Once Brothers (Songs of War F...

By BlueAngel2571

(!!!THIS STORY IS UNDER A MAJOR REWRITE!!!) In the frigid mountains of Northwind, The Walls of Time were crea... More

Introduction
Charater Sheet
Prologue
Chapter 1: Death's Road
Chapter 2: Welcome Home (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 3: Once Again (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 4: Past and Traps (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 5: Death Knocks On My Door (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 6: The Fight Goes On (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 7: Lost and Found (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 9: Something Old, Something New (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 10: Day Off (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 11: Tip of the Spear (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 12: Row Your Boat (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 13: A Helping Hand (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 14: Second Chance (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 15: Reminiscence (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 16: A Lesson of Sticks and Stones (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 17: Dark and Stormy Night (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 18: Mischief and Mayhem (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 19: Fleeting Escape (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 20: Reckoning (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 21: Talk of Masters (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

Chapter 8: I Was Lost But Now I'm Found? (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

1.2K 29 20
By BlueAngel2571

(Would suggest listening to MONST3R-Nightmare Dark Ambient Horror Music)

He was dead, he was sure of it. As memories flashed as fast as lightning before his eyes. Ingressus was back at the top of the mountain. It was snowing, but other Voltaris of his group walked around like it was a normal day, completely oblivious to the coming danger. Ingressus shielded his face against the snow blowing in the wind. He should feel cold, standing outside in a blizzard, but he doesn't feel anything now...

In the distance, Ingressus spots Ember and Titus in front of him, sitting down having a conversation. Ingressus hurried over to them. "Run! We have to leave! They're coming!" he exclaimed. "Where is Master Dominus?!"

But neither Ember nor Titus look up at him. Ingressus waved his arms around hoping to catch their attention, but they continued to talk. Ingressus tried to make out their conversation, but everything sounded muffled in his ears. "Ember, listen to me! We have to run! If we stay we'll all die!"

But the two older Voltaris still paid no attention to him. Making Ingressus believe he was dead even more... He was a ghost now... But he had seen Titus and Ember die during the battle. Shouldn't they see him if he was dead too?

Ingressus looked around as the white snowy atmosphere gave way to darkness. He turns around and spots Blazien sitting down near a burning fire. Ingressus turns back around... but Ember and Titus are nowhere to be seen.

Okay... Ingressus thought, wondering where the two adults had gone.

All that is heard in the darkness, is the crackling of the fire, and water dripping to the floor while Ingressus slowly walked towards his brother. But as he got closer, Ingressus could see it was not water, but blood dripping on the ground, into the fire making it red.

"Blazien?" Ingressus asked nervously as he walked closer. "Blazien where is everyone? Where's Master Dominus?"

Ingressus was glad that his brother was here with him, maybe he could explain where they were. Was this the place after death? But Blazien continues to stare into the fire, motionless, not moving or even acknowledging Ingressus' presence as more blood pooled on the ground. Ingressus walked nearer to the older ardoni until he stood in front of Blazien, only to see an undead version of his brother! Blazien turned his head towards Ingressus, the firelight only making his appearance worse than it was... Blazien's skin was rotten, a large hole gaped in his chest, and his markings were flickering from red to black...

Blazien stood up unsteadily, and growls at Ingressus, he then starts shuffling towards him. Ingressus' eyes widened with fear. He reached behind his shoulder for his sword, but discovers it is not with him! Ingressus backed away with each step Blazien got closer. Whatever this thing was, was not his brother... "Blazien, please... it's me!" Ingressus called out. But Blazien growled and moaned loudly, stumbling towards Ingressus faster!

Ingressus turned around and began running down a dark tunnel. He couldn't see a thing, it was so dark! How was he supposed to escape this monster?!

Suddenly, Ingressus could see a light in the distance. He runs towards it. Blazien's growls got louder, resounding through the unseen cave as Ingressus ran with what strength he had.

The young Voltaris questioned if he really was dead?! Ingressus remembered his leg had been injured during the battle. He couldn't even walk before, how was it he could run now? Not really caring at this point, he continues to run. Getting closer to the light. Hoping to escape whatever this was!

Just as Blazien's growls sounded right by his ear, Ingressus reaches the light and runs outside.

All around him, the Voltaris were engaged in battle. Ingressus spotted a sword on the ground and runs over to it, leaning over while he grabbed the hilt of the weapon. He found it was a little heavy, but he could still fight with it. Running past others, Ingressus saw his father fighting the Champion.

