The Nurse

Por CamoJane

With war raging all around, some battles can't be won... ♠ The year was 1916, Elosie Keller was dwelling in a... Más

Chapter 1: Tell Me Your Story (Prologue)
Chapter 2: Down In the Poppy Field
Chapter 3: Survivor
Chapter 4: Eloise Ellen Keller
Chapter 5: The Germans
Chapter 6: Taken!
Chapter 7: The German Nurse
Chapter 8: The Loss of a Friend
Chapter 9: To the Airfield
Chapter 10: Magic Plants
Chapter 11: A New Friend
Chapter 12: The Transfer Papers
Chapter 13: The Final Night
Chapter 14: The Curse of a Woman
Chapter 15: No Man's Land
Chapter 16: Found by the Tommies
Chapter 17: Prisoner to the Hospital
Chapter 18: A Wartime Child
Chapter 19: The General's Daughter
Chapter 20: The Birth of a Child
Chapter 21: Return to the Field Hospital
Chapter 22: Men In Planes
Chapter 23: The German Patient
Chapter 24: A German Friend
Chapter 26: The Reunion
Chapter 27: Resignations and Propositions
Chapter 28: The Black Knight
Chapter 29: The Truth of Albert
Chapter 30: Closure
Chapter 31: To Germany
Chapter 32: Confessions of Mrs. Ramsay
Epilouge

Chapter 25: The Road to the Right

972 57 4
Por CamoJane

A cool gust of air danced through the field hospital. Eloise walked beside the remaining patients, hoping that no more casualties would come from the front. Three months of bitter bloodshed had taken a toll on the soldiers and the nurses. She did not know how much more pain she could bear for the soldiers.

The limbless man caught her eye from across the room. Desperate attempts to pull his blanket ended in failure. She rushed to his side and with a gentle hand she pulled the thick blanket around his body. His disfigured face formed a thankful smile. She patted him reassuringly before continuing on.

The sight of disfigured patients wore heavy on her mind. Her heart ached for their pitiful conditions, knowing that their lives were forever changed.

"They say that victory has come for the British and Canadians at Passendale." Adeline's voice spoke from nearby.

A look of pleasure was on her face, along with the other women nearby. Pleasant chatter, a sound that had became scarce, started amongst the women. Eloise could not help but to smile. For once in months, there was momentary peace.

The clicking of boot heels drew Eloise's attention to the door. Standing in the frame was a Canadian officer. The sight of him alone made her stomach turn. Officers during the day often brought news, usually unwanted by the nurses and patients.

Eloise patted Adeline and motioned at the man. He stood perfectly poised as he studied the area he had entered. His eyes roamed over the crowd of people until they locked on Eloise. An unnerving pit began to form in her stomach. She watched him carefully as he steadily maneuvered toward them. His eyes held a hardened stare as he approached her.

"Are you Eloise?" the man asked gruffly, removing the uniform cap from his head.

"Yes, sir." She hesitantly replied, followed by a meek nod.

His hands dove into a pocket and retrieved a letter. "I am Major Wilson here on behalf of General Thomas Ramsay. This letter has been delivered to request your immediate service at the aid station."

His voice paused as he placed the paper into her hands. Eloise unfolded the note and read the words closely. A list of needed supplies had been compiled. Beneath the scribbled words was a location. As she continued to read, her eyes grew wide with disbelief. Her orders were written below. She felt her heart sank at the clearly instructed words. General Ramsay had called upon herself and Adeline to deliver the supplies to the station.

"Can you not deliver the supplies, sir?" She desperately asked, looking back down at the paper in disbelief. "I have a son that I simply cannot leave. General Ramsay knows this."

The man shook his head, "No, ma'am. My orders are to go to the next hospital to retrieve our recovered soldiers. I will not be returning in the direction of General Ramsay."

"Sir." Eloise whispered; Her voice almost pleading.

She reached the paper to Adeline, who immediately reacted. "This is preposterous! Can we not send them with someone else?"

"Ma'am, it is not my place to change the orders of General Ramsay. He has given me instructions. I am only the messenger."

Eloise nodded, resting a gentle hand on Adeline. "How long will it take?"

"It should take no longer than a day. You should not run into any fire, either. As of right now, the fighting in the area has ceased. You are to only deliver the supplies, nothing more."

Many thoughts ran through the mind of Eloise. She shared a glance with Adeline and shrugged. The orders had been made; nothing could be done.

"It will be a couple miles of a straight road. You will see the remnants of farmland." The man instructed simply. "You should come to a road that forks. Be sure you take the road to the left. The road to the right will go into a forest that leads straight into German territory."

