Not Her

By dieFabuliererin

Ahsoka takes the shot that Hardeen fires instead of Obi-Wan. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 12

3.2K 100 51
By dieFabuliererin

Fox nods at Anakin as he leaves the facility, a silent promise to clean up the mess and falsify a report or two. The Commander isn't the type to allow Jedi to kill prisoners within his facility, but he can see the look in Anakin's eyes. If he protests this justice, he'll end up in the same state as Hardeen.

He wants to tell the Chancellor, knowing the man will find forgiveness in his heart and help cover up the evidence, but he can't. Nobody, besides Commander Fox and the Jedi Council, know the real Hardeen is in prison whilst Mace Windu parades around in his skin.

Besides, the Chancellor has his own problems with his upcoming trip to Naboo; he can't carry Anakin's troubles as well.

He breaks down in sobs as he dials Padmé's frequency, even though he never ends up calling her. He can imagine her look of disappointment on her perfect face. Could she ever look at him again without seeing a man who murdered an unarmed prisoner in cold blood?

He wonders how his mother would look at him right now, knowing what he's just done. She'd probably fall to her knees, crying his name.

She'd be broken.

Walking into the Temple doesn't feel right. It isn't honourable to enter a holy place with so much blood on his hands- literally. He goes to his quarters, ignoring ever Jedi who tries to speak to him on the way there.

He turns the water up to scalding, pushing Hardeen's pain-filled grunts out of his head with the sound of rushing water. Anakin watches the bloody water swirling down the drain, tells himself over and over, the man deserved to die.

Hardeen deserved all the pain and suffering. Ahsoka didn't. Now, justice has been served. Anakin's got what he wanted.

Afterwards, when he's stopped shaking, Anakin sits on the couch; he doesn't know what to do with himself. He has to go to Naboo tomorrow, and if he doesn't have his head on straight, then more blood will be on his hands.

It'll be his friends' blood this time, not some merciless bounty hunter.

Anakin stands, runs a hand down his face and leaves his quarters, following Ahsoka's Force-signature to the Temple's courtyard. There's a metallic taste of blood in his mouth, and he knows red stains are hiding under his nails, but no matter how hard he scrubs, he doesn't think he'll ever be clean again.

He hasn't been clean since he killed those Tusken Raiders on Tatooine; what's one more murder under his belt?

///

"I don't believe you got all the way out here on your own."

Ahsoka looks up at Anakin as he walks over to them, arms crossed over his chest and wearing a cocky smirk. Tenderly, she presses on their bond, seeing if he's still feeling the way he did last night.

His shields are up tight, too strong for her to break. Ahsoka huffs inwardly; she'll have to ask him about what happened later.

"Rex is my witness." She tilts her head towards the Captain with a small smile before standing up. "We had to sneak around Master Che-"

Young one!

She overbalances, forgetting about her prosthetic. A split second of panic is all it takes for her to start falling.

Anakin's eyes widen as he darts forwards, catching her with two hands under her armpits. His grip tugs on her shoulder wound, but it's better than having her sore body crash onto the courtyard.

"Don't do that to me, Snips." She hears him mutter as he lifts her back onto the bench. "Does anything hurt?" He scans her body cautiously.

"I'm fine, Master." She says, trying to shake off the adrenaline that rushed through her when her leg gave way.

"If you can tame her, General, I better get back to the barracks." After he receives a nod of permission, Rex stands and puts his helmet under his arm again. He winks at Ahsoka before he turns to leave, "Later, kid."

Once the Captain leaves, Anakin drops to one knee and stars tinkering with her prosthetic. Ahsoka sighs as he pulls out a servodriver, "What are you doing to Skipper?"

Anakin chuckles, "Skipper nearly slipped a disk when you tried to stand up too fast, my young Padawan. I need to tighten the joint suspenders."

She lets him fix the prosthetic- knowing there's no stopping him- whilst she sits on the bench. She leans back on her hands, tries to act casual, "What happened last night?"

He keeps working, but she feels his grip tighten by a fraction on her leg, "What do you mean?"

Playing ignorant; classic.

"I thought you died or something." She says, her voice quieter as she admits it out loud. "I was asleep, but then I woke up to your pain hitting me through the Force like a speeder."