This was his opening! The Sendaris' back was turned! Ingressus ran forward towards the two fighting adults, intending to kick the Champion's knees to unbalance him and give Master Dominus a chance to disarm him.

Once Ingressus was within a few yards from the fight, something tackles him from behind and forces him to the ground. "NO! Get off me!!" Ingressus yelled while struggling to get up. But two ardoni warriors hold him down. Ingressus felt cold steel on his skin as a knife was pressed against his throat, forcing him to look up.

Ingressus looked up to see his father fighting against the Champion. The same fight that had been Dominus' last battle on the mountain top... His movements got slower as he tired from the fight... Ingressus tried to look away, already knowing what would happen. But the knife was pushed further against his neck, almost choking him. Tears brimmed Ingressus' eyes, a chill was sent up his spine as he was forced to watch the Champion impale Dominus through his chest.

Ingressus could only look on in shock when his father's eyes rolled back in his head as he fell over. The Champion stood over Dominus' body, watching while his red markings faded to black. "NO! You monsters!" Ingressus yelled angrily, tears going down his cheeks. "I'll make you pay!"

The Champion turned his ear towards Ingressus' yell, then turned around to face the young Voltaris. Ingressus continued to struggle under the two ardonis' hold.

"Fight me you coward!" Ingressus yelled.

The Champion began to walk towards him, his large diamond sword drawn, his eyes empty black pits of nothing... But still, the warriors held Ingressus down in the snow while the Champion approached him.

"No! No!" Ingressus struggles even harder, but he isn't strong enough... just like with the wolf.

He heard the crunch of snow grow nearer until the Champion stood above him... Ingressus looked up when the Champion raised his flashing blue sword high... before he brought the strike down. In a blinding flash, everything went dark from the young Voltaris' vision. Once again Ingressus stood in a dark void, unable to see anything. Suddenly, voices echoed around him through the darkness...

"Take Voltar and run with this you are now master of the Voltaris Clan!"

Ingressus turned around. "Dad?"

"Our Clan was not always as small and scattered as we are today..."

"Blazien?" Ingressus calls out into the darkness. If he was hearing voices, others had to be here right? Surely he couldn't be the only one alone in this void?

"When I saw you were gone it made me even more worried."

Ingressus looked to his left when he heard the caring voice but still sees no one. "Ember..."

"Our leader was generous enough to even show the other Masters the Prime Songs!"

"Hundreds were killed in the attack on Old Voltaria... Those of us that did survive... fled north and ended up here in the mountains..."

Ingressus felt his heart feel heavy with grief in hearing the pain behind Blazien's voice. Seeing the memories for what they truly had been...

"Brother..." Ingressus said sadly.

Soon the voices turned into cries of pain! Ingressus continued to look around, running blindly through the darkness, but everything is still black. He can't see anything! But the yells get louder... Ember's cries of pain, Blazien while he gasped to breathe, Master Dominus releasing his final breath... and all the voices are yelling his name...

"Ingressus!"

"Save us Ingressus!"

"You're our leader!"

"Why won't you do anything?!"

"Help us!"

Ingressus skidded to a stop while breathing heavily, looking around to try and find anyone to help... But no matter how far he ran, the voices only got louder... Slowly going on his knees, Ingressus covers his ears in attempting to block out the sounds. He couldn't take this! He couldn't do anything! He wanted to help them, but he was powerless! But even still he could hear them...

Ingressus closed his eyes, wishing that wherever he was, he could leave!

Wake up! If you're still alive wake-up! the young Voltaris shouted within the confines of his own subconscious.

Suddenly, the yelling voices slowly lowered to faint whispers. Taking his hands off his ears, Ingressus opens his eyes again, hearing the many uncomfortable whispers of voices.

Now he was standing on a familiar cliffside facing the ocean. Turning around, Ingressus gasps at what's behind him... Hundreds of bodies of other Voltaris surround him in a snowy clearing. Some he knew... but many others he didn't even recognize. He could see them all... Ember, Titus, Blazien, Master Dominus...

"No... no." Ingressus felt his eyes begin to water... He was too late... He had nothing... No one. Suddenly, the sound of a song being fired comes out of nowhere, causing the ground underneath his feet to crumble away. Making Ingressus fall over the cliff... towards the endless abyss of the dark churning current waiting to freeze him to death.