"The road to the left." Eloise repeated the words, looking squarely at the man.

He nodded, "Yes. After several miles, you will come across a group of white tents with red crosses. When you see this, you will have reached your destination."

Adeline let out an annoyed huff as she passed beside them. She snatched the paper from Eloise's hands and began to reread the list. Annoyed by her actions, Eloise watched as Adeline moved swiftly throughout the building. Sloppily, she slung the items into a crate. She could sense the annoyance on Adeline, knowing that she hated the orders. Eloise disliked them as well, but knew she had to focus on what the man said.

"Do you have any questions, ma'am?" The man spoke calmly, observing the dramatic scene of Adeline.

Eloise shook her head. She repeated the instructions in her head, imprinting them into her subconscious.

"Then if I may, ma'am." He returned the hat onto his head and bowed. "I must be on my way. I wish you the best of luck.

She watched as the man left. She bolted up the stairwell toward her room. A frightened look came over the woman. Eloise guessed how she must have looked to the her. She neared the concerned woman, taking Ulrich from her arms.

"Is everything alright?" the woman faintly asked, stepping away from Eloise.

Eloise nodded, placing kissed along the face of her son. "Adeline and I have been given orders by General Ramsay to deliver supplies to the aid station."

The woman's eyes grew wide, "What are you going to do with Ulrich?"

"I don't want to go." She clutched the boy in her arms. "I fear I won't come back, then he will be alone."

The woman approached her and pulled her into a hug. "I will see that nothing happens to him while you are away."

Eloise looked up at her nervously. The woman's caring smile offered her slight comfort in the matter. Her heart still hurt at the thought of leaving him. The worry within was nearly unbearable, yet she had to bear it.

Eloise rested a gentle hand on the small cheek of Ulrich. His soft coo warmed her. She nervously began to pace the floor, whispering words to the content child. From the window she could see people loading the motorcar. Her reflection in the vanity stole her attention. She image of her son in her arms was one she wanted to remember forever.

"I want you to be a good boy." She placed a kiss on his head and brushed through the light wisps of blonde. "Your mother loves you and will be back as soon as possible."

The child stared at her with large blue eyes. For a second, she saw Albert but quickly drove the thoughts away. With a final kiss, she returned the child into the woman's arms. She fought back hot tears that began prick her eyes.

"Your son is safe with me."

Eloise nodded, forcing a smile on her face. "Thank you. I will return as fast as I can."

Eloise knew she could not stay any longer. Leaving the room caused a crater of pain in her heart. She stalled behind the closed door, looking back for a moment. With a sigh, she made her way to the loaded motorcar. The emotionless faces of the women watched her.

"Do you know where you are going?" Eloise questioned as Adeline climbed behind the wheel.

Adeline scoffed, "Of course. I listened to the man and his directions. Do you think I wouldn't know?"

Eloise sighed at the tone of Adeline, but ignored it. She glanced upward to the window of her room. The silhouette of ... with Ulrich danced beyond the glass. In a single second she felt her heart break.

"Are you coming, Eloise?"

Eloise broke her daze and climbed into the passenger side. The worn road was relatively smooth, compared to what Eloise imagined. Eloise could sense a building tension in Adeline as they continued down the path. Just as the man said, the remnants of farmland were all down the road. When Eloise closed her eyes, she could imagine them in their once glorious state. The reality was much harsher. Nothing was alive on the barren land.

Eloise paid no mind to the drive until they approached the forked path. In confusion, she watched as Adeline continued down the road to the right. She began thinking quietly to herself. In her spiraling mind, the instructions became jumbled with the other thoughts.

"We need to go to the left."

"No, he told us to go to the right." Adeline argued confidently, continuing down the road.

"I don't want to be a bother, but I know what the man said." Eloise argued sternly.

Adeline flashed a cold glare at Eloise, "And I don't?"

"What is wrong with you, Adeline?" Eloise bluntly replied, tired of the actions of Adeline.

Adeline huffed, "I didn't want to follow these orders."

"Do you think I did?"

"Yes, I do." Her voice raised. "You do anything for General Ramsay. I think it is because you wish to win his affections. You are doing a good job at it, too. He favors you over all of the other nurses, yet we all do the same work."

Eloise could not believe the words she was hearing, yet she continued to listen to the angered grievances.

"We even take care of your child so you can shine brighter than us in the operating room. The other ladies say that you would abandon Ulrich if General Ramsay asked that of you."

