The Ways of Patching Up | βœ“

By Tara676

Confronted with a distressing situation, Lawson Fullmer finds himself slowly crumbling to ruins. The harsh re... More

Zero
First
Second
Third
Fourth
Fifth
Sixth
Seventh
Eighth
Ninth
Tenth
Eleventh
Twelfth
Thirteenth
Fourteenth
Fifteenth
Sixteenth
Seventeenth
Eighteenth
Nineteenth
Twentieth
Twenty First
Twenty Second
Twenty Third
Twenty Fifth
Twenty Sixth
Twenty Seventh
Twenty Eighth
Twenty Ninth
Thirtieth
Epilogue
Author's Note

Twenty Fourth

287 25 176
By Tara676

Monday came marching in like a soldier, ruthlessly knocking the weekends out of the spotlight. Even though Elliot had to return to school, it couldn't find its way to disturb his peace of mind. In fact, his face was shining radiantly like the sun, especially when he remembered all the precious moments he had spent with Dad during the break.

There were still times where Dad was still engulfed with his job and so there were no verbal interactions, but for Elliot, conversations never really mattered. All he needed was for his father to invite and accompany him during his work, to smile down at him, to hug him, as well as to eat lunch and dinner once and for all. Moreover, a simple recognition was already enough to make him over the moon.

Classes ran normally, but Elliot went through them without any distracting thoughts. There was no more burden weighing against his shoulders, and there was no need to hold back tears in the middle of the lesson. Even during the project discussion with his friends, daydreaming was no longer the routine. He was completely focused on listening to Shanice and Andrew as they started making their constellation jar.

But I still can't believe Dad's finally getting better! He inwardly exclaimed. He didn't seem to drink beers and acted all strange during the nights, so everything's gonna be fine! Also, he's not gonna be taken away, so that's good as well!

"I was supposed to be the one making holes on this paper, but my dad won't allow me," Shanice huffed as she pulled out an aluminum sheet from her bag and showed it to the group, "so he decided to be the one making them. They're supposed to be all the constellations we've talked about, but... my dad messed them up, so they're not the same as the ones we had seen..."

"Hmm... it does look messy..." Andrew squinted his eyes as he intently scrutinized the foil. He shrugged as he went on, "but hey, at least I can make out some of them, like the Big Dipper and Orion... then Cancer and Pisces in some way, I guess?"

While his friends simultaneously sighed in frustration, Elliot, on the other hand, wasn't able to find any single mistakes on the foil. The placement of the holes were exactly on point, forming similar constellations depicted on the books. Well, he didn't take a look at them properly since at that moment, Dad was the one occupying the majority of his mind. But it does look really well-made!

"It looks totally fine with me!" Elliot chimed in, as both heads snapped towards him, "I can see them well, so I'm pretty sure the others can make them out too! We can just explain which one is which."

For some reason, Shanice had her mouth hanging open, but she immediately sealed them closed. She took another good look at the work her father had awfully done, and then back to her blonde friend, who only blinked at her as an involuntary response. Hmm, what's wrong with Shan? Am I weirding her out in some way...? Maybe... she doesn't expect me to say anything...?

"Well, if Elliot says so, then I guess it's good..." Shanice mumbled as she plopped back to her seat, placing the sheet on the table, "but I still think that I can do so much better than my dad!"

Andrew chuckled as he folded his arms, "well... I think that's because he knows how clumsy you can be sometimes... like the snowman you ruined."

"Heey! At least I was trying my best!" Shanice pushed her bottom lip forward as she clenched both of her hands together. Meanwhile, Elliot pursed his lips, clamped his mouth and abruptly turned away, trying his best not to burst out laughing. However, his tactics failed to work out, as the whole group now had all their attention on him.

Oops... I think I make it too obvious...

"You're so happy today, Elliot," said Shanice as she rested her chin on her hands, "did your dad finally get better over the weekends?"

"Yeah!" He continuously nodded without hesitation, "he's been feeling better now, and I'm so happy!"

Never was Elliot so ecstatic while answering a question relating to his father. He didn't even mind sharing with the whole world that Dad was no longer the grumpy sad man that he knew for the past few weeks. He wanted to tell everyone that he was genuinely fine, and that he was slowly healing. I can't wait to get along with Dad just like back then!

"Yay, that's awesome!" Shanice giggled, "now you don't have to worry about him and you can have lots of fun!"

"Once we're done with the science project, we should go and read comics together," Andrew butted in as he broke into a broad grin, "we have to see more of Spiderman!"

"Of course!" He immediately agreed, glancing at his own backpack. I miss reading about him... he's so cool and awesome!

"Hey guys!"

Ms. Fairchild suddenly greeted as she headed towards their table. The startling appearance of her bizarre purple hair and her iconic golden eyes nearly caused the little blondie to jump out of his seat. His small heart started to beat hard against his ribs, and the noises were loud enough for his eardrums to catch. Right... she still doesn't know anything yet...

