The Mistake [Completed]

By Sophi__T

[Oak View Book 1] Leigh Danvers had it all; a career, more than enough money and a stable future but when he... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Ninteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Five

1.9K 75 5
By Sophi__T

The atmosphere back at the farm had suddenly changed and just for that afternoon the farm didn't feel like a place of work. She was there as a guest, the same as everyone else and wanted to enjoy herself as much as possible before resuming her position at the Donne farm as an employee the following Monday. But now sitting at the table in close proximity to the bride and groom Leigh felt as much a part of the family as Jamie had insisted she was back at the church. He was seated to her left and Brett to her right and they had the perfect view of the top table where the newlyweds were soon to be seated.

She glanced across at the top table and gave Becca a small wave- she was seated next to Maggie- and at the other end of the table were Harry's parents who Leigh hadn't seen since London all those years before. Seated next to them was Harry's brother who was his best man. Everyone stood from their seats as the newly wedded couple entered and a soft guitar instrumental piece played as they took their seats. Harry thanked everyone for attending and told them to enjoy the wedding breakfast as the waiters they had hired brought out the starters.

As they ate their food Leigh made small conversation with the other guests sitting on their table. Harry's sister, Ava was seated across from them with her husband Daniel and three small children. She was older than Harry, presumably around thirty-five but her free spirited conversation made her seem as though she was still living in her early twenties. She mentioned more than once that she and her husband were looking forward to experiencing the party life the small town had to offer. They were both spirited adults and there was no surprise the children were just as lively as their parents. But despite Leigh attempting to immerse herself solely in the conversation of their table it was difficult as she frequently glanced across the room to where Robert Ezara and his date were seated.

"You know him?" Jamie said as he leaned to the side to bring himself into her line of sight. His statement was more of a question and Leigh knew he was aware of just that as he had always kept up with what was happening in the media.

"My ex," she stated with a nod. "But you probably knew that already."

He gave her a lopsided smile clearly feeling a little embarrassed that he knew so much about her life. "You worked together on 'At The Top,' right?"

He already knew the answer but regardless he answered. "Yeah, for six years."

"Were you together all that time?" Jamie asked.

"Were were on and off a lot of the time. We were both really different but we loved each other- at least I thought we did. I dunno, it was a weird time in my life when I was struggling with my addictions and I never really felt anything. I was always searching for something that made me feel and at first I thought Robert was it but when the show wanted us to work together so often and be an on screen couple it made the time we spent together less special and what we found intriguing about each other just became annoying. We tried to make it work but when I left the business and turned down a reality show the network wanted us to do he changed. He acted as if he respected my decision to leave the business and focus on my music but he kept surprising me with cameras to film our dates. I had enough of LA in general by then so that's when I left and moved here almost a year ago."

"Well I'm glad you did," Jamie said.

A moment later Harry stood from his chair at the top table and made his way over to where Leigh was sat. "Can I have a quick word outside?" He asked. As soon as they stepped out into the cool air Harry immediately began to apologise. "I'm so sorry. I had no clue he'd be here..." She immediately knew who Harry was talking about. "I sent him an invite last year and we never received an RSVP. He turned up yesterday with a date and it completely slipped my mind, I should have told you before you saw them."

"You really don't need to apologise, Harry. He's your guest and even if I knew he was going to be here I still would have come. It wouldn't have made a difference to me."

"You're the best, you know that?" He said and pulled his long time friend into his chest.

"I didn't get a chance to say it earlier but congratulations."

"Thank you."

"You should get back in there, you don't want to keep your wife waiting," Leigh said.

"Save me a dance later?" Harry called from where he stood just inside the barn and once he earned his reply he disappeared back into the crowd.

The sun slowly began to set behind the the hills that rolled into the distance and Leigh stared out into the sunset feeling the need to be alone for a few more minutes before heading back inside. Footsteps approached from behind but Leigh didn't notice the person approaching until a gentle hand was placed onto her shoulder.

"I was lookin' for you," Brett said.

"You found me."

"I brought you a drink." He handed her one of the glasses he held expertly in one hand. She took a sip of the wine in the glass and savoured the taste as it rested on her tongue. It had been so long since she had indulged in casual drinking and by the worried expression on Brett's face he knew it too but was too nervous to say anything.

"You don't need to worry," she said with a small laugh. "I was a junkie not an alcoholic."

He was slightly taken back by her use of words but nodded nonetheless. He worried that her consumption of alcohol that day would be excessive and in turn lead to her searching for another source of entertainment. He worried about her in a deep kind of way that made him want to protect her from everything, including herself. He knew she was strong but she'd almost relapsed a couple of weeks prior and he would never be able to forgive himself if he caused that again. He'd made a vow to himself that he would protect her at all costs which was why he was searching for her now.

"Jamie told me about Robert," he said while looking out upon the field. "The uh...the woman he's with that's-"

"Alexis, I know."

"You do?"

"I saw the way you reacted when she walked in."

"I wasn't expectin' her to be here and honestly I can't understand why she would come to my sister's weddin'."

"I wasn't completely honest with you before," she said. "I knew Alexis back when I lived in LA. She came to visit the set of the TV show I was on and Robert showed her around. I didn't remember until I saw her a few minutes ago."

"When was this?" He asked curiously and Leigh was surprised he didn't seem angry at all.

She thought hard for a moment trying to remember when she had heard Alexis would be visiting the 'At The Top' set. "It was about five years ago."

"Five years?" He shook his head in disbelief and rubbed his forehead in frustration. "I'm gonna guess that was February?"

The thought for another moment. "Yeah I think it was."