"Do not speak the name of my son." Eloise felt her face burning as she turned to face Adeline. "I want nothing to do with General Ramsay. No one seems to understand that I was captured and forced to be a nurse; I simply did not choose to be a nurse like the rest of you." The tone of her voice began to rise. "I will not be free to leave the hospital until the war ends. Although no one claims it, I am still a prisoner."

A pause came in the argument as Eloise thought of Adeline's words. "It takes a spiteful individual to think I would leave my son for anyone. Ulrich is the only person I have left in this terrible world. I love him with all of my heart." She looked up at the shocked Adeline and shook her head, "Only a mother could understand that. There are no mothers at the hospital, only jealous women."

"I admire you, just as many of the women do," Adeline's voice hushed. "You don't understand what it is like to always be second, because you are always number one."

"I understand your anger toward me." Eloise finally spoke, "You want to be a successful nurse, just as I want to be a successful mother. For both of us, something stands in way of our dream. You cannot be a successful nurse if you walk in my shadow; and I cannot be a successful mother if I walk in the light of a nurse. There is no sense in getting angry, for they are both factors we cannot change. We must learn to live in these stagnant waters."

A needed silence flooded the cab. The space between them filled with tension. The road quickly became bumpy and less visible compared to the other. The sun soon became blocked out by the heavily wooded area they entered. The leafless trees were cold and unwelcoming. In a matter of moments, they were immersed into a forest. Nothing was recognizable in the area. An uneasy feeling was settling in the pit of her stomach as she watched the scenery changing around her. Neither knew where they had ended up.

"We have entered into enemy territory," Eloise mumbled, pointing at the sign inscribed with German words.

Adeline glanced at her with wide eyes, "What do you mean?" the tone of her voice changed immediately from anger to panic.

"Those are German signs."

Adeline brought the motorcar to an abrupt halt, slinging Eloise forward. The rumble of the engine vanished, leaving nothing but utter silence. She pressed her hands against her face. Eloise could see tears welling up in her eyes. She placed a reassuring hand on Adeline's shoulder and offered her a tender smile.

"Don't panic, we will find our way out of here." Eloise attempted to remain optimistic in the situation. The pounding within her heart, however, was different.

Adeline nodded, letting out a deep sigh. As she went to restart the engine, a loud cranking sound came.

"What is wrong?" Eloise asked calmly in the worsening situation.

Adeline looked up; desperation filled her teary eyes. "The engine isn't starting."

The two women became silent. There was nothing either of the women could do, for the knowledge was not there. Eloise stared blankly out of the window. Her mind wandered onto image of her child. She closed her eyes, trying not to think of the situation. They were lost and stranded in enemy territory.

"I am sorry, Eloise. I should have listened to you." Adeline whispered, taking Eloise by the hand. "I should not have acted like I did. I am just so tired of this war. I meant nothing that I said."

Eloise's face melted. Anger was something she could not feel toward Adeline's honesty. The only objective that Eloise had was to get out of there and return to her son.

"Don't apologize, Adeline. I understand the stress you are under." Eloise answered respectfully, bailing from the cab. "We simply cannot sit here; we must keep going."

Without a word, Eloise began to fill the few satchels with the supplies. Adeline appeared and began to help. Mixed emotions about Adeline flooded Eloise. She did not know what to make of the strange feelings, yet she continued to work with her silently. Petty issues of another woman were least of her concern, for she was in enemy territory with no way out.

Eloise surveyed the surroundings of the forest. The road was almost nonexistent. Brown leaves littered the ground around them. The bare trees allowed bits of sunlight to drive away the darkness. Remnants of war was visible in places. Although the forest had saw its share of fighting, in that moment it was peaceful.

Eloise filled her lungs with a breath of fresh air, a rarity among the hospital. With a cleared mind, she took off walking. Her sense was heightened with every step she took. Her eyes scanned every detail of quiet forest. Occasionally, she would glance back at Adeline who silently followed.

After walking a great distance, a growing concern fell over Eloise. The road was not ending where Eloise knew it should. The area had grown thicker with trees and a narrow path. Eloise abruptly stopped and looked around. She did not want to admit they were lost, but the strong vibe in her stomach told her they were.

It was all unfamiliar to her. As her eyes surveyed closer, several paths had been worn through the woods. She knew that she had made a mistake and followed the wrong one. The woods were eerily quiet, leaving an uneasiness in the pit of Eloise's stomach. The path they followed was heavily worn, reiterating that it was travelled regularly.

Adeline paused by a tree, catching her breath. "How long have we been walking?"

"I am not sure." Eloise replied, waiting for her to catch up. Her eyes scanned the wooded area closely. "We shouldn't stay in one place very long."

An annoyed huff found its way from Adeline. "I am tired of walking, Eloise. My feet are aching something tremendous."