"I'm sorry for waking you," he mutters, keeping his eyes down.

"Anakin." She waits until he lifts his head, "Just tell me what happened."

"I dropped one of Obi-Wan's mugs," he says, and Ahsoka can see through the lie like it's glass, "his favourite one, and I thought he would be angry at me."

Anakin's never been embarrassed to break something, especially when it's something of Obi-Wan's.

Ahsoka nods, says nothing. She can't believe he just blatantly lied to her face. The pain she felt through their bond was definitely not from breaking a mug.

More like breaking a heart or something.

She can't be bothered to call him out for his crap.

"All fixed." Anakin sighs, sitting back on his heels.

She tests the limb, "Do you think I'll be able to fight like I used to?"

Anakin looks up at her. She can tell he's chewing his words to find the right answer.

She already knows she'll never be able to fight like she used to.

"You'll have to adapt." Anakin eventually says, "You'll have to work your shebs off, but I have faith in you. We'll get you there."

"I never thought I would miss the front lines." She muses, and Anakin hums in agreement. He's been grounded to the Temple just like she is.

It's quiet in the courtyard, and she's grateful for that, although she's starting to get bored of only speaking to only a handful of people for hours on end. She wants some action, some excitement.

"Where's Senator Amidala?" She asks, "I haven't seen her recently."

"She's already on Naboo." Anakin replies, not even having to think about it as he stands, "Go careful this time."

Slowly, Ahsoka stands up, making sure her shoulders, knees and ankles are aligned. Anakin watches her carefully, ready to catch her at any time. It reminds her of early on in her Apprenticeship when he was teaching her complex acrobatic sequences and was constantly paranoid she would break her neck if he looked away.

She extends her legs, reaching her full height, "That feels fine now."

"I'll have to teach you to fix Skipper when I'm not around." He says, adopting the new name as he stands up as well.

"Can I try walking on my own?" She asks before he can take a hold of her elbow. "I think I can do it."

Anakin's gaze clouds with worry, but he nods. "I'll be right beside you if you need me."

Like he always is.

Ahsoka floods their bond with gratefulness, knows she'll never be able to put her appreciation of her Master into words. Anakin smiles back, giving her a mock salute before coming to her side.

Ahsoka straightens her spine- only feels a slight twinge- and spreads out her hands before she takes her first step. Her left arm will do very little to catch her if she falls, but Anakin knows this and stands on her left side, hovering near but still giving her independence.

Taking a deep breath, Ahsoka puts her faith into Skipper and starts to walk. It's strange to have to re-learn a skill she's had since before Master Plo found her. Mostly, her body is using muscle memory, except she has a completely new limb to try and utilise.

"Very good." Anakin praises once she takes five successful steps forwards. "Keep your eyes up, just like Healer Tyson told you."

She lifts her gaze, tries to remain calm and keep her posture in check. Her next few steps are less wobbly, and Skipper holds up well. Anakin projects pride through their bond, giving her even more confidence.

It isn't until a wave of dizziness washes over her that she comes to a stop and clutches onto Anakin, watching the courtyard spin as a vision comes on.

The planet Serenno. Rako Hardeen in a room. A box. Cad Bane. More bounty hunters. Competition. Count Dooku watching Hardeen with Moralo Eval.

"I'm beginning to think he may be the best one to lead this operation."

///

Anakin knows what it looks like when a Jedi's having a vision. That's the only thing stopping him from hailing Master Che when Ahsoka goes slack in his arms. As she trembles with her eyes clenched shut, he sweeps her into his arms and brings her back to the bench.

As soon as she's sat back down, her eyes snap open and she gasps, tears threatening to fall down her face.

"Easy, Snips; it wasn't real." He says, sitting beside her and putting an arm around her shoulders to keep her upright. "It's fine, you're safe."

He projects love and comfort through their bond, knowing it will help more than words.

Her hand clutches his tunic, and every breath comes out like a shudder. He remembers being an Apprentice and rarely going to Obi-Wan when he had a vision out of fear of being dismissed, and he doesn't want Ahsoka to ever feel like she can't talk to him.

Only when she's breathing normally does he speak, "Want to talk about what you saw?"

Ahsoka numbly shakes her head, leans heavily against his side. Sure, he could break through her shields and take a look for himself, but Anakin can respect her privacy; he rarely tells her about his own visions.

