The Boy Who Couldn't See: Yea...

By ahoeinplainsight

Harry survived his first year but, as always, it's only downhill from there. // also on ao3 under the same us... More

The Worst Birthday
Dobby's Warning
The Burrow
The Whomping Willow
Gilderoy Lockhart
M*dbl**ds and Murmurs
The Deathday Party
The Writing on the Wall
The Rogue Bludger
The Dueling Club
The Polyjuice Potion
The Very Secret Diary
Cornelius Fudge
Aragog
The Chamber of Secrets
The Heir of Slytherin
Dobby's Reward

At Flourish and Blotts

163 8 3
By ahoeinplainsight

Life at the Burrow — Ron had told him that's what they call the house — couldn't be more different from life on Privet Drive. The Dursleys were always very neat and tidy people — as is Harry himself — but here at the Burrow, chaos is just the norm. What is most fascinating to Harry, more than talking mirrors or noisy ghouls or explosions from Fred and George's room, is the fact that the Weasleys seem to actually like him.

Mrs Weasley fusses over how skinny he is, saying they should've come and got him sooner if they'd known he was being starved, and in a move that almost made Harry tear up, she put cushioning charms on all the edges of furniture and corners of walls. She took notice of Harry stubbing his toe multiple times everyday and decided instead of yelling out and warning him — something that Ron told her is a strike in Harry's pride — that she would just put cushioning charms on everything so that Harry doesn't hurt himself. He thanks her in the rare moment that she's alone and gets a tight hug in return, something that does make him tear up.

Mr Weasley sits next to him at breakfast and asks him all about Muggle technology, something Harry is all too happy to indulge him in. He spends most meals explaining how plugs or the postal service or lawnmowers work and Mr Weasley listens intently.

About a week after he arrives at the Burrow, their Hogwarts letters arrive. When he and Ron come down for breakfast, Harry hears a clatter and knows that Ginny just knocked something over, which she's prone to do when Harry enters the same room she's in. Harry pretends not to hear this and sits in his usual spot in between Mr Weasley and Ron, taking the toast Mrs Weasley offers him.

"Letters from school," Mr Weasley says, passing a letter to Harry. "Dumbledore already knows you're here, Harry — doesn't miss a trick, that man. You two've got them, too," he adds when Fred and George stumble in.

"Can you — ?" the awkward question from Fred is directed at Harry and it takes him a second to register what he's asking.

"Oh!" Harry processes it finally. "It's the — the parchment, it recognizes what it's reader needs — s'why I could do my written exams without somebody reading to me."

"Huh," Fred mumbles. "That's pretty cool. I heard that books did it but I didn't know it was the parchment. I wonder why —"

Fred stops abruptly and George snorts. Harry decides to pretend he doesn't realize Fred is embarrassed about wanting to know more about the topic and just opens his letter. For the next few minutes, they're all silent as they read their supply lists.

SECOND-YEAR STUDENTS WILL REQUIRE:

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk

Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart

Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart

Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart

Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart

Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

Harry blinks, his eyebrows turning down in confusion.

"Lockhart's books are really expensive," George mumbles, worry in his voice.

Ah, so Harry did read correctly. Every book this year, besides one, is written by 'obviously-a-fraud' Gilderoy Lockhart. Spectacular.

"Well, we'll manage," Mrs Weasley says, though she sounds just as worried as George. "I expect we'll be able to pick up a lot of Ginny's things secondhand."

"Oh, are you starting at Hogwarts this year?" Harry asks curiously. Ginny, from the way her brothers talk about her, is pretty interesting but considering she won't even speak in Harry's presence, he doesn't really know much about her.

Ginny hums, the only verbal response Harry gets from her when he talks to her. She obviously doesn't want to just ignore him but she's too scared to talk so she's resorted to hums and squeaks.

"Morning, all," a different voice says and Harry jumps. "Lovely day."

There's a rustle of a movement and then —

"Errol!" Ron exclaims. "Finally — he's got Hermione's answer. I wrote to her saying we were going to try and rescue you from the Dursleys."

"Has her summer been well?" Harry asks as Ron stands from the table and takes a few steps.

"She keeps talking about something called a retainer — said her parents didn't want to use magic to straighten her teeth," Ron sits back down. "It hurts a lot, apparently."