Eloise offered her a half smile, hoping it would sustain peace between them. "Adeline, I know that it is difficult but we must keep going. I want to get this delivered so I can return to my son."

Adeline thought to herself for a moment before walking out ahead of Eloise. The two remained silent as they continued strolling through woods. Eloise stepped carefully ahead, pausing every other step to watch and listen for any sign of human existence. It reminded her of the prior years in the Belgian forest. Her secluded, happy cottage was a beloved memory that she held dear.

"How are you remaining so calm, Eloise? We are in enemy infested woods."

Eloise glanced at her friend, "I lived in the woods for most of my life. I suppose that it does not frighten me to return." She paused, giving Adeline a moment to catch up. "One must be calm when there is a great possibility of meeting the enemy. How else do you think I have made it this far?"

Adeline let out an exhausted breath of air, "I think that you are crazy. That is how you have made it this far."

A smile appeared on the face of Eloise, who began walking once again. "I can tell you are not pleased with our current situation."

"You are?"

Eloise thought, "No, but I am trying to not think about it. If I presented my mind with the idea that we are lost, I believe I would go mad." She looked around the empty, foreign forest and shook her head. "The thought of never seeing my son again terrifies me. I have to think to myself I am getting out of here for him."

Adeline let the conversation end. Eloise looked up at the bare treetops, catching a glimpse of the clouded sky. The time of day was uncertain to her, yet she knew that the evening would soon be coming. A chilling air blew through the woods, rustling the limbs above. Eloise tugged at the sweater around her body in hopes to drive away the cold.

After trekking a great distance, the wooded area soon became clear. An uneasy feeling came over Eloise at the sight of beaming light. She knew of the dangers that could lurk beyond the wooded covering.

"We made it out of the woods!" A shriek of excitement came from Adeline, who bolted toward the woods' edge.

Eloise hurried after her, catching her by the arm. With a sturdy jerk, she pulled her friend back into the cover.

An annoyed expression came onto the face of Adeline. "What are you doing, Eloise? We have found the end of the woods. There could be help beyond this forest."

"I don't know where we are at. There could be enemies just beyond those trees." Eloise respectfully explained, releasing the arm of her friend. "I know you want to be found, as do I; but I am only trying to protect you. If I am to be found, I do not wish for it to be by the German army."

Adeline's gaze turned toward the light. "What if the only people here are Germans? What are we going to do, Eloise?"

The words were the haunting truth. Aside from themselves, Germans were the only people there. The mind of Eloise had drawn a blank. A plan of action was inexistent. Her thoughts returned to her son, who was alone with the women of the hospital. An aching filled her.

"Wait here." Eloise whispered to Adeline.

Slowly, she crept to the forests edge, mindful of the steps she made. Hiding behind a wide tree, she looked out beyond. Before she could make an observation, she heard the dreaded sound—someone approaching. With a sharp turn she looked at Adeline, whose fear was visibly written on her face.

"Eloise," her voice trembled, "Did you hear that?"

Eloise pressed a single finger against her lips. Thick German voices carried through the woods. She returned to the side of Adeline, careful as to not make a sound. Eloise rested her hand on the shoulder of her friend, hoping to ease the tension in her body. Eloise kept her eyes and mind moving at all times. A couple feet nearby was a large pile of brush. The urge to run and hide behind it filled Eloise, yet she knew that any sudden movement could be their last. Her eyes scanned the large tree beside them, knowing that both women could not be hidden with it.

"You should hide here." Eloise instructed Adeline, who slid to the ground. Her trembling hands clutched the trunk of the tree as if it were going to be a sole protector.

"Where will you go?" Adeline whispered, looking around frantically.

Eloise shrugged, looking around. "I'll find somewhere. If we are found, speak only in German. We are lost German nurses."

Adeline nervously nodded at the instruction. Eloise gave her a reassuring pat before searching for cover. The voices of the men grew louder with every passing second. Options were scarce in the open section. The only trees that remained nearby were thin and unsuited for coverage. Desperate for coverage, she fell to the ground near the pile of brush. As quietly as possible, she raked the colorful leaves around her body. The camouflage was a desperate attempt to remain unnoticed.

The sounds of German conversation were beside them. From Eloise's position she had a faint visual on Adeline. As she watched her friend, she grew nervous. She could see Adeline breaking beneath the pressure. The men were slowly making their way from the women, when Eloise saw Adeline began to move nervously around the tree. She longed to cry out a word of halt, but knew she could not.

