Zain's choice ✔️

By Zeeemibs

Zain only wants the best of everything. So when his mom forces him to take Mira to wife, he refuses to even g... More

Preface
1. The fairytale
2. Wake up call
3: Them numbers
4: Does he know?
5: Broken pieces
6: overzealous
7: Cured
8: Big Madame
9: Not the proper way
10: His move
11: corporate bankruptcy
12: Marrying Zain
13: So not savvy
14: In his mind
15: Recourse
16: Duende
17: Adventure
18: Devious maid
19: Gymming
20: Overt conclusion
21: Counterpoint hair trigger
22: One hellish month
23: His quirk
24: From different sides of a coin
25: Vengeance or life!
26: Freak show
27: Budding ties
28: Destiny writes
29: Wrapping up
30: An old flame
31: The missing 'I'
33: Marmie's predicament!
34: The key
35: Youngest daughter
36: Strategy
37: Benazir 1
38: Benazir 2
39: Barack's claim
40: North trouble
41: Saad's fate
42: The clown saga
43: Moving Key
44: Her will is his
45: That strange emotion
46: Eclipsing the doldrums
47: Bedeviling solution 1
48: Bedeviling solution 2
49: Bedeviling solution 3
50: Bedeviling solution 4
51: Bedeviling solution 5
52: A tiny spark of hope
53: Her state of mind
54:
55: A seal of fate 1
56: A seal of fate 2
57: A seal of fate 3
58: A seal of fate 4
59: Another puzzle
60: A tale of keys
61: Dry eyed
62: Will of nature
63: Oblivious
64: One wish
65: Hakuna matata
66: The heir of king
67: Not red
68: Rescuing the damsel
69: Kamkam bros
70: The Alero
71: Poor daddy
72: All about family
73: What they thought
74: Anhedonia 1
75: Anhedonia 2
76: A quiet ending 1
77: A quiet ending 2
Epilogue
Author's note

32: Runaway

858 202 38
By Zeeemibs

Zain's POV

International conference on artificial intelligence and robotics.

I am supposed to represent Nigeria for this conference.

And for once, a company from Nigeria has something to present. A breakthrough. Our own copyrighted research and our very own amazing results!.

We have created an AI which can perform some security maneuvers only humans should have been able to do.

Everyone is looking forward to it.

I would have feigned illness. I could have chosen to give an excuse or let one of the co-designers present our paper.

But I didn't.

Investors are already jittery. And my various partners on several subsidiaries of King Co. are beginning to question my state of mind.

Everyone is doubting me.

Not to my face, no. But behind office doors, over a cup of tea and whispers within sheltered eardrums.

If i don't present this paper, i would have proven that something is wrong with me.

Moha is daring me to present the paper because he is still not sure what exactly is wrong with me.

He thinks I have personal issues and it's affecting my work. He suspects my separation from Mira and the rift between me and Momsie.

I wish that were the case.

"This is why I don't trust people in love! So damn inconvenient!" He had scowled.

And for the first time, I feel afraid to say my mind. I feel like I am physically incapable of gainsaying him. I feel fear when he is so angry. When the heavy disappointment is directed at me, I can't bear it.

Now I know what panic attack means.

According to the director of information in my AI Research facility, I am only to read out the paper prepared before hand and then answer a few simple questions. I can always sidestep them all by stating we are holding off more info until our technology is ready for the market.

But who am I kidding? My competitors will all be there and they will try to mock me and take advantage of me.

For so long, everyone was skeptical that a young man like me was too ambitious. And then I made the first technology, the second, the third...

And no one dares to look down on me.

Yet this is me. At the precipice of a dive towards greatness. I could join the world super powers behind current successes in the technical world!

And I did do it. I have proven I deserve to stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of the best.

And it is time I prove that I am not only a capable business man, in the technical world, I am a force to be reckoned with!

And it's time.

But I am such a mess.

I would probably make a fool of myself and be mocked for life.

Everything will be ruined.

My efforts, my pride, my achievement..

It will all amount to nothing.

And I will lose the company. I don't even know why!

Knowing all these, I should cower away and hide myself, play for time for as long as I can. But it's not me. Even if I am not myself, at least, I am not a coward.

I don't know what color of a fool I am. But I went.

And I am standing before what feels like the entire world.

These serious faces, looking at me with curiosity and blankness.

I began to to sweat badly.

My hands shake as I try to clutch the USB device in my hand.

My heart beat is increasing every second.

My mind stops to think. I began to shake with terrifying fear.

I think I am going to faint.

I can hear someone calling my name in the mike asking me to begin.

I can see the sea of faces, which are suddenly looking mocking, increasing my mood.

And my coworkers, looking frightened as they stare at me.

It's over. I can walk out on my two legs. Or I can stay and faint, and confirm whatever everyone is thinking.

So I rushed towards the exit and I continue to shake my head at every question, every concerned scrutiny.

I am breathing hard when I reach outside. The cool air blows over my skin and I shiver from cold because I am drenched to my underclothes!

I finally get swarmed by the press and that was the last thing I can remember.

When I woke up, I see myself lying down and I don't want to wake up. I want to die. Let me just die. What else is there to lie for?

I have hit a giant wall and I can no longer think straight. I have lost focus on everything. When I think of praying, I feel myself grow cold with dread and I instantly drop the idea.

"Alhamdulillah. You are awake!" I hear Marmie's voice.

Do you know those times when you are in so much pain and someone show you a little care and you break down into a tiny specks of messy puddle?