"I had a friend at school — she had braces and complained about them all the time," Harry shrugs. "Kept telling me what colors she got — as if I could see them. Anyway —"

Ron laughs, ripping open Hermione's letter. He reads it out loud.

"'Dear Ron, and Harry if you're there,

"'I hope everything went all right and that Harry is okay and that you didn't do anything illegal to get him out, Ron, because that would get Harry into trouble, too. I've been really worried and if Harry is all right, will you please let me know at once, but perhaps it would be better if you used a different owl, because I think another delivery might finish your one off.

"'I'm very busy with schoolwork, of course' — How can she be?" Ron says in horror and Harry laughs. "We're on vacation! — 'and we're going to London next Wednesday to buy my new books. Why don't we meet in Diagon Alley?

"'Let me know what's happening as soon as you can. Love from Hermione.'"

"Well, that fits in nicely, we can go and get all your things then, too," Mrs Wealsey says. "What're you all up to today?"

Harry, Ron, Fred, and George are heading up to the paddock the Weasleys own to play Quidditch with apples, considering they can't risk real Quidditch balls flying into the nearby village. They ask Percy if he wants to join but, like he has every time they ask, he refuses and shuts himself in his room. This behavior is unusual, according to his brothers, and the fact that he hadn't gloated about his O.W.L. exam results at all even more so. Also according to them, Percy is quite a good player, though a very bad sport and a sore loser, so he's fun to play with, only when he wins. He's a beater, apparently, just like the twins. Harry, who didn't even know Percy could ride a broom, is very shocked by this.

"Dunno how Mum and Dad are going to afford all our school stuff this year," George says as they walk up to the paddock. "Five sets of Lockhart books! And Ginny needs robes and a wand and everything..."

Harry feels very awkward. His vault down in Gringotts is filled to the brim with Sickles, Galleons, and Knuts. He would offer to buy their school supplies — lord knows he has more than enough to buy them all new supplies, maybe even a house — but if somebody warning him that he's about to run into a wall is a strike in his pride, he can only imagine how it would make the Weasleys feel to be offered financial help.

He's may be stupid and oblivious but at least he knows that.

Next Wednesday, Mrs Weasley wakes them all up early. They eat quickly and then pull on their coats, Harry gripping Ron's elbow as he waits for instructions on how to get to Diagon Alley. He's excited to talk to Hermione again and meet her parents but considering he had a panic attack the last time he went to Diagon Alley, he's more than a little scared.

"We're running low, Arthur," Mrs Weasley sighs. "We'll have to buy some more today... Ah well, guests first! After you, Harry dear!"

Harry blinks, "W-what?"

"He's never traveled by Floo powder," Ron says and Harry gives him an incredulous look. "Sorry, Harry."

"Never?" Mr Weasley says. "But how did you get to Diagon Alley to buy your school things last year?"

"I went on the Underground —"

"Really?" Mr Wealsey says eagerly. "Were there escapators? How exactly —"

"Not now, Arthur," Mrs Weasley stops him. "Floo powder's a lot quicker, dear, but goodness me, if you've never used it before —"

"Um, well, he can go with me," Ron suggests tentatively. "It's quite hard to stick the landing the first time and it's always too crowded — you'd be whisked away if you stumbled into the crowd."

"What exactly is this?" Harry says.

"Right, er, it's pretty much the only way underage wizards can travel without using magic, besides portkeys or brooms — you use the fireplace. It's quite hard to explain without sounding mad, you'll just have to trust us," Ron says. "We aren't shoving you into fire, I can at least promise you that."

"Oh, thanks, Ron, I appreciate it," Harry says wryly. "Can you travel in pairs?"

"It all depends on the size of the fireplace and, fortunately, ours is big enough to fit you both," Mrs Weasley says. "You two go first and you wait right there when you get there, Ronald."

"I know, Mum," Ron says. "Keep your arms tucked, Haz, and close your eyes and mouth. And don't do that thing you do — where you don't listen just to make me mad —"

"I'm not looking to hurt myself, Ron, I only do that when I know it'd be funny."

"Quite hilarious that it never is then," Ron mumbles and Harry grins. "Hold on tight, I don't want you to come out at the wrong grate because you let go of me."

Harry nods.

When they step in the fire, it feels more like a warm breeze than anything. Harry does as he's told and closes his eyes and mouth, looping his arm in Ron's and tucking his other one close to his side.

"Diagon Alley!" Ron shouts.