Disappointment filled Eloise's heart, thinking for a moment they had made it. She could hear as the German men began to approach the tree. Eloise shut her eyes hoping that it would be a quick end. She glanced at Adeline, who had begun to cry.

"Halt!" One of the men called out intensely, drawing his sidearm.

Eloise watched in desperation as Adeline crawled from behind the tree, hands raised in the air. Tears streamed down her face as she met with the strangers. The two men carefully studied Adeline in great detail. Eloise could hear them conversing quietly amongst themselves. Their words were a mix of concern and confusion. Her heart pounded violently in her chest, unsure of what actions she should do next. She could not bear the thought of Adeline being killed before her very eyes. She shut her eyes tightly, thinking of her son one last time before moving quietly from her cover. As she watched the scene unfolding before her eyes, she formulated a plan that she hoped would bring success to them.

"Please help us!" Eloise called out, slowly rising from her hiding spot.

The other man drew his pistol and pointed it at Eloise. She slowly raised her hands in the air and moved toward them.

"Halt!" His voice chilled her, freezing her in the spot. "Who are you and why are you here?"

She turned to her side, allowing them to see the medical bag that hung at her side. "We are nurses."

"Why are there two nurses alone in the woods?" The man neared Eloise.

She kept her eyes on him, showing no fear to the men. "Our motorcar stopped running several miles back and now we are lost."

"You have no map?"

Eloise shook her head, "The medical general gave no map. He feared that it might fall into enemy hands."

The two men exchanged suspicious glances and whispered amongst themselves. Eloise looked at Adeline, whose mild fear had morphed into a true terror.

"You are German?" The man asked Adeline, making her eyes grow wide.

"Yes, we are." Eloise spoke in response, averting the men's attention to her. "Could you please tell us where we are at?"

One of the men replied, "We cannot disclose that information to you here."

"But we can take you to our captain, who can give you directions to your hospital." The other man finished, motioning Eloise toward them. "We are stationed just a few miles outside of the woods. We are currently doing our daily patrol."

Eloise nodded at the men as they spoke to her. She studied them carefully, noticing simple details of airmen. They were from an airfield and the woods served as a barrier from the enemy. Their location was slightly becoming clearer to Eloise.

"Let us go?" The German man motioned them to walk. "The captain will be expecting us."

When the two men turned, Eloise rushed to Adeline's side. She wrapped her tightly in her arms, feeling the tremors rippling through her friend. Never had she saw Adeline so frightened. The men walked outside the woods, chattering carelessly between themselves. Eloise and Adeline followed closely behind. The evening light hit her eyes, forcing her to squint at the world beyond. Green sprigs of grass painted the land—a sight that was rarely seen during war. The world they were in had remained unscathed by the destruction of war.

Eloise kept her arm securely around Adeline. With every passing step, the tension dispersed from her body. They remained silent as they followed the Germans down a slope, entering into a flat plain of land. Eloise admired the beauty of the foreign land.

The two women abruptly halted in their tracks at the sight in the distance. White tents were lined in rows. Beside the tents were makeshift buildings, housing the one weapon that Eloise knew—planes.

"What is this place?" Adeline whispered, onlooking the intimidating scene in the distance.

Eloise felt her heart skip a beat as a smile formed on her face, "It is an airfield."

"And you are happy about that?"

Eloise instantly nodded, "Absolutely. These men are the best with navigation. They can get us out of here."

"But we are the enemy."

Eloise shot a stern glance at Adeline, motioning for her to keep quiet. "We are German nurses who are lost."

Adeline's only response was a nod as they followed the men toward the airfield. The unknown lied beyond, making Eloise's heart rate increase. She thought of how wonderful it could be if Albert was the captain. She kept her hopes set low, expecting the cold faces of strangers to welcome them into the camp.

Thanks for reading! Remember to vote and comment.

A/N: I hope that this chapter didn't feel too rushed. I am super excited about the next chapter. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I have writing it.  I hope to have it up in a couple of days. 

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

Book Of Ruth Por Andreth Leigh

Ficción histórica

1.2K 32 13
"Bitterness is unbecoming of a woman, but I cherish mine like the memory of first love. I see nothing in Leon Wagner, but an automaton. He is a machi...
57.5K 1.5K 50
All Jack knew was that he loved her...and one day, any way he could, no matter what it took, he'd make it back to her... **Sequel 'A Promise Broken'...
139K 7.1K 46
Against the backdrop of the First World War, a young soldier tries to forget his past and survive each day. Back in England, a young woman who has ma...
1.3K 57 45
Love can feel empowering. Love can be deadly. It can be the greatest thing to ever happen. It can be the biggest mistake that can't be reversed. It c...