The Makings Of a Prince | Cha...

By Toastter_Treatts

What made a prince? What was the exact moment that a prince culminated into a king? At first, Yongbok though... More

Introduction
| Prologue |
| II |
| III |
| IV |
| V |
| VI |
| VII |
| VIII |
| IX |
| X |
| XI |
| XII |
| XIII |
| Epilogue |

| I |

747 51 17
By Toastter_Treatts

A prince took care of the people. A prince took care of himself. A prince took care of small political problems when the time arises. He wakes up early to ready himself to bear the weight of responsibility and the problems of the kingdom. He washes himself clean of any dirt or any impurities from the day prior. He hosts meetings with the officials to share his wisdom with them; He leads them and gives them insight into his developing power. He attends his studies and works diligently to set an example for—not just the royalty and noblemen, but the servants and the lower class that worked hard under him. He doesn't panic when things go south. He doesn't show weakness, for the people will revolt without his confidence. He stays calm at all times, for he is the face of the kingdom. And when he retires for the night, there is an infinitesimal moment where he feels vulnerable.

However, what turns a prince into a king? What is the exact moment where a prince culminates into a ruler and not just some mascot waiting for their turn to lead?

And what makes a good ruler into a great ruler? If a great kingdom and a powerful army is a given, what does the king have to do to continue the upkeep? Or begin it at all?

For that, Yongbok believes it had something to do with the upbringing a king had as a prince.

As the king, he didn't take care of the people, but everything within and surrounding areas of the kingdom. He didn't only take care of himself, but a king took care of everyone in the court. He took care of every political problem with no exceptions. He wakes up early, having never gotten proper rest the night prior. He keeps his impurities and problems the next day and the day after—a king can't let go of a problem without properly solving it. A king doesn't set an example, for he is at the top of the pyramid; no one can be equal to him. No one could work as hard as him, for no one can be better than the king. He doesn't panic or show weakness—not even to his family, for the people will crumble without his confidence after placing their trust in him for years. He stays calm, providing a connection between the heavens and the people; he is the heart of the kingdom. And when the king retires for the night, he can't be vulnerable, for any form of vulnerability provides an opening for his enemies to attack him.

But if a king is twice—thrice—quadruple times a prince is, how could a prince even live up to the expectations placed upon himself?

"No. Tell them they're on their own. Especially after trading with Goguryeo. They swore their alliance to us first and Goguryeo second."

"No. They must do the ritual on their own. Just because one tiny village is in need, doesn't mean that it requires the entire attention of the court."

"No. Execute him. There's no need for a conference."

A king requires undivided attention. How could a prince become a king if these small, useless problems keep appearing? When villages, despite being self-sufficient and more, continue to make mistake after mistake? Royalty shouldn't need to affiliate themselves with such problems. There were much bigger problems that needed tending to, problems that Yongbok couldn't even assist in.

What help would he be, anyway?

"The scholars and looking for you, you know."

Yongbok turned around, acknowledging a familiar puppy-eyed individual behind him, jumping off his horse and dusting himself off. The older scoffs, turning back toward the river he sat in front of, silken royal hanbok dirtied from having fallen off his horse earlier. He leaned back on his palms, his Baji rolled up to his knees so he could dip his feet into the water.

"You're not fishing?" Seungmin questions, arching an eyebrow at the freckled prince. He crouched beside the younger, lifting and bunching his overcoat into his lap to keep them from touching the dirt. He leans over to glance at the river before grimacing in disgust and shuffling a step or two back.

"I don't want to fish," the freckled prince mutters, furrowing his eyebrows as he continued to stare at the rippling water. Seungmin whipped his head toward the younger with wide eyes. Honestly, it surprised Yongbok too. Fishing had been his life. It was one of the few ways he could escape the expectations placed upon him.

It relaxed him; it was one of the few things he excelled at, with no one judging him for doing so. It was the one thing that connected him to the happier days that seemed so distant now. Days that even he couldn't fully decipher—were they even real?

"Tell them I won't be back until later. I'm busy," Yongbok says. He could feel the stare Seungmin had on him, how his eyebrows furrowed and a frown settled on his lips, before sighing and placing his arms on his knees.

"I won't be going back either," he shrugs, trying to make himself as comfortable as he could without dirtying his hanbok.

Seungmin was the only one in the palace he could trust. He didn't have the baffling expectations of Yongbok; he didn't have the overbearing, pretentious personalities of the officials (despite being the son of one). Sure, he acted like a pompous, frugal nobleman, but that was just Kim Seungmin. That was one thing that made him specifically 'Kim Seungmin.' And sometimes, he had a heart of gold to those he knew.

"I heard about all of those villagers you turned down," Seungmin murmurs, Yongbok turning away. After all that, Seungmin shouldn't start battering him on this matter now. Yongbok didn't want Seungmin to change, he didn't want the younger to act like the officials at his side. "That was kind of cruel."

"Seungmin, please, not now," the freckled prince huffs, kicking the water from the river.

"I'm not trying to scold you or anything but... They needed help, you know."

"There are other, more important villages that need our help. Villages that provide Baekje with so much more that the ones that ask become leeches to the kingdom's ass," Yongbok hisses, Seungmin turning toward his friend with furrowed eyebrows.

"I'm just saying—"

"Those villages are more than capable to protect themselves. Don't you notice? Father doesn't send any guard over there, and they've done fine for all these years. What makes them think I'll send them guards?"

Yongbok couldn't help it. In order for a prince to become a king, he had to place much more important matters first, those smaller villages second.