It feels as if he's being sucked down a drain. There's a deafening roar in his ears and after a moment, it feels like cold hands start slapping him in the face. Almost as soon as it starts, though, it ends and he stumbles forward. Ron catches him and tightens the link of their arms.

"Holy shit," Harry mumbles and Ron laughs.

"I've never heard you curse before."

"I felt the situation deserved it," Harry shakes his head and straightens up. "I don't like that very much."

"It's not my favorite. I prefer to fly but some places are too far," Ron says.

Harry hums.

Fred comes through next and then George, Mr Weasley and Ginny, Percy, and finally, Mrs Weasley. They begin to walk.

"We'll be headed to Gringotts first," Mrs Weasley tells them.

Harry grimaces and Ron leans close and whispers, "What's that face?"

Harry sighs, lowering his voice as well, "I-I don't want to sound arrogant but... my vault —"

"Oh," Ron understands quickly. "Right. I heard that the Potter's were pretty wealthy but I couldn't tell you why. I'm sure it's in books, I think it's got something to do with potions. Anyway, it makes sense you'd have a lot of money — you aren't being arrogant."

Harry's face twists up, "Potions? I owe my wealth to my worst subject?"

"Pretty ironic," Ron snickers. "And you aren't the worst, Snape just gives you horrible marks because he —"

"Hates me, yes, I'm aware."

They continue walking, Harry practically hugging Ron's side to avoid touching anybody, until —

"Harry! Ron!"

"Hermione!" they both exclaim before being wrapped in a giant hug from the girl. Harry gets some hair in his mouth but he can't find it in himself to care.

"Oh, it's so wonderful to see you two again," Hermione lets go of them and steps back, taking her hair with her. "I know you sent a letter with Hedwig but I think I need to hear it out loud."

Harry nods, "I'll explain as we walk. Are we at Gringotts?"

"Yes! Are you coming in? My parents are exchanging money but — oh, you have vaults, don't you? I do wish I could ride with you, I want to see a wizard vault but seeing as we don't have one and I'm not family, I won't be allowed," Hermione links her arm with Harry's free one and they walk up the steps leading to the bank. "Oh and it's very wonderful you meet you Mrs Weasley, Mr Weasley. And Ginny! Ron has told me all about you and I've been dying to meet you."

Harry, for the first time since arriving at the Burrow, finally hears Ginny talk.

"Well, I've heard all about you from Ron so the feeling is mutual," Harry can hear the smirk in her voice. Harry doesn't find it very amusing, though.

"Hell yeah," George says and Harry hears a two consecutive smacks, one a high-five and one a slap on the arm. "Ouch! It's not even a swear —"

"George Fabian —"

"Okay! Okay! I'm sorry, no middle name, please."

They enter Gringotts and immediately, Mr Weasley starts geeking out about Hermione's parents, making Harry hide a laugh in Hermione's shoulder. She pats his head with a soft, "There, there, you'll get through it," that makes him laugh harder.

Eventually, Harry and the Weasleys are led to their underground vaults by a goblin. They reach the Weasley vault first and then make their way down to Harry's vault, the ride much longer than the first one, due to Harry's vault being deeper underground. When Harry gets inside, he hastily shoves coins into a leather bag so they can get away from his much more full vault quicker.

When they get back on the marble steps, Harry properly introduces himself to the Grangers after Percy, Fred, and George run off ("Stay away from Knockturn Alley, boys!") and they seem to be relieved to meet someone so normal.

"Mio has told us so much about you, of course, she's very fond of you," Mrs Granger gushes after introducing herself as Diana.

"Mum!" Hermione whines and Harry laughs.

"Drove us up a tree worrying about you this summer," Mr Granger ("David but please, call me Dave.") adds.

"There was a complication with my owl and my relatives — I promise I'll write next summer," Harry says.

Which is the truth, unfortunately.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Mrs Granger says, sounding like every one of her suspicions had just been confirmed. They had seen how the Dursleys acted around Harry a few months ago so he's not surprised that they picked up on something fishy. "I'm glad you're staying with the Weasleys, Harry."

"Me too," Harry smiles.

Mr Weasley manages to convince them to go get drinks so he can talk to them and Mrs Weasley and Ginny head off to buy her school supplies, saying, "We'll all meet at Flourish and Blotts in an hour to buy your school books," as they do.