I feel this moment. Just hearing her voice is enough to shatter whatever self disciplined courage remains inside me.

So I sit and face her.

Marmie is looking like her strong self and for once, I want to dissolve in her arms.

My eyes wells ith tears as I stare at her. We are so silent for so many minutes.

And then Marmie stand up and walks over to me.

She puts her hands on my head and rubs my silky tresses.

I can sense she is just pretending strength to add to my depleted reserve. For some reason, her strength gives me great strength and I love that she didn't embarrass me by hugging me or consoling me with pity filled words.

This is why I am closer to my aunt honestly. She isn't as emotional as my own mother. And whenever she is, she tries to disregard such frivolity.

As she withdrew her hands from my head, she prays for me. I can hear her praying in my ear and I feel a coolness in my mind.

I don't et her to stop. Ever.

I want to repeat after her. Yet I can't and it scares me more.

But the steady notes of her voice lulls me to sleep and today, I dreamt of nothing as I walk in dreamland.

Mira's POV

I am anxious for Marmie to return. She went to see Zain a couple of hours ago but she is yet to return.

I pace in my given room, wondering when she will be back.

If I was myself today, I don't doubt I will be wondering just what the heck spurred Zian to build such a house!

It's not as big as our house at Lagos. But it's close. The compound is bigger though with such lush greenery I have never set my eyes on before.

It's a totally modern house with everything money can buy.

Seriously, even I am afraid to walk on the floor because it feels like my heels will somehow break the glass looking floor coverings.

Anyway, I don't care about the house. I care about what's going on out there!

Just the fact that Marmie did not tell me where she is going is enough to give me chills.

Zain is definitely in trouble!

Malam Yarima did not leave the airport. The kind man dropped us off as if his plane were a taxi and left for his own errands.

I am here, with an empty house and an eerie mind!

Finally, Marmie decides to show up. I moved to the front if the house waiting for them to come home.

And then the car zooms in like a dream. My relief is instant.

I quickly hid behind a pillar and watch them walk out of the car.

Marmie says something in her cool voice so I can't hear her.

Zain laughs at whatever it is she said and bends to collect her handbag.

She shakes her head and I can hear her tell him she will hold her own bag. He shakes his head and collects the bag anyway.

"I am relieved you are here Marmie. Let me thank you in small ways" his smile is as dazzling as I remember.

Suddenly, I am stuck in a time zone where I can only look at him. I can see he looks fine. More than fine.

He leaves his hair loose behind his back. And there is a four o clock shadow of his beard in his face, making him look dark and oh so handsome!

I can't breathe, I can't understand it myself.

I am just staring at them walk past me as they spoke in low tones.

Like a fool, I followed their walk until I cannot even see them again.

I touch my chest, feeling the sweat that has poured over me from extreme emotional stress.

My heartbeat is feeling like a drumbeat in a whacking festival. I can already tell I am in more trouble than I originally thought.

I have to keep him at bay. We might never be. And if that happens, will I be able to handle it?

I need to teach y heart to be able to really let go and be calm.

How I can do that, I must look at the manual someday. I am certain someone already wrote about it!

I went back to my room and finally, at ease he is fine, I unpacked my clothes.

I walk into the closet and my mouth drops open in shock.

Wooooow!

It looks like a designer shop wallahi. I can already imagine shopping for so many shoes, bags and clothes I can use to bring this place to life!

Except I can't.

With a sigh of yearning, I drop my trolley bags on the side and brought out things I will only need in a few days.

Marmie has made up her mind that my rise is too dangerous. So she said we are leaving America together.

In fact, she deliberately told them to make my visa a three day trip. Just like hers so I can't find an opponents to stay.

But I have other plans.

I told Malam Yarima my problem and he extends my visa tot here months.

It's still relatively calm in America. There are too many rules on Covid-19 and I honestly forget about the certain virus except now, I am being reminded every chance in this country. I swear, they make me look irresponsible!

Anyways, Marmie finally brings my food and she says to me "Mira, he can't see you. Just remain in your room until it is time for us to leave. If he goes out, I will tell you so you can get some fresh air" she warns.

I nod my head. So I am a prisoner here kuma!

I didn't see him again in the the two days I spent there. And despite desperately wanting to, I didn't even hear his voice.

I don't mind because I have my own plans.

If all goes according to plan, I will be able to see him often.

Anyways, I pack my things and sneaked out to meet the driver Malam Yarima has sent to pick me up.

I left a sorry note for Marmie.

I am certain she will regret trusting me. But I can't waste away in Nigeria without doing anything! It's not my style gaskiya. I'll go crazy wallahi.

So the driver takes to Manhattan where Malam Yarima has booked an apartment for me.

I load into this small but comfortable condo and sigh to myself.

Is this the same as running away I wonder!

A/N

I am not feeling well so the chapter is short.

I'll try to write a super long chapter tomorrow in sha Allah.

Thanks for reading!

Bye!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 2.5K 57
A love story❤️❤️ Zainab a widowed must find her way to take care of her 3 children, when she met Ammar she thought he's her key to that happiness eve...
9.4K 1.5K 53
In this life there are people who love for the sake of Allah (swt) while some love for materialistic things,what will happen when our sweet and carin...
12.3K 587 25
Disclaimer: I don't own pics music or show. Warning, may have triggering topics, please be advised.
134K 12.3K 58
Book one in the Dantata Series She joked about getting a husband at the wedding. He was the groom's cousin. They say some love stories start when you...