Yongbok never wanted to do this. He never asked to become a prince that dealt with the smaller issues—someone who ultimately made up his father's image. He had to think and prioritize as a king, not some dumb prince.

He had to grow up. Face the real world instead of dwelling in the fantasies of his premature self.

The two sat in silence, Yongbok grateful for Seungmin's withdrawal. He knew he'd upset the younger if he brought up another political issue, and that was the last thing Yongbok wanted. Not because he couldn't take another harsh criticism at his pride, but because he didn't want to fight with his friend.

When the sun climbed the peak of the sky, and Yongbok's mind wandered toward lunch, the two perk up at the sound of an additional neighing.

Another horse halted ways away from Seungmin and Yongbok, beside their horses, who nickered greetings toward each other. The guard jumped off the saddle, bowing to the freckled prince.

"His Majesty, the king, would like to see you." 

—-

"Why?"

Why did Yongbok even ask? Couldn't he just take orders, be the proper subordinate to the king? Was it because a part of him thought it'd be useless? Was it because this just seemed like a coup in disguise to take Yongbok out of the picture? Was it because Yongbok just didn't want to?

"Because you're the prince and I'm telling you to go to this village," the king says. "There were reports of this village housing spies."

"Isn't that too dangerous of a job for me?" Yongbok furrows his eyebrows, gripping his knees. "Why don't you send a general? Or a troop of guards?"

"I am. With you leading them."

"But royal father—" Yongbok flinches when the King's eyes flicker up at him, sighing and almost slouching if it weren't for the constant thought of his princely image. "This isn't a matter for a prince."

"Does it matter who it's for or not?" The king asks. He opens his mouth before coughing, clearing his throat. "This is your chance to show the kingdom you're willing to take down Goguryeo spies yourself if needed. It'll also assert your power down over by the Southeast."

Yongbok could scoff at that. Assert his power down by the Southeast? Those living there, while under their territory, might be the farthest thing to loyal to the throne. If anything, they might've forgotten that they lived under Baekje! Why even assert his title when he couldn't even do that here, at the capital? If he didn't know any better, he'd think that this was some intricate ploy to ship him away. But his father wouldn't do that. Sadly.

Yongbok knew the king wouldn't do that to his only heir.

"Yongbok," he sighs when he notices the young prince's hesitance, knitting his eyebrows together. "You've always said you wanted to do something more than handle issues with small villages."

How is this any different? Instead of resolving each trivial issue from the comfort of the palace or within the meetings with the officials, he had to go out himself and solve these problems. Maybe the officials had enough of him and asked the king to teach Yongbok something instead of letting the young prince sit on his ass all day.

But instead of doing it himself, the king just sends his son out to the wilderness by himself, with a flock of useless guards to protect him when needed.

"You won't understand their problems unless you get a hands-on approach, my mother used to say." Yongbok frowns, nodding aimlessly as he stared down at his hands, bunching the silk of his hanbok. "After you return, I'll allow you more responsibilities."

But that was it, wasn't it? Yongbok didn't want anymore responsibilities on his shoulders if all they provided was meaningless experience he wouldn't ever use. And those said responsibilities were probably nothing more than everyday chores, problems, and such that shouldn't even be under the prince's jurisdiction.

But it was fine, Yongbok guessed. It was fine. He was the prince, his father was the king. No matter how long of years he's spent as a royal, he'll always be a king's subordinate. A subordinate had to respect and follow the superior, and that includes princes, grand and crown, alike.

"You're dismissed," the king said when not another word falls from Yongbok's mouth—for the better too. Who knows what other idiocy the crown prince spewed? He just wasn't cut out for this, wasn't he? Was there some defect when he was born? A defect that couldn't lead him to become a prince that just followed orders: responsible, respectful, powerful.

"Yes, royal father." Yongbok picks himself off the cushion before bowing. "I'll depart tomorrow morning."

---

AAAAAAAA ANOTHER BOOK

AND MY FIRST PREQUEL!! 

I'm sorry this took awhile to come out, I just had a burnout in the middle of writing, but now I'm back!! After a month, jfc, but I really do hope y'all enjoy this book :)

Also i just wanted to say thank y'all for all the support y'all gave AKTP. I know y'all asked for a sequel, but as I'm writing the plot synopsis, I'm realizing how much I don't like the plot :/ So bear with me, it's going to take a long time before the first chapter is even published (but then again, I didn't even START writing AKTP after a year of leaving it on a shelf)

But, I'm hoping to write other books soon :) Hopefully lmao. 

Also, I'm sorry if Yongbok isn't like the Yongbok in AKTP. Remember, this took place YEARS before the events of Minsung. 

ANYWAY, enough of me talking, I hope y'all enjoy reading this! I'll be updating on Tuesdays (Maybe Sundays. but since this is a short book, probably not).

Much Love, Ly <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

174K 6.5K 67
[COMPLETED: UNEDITED VERSION!] Han Jisung, a sophomore in college. His living arrangement is a predicament he didn't anticipate, living with 7 other...
85K 2.6K 29
this is a hyunlix ff because they are underrated : this is also my first kpop story so hope you enjoy #3 {6/12/22}
30.3K 3.7K 33
~~ I wanted to be the drizzle that brings life to your world. Not the deluge that would wash away your happiness. ~~ A story where an innocent and so...
60.6K 3.4K 71
I know that I'm a side character in his story.. He's friends with everyone and a literal sunshine He's a social butterfly & everyone likes him He'...