Dandelion Gone (COMPLETED)

By backupkbr

- BOOK THREE! - One would have thought that Jessica was used to pain by now. In fact, that was the complete o... More

Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Epilogue
15 Years Later...

Chapter 03

35 2 0
By backupkbr

Tunnel Glory

It was late in the night when we took action. Newt, Frypan, and I decided to wait by the truck for Thomas. We knew he would try to sneak away at night and go rescue Minho on his own. He, of course, would attempt to blow it off like it was nothing, but, the three of us knew better. When a figure emerged from the top of the steps, Newt got ready to turn the light on. 

"Where do you think you're going then?" Newt said, flipping on the light. 

Thomas looked dumbfounded.

He sighed, "Newt,"

"Don't be a twat about it," Newt walked to Thomas and took his bag, "We're already in."

"No. No, not this time," Thomas shook his head, "Look, even if we find Minho there's no guarantee we make it back from this."

"Well, you'll need all the help you can get then, won't you?" I say.

I reached across my body and pull the door handle on the car open to reveal Fry sitting in the drivers. I look back to Thomas, who just scoffs.

"Well, we started this together," I began, "May as well end it that way, too."

Thomas nods slowly, "Okay. Let's go get him back."

With that, we hopped in the truck. Fry and Thomas in the front, Newt and I in the back. We drive off, fully unprepared of what's to come.

Throughout the ride, I mainly stayed quiet. The drive was long and painful - the only thing I really enjoyed was the view. It was mainly dessert with plants and hard, dried, sandy ground, but the sunrise was nice. When the sun fully came out, it was as hot as could be. I started sweating through my clothes and it never stopped. Nothing seemed interesting to me until we passed an abandoned car and billboard that read, 'MANDATORY INFECTION CHECK. 2 Miles Ahead.' 

When we decided to come to a complete stop, we were surrounded by deserted vehicles. In front of us was a long dark tunnel, waiting patiently to swallow us whole. The four of us got out of the truck and gawked at the thing.

"You want us to go in there?" Asked Newt, "I don't want to sound to negative, but, if I were a Crank, that's exactly where I would be."

"I don't think we have much of a choice," Thomas said.

A pause.

"All right, I get shotgun," Newt said.

"I'm driving," I stated.

I walked quickly to the driver's side and yanked the door open. Getting in, a very concerned Thomas was hopping in the rear driver's side. I turned on the engine, pushed the gas pedal, and started to maneuver the rust bucket through the opening of the tunnel. Once we were in, we got shrouded in complete darkness. Newt flicked on the lights and held out a flashlight so we could see the sides of the road.

"Well, here we go," Fry commented.

"Yeah, just take it nice and slow," Newt said.

I carefully drove around cars, trucks, and other debris in the way.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!"

I stopped the truck immediately, earning a squeal from the tires. Not too far in front of us was a Crank; it was just standing there. I looked back at Thomas, awaiting his thoughts.

"It's okay, it's just one," he said, "So, take it slow, go around him. We'll be fine."

I turned back around to face the steering wheel and mumbled, "Take it slow. Take it slow."

Newt rolled his window up. Before I could do anything else, I hear a gasp in the back. Then, a small, 'please.' I turn around to see a deranged looking woman with blonde hair and rotted teeth.

"Please," she started yanking the handle, "Help me. Please."

A bang on the other side, another gasp, then, in a low growl, 'Please, let me in.'

"Okay. Jess, we gotta go," Thomas says.

A head sprawled against my window.

"You need to go right now!"

"Just floor it, Jess!"

"Hold on!" I screamed.

With that, I floored it; not even a second after, the Crank previously in front of us jumped on the windshield. Its arm reached back and rammed into the glass, sending cracks across. I wavered the vehicle around others, trying to focus on the main goal. 

"Come on, Jessie, shake him!"

"I'm trying!"

The crank went flying to my side when I turned a certain way when I turned the other way, it went to Newt. 

"Hang on!" I growled.

I got as close to the left as I could and successfully rammed the Crank into a pole. Suddenly, Thomas's light reflected in the review and blinded me. Groaning, I look away.

"Jessica, look out!" 

Just as I turn back, I see a board sticking up out of the ground, and before I knew it, it was too late. We were already flying through the air and turning upside-down. We landed with a jolt. My head snapped back, I hit the roof, my glasses flew off my face, and when the chaos was finally over, my whole body ached and I coughed up dust.

"Everyone okay?" Thomas asked.

I groaned in response.

"My hand," Fry groaned.

"Fry, cover your eyes," Thomas said.

I started kicking my door, desperately trying to get it open. Yanking on the door stopped me.

"Jess, go around!" Thomas said.

I sighed and watched as Newt fell out the other side. A screech made me freeze in my track. I was in the middle of crawling past the console. 

"Jess, Fry, I think we gotta go!"

"Hang on!" Fry says, reaching into the opening. 

I duck under his arm and waited as he fiddled around the junk.

"Fry, let's go!" I grunt.

He jerked back, pulling a long object with him. When he was out of the opening, I heard a gun cock, then a shot. I look around the truck for a second, searching for my glasses. When I find them, the lens has a shattered top right corner. When I'm done, I poke my head through the door and pan over to the dead Crank on the ground. Newt reached down to help me up.

"Nice shot, Fry,"

"Thanks,"

Growling and screeching erupted throughout the tunnel. I looked up to see a hoard of Cranks running our way.

"Okay. We gotta go!"

I beckoned the boys to follow me in running away, however, Fry didn't listen. He stood his ground and kept shooting at the Cranks.

"Fry, come on, let's go!" I scream.

We ran like our lives depended on it because they did. 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!"

In front of us, another herd of Cranks headed our way.

"Fry, you got any left?"

"Yeah,"

"Okay, this way!"

Fry started to shoot to the herd in front of us.

"Other way!"

He shot to the herd behind us. The gun clicked again.

"I'm out!" Fry yelled.

Now, there was no escaping. We were surrounded.

"Shit!"

I looked around for an exit, but nothing showed. Suddenly, a revving sound filled my ears and drew my attention to it. I looked to the left to see headlights headed our way. The truck stopped in front of us and to my surprise, Brenda popped up with a gun and started shooting the Cranks. Following her command, the lot of us got in the truck; as soon as we did, Jorge sped off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.5K 574 46
Y/N was Ava Paige's favorite, everybody knew that. She didn't work with WCKD like her brother Thomas did, she was simply one of their test objects. I...
44K 1K 71
A Newt x Female OC Story I have no collection of anything before coming up from the box. No memories came to me about my past life. The only thing I...
23.8K 231 98
"I know it's hard to believe, but I never wanted this. I didn't mean to go this far. I only wanted the pain to stop." After waking up in the Maze, Y...
20.7K 699 40
WICKED took everything from her. Alex took it personally. She wants what's hers back. Vowing to take Janson, Ava and the whole organization down and...