Young Blood ⏤ Ponyboy Curtis...

By windrixvilles

❝SHE'S STANDING ON A LINE BETWEEN GIVING UP AND SEEING HOW MUCH MORE SHE CAN TAKE.❞ in which Belinda Shepard... More

00 | extended summary
00 | epigraph
01 | dread
02 | reputation
03 | masks
04 | outsider
05 | birthdays
06 | seeing red
07 | disappointment
08 | aid
09 | hot pursuit
10 | an act of kindness
11 | change of heart
12 | escalating tensions
13 | mounting frustrations
14 | common ground
15 | a helping hand
16 | the greaser club
17 | little by little
18 | two steps backwards
19 | a late night visit
21 | rumbles
22 | boys who are reckless
23 | stargazing
24 | an unwanted visitor
25 | sparks fly
26 | together
27 | moving forward
28 | new beginnings

20 | halloween

2.7K 68 200
By windrixvilles

Halloween quickly approaches with dark rainclouds, stormy days and violent winds that reverberate through Tulsa. It's the perfect weather that matches the sinister and eerie mood of Halloween, shaking tree branches in the violent wind resembling outstretched, mangled arms. On the days leading up to Halloween, it rains heavily, hitting the bedroom window in a melodic and repetitious pattern that slowly lulls Billie to sleep. 

Curly curses on the morning of October 31, 1965, as bony, thin shoulders lean over his bowl of Sugar Stars, listening intently to the radio for the weather broadcast for Halloween.

The radio relays news of a pro-Vietnam War march in Washington D.C the previous day and Curly switches off the radio abruptly, causing silence to worm its way into the room.

"Hey!" Angela and Billie both protest.

"Why'd you do that, idiot? We wanna know the weather," Angela adds crossly, eyes furrowing and her lips thinning in displeasure.

"Couldn't stand listening to the news," Curly huffs darkly.

"How are we gonna know the weather now?" Angela complains.

"Why do you need to know the weather? It's going to be like how's it been for the past few weeks; windy and cold," Curly replies.

"So I know what to wear!" Angela answers. Upon Curly's blank expression she adds, "whether to wear a skirt or jeans. Christ, you're hopeless, Curly."

"Why do you think I need to know that?" Curly scowls.

"You're not the only one who wants to listen to the radio, idiot! Why do you think Billie and I are in the kitchen?" 

"To eat?" Curly responds. 

Angela's face is red with fury, eyes blazing at Curly. She's leaning forward in her seat, like she's going to stand up any second and do something that will escalate this fight further. Billie watches on helplessly. 

The fight is interrupted as Tim walks into the kitchen, dark hair like tar messed up and sticking in all directions and eyes slit from sleep. "Shut up, both of you," he snaps at Angela and Curly. "Can't you go one day without fighting?" 

"Only if Curly can go one day without being a brainless idiot," Angela mutters. 

To end this argument, Billie changes the subject by asking Curly, "are your friends alright with going trick-or-treating with us?" 

Tim squeezes Billie's shoulder in thanks as he passes by her. 

"Yeah," Curly responds through a mouthful of Sugar Stars. Both Angela and Billie wrinkle their noses in disgust. 

"And he wonders why your friend rejected him," Angela mumbles to Billie, who laughs into her pyjama sleeve. 

The rain holds off for the rest of the day, despite the dark storm clouds looming overhead ominously. After sunset, all four Shepard siblings stand outside the porch. Curly and Billie say goodbye to Tim and Angela, who head to Tim's car with Tim dropping Angela off at a friends' house before heading to a party at Buck Merrill's place, the rodeo partner of Dallas Winston. 

The twins sit on the porch steps, waiting for the other teenagers to arrive. Everybody had volunteered the Shepards' place as the meeting point, based on the fact that no adults would be around.

"Hopefully it doesn't rain," Billie says, staring up at the sky, where storm clouds still hovered overhead, like an annoyance. 

Curly snorts. "We really talking about the weather? Are we boring forty years old?" 

Billie nudges Curly in the side with her elbow. "Shut up." She can't help but laugh at her twin. 

Curly laughs along, wrapping Billie in a headlock. She squeals, trying to wriggle her way out of Curly's grip. "Let go!" 

The sound of footsteps and voices approaching the Shepard residence causes Curly to release Billie from his headlock. Billie sits upright, fixing her hair, which she had let Angela manipulate into soft curls with joy. Angela had been so happy when Billie had asked her for help, and afterwards, when Angela had pleaded Billie to let her do Billie's nails, Billie couldn't say no. 