He splashes into the water...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Would suggest listening to Stranger by Marek Iwaszkiewicz)

Ingressus screams as he gasps awake. Where were they?! Were they still here?! Was Blazien's corpse wishing to eat him still?! Breathing heavily, the young Voltaris looked around with wide eyes. The dimmed room made whatever was on his body illuminate brightly. Ingressus looked down at his arms and legs, seeing tiny glowing green energy particles that seemed to cover his entire body!

"Ah!"

Ingressus quickly swipes his hand down his arms and legs, brushing the strange particles off his skin, and watching as they disappeared in thin air.

What were those? Ingressus thought.

His arms shaking and heart racing, the young Voltaris took deep breaths to slow his breathing... he needed to calm down.

Looking around the room, Ingressus could tell he was inside of a cave. But not like the ones in the mountains. This cave was much warmer, and Ingressus could also hear loud strange noises coming from outside. Some strange animals that he had never heard of before.

He looked up towards the ceiling and saw a large hole in the stone roof. Leaves and vines seemed to intrude the cave, hanging down into the dimly lit room. Ingressus could also see the stars in a velvet of blackness above.

It's nighttime?! How long have I been out? Where am I...? he wondered while continuing to look around at his surroundings.

A noise of movement caught his attention, making Ingressus quickly turn around while he was sitting. At the far end of the room, the young Voltaris could see a figure sitting in the shadows. But the glow of the stranger's yellow markings was a dead giveaway to Ingressus. Letting him connect the dots to figure out, that the mysterious person: was another ardoni from a different Clan!

Ingressus shuffles off the table hurriedly. But once he attempted to put weight on his left leg, he falls. Huffing when he landed painfully on the ground. Ingressus grunted while he pushed himself up into a sitting position, before looking forward to face the figure.

"Where am I, and who are you?!" he asked, surprised by the sound of his own voice. His throat felt dry and parched, his words coming out scratchy and barely audible.

The figure slowly stood up and began walking towards him. "There is no need to be alarmed. You are safe," the stranger said in a deep voice.

The figure stepped into the light of the lanterns, revealing himself, his face filled with concern. "I see you are a restless sleeper," the stranger said calmly.

Ingressus narrowed his eyes and gives the ardoni what he hoped was a threatening stare. Did this stranger really take him for a fool? Ingressus was offended how this warrior was trying to play nice with him! He would not allow himself to fall for his enemy's tricks! Ingressus had remembered seeing other ardoni warriors with yellow markings that murdered people in his group!

Ingressus glanced down at his own markings and gasps in surprise... His markings, which had only ever been red, were now yellow!

What is going on?! Ingressus thought.

He was so confused! One minute, he was fighting. Next, he was nearly drowning in an icy river. Now he was in some stranger's cave, and his markings had turned yellow?! What had happened in the passage of time since he'd lost consciousness? Suddenly, Ingressus remembered something! Never taking his eyes off the ardoni, he asks a question.

"Where did you find me?!" he asked, speaking louder this time, despite the protest of his dry throat. The ardoni walked closer to him still.

"It was not I who found you. I was merely brought to you."

"Did... did you see a staff or a sword by chance?" Ingressus asked. As if this ardoni would do any favors for a young Voltaris like himself, except end his life!

The ardoni continued to walk closer to young Voltaris. "No, we found only you," he responded. "How old are you?"

Ingressus was tired of this ardoni's questions! He wanted answers! "I don't see why it matters!"

Soon the ardoni gets too close for Ingressus' comfort. Getting some distance between himself and the stranger, Ingressus scoots backwards along the ground, being careful not to use his leg. Each movement in his body caused him to feel pain, but Ingressus continues to move back until his back bumps into a stone wall behind him.

Looking on both sides of himself, Ingressus could see he was cornered by a wall. His eyes scanned the dim area, searching for a way out, but finding none in this unfamiliar place. He was trapped!

The ardoni slowly walked towards him, then knelt down once he was right in front of him.

"You are alright. I will not hurt you. My name is Aegus Nestoris, Master of the Nestoris Clan. You were found washed up and nearly half-drowned on our shores. You were very injured... We brought you back here and treated your wounds as best as we could. If you're not careful, you'll reopen them. I promise I will not hurt you."

The Master raises his arm. Ingressus tensed, readying to try and block an oncoming punch... But the Master only holds his hand out patiently to him...

Does he expect me to take his hand? Ingressus wondered in confusion.

What kind of game was this ardoni trying to play? Ingressus looked at the Master's hand cautiously, then back up to meet the stranger's eyes. His leg did feel stronger, but, it still hurt badly. Ingressus knew he was still too weak to stand on his own. Besides, if this Clan Master had wanted to kill him... he could have done so while the young Voltaris had been passed out. Ingressus knew he couldn't just stay cornered by a wall. He needed answers... and the only way to get them was to take a moment to trust...

