions, the death. He didn't really feel bad about leaving them per say, more intimidated honestly. It was strange, a foreign thing to a man normally so self assured. The Port Mafia had been the only real home he had ever known. He was happy to be leaving it in one sense but in another, he had known who he was when he was there. In the Mafia, it had been easy to see the path of his future, to do the things expected of him. With the blank slate ahead of him, the uncertainty in his chest took on an almost cannibalistic nature.

And what of the blank slate his past had become? Even with his crimes erased from public record, would he be able to move pas him? Dazai had spent so long hurting, he didn't know if he was capable of the sort of kindness this new life required anymore. He wondered if it was ever something he had even been capable of in the first place.

"I did the right thing." he murmured as he reached the building that housed his new place of employment, "I am doing the right thing."

----

"Oiii Kunikida!" called Y/n as she spun around in her desk chair, the tips of her big white wings dragging slightly along the floor "That new recruit is coming in for his first day today, right?"

"Yes, he is." Kunikida calmly replied as he walked by with his nose stuck in his notebook, "Would you please stop doing that."

He put his hand on the back of her chair, stopping Y/n's spinning. In response, she stuck her tongue out at him in a playful manner.

"You're no fun Kunikida!"

Rampo laughed from where he sat on his desk eating gummy bears.

"Kunikida's right Y/n. You don't wanna freak the new guy out, do you?" hummed Tanizaki from his desk where he was pretending to do work.

"Like me spinning in a desk chair is gonna freak some guy out." Y/n scoffed, standing up only to fall into Kunikida for support as the world spun around her.

"Dizzy.." she hummed softly balling her fists into the soft fabric of his vest.

Kunikida patted her head lightly before helping her over to her desk which she sat on top of, placing a hand to her forehead as she recentered her vision. Rampo walked up beside her, staring down at his friend as he offered her a gummy bear which she gladly accepted.

"Hmm, he's late." stated Kunikida, staring intently at his watch, "At this rate I'll have to cut down my lunch break to keep everything on schedule."

"Maybe he got lost." suggested Tanizaki as he got to his feet, walking over to where the rest of the group was lingering, staring at the office door.

"Maybe he's just nervous." Y/n shrugged, "I remember how nervous I was my first day here... You said he passed his test with flying colors though, right?"

Kunikida nodded as the door opened to reveal a bandaged man with messy brown hair and soft chocolaty eyes.

"Is that him?" whispered Y/n to Rampo behind her hand and Rampo nodded slightly.

"Dazai Osamu," said Kunikida as he slowly turned to face the new comer, "you are approximately seven minutes late. You have thrown my entire day off schedule, what do you have to say for yourself?"

The man, Dazai, stood still for a moment. Suddenly, a nervous smile broke out across his face and he awkwardly scratched the back of his head.

"Sorry Kunikida, I got a little lost on my way here."

Kunikida's eye twitched in annoyance.

"Wow!" Y/n gasped, jumping down from the desk and jumping over to the newcomer, "That was so cute!"

He turned bright red immediately and looked away.

"Y/n," called Tanizaki as he walked over to Dazai as well, "look! You don't wanna embarrass the new guy."

"Sorry." she mumbled as he placed a hand on her head, ruffling her hair slightly.

"What are you all doing to that poor girl." came Yosano's voice as the door opened and closed once more.

"They're torturing me! You have to help me back to life!" cried Y/n in a teasing tone, her hand placed theatrically to her chest.

Yosano let out an endearing laugh as she came up beside Y/n.

"So, should we do introductions?" she suggested after an uncomfortable moment of silence and Kunikida nodded.

"I suppose I will go first." He sighed, pushing up his glasses with a single finger, "I am Kunikida Doppo, ability: Doppo Poet."

"Tanizaki Junichiro. My ability is called Light Snow." Tanizaki said next with a friendly smile.

"Yosano Akikio, ability: Thou Shalt Not Die." said Yosano in her normal prim and proper cadence, offering the man a hand which he hesitantly shook, "I look forward to treating you."

"Yosano! don't freak him out!" yelped Y/n, seeing her friend's sickly grin and the disturbed look look it caused in Dazai's eyes.

Dazai dropped Yosano's hand and turned to face Y/n expectantly.

"I'm l/n y/n but everyone calls me Y/n, so I guess you can too! My ability is called Deus ex Machina." she said with a smile, her wings spread out behind her in excitement as she held out a hand for him to shake.

"God from the machine." he mused, examining her hand rather than taking it.

"Nice to see there is someone else here who received a proper education." Y/n teased, pointedly looking around at her coworkers.

Rampo rolled his eyes in response and Yosano settled a hand on her hip.

"You'll finally have someone to irritate with your rants about language structures now." she teased right back.

"It's not my fault you all can't appreciate how cool it is that ancient Greek has accents that literally tell you how to breathe when you're saying the words." she replied in a disapproving tone before turning back to Dazai, her hand still outstretched, "Are you gonna shake my hand or is this how we live now?"

The question startled him. It was the familiarity with which she said it, as if Y/n had known Dazai just as long as the other Agency members. There was something almost frightening about it, the trust she had extended towards him in that hand.

After a moment, barley anything more than a second's hesitation, he brought his own hand up to hers and grasped it gently. Her handshake was surprisingly firm for someone so visually sweet. He let go, their hands falling to their sides. He turned to face the final man in the room, awaiting his introduction as Y/n took a step back, falling into line beside her friends. 

Noticing he had no intent on responding to Dazai's inquisitive gaze, Y/n elbowed Rampo lightly. When he turned to face her, his brow slightly furrowed, she tilted her head towards Dazai with a knowing look. Not a word was exchanged yet they understood each other perfectly. Rampo sighed.

"I'm Edogawa Rampo." he announced smugly, "Ability: ultra deduction! The only reason that this place can even be called a detective agency is because of me and my ability."

Dazai merely hummed in response.

"So what's your name?" asked Tanizaki after a moment, "Y/n and I weren't here when you got tested the other day."

"Oh, I'm Dazai Osamu. Ability: No Longer Human!" the brown haired man exclaimed with a smile.

"Really? Sounds intense. Whats it do, pretty boy?" asked Y/n with a teasing smirk.

Kunikida slapped the back of her head lightly.

"You're such a menace." he grumbled as she looked up at him, rubbing the spot he had hit

"Pretty boy..." Tanizaki repeated under his breath.

"Well," said Dazai with a smirk as he slowly approached the shorter girl who turned her gaze back to him, "I can annul the skill of anyone with a single touch."

As he said the word touch, he leaned into Y/n and tapped her nose slightly.

Her face turned bright red and her lips parted slightly as she looked him dead in the eyes.

"Alright bandage boy." she said after a moment, "You can stop the act now."

status: rewritten December 10th 2023

Edited: January 27th

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 54 11
❛❛ I fell in-love with you, from your insults.❞ 𝐒𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐦... (𝐧.) the ability to insult intelligent human beings without the realising it. ...
40.4K 1.6K 18
[ COMPLETED ] "𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙨 𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙢𝙮 𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙘𝙩, 𝙄 𝙛𝙚𝙖𝙧 𝙗𝙚𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙝𝙞𝙢" Reminder: ⚠️ Various BSD x Male R...
34.4K 1.4K 38
*this book can be read as a sequel to my book Little Doll (Mafia!dazai x reader) or on its own.* Time doesn't change everything and four years into t...
5.1K 312 12
Before the intro, I would like to shout out a friend. They requested the idea be made into a fic so here it is. Sunshine and rainbows, they say. When...