A voice in the back of Billie's mind had wondered what Ponyboy would think when he saw her, with her dark hair curled and her nails a bright red. This wasn't a side to herself that Billie was used to, but as she looked at herself in the mirror after Angela was finished, she liked it. 

"Billie? Is that you?" Laura asks as she climbs up the stairs and hugs Billie. 

Billie hugs her back. "Does it look weird?" she asks, now unsure.

Laura shakes her head, her eyes wide. "No! I meant it in a good way. You look pretty."

"Thanks," Billie replies, smiling. 

She hugs Leo, who whispers in her ear, "Ponyboy doesn't know what he's missing out on."

Ponyboy and Johnny Cade arrive shortly. Billie waves hello to Johnny, who waves shyly before staring at his shoes. Ponyboy walks over to Billie, smiling softly at her. "Hi," he says. 

"Hi," Billie responds softly.

"You look really pretty," Ponyboy tells her. 

Billie's cheeks flush as her heart does somersaults in her chest. "Thanks. You look nice."

"Not as nice as you," Ponyboy says, hands in the pockets of his denim jacket as he looks away at the pavement, his neck turning red. 

Suddenly, Billie understands the appeal of boys. She understands what Angela means about boys. Especially when they make you feel special by complimenting you. Not once, but twice. 

Scott, Dean and Lloyd all arrive together. Lloyd has a grimace on his face as he sees Ponyboy and Johnny. "What are they doing here?" he asks, not even bothering to hide his displeasure. 

Billie sees the crestfallen looks Ponyboy and Johnny have as they look to the ground. It makes Billie frown, anger pooling in her veins. "We invited them and we want them here. If you don't like it, leave. I don't care," he snaps at Lloyd, glaring furiously at him. She's tired of Lloyd's unpleasant attitude, always sticking his nose at everybody and everything else without realising that he's the problem. He's foul, vulgar and not the type of person Billie wants to be around. Especially when he upsets the people Billie cares about. 

How can Curly be friends with someone like him? 

The others snicker discreetly, unlike Laura who laughs loudly. She stops when Leo nudges her in the side. Lloyd's eyes are wide in surprise, not expecting timid and reserved Billie Shepard to stand up to him. She can imagine what Lloyd is thinking: since when did Billie Shepard grow a spine? 

And here's her answer: since she's sick of people walking over her and those she cares about without a second thought. Since she's sick of  letting people walk over her. 

Lloyd doesn't respond, instead, swallows a lump in his throat and looks away, his cheeks flushed in embarrassment. Most likely at being left speechless by Billie Shepard of all people, and in front of a crowd which consisted of his friends and the two people he was trying to embarrass. 

When the Greasers begin walking, Ponyboy slides over to Billie. He slows his pace down, hinting to Billie that he wants some privacy from the others. They end up at the back of the group. 

"Thanks for what you did with Lloyd before," Ponyboy whispers softly to Billie, leaning in close to avoid Scott and Dean, who are in front of them, from overhearing. 

"It's no big deal," Billie responds, shrugging her shoulders, despite it being a very big deal to herself. 

Ponyboy shakes his head. "You stood up to your brother's friend ⏤ who is an ass, by the way." At this, Billie giggles, because it's true. Lloyd Simmons is an ass. 

"It felt good standing up to him," Billie admits. "I don't like the way he is to others, especially you. It's not nice, the way he treats people."

Ponyboy shrugs his shoulders. "Some people are just rude."

"You can say that again," Billie mutters as Lloyd looks over his shoulder and glares at her. 

It's past midnight when the teenagers decide to call it a night. Bags full of candy, they deem this Halloween a success. Leo reminds everyone to bring their candy to school tomorrow to eat at lunch. 

"Tonight's been a good night," Ponyboy says to Billie, leaning into her after they say goodnight to Laura and Leo. Scott and Dean had been the first to leave, followed by Lloyd who left without even saying goodbye. 

Now, just Billie, Ponyboy, Curly and Johnny remained. Curly and Johnny were slightly ahead, exchanging lollies that they didn't like. 

"It has," Billie agrees, savouring Ponyboy's warmth. She turns to face Ponyboy. "I'm glad you're alright, after what happened."

Ponyboy nods his head. "I am too. Thanks to you," he replies. "I can't thank you enough."

"You can thank me by giving me some of your Candy Necklaces," Billie tells Ponyboy. 

"Done," Ponyboy responds as he places several of the lollies into Billie's bag. "I don't want to go home," he admits, staring ahead. "It's been nice to... forget about everything, for one night, you know?"