Ingressus slowly reached his hand out, grabbing the Master's hand. The Master slowly stood up, helping Ingressus to his feet.

Grunting from almost losing his footing, Ingressus leans on the Master while he walked the young Voltaris back over to the table. While Ingressus sat down, Master Aegus walked over to some shelves, before grabbing some bowls of stew and brings them over to him. Ingressus hesitantly takes a bowl from the Master's grasp. Gazing down at the warm broth, Ingressus' stomach growled loudly. The food smelled really good, making his mouth water.

Ingressus ate a spoonful of the stew. Only to start eating it more quickly once he felt just how really hungry he was. He was a lot hungrier than what he was normally used to. When had been the last time he had eaten anything?

Walking over to the side, Master Aegus smiled while taking a seat on a nearby rock ledge.

The older Nestoris watched Ingressus with interest as he ate his food. He took notice of just how skinny the boy was... He did look strong, but he also looked half-starved... Scars covered his arms and legs, showing the signs of a rough lived life... Master Aegus held out a hand to the Voltaris, who was quickly eating his stew like it was the last meal he would have.

"Slow down there young one, you don't want to make yourself sick by eating too quickly. You've been unconscious for almost three days, and you lost a lot of blood from that cut. We thought we were going to lose you, but you pulled through...

"Now I'm sure you don't trust me, but that's no reason to leave so quickly. The thing about recovering is to take each step of the process slowly. Besides, even if you were strong enough to walk, where would you go? You're in no condition to travel, and you are much too young to be out there on your own. No one in the Nestoris Clan knows you're a Voltaris... and your secret will be kept with me."

Master Aegus slowly stood up and approaches Ingressus. He looked down at the young Voltaris' leg. Ingressus followed the elder's gaze, seeing his injury clearly for the first time. Apart from the harsh-looking stitches in his skin, his wound was completely scabbed over.

How did it heal so quickly? Ingressus thought. Ember would spend days on end trying to heal cuts, mend broken bones, and cure the sick. Ingressus had known his leg injury was bad the moment he had felt the blade meet his flesh, but even though it was hideous to look at, the pain was much more bearable. What exactly had these Nestoris done to him?

Master Aegus stands in front of Ingressus, holding his hand over the wound. His markings glowed slightly brighter as green particles materialized from his hand, and hover over Ingressus' leg. The Voltaris was frightened at first, but once the particles landed on his wound, Ingressus doesn't feel pain anymore. In fact, he felt relief. Almost like the particles were offering a soothing, cooling numbness to the pain. Then Ingressus finally figured out how his leg had healed so quickly.

Of course, how could I not have seen it before?! Of course, my wounds would be almost healed with the help of songs! Ingressus realized.

Master Aegus sighs once he had finished and gives Ingressus a solemn look. "Hmm... care to tell me what happened?"

Ingressus remained quiet for a moment, deciding whether or not if he should tell this Master anything... But then Ingressus knew that if this ardoni had wanted to hurt him, he could have already done so, but he chose not to. Instead, the Master was offering him shelter and compassion. Besides... Ingressus knew he had nothing left to lose...

"It's... just a cut that I got in a fight..." Ingressus said mildly, trying to make it sound like it wasn't a big deal, even though the memory almost made him break into tears even now.

Master Aegus seemed to see through this act of trying to remain strong and gives Ingressus an even sadder look. "A cut that deep could only be made by a large blade... I know what your Clan has had to go through... The wounds between our Clans are deep, and it troubles me every day to know that we are fighting against our own kind..."

Ingressus gave Master Aegus a curious look. The Master knew what was happening out there to the Voltaris, and he actually cared and felt troubled by the other Clans' actions.

Once Ingressus had finished eating his stew, he hands the bowl back to Master Aegus. Master Aegus set the bowl on the table, then helps the young Voltaris stand. Supporting him while he walked and guided Ingressus over to a weird-looking piece of furniture. Ingressus looked at it curiously, not sure what to make of it.

"What is this?" he asked.

Master Aegus smiled down at him. "It's a bed. Have you never seen one before?"

Ingressus shook his head while the Master helped him to sit on it. It was bouncy and soft, nothing like laying on the animal skins, that hardly had supported anyone against the stone floors.

"We normally slept on animal skins... It was all we had, as far out as we were..." Ingressus said as his hand felt the fabric of the sheets.