The trio heads down the steps and Harry begins to explain the Dobby situation to Hermione so she can hear it out loud. He adds in his suspicions about Dumbledore, now knowing that he's around people who don't have blind faith for the man.

"Well, no matter," she says. "If it's real, I assume we'll find out what it is pretty quickly. If it's like last year, where Dumbledore was behind your involvement with it, it'll probably be talked about in his opening speech. I can admire a great wizard but it just seems... wrong for the man who has so many people's faith to put his own in the hands of a blind twelve-year-old."

"Eleven-year-old, considering it started last year," Harry mumbles. "I might've been able to brush it off — considering I didn't die — but he made a jab at my intelligence, even if he didn't realize it, and anybody who does that always annoys me."

"Really? After everything you did all year, he still insulted you?" Ron sounds genuinely angry about it and Harry's face heats up.

"Not directly, he meant well, I'm sure, but I've heard how people talk to disabled people, I've been such a person since I was like, five," Harry shrugs. "It wasn't so much an insult, it was just the way he told me he was impressed I figured out what the mirror did. Like he didn't expect me to figure it out or whatever. So, he didn't insult me but it was there."

"Considering we aren't the disabled people, I don't think it's our place to tell you whether or not it was one," Ron says.

"At least you understand that. Not many people do."

With nothing better to do, Harry decides to buy them all ice cream. Mr Fortescue, the ice-cream shop owner, offers to give Harry his for free and Harry barely thinks before saying yes. Despite being wealthy now, it's quite hard to rid himself of the mindset of not being wealthy. Free samples at grocery stores used to be Harry's saving grace so obviously, he's not going to pass up free ice cream.

After buying new quills and parchment, they make their way inside Gambol and Japes Wizarding Joke shop and find Fred, George, and Lee buying Dr. Filibuster's Fireworks. They don't spend much time in this shop and as they leave, Ron asks, "Do you need anything for Hedwig, Harry?"

Harry immediately starts ranting. He has so many feelings about Hedwig and what she's been through this summer, he could talk for hours about how angry he is with his relatives.

"They were starving you too, you know," Ron reminds him as they make their way to Eeylops.

Harry glares at him, "I got food three times a day —"

"Are you seriously going to try and brush that away?"

"I'm just saying!" Harry exclaims. "I got food three times a day and Hedwig got cold, soggy vegetables. She's a carnivore, Ronald!"

Harry finally stops after he's bought a few bags of owl treats. Hermione changes the subject onto her retainer and it effectively distracts him.

After an hour, the trio heads down to Flourish and Blotts and Hermione lets out a squeal when they get closer at the same time Ron lets out a groan.

"What?" Harry says.

"Gilderoy Lockhart — he's here! He's signing copies of his new autobiography, oh my goodness, we'll actually get to meet him," Hermione sighs dreamily.

Hermione, his very logical best friend, is a fan of Gilderoy Lockhart.

Harry sighs. Not dreamily, just tiredly.

They enter the bookshop and each grab a copy of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 and then sneak up the line to get behind the Weasleys and Mr and Mrs Granger.

"Oh, there you are, good," Mrs Weasley says breathlessly. "We'll be able to see him in a minute..."

Harry can tell when Lockhart emerges because the chatter picks up. They sound more excited to see Lockhart than Hogwarts had been to see Harry during his sorting.

"Out of the way, there," somebody snarls, pushing Ron, Hermione, and Harry out of the way. "This is for the Daily Prophet —"

"Big deal," Ron mumbles. "Bloody git, stepping on my foot —"

"It can't be Harry Potter?"

"No, no, no, no, no," Harry mutters under his breath when the crowd quiets down to excited whispers. Somebody — Lockhart — seizes Harry's arm and pulls him out of Ron and Hermione grip. The crowd bursts into applause and Harry doesn't have time to start yelling as Lockhart is now shaking his hand vigorously as a camera clicks away.

"Nice big smile, Harry," Lockhart says. "Together, you and I are worth the front page."

Harry scowls instead. When his hand is finally let go, it's almost numb. Just as he opens his mouth to shout — good god, it's been too long since he's had a good row with somebody — Lockhart throws an arm over his shoulders and begins speaking as Harry tenses and frowns deeply.

"Ladies and gentlemen," the crowd quiets. "What an extraordinary moment this is! The perfect moment for me to make a little announcement I've been sitting on for some time!