Billie nods her head sadly. "Yeah, it has," she agrees. Nights like these: nights, where worries and struggles fade to the back of your mind, as your entire being is in the moment and everything else seems so trivial, doesn't happen often. More often than not, people on the East Side are weighed down by problem after problem after problem, struggling to climb out of a neverending hole to the end of an issue that doesn't exist. 

Johnny calls Ponyboy over, saying he's going to leave. He gives Billie a shy wave. 

Ponyboy looks over at Billie. "Guess I have to leave now." Ponyboy looks almost... sad at having to leave, which makes Billie's stomach do somersaults at the thought, at the possibility that Ponyboy didn't want to leave her. 

Because she didn't want him to leave either. 

But like everything, this night has to come to an end, and as Ponyboy wraps his arms around Billie for a hug, Billie wishes that time would just stop, just so she could experience this moment forever. 

"Bye," Ponyboy whispers softly. 

"See ya," Billie whispers back, her heart rapidly beating in her chest. 

"You have it bad for him," Curly tells his sister, nudging her in the side after Ponyboy and Johnny leave. 

Billie doesn't respond. 

On Wednesday ⏤ three days after Halloween ⏤ is when Billie realises something is wrong. For the last two days, Scott hasn't been at school, something that is uncharacteristically wrong for him. When asked by Laura and Leo, Billie couldn't give them an answer as to why Scott is away.

Standing at the front of the school in leather jackets are Curly and Dean, looking out of place with unlit cigarettes in their mouths. 

Dean nudges Curly, who was staring at a black-haired Soc girl, when he sees Billie walking down the front steps of the school. 

"What are you two doing here?" Billie asks Curly and Dean. 

"Do I need a reason to visit my twin sister after school?" Curly asks. 

"It's about Scott," Dean blurts out. "Something's wrong and we need your help."

"My help?" Billie asks, surprised. 

"Yes," Dean answers. "Besides us ⏤" he points to himself and Curly, "⏤ you're the only other person he really trusts."

"What's happened?" Billie asks as the three teenagers begin walking, with Billie in the middle between the two boys. 

"Dean'll tell you. He knows more than me," Curly says, prompting Dean to start talking. 

"Scott ran into his mom on Monday," Dean begins as Billie sucks in a deep breath. Anytime Scott's mother was involved, it was always bad. That woman didn't have a nice bone in her body. 

"He's been in his room ever since," Dean continues, "he was crying. The only other time I've seen him cry was when his parents kicked him out."

"We don't know what she said to him," Curly adds, "but we're hoping that us three can get Scott to come out of his room."

"Do you know what happened the day he left home?" Billie asks, feeling as though what happened that day was the key to this issue. 

Dean shakes his head. "He refused to talk about and Mom and I didn't push him. Didn't want him to freak out and do a runner."

"Is Lloyd going to be there?" Billie asks, really hoping the answer is no. 

Dean shakes his head. "Lloyd would just make things worse. You know him."

Billie silently agrees, glad Lloyd isn't going to be there.

When Billie, Curly and Dean arrive at the Baileys' house, Hazel has successfully coaxed Scott out of his room. Seated on the sofa beside Hazel, he looks up when he sees he has visitors. His eyes are red and puffy, confirming that what Dean said was true: Scott has been crying. 

"What are you guys doing here?" Scott asks upon seeing the Shepard twins. 

"To see you," Billie and Curly answer simultaneously, as everybody laughs. 

When the laughter dies down, Scott says, "sometimes I forget you two are twins."

"I'm the smart twin," Curly jokes, as Dean and Scott snort. 

"I haven't forgotten the time in middle school you forgot what two plus two equals, Curly," Dean responds, shaking his head. This time, it is Billie's turn to laugh. 

"Are you feeling better now?" Hazel asks Scott, with a hand on his back comfortingly. 

Scott nods his head. "I am."

"Are you ready to talk? Your friends are here to help you," Hazel says to Scott. 

Scott nods his head. "On Monday, my mom said some cruel things to me. It brought up everything from when I left home."

Hazel gently presses Scott, "do you want to talk about it?" 

Scott nods his head, letting out a shaky breath. "It's about time you know why I left home." Without looking anybody in the eyes, Scott takes a shaky breath. "The ⏤ the reason I left home is because... I'm ⏤ I'm gay. I like guys."

There's a heavy pause in the Baileys' living room, before Dean walks out, slamming the door shut behind him. 

"Oh God," Scott panics, his head in his hands. "Shit, shit. You all hate me ⏤ Dean hates me."

Hazel pulls Scott in for a hug. "I don't love you any less, Scott. You know you're like a son to me."

