The Choice

By I_kill_cupcakes

For centuries, the royal family of Aridia has hosted The Choice, the competition where the eligible daughters... More

A/N
character aesthetics
ladies' files
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
59
60
A/N

58

18.1K 600 142
By I_kill_cupcakes

Instead of explaining to us, Queen Amelia spoke in hushed tones with Amancio, leaving Carlos and I to figure things out. 

Amancio had removed the ropes that held Queen Amelia but not Carlos'. Queen Amelia had me tied up beside Carlos. King Albert was dead. Queen Amelia didn't seem fazed at the fact that her husband had been beheaded. She didn't seem affected by the fact that her husband was dead. Or the fact that her daughter was missing. Amancio couldn't even look at me. The guards wore red and black uniforms instead of their gold coloured ones. 

I didn't want to believe it. 

I couldn't. 

Amancio was my friend. I had feelings for Amancio. He helped save Colgate. He..he... 

"You're part of The Dark Lords, aren't you?" Tears pooled in my eyes for the hundredth time that day. 

"You did tell me she was smart, Amancio," Queen Amelia smirked deviously. 

"Amancio, tell me this isn't true. That...this is some kind of misunderstanding," Carlos stared at Amancio in disbelief. 

Amancio's eyes met Carlos'. His eyes were different. They were glassy, emotionless...cold. "Now you know the truth, Carlos." 

"Amancio...how could you?!" I yelled. "You're...part of them? They killed innocent people! They killed Fiona!" 

Amancio knelt before me, his face awfully close to mine. "None of the people who lie dead in this ballroom are innocent, Madeline." 

"You killed my father," Carlos spat, his chest heaving with anger. "How could you betray me like this? I thought we were brothers. How long have you been lying to me, you bastard?!" 

"Don't be so dramatic, Carlos," Amancio rolled his eyes. "It's nothing personal, I promise. I mean, you're still alive aren't you?" 

I shook with anger. How could Amancio betray Carlos? Betray me? How could he go all those weeks pretending to be on our sides will he plotted with the enemy? He was responsible for Fiona's death and I wanted nothing more than to strangle him. 

But there was also sadness. And disbelief. Maybe I was dreaming. Amancio was the good guy. 

But I wasn't. He watched me get tied up and didn't even try to intervene. 

"You knew this attack would happen," I thought aloud. "You told us to go to the drinks table on purpose." 

"Ding ding ding," Queen Amelia smiled, revealing a perfect row of teeth, so perfect they looked almost demonic. 

"Trust me, Madeline. You don't even know half of the story," Amancio shook his head. 

"Please, Amancio. You don't want to do this," I begged. 

Amancio hesitated, before turning around to face me. "You're right, Madeline. I didn't lie about my feelings for you. Those are very real. Stay with me. Join The Dark Lords and we can lead this rebellion together." 

Amancio's eyes stared into mine and I realized that I wasn't staring at the Amancio I knew. I was staring at a completely different person. A stranger. 

"I don't know who you are anymore Amancio," A tear ran down my cheek and plopped onto my dress. "You planned to...to kill people. I can't." 

An undecipherable expression flashed in Amancio's eyes before they turned cold and angry. 

"Fine, suit yourself, Madeline," Amancio seethed his eyes narrowing. 

Amancio stood up straight, straightening out his suit. "Guards, take them away." 

***

"You can't do this to us!" I shouted, holding onto the bars of the cell Carlos and I were put in. 

The cell was small and dark, with a small window too small to climb out of and too high to reach. It smelt of stale blood and urine and was completely bare, no furniture in sight. 

"There's no point Madeline," Carlos sighed. 

I turned around and wrapped my arms around Carlos. "We're going to be OK, Carlos." 

"When my best friend, the only man I trusted with my life turns out to be a traitor. My father's dead. My sister has been kidnapped along with half the nobles. While the other half lay on the ballroom floor- dead," Carlos' eyes were cold, his tone sharp. 

"I just don't understand any of this. Why would Amancio want to join The Dark Lords? Why would Queen Amelia? Aren't they an anti-monarchist group?" I thought aloud. 

Carlos shook his head, "Today was meant to be a good day, Madeline. We were supposed to be happy." 

"We...?" I trailed off. 

"I was going to pick you. You were my choice," Carlos laughed, with no emotion. 

"I thought you were going to pick Esme," I said. 

"That's who I was supposed to pick," Carlos sighed. "My...father and Amelia forced me to choose Esme. To dance with her. But I wasn't going to do it. I was going to choose you." 