"When young Harry here stepped into Flourish and Blotts today, he only wanted to buy my autobiography — which I shall be happy to present him now, free of charge —" the crowd applauds again. "He had no idea," Lockhart continues, giving Harry a little shake that makes his lip curl up in disgust, "that he would shortly be getting much, much more than my book, Magical Me. He and his schoolmates will, in fact, be getting the real magical me. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have great pleasure and pride in announcing that this September, I will be taking up the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!"

A large stack of books is dropped into his arms as the crowd applauds and Harry quickly makes his way back through the crowd, not even apologizing for bumping into people.

"Merlin," Ron mutters when Harry reaches him.

"One of you can have these — Ginny, here, I'll buy my own," Harry tells her.

"Oh," she squeaks as he dumps the books into her cauldron.

He shakes his arms to get feeling back into them and scowls again, opening his mouth to begin cursing about Lockhart, only to be interrupted again.

"Bet you loved that, didn't you, Potter?"

Harry clenches his fists.

" Famous Harry Potter," Malfoy continues. "Can't even go into a bookshop without making the front page."

"Leave him alone, he didn't want all that!" Ginny cuts in before Harry can talk and he blinks.

"Potter, you've got yourself a girlfriend!"

Harry raises his eyebrows. Before he can think too much about why his mind thinks that's disgusting, Ron's voice enters the conversation.

"Oh, it's you. Bet you're surprised to see Harry here, eh?"

Real subtle, Ron, why don't you tell him all about Dobby too?

"Not as surprised as I am to see you in a shop, Weasley," Malfoy retorts. "I suppose your parents will go hungry for a month to pay for all those."

Harry immediately grabs the back of Ron's jacket as Ron drops his book into Ginny's cauldron too.

"Ron!" Mr Wealsey now joins in. "What are you doing? It's too crowded in here, let's go outside."

"Well, well, well — Arthur Weasley."

Harry sighs.

"Lucius," Mr Weasley says coldly.

Ah, so this must be Malfoy's father.

"Busy time at the Ministry, I hear," Mr Malfoy says. "All those raids... I hope they're paying you overtime?"

There's a beat of silence, in which there's a rustle of movement before —

"Obviously not. Dear me, what's the use of being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you well for it?"

"We have a very different idea of what disgraces the name of wizard, Malfoy," Mr Weasley says.

"Clearly," Mr Malfoy says. "The company you keep, Weasley... and I thought your family could sink no lower —"

There's a sudden thud of metal and then a crash. A few more crashes after that, as well as a few screams. Fred and George yell, "Get him, Dad!" and Mrs Weasley shouts, "No, Arthur, no!"

A shop assistant tries to break up the fight but the loud voice of Hagrid is what does it.

"Break it up, there, gents, break it up —"

The sound of a book hitting somebody's body, accompanied by, "Here, girl — take your book — it's the best your father can give you —"

"Yeh should've ignored him, Arthur," Hagrid says after the shop door slams. "Rotten ter the core, the whole family, everyone knows that — no Malfoy's worth listenin' ter — bad blood, that's what it is — come on now — let's get outta here."

Harry grips Ron's arm tightly, trying to stop the hands from shaking. And he thought Diagon Alley itself was overwhelming...

Mrs Weasley is beside herself in fury. "A fine example to set for your children... brawling in public... what Gilderoy Lockhart must've thought —"

"He was pleased," Fred cuts in. "Didn't you hear him as we were leaving? He was asking that bloke from the Daily Prophet if he'd be able to work the fight into his report — said it was all publicity —"

They reach the Leaky Cauldron to Floo back to the Burrow. Harry says goodbye to Hermione and her parents, grips Ron's arm even tighter, and steps into the fireplace with him.

It's probably the most underwhelming end to such an overwhelming day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 5K 41
Some people just change our lives. But we get to choose if it's for better or for worse. ♡ ♡ ♡ published: august 20, 2021 DISCONTINUED. I'm so sor...
147K 4K 29
Original Story from AO3 by DayDreamer315 After the war Harry Potter's world falls apart. Then he is offered a chance to try and make a better future...
5K 109 33
After having one hectic first year at hogwarts, Katherine wishes for a normal second year. Will her wish come to life? Or will it be just as bad. Re...
4.8K 199 12
I suck at writing summaries I apologise in advance. Based off the movies not books! Y/N is a Weasley, and a twin. Ronald's twin. Going back to Hogwar...