A stick snapping outside catches Ingressus' attention, making him tense and look towards the doorway. Master Aegus gives him a comforting smile. "You are safe. You have no need to worry," Master Aegus reassured.

But Ingressus continues staring at the doorway, not taking his eyes off it for even a moment. "I wake up in a place I've never been... I can't just assume I'm safe. Out there... it was dangerous to guess," Ingressus said.

Master Aegus knelt down until he was eye level with the young Voltaris. "I am the Master of this Clan, and I can assure you, you will not be harmed," the Master stated firmly. "What is your name?"

Ingressus felt slightly more comfortable around Master Aegus. He was the first ardoni from a different Clan who had showed him kindness.

"My name is Ingressus Voltaris," he said with a slight respectful bow of his head to the Master.

Master Aegus smiles and gives a slight nod in greeting, glad that Ingressus was starting to open up to him. The Master held out his hand over the wound, allowing more particles to hover over the cut on Ingressus' leg, numbing his pain even more.

If only Ember had had songs like these... Ingressus thought while he imagined Blazien's wounds from the wolf...

Master Aegus finishes, before standing back up. "Your wounds should be nearly healed tomorrow. Get some sleep Ingressus, you need to let your body heal. Should you need anything, I will be nearby," Master Aegus said, before turning around and walking into a different room.

Ingressus sat in the quietness, still hearing the noises of strange creatures outside. Looking around the dimly lit room, Ingressus could see many decorations. Master Aegus had obviously lived here a while. Then his eyes were drawn to a single lantern on the table. Ingressus watched as the small flame danced within the confines of the glass.

A memory resurfaces while Ingressus continued to watch the flame. One that he had not thought of in years... It had been many many years ago, long before their group had moved to their second location. When Ingressus had been six years old... the time when his mother had still walked this earth... As healthy as he had been, it was easy for Ingressus to catch sickness in the mountains. Fevers and coughs would plague him constantly during the harsh winters. But his mother would always stay by his side.

There had been a night when a blizzard raged through the mountains. The howls of the wind echoing outside while Ingressus had been laying on an animal skin. He remembered being sore, and his body had felt very weak, making it hard to breathe, while he had been burning with a bad fever.

The only light source that had been in the cave, was a fire in the center of the room. Ingressus' mother had been gathering snow and melting it, putting strips of cloth soaked in the cold water on his forehead, trying to bring his fever down. Her shadow had loomed over him while the fire had burned brightly behind her. Her eyes had been illuminated by her pinkish-red markings as she smiled at him. She had hummed songs to him the whole night and had never left his side... Ingressus was fast asleep by the time she had finished singing. But he would never forget those nights...

Ingressus felt grief as he thought of his mother... She had died when she had caught sickness herself. Her illness having been much worse than Ingressus' had ever been... During one of the harshest winters, their food shortages had been almost nothing. Never having enough food, his mother did not have the strength to fight off the sickness and died in her sleep...

Soon other memories flashed through Ingressus' mind. His mother's stories that she would tell him and Blazien of Old Voltaria. Dominus showing Ingressus the basics of swordsmanship. His father's determination and wisdom and bravery in the face of danger. Blazien telling Ingressus how clever he was to sneak out of the cave so many times and still never get caught by the guards on watch. Blazien's cunning and swiftness and trajectory skills as a trapper and hunter, and the many lessons he had taught Ingressus about the wilds. His family. His wonderful family... they were dead. Friends that he had grown up with, they all were dead... he was now alone.

Now here he was hidden amongst the Nestoris Clan. Pretending to be one of them, after the other Clans had taken so much from him! Ingressus continued to watch the flame while silent tears slowly fell down his cheeks.

He lays down on the bed, but his eyes never leave the lantern. More memories resurface... until Ingressus closed his eyes and fell asleep...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 128 16
THIS IS ONLY PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD!!! FUCK YOU TEENFIC!!! He was supposed to be dead. He saw it. He saw him die. How was he here? How was he alive an...
6.9K 249 29
A lost child, scarred and orphaned, is found by a new family. Time passes, wounds heal, and the child finds peace in his new life. His rescuer, once...
717 22 16
Ardonia fights its bloodiest war in history. The Voltaris strike against the other clans for the first time in 900 years. The Nether seeks vengeance...
126K 3.7K 53
A year has passed since Seren Marzena returned to the Night Court with her mate, Azriel. Their time of rest is coming to an end. Plans long kept sile...