"This doesn't change anything," Billie tells Scott, kneeling down in front of him. She takes her hand and squeezes it. "You're still my friend."

"And mine too," Curly adds, resting a hand on Billie's shoulder. "Now I'm going to go and find Dean to smack some sense into him." The door slams shut behind Billie, letting her know that Curly has left. 

She really hopes Curly finds Dean and sorts him out. Because if Dean isn't accepting... she doesn't know what that will do to Scott. 

"He hates me, doesn't he?" Scott's panicking, distraught. "This is why I didn't want to say anything ⏤"

Hazel takes Scott's hands into her's. "It will be okay, honey. Dean will come around. If he doesn't, he will have his angry mother to deal with."

"Dean's in shock," Billie tells Scott, trying to get Scott to believe her words and trying to make herself believe her words. "Curly's with him. He'll sort it out."

"Is it really a shock?" Scott asks bitterly. "I've never dated any girls before. Anyone, really."

Half an hour is spent with Scott fidgeting on the sofa, worrying over Dean's reactions. Over Scott's head, Billie and Hazel exchange concerned looks. Billie hopes that Curly sorts this out, for Scott's sake. 

Just as the sun begins to set, Curly and Dean arrive, swinging the door open with a loud creak. Billie, Scott and Hazel all look up expectantly, as Curly and Dean enter the living room. Dean has a bright red mark on his cheek and Hazel gives Curly a disapproving look as Curly looks away with as much innocence as he can muster, hands behind his back. 

"When you said you were going to smack some sense into my son, I didn't think you meant you would smack him," Hazel tells Curly as she comes back into the living room, handing Dean some ice for his face. 

As Dean places the ice to his cheek, Curly replies, "I had to get him to stop and listen somehow."

Dean steps forward with an apologetic expression on his face. "I'm sorry, Scott, for acting like that. I was shocked, that's all." He then adds, "who you like doesn't change anything. You're still one of my best mates. You're like a brother to me."

Scott has a relieved look on his face. "Thanks," he says to Dean. "I don't want anything to change. You're like a brother to me too."

"Nothing will," Dean promises Scott. 

"So," Curly drawls out, "have you ever had a crush on any of us before?"

Billie smacks her face in exasperation. "Curly!" she exclaims, wondering how she could be related to someone who is so dense. 

"What?" Curly responds. "It was a joke!" 

Scott laughs. "It's alright," he tells Billie. To Curly, he answers, "never. You guys are like brothers to me, that's weird."

"See," Curly says to Billie, nudging her hard in the side with his elbow. "Sorry about punching you, man," he apologises to Dean, "but you kinda were being a dick."

Dean nods his head. "I did deserve it." He takes off the ice on his face. "This is gonna hurt tomorrow."

"I'll leave you kids to it, then," Hazel says, standing up. "I'll be in my room if you need anything." 

Once Hazel has left the room, Curly immediately asks Scott, "how long have you known?"

"Since I was fourteen," Scott admits. 

"Have you kissed any guys before?" Dean asks curiously. 

Scott nods his head, "yeah I have." Upon Curly opening his mouth, "and I'm not going to say who," Scott hurriedly adds as Curly closes his mouth in disappointment. 

"I'm sorry for how nosy Curly is being," Billie apologises on behalf of his brother. "I didn't realise he was such a gossip."

"I'm not," Curly huffs, "I'm just taking an interest in my mate's love life. If that's a crime, then lock me up."

"It's okay," Scott tells them. "More than okay, really. It's nice to finally talk about this with you guys."

Curly lies on the sofa, facing Billie with his hands on his stomach. "What are we going to do for Tim's birthday?" he asks Billie. 

Billie shrugs her shoulders. "I don't know," she responds honestly. "We should talk about it tonight." Tim is going to be out all night, meeting up with Todd Fitzgerald, leader of the Brumly Boys. 

"Sounds good." Curly nods his head. "I wanna make his birthday a good day, you know? He's been through a lot of shit."

Billie nods her head, agreeing. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8K 144 11
"There's a difference between you and I, Austin. I am shit! I am going nowhere in life! I am stupid and worthless, no one looks at me without thinkin...
192K 4.5K 64
his eyes are a little swollen. he has flushed them with water after a night of crying and thinks no one will notice. but she, like the rest of the wo...
1M 22.5K 34
Bluebelle Thompson is a seventeen-year-old who moves to Tulsa, Oklahoma. She makes friends with three boys around her age when they meet at the drive...
1.4K 88 13
After graduating college, Austin Curtis returns home without really knowing what to expect. Time has helped her mature, but through the years she spe...