"Ms. Fairchild, we didn't see you last Friday!" Shanice cried out. As her comforting and cheery aura swiped through Elliot's friends, they promptly waved their hands high in the air, welcoming the counsellor. On the flip side, Elliot found himself shrinking in his spot, but he forced himself to smile and raise his hand so that he didn't want to disrespect her.

"Aw, I'm sorry... I was really busy that day, so I wasn't able to accompany you guys," the purple-haired woman answered between her laughs, "thankfully I was able to get all of them cleared up by today, so... how was your project going out?"

So that's why I didn't see Ms. Fairchild back then... Elliot's fingers fidgeted.

"Yay, that's great!" Shanice punched her fist into the air, "we just started making our constellation jar, and now everyone's just discussing how it would look like."

"You started already? I'm not surprised, because I know you're all very talented kids!" Ms. Fairchild gushed on, her praise catapulted all of their confidences at once. However, her golden eyes instantly travelled towards Elliot, who squared his shoulders as he struggled keeping his smile intact. She tried to maintain her composure as she asked, "but... may I borrow one of your friends for a moment, please? I have something important to talk to him."

Ms. Fairchild... wants to talk with me? Elliot silently gulped as sweat started drenching his skin and trickling down his cheek. His hands felt cold all of the sudden, even though the warm air from the heater was filling up the entire vicinity. She probably wants to talk about my dad... but... what's it gonna be...?

"Oh, Elliot? Sure, we don't mind!" Shanice replied before he could complain, "besides, he had some exciting news for you to tell!"

"Wow, really? I'm looking forward to them! Well... Elliot?" Ms. Fairchild beckoned, telling him to follow after her.

Well, at certain occasions, he did appreciate his friend's efforts for helping him out, but he couldn't help but to give her a side glance and furrowed brows. Sometimes, she went too far with her assistance, especially when she answered the opposite from what he wanted to say. Right now, there were neither loopholes nor any other choices, so Elliot decided to comply.

"Um... okay..." he ultimately mumbled as he reluctantly hopped out of his seat. After saying silent goodbyes to Shanice and Andrew, he then pursued after his counsellor as she led him out of the area. They eventually arrived at an empty hallway, where there was nothing but lockers lining up in an orderly fashion on both sides of the aisle.

"So Elliot..." Ms. Fairchild whirled round on her heels, facing the small child, before she crouched down, "how's your daddy going so far, and how about yourself?"

Even if he understood the questions and knew the answers, the boy still couldn't pull out a response fast.

The air surrounding them thickened, and the intensity it contained was so tangible that a knife could slice through it. There was also a heavy sensation crushing against Elliot's poor body, causing every inch of his limbs to grow rigid and stiff. Pain lashed out from his hands as he forcefully drove his fingernails against his palms.

But... why should I be so scared though? He mentally shook his head, trying to shrug his clumping thoughts off, especially the flashbacks of that nightmare a few days ago. I have to be brave... After all, my dad's totally fine by now, so I can just tell her that, and she wouldn't be like this anymore. I just hope she's not gonna take him away from me...

"Um.... he's actually feeling better now," Elliot heavily stuttered as he added laughter to brighten up the mood somehow, "he's pretty much happy now, and um... he's not crying or doing weird things anymore! And then, uh, for me... well, I'm doing great too because Dad's now making me laugh and happy!"

He took note of Ms. Fairchild's raising brows as they disappeared behind her bangs, which was the main cause of his constant swallowing of his saliva. Did she even believe me...? She sounds like she didn't...

"Ah, I see..." she nodded before she whispered, "hmm... but that's a strangely fast recovery process..."

"Recovery?" He inquired.

"Oh, please don't mind that! I just happened to say my thoughts out loud," Ms. Fairchild dismissed, before she fixedly looked at him with nothing but concern, "but sweetie... I'm really sorry to ask this but..."

Elliot's head slowly angled to the side, waiting for the counsellor to eventually mutter out her words, but his blood went cold as soon as she questioned, "did your daddy drink anything before he's being weird to you?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 1.3K 36
β€’α‘•Oα—°α‘­α’ͺα—΄Tα—΄α—ͺβ€’ β€’α—΄α—ͺITIα‘Žα˜œβ€’ Sewn together, meant to never fall apart; that's how a family is supposed to be. Secrets -- everyone has them. But Ruby Grayso...
45.4K 2.6K 62
Until a year ago, Kacey's life had always been easy. But when it rains, it pours, and he loses what always seemed a given. A year and a half later, h...
18.6K 1.4K 25
[BXB] Archie Holland and Brooks Dawson decide to take a third and final shot at love. β˜†β˜†β˜† Brooks Dawson is falling apart. His mom's behavior is spira...
38 13 5
Lindsay Gowan had been planning a vacation for months and now that summer has arrived, meaning her daughter, Millie, would be spending it with her, h...