I didn't know what to say. I stared at the dank cell floor, the images of dead nobles running through my mind. 

"My father...he's dead, Madeline. I'm an orphan- I have no one," Tears pooled in Carlos' eyes no matter how hard he tried to hold them in. 

I put my arms around him as he cried, his shoulders shaking with emotion. Hot tears fell down my cheeks. 

A few hours later, Carlos had fell asleep, his strong body against mine. However, I couldn't sleep. Whenever I closed my eyes the images of the dead bodies flashed, clear as day. I was hungry, tired, angry, sad and confused. I felt hopeless. 

Just as my eyes started drooping, the loud sound of metal hitting against metal woke me up. 

"Dinner's served, Romeo and Juliet," A burly guard snarled, sliding two slices of bread on a metal plate towards us. Along with one cup of water. 

"What is this?" I demanded. 

"Dinner, princess," The guard grinned, revealing rotten teeth. 

"This is hardly a snack. You can't expect both of us to survive on this," I stared at him in disbelief. 

"What, you nobles have never had to sleep with only a slice of bread in your stomach before?" The guard spat. 

"This is what this is? Spite? Payback? Revenge?" Carlos asked, eyes narrowed. 

"We call it...turning the tables. Now, I'll leave you both. You either eat or not- it doesn't get any better than that," He smiled, reveling in our suffering. 

Hesitantly, I picked up a slice of bread and took a tentative bite before ravenously eating the whole thing in less than 5 minutes. I'd never been so hungry before and it hurt me that people, Aridian citizens, actually felt like this. 

"So what next? We just wait for Amancio to release us? Because I doubt that's happening," Carlos scoffed. 

"We could find a way to escape on our own," I suggested, though I knew my plan was hopeless. 

The cell's door was made out of brass and the key was God knows where. 

I tried to reach the cell's window to no avail. I sighed, kicking the wall so hard my foot throbbed. 

"There's no point, they're going to leave us here till they need us for something," Carlos shook his head. 

I slumped down against the wall beside Carlos. "If there's one good thing that came out of this, it's that we're here together." 

"Thank you, Madeline. For being here for me," Carlos took my hand and I put my head on his shoulder. 

I lulled into a nightmare-filled sleep, Carlos' arms around me the only thing keeping me sane. 

*** 

"Wake up! Wake up!" The sound of metal hitting against metal startled me out of my restless slumber. 

I groaned. I had the worst headache and it didn't help that there were dried blood stains on my hands and dress. 

The guard looked at Carlos and I with a look of pure hatred. "Get up, you have visitors." 

"What visitors?" Carlos asked. 

"Carlos, Madeline," Amancio walked into the hallway. He'd changed clothes from the night before and looked clean... and oddly well rested. 

"Amancio, please, you don't want to do this," I begged.  

An undecipherable expression flashed in Amancio's eyes before he smiled, his eyes glinting mischievously. 

"I have someone I'd like you to meet," Amancio smiled, gesturing at someone to come forward. 

A man stepped into the hallway. He looked old, but not too old with grey thin hair but vibrant brown eyes. He looked at Carlos and I with a look I could only describe as amusement and disgust. 

"Where have I seen you before?" Carlos thought aloud. 

"Carlos, you've grown to look so much like your father," The man stressed the word father, his lips curling malevolently. 

Carlos flinched at the mention of his father. 

"Pity how Albert turned out, huh," The man smiled, deviously. 

"Who are you?!" I demanded. 

"Madeline, I'd like you to meet my father. Duke Law- better known as The Dark Lord," Amancio revealed. 

Sorry for the delay, I got caught up with birthday celebrations and school. Thanks for reading this far- 2 chapters left ahhh, can't wait till you guys see. 

Please comment, vote and share. And also please stay safe. xoxo. <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 84 27
BODYGUARD ROMANCE SMUT 20- year old Medina Westerfield has spent her whole life in the royal spotlight, and when it's finally her turn to take the...
118K 4.3K 52
Camila has lived and worked all her life in Hawthorne Manorhouse. It's all she's ever known along with the kindness shown by her boss after her mom's...
508 70 20
"Why?" A painful whisper escapes my mouth. My vision keeps disappearing from the corners of my eyes. I can't hear the loud thunders of this stormy n...
567 118 21
With the Kingdom Heir coming-of-age celebration fast approaching, the search for a match begins. It is decreed a dance will be held; an anonymous mas...