He scoffed. "Course it was. She told me she was visitin' family and when she got back she broke off the engagement. But you know what I'm happy that part of my life is over...there's a lot less stress in my life now."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you that I knew her."

"You didn't need to," he assured her.

Jamie suddenly appeared from the barn doors. "They're about to do the speeches," he said and disappeared back into the room.The speeches and toasts began and presents were handed out from the bride and groom to their parents while the weddings guests listened carefully, laughed and cheered on the happy couple. At the end of the speeches Annalise stood to her feet and clinked a fork onto her glass to gain the attention of the guests.

"Thank you all for comin'. Each of you being here made this day more memorable. And seeing as we're celebrating the start of the rest of our lives there's somethin' I need to share with you all as well as my handsome husband." She turned to Harry and took his hand. She whispered into his ear and his bottom jaw dropped open.

"What?" He said stunned. "Are you sure?"Annalise nodded. "We're pregnant!" He shouted to the room and a loud roar of applause filled the space. Harry leaned over and kissed his wife on the lips and mumbled words of pure happiness into her ear.

When the applause died down Annalise began to speak again. "We have a special guest here today who has quickly become a very good friend of mine and she's agreed to help me with a little surprise," Annalise said as she looked in Leigh's direction. The crowd turned towards her and she could feel a hundred pairs of eyes on her as she stood to her feet and made her way to the small stage where the band had been playing by the dance floor.

The lead singer handed her a microphone and she nervously began to speak. "Mr and Mrs Bell will you please join me on the dance floor for your first dance?"

The band slowly began to play the opening melody to the song Marry Me by Train and Leigh took in a deep breath before singing the words into the microphone. As the song reached it's climax the wedding guests began to throw confetti in the couple's direction and some others joined them on the dance floor swaying to the music. As the final strings of the guitar were strung the crowd erupted into a loud applause once again.

"Dance with me," Brett said with a hand extended in Leigh's direction. She slipped her hand into his and stepped down the stairs and allowed Brett to lead her to a spot on the dance floor. She slithered her arms around his neck and he pulled her towards him. They were so close that she could feel the beat of his rhythmic heart against her chest and the soft sounds of his breathing put her mind at ease after being so far out of her comfort zone up on the stage.

"You have a beautiful voice," he whispered into her ear. He drew back to take in the reaction he had on her. Her cheeks had reddened slightly and it was only visible to him as he was so close. Her eyes fluttered shut as he leaned down and aimed his lips in the direction of hers but before they could share a kiss the familiar voice of Robert Ezara interrupted.

"Do you mind if we cut in?" He said talking directly to Leigh who didn't know what to say to his request. Brett's eyes were fixed on the woman standing beside Robert and with a curt nod he lifted his arm and allowed her to slip hers through it.

"You look stunning," Robert said as he place his hands onto Leigh's waist. She shuddered.

"What are you doing here?"

"Harry invited me to his wedding. It'd be rude of me if I didn't show up."

"You didn't even RSVP," she rolled her eyes as they swayed to the music but despite the song being cheery Leigh couldn't feel the same. The music that echoed through the barn seemed to do a good job of concealing the impending argument that was bound to happen as they spoke.

He ignored her statement. "It's really good to see you, Leigh. I missed you."

"I can't say the same."

"Why are you being like this? The Leigh I know would be happy to see me."

"Well that Leigh is gone now so at least that's one thing I have you to thank for. Now please let me go," she pleaded but he slid his hands lower on her waist and tightened his grip.

Robert shook his head and changed the topic of conversation. "I saw you on 'Life With The Danvers', I thought you said you'd never be on that show?"

"I did."

"Then why-"

"My mother, the woman who used us for publicity every minute we were together recorded our argument without me knowing and faked the release form."

An emotion flashed over his face and it appeared to be the only genuine one she'd seen from him in a long time. Robert looked saddened by her words. "I'm sorry Leigh."

"Well don't be because sorry doesn't change a thing."

"I can speak to my lawyers and see what can be done about it?" He offered.

"It's not worth it..."

The music toned down and came to an end and Robert released his grip on Leigh's waist. "Well if you change your mind you know I'm always a phone call away."

He turned to walk away but before he could get too far Leigh marched after him. "I have to know...why did you dance with me Rob, I know you and you never do anything without reason." She asked.

He shrugged. "You're right I don't but today I'm not here for me," he said. "Someone I know cares an awful lot about being here today and I'm not one to ask questions. I owed her a favour, that's it." Before Leigh could ask him what he meant Robert was already across the barn with a cigarette hanging from his lips and heading into the dark outside.

As she glanced around the floor for her perfect dance partner- the only man she wanted to share a dance with that evening- he was nowhere to be seen and neither was the woman he had held in his arms just minutes before.

"Would you like to dance?" Jamie asked, bringing Leigh from her thoughts. She was hesitant to agree but stepped back onto the dance floor with him nonetheless. Through the entire three minutes as the music played she couldn't seem to shake the thought that Brett was somewhere with his ex-fiance and that just didn't sit right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

295K 13.7K 45
Sara Carter was devoted in administrating her parent's ranch . She wasn't scared of getting her hands dirty and she was as brave as any man who worke...
2.7M 96.5K 38
Flannery Moore decides to take a year off of college and put her ambitions to be a voice teacher on hold to stay home amd keep her parents marraige f...
230K 6.1K 26
Fresh out of high school and finally home from Panama, 18-year old Stella Hawkley is surprised to find a new farm-hand waiting for her at the airport...
33.5K 1.5K 57
"Run!" Julia exclaimed before grabbing a hold of her bag and bolting away as soon as we heard the sound of sirens approaching us. I ran behind them...