Lemon Cake

By AmethystAmber87

#PartyBoss isn't a term Tulip Carpenter coined herself but she wears it with pride. Her life is a party, she'... More

Cast
Moodboard
Copyright
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Ten Years and Nine Months Ago
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Ten Years and Eight Months Ago
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Epilogue
Spinoff

Chapter Thirty-One

4.1K 372 106
By AmethystAmber87

The Townsend-Williams engagement party went off without any drastic hiccups as long