"Please, Master, can I go with you to Naboo?"

Anakin sighs, of course, she tries to join him when he's supposed to leave in less than an hour.

"Ahsoka, there's a threat to the Chancellor's life. It'll be safer if you stay here. Hardeen is rumoured to be there. I don't want him getting anywhere near you."

He can't believe he's lying to her.

Anakin and Obi-Wan- after many hours of deliberation- concluded that Ahsoka shouldn't find out about the Council's plan. They agreed that what she doesn't know won't hurt her, and if everything goes well on Naboo, then they shouldn't put more stress on her by telling her the truth.

It sucks, but Anakin is keeping this from her with her best intentions in mind.

"I'll be lonely." She murmurs, "Master Che doesn't like the clones coming, and you, Padmé and Master Obi-Wan will be gone. I'll be all on my own."

Another sigh escapes Anakin as he squeezes her shoulder. Togruta are a sociable species, and Ahsoka's rarely isolated from others. Still, he can't risk bringing her to Naboo. "Sorry, Snips. I need you to stay here, away from danger."

She sighs sadly, "Yes, Master."

He pulls her to his side, feels like an awful Master for making her upset. "You're such a good kid, Ahsoka, and an even better friend. I promise to make it up to you when this is all over."

She just nods, her lips pressed together tightly. He can tell she's trying to hold herself together.

She drops her gaze to her hand and frowns, "It'll never be the same, will it?"

Anakin sighs, thankful for the change in conversation but it's still a dreary subject, "Master Che said with physiotherapy and time, some of the nerve damage will-"

"Some." Ahsoka spits back, tries to clench her left fist but it only gets halfway. "I don't need some, Master, I need all of the damage to be fixed."

He feels helpless, sensing her frustration build in the Force. "You should be focusing on what you've already achieved instead of what you haven't, Ahsoka."

She stays quiet, just watches her hand that she tries to pull into a tight fist. Her shoulders tremble with the effort. Anakin lowers his hand and puts his fist into her palm. She clasps her fingers around his hand, managing to keep a strong grip which brings a small smile to her face.

"You couldn't do this until yesterday." He says, smiling as well.

Ahsoka lifts her eyes to meet his, the chevrons on her lekku darkening. "Sorry for getting upset, Master."

"You're fine, kiddo." He brings her into his side. "You've been through a rough ordeal, and you're handling it magnificently. You should be very proud of how far you've come, my Padawan."

His comm beeps, breaking their moment of serenity, and Anakin sighs, "That's my cue to board the shuttle, Snips. I'll tell Master Plo that I'm leaving so he can come down here."

///

Ahsoka nods, feels unwelcome tears brim in her eyes. She loves Master Plo dearly, but it's not the same as being around Anakin and the clones. Besides, the Force is still telling her that she cannot stay on Coruscant.

Your Master's life depends on you going to Naboo, young one.

She can't ignore her instincts.

When the time comes for Anakin to leave, Ahsoka is only a few- slow and steady- steps behind him. She leaves a note for Master Plo and hopes the ship will be too far to turn back by the time the Kel Dor gets her message.

It isn't the first time she's gone behind Anakin's back, but this somehow seems different from the Citadel.

Back then, Anakin didn't want her to go due to the risk factor. She was a fit and healthy Jedi Padawan who didn't want to be left behind whilst her Master went on one of the most exciting missions of the war.

Now, she's an amputee with one working hand and no sense of balance, fearing for Anakin's life.

Anakin always forgets to check the luggage hold. He's too busy licking the Chancellor's shebs to even notice her boarding the ship. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

978 27 15
As the Clone Wars worsen, Anakin and Aniya struggle with the aftermath of losing their Padawans. Elsewhere in the galaxy, Ahsoka and Alema search for...
21.7K 916 16
The story is changing. The whole beginning and end of the story you were once told as a child has been changed. But for the better? Let's see. Sequel...
1.6K 48 13
Shot down on Ryloth by rebels, Vader and Sidious quickly discover a far more serious threat than the other insurgents: a Fallen Obi-Wan, determined t...
985 25 8
In the aftermath of Mortis, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Rex crash land on a mysterious planet. What they discover is far beyond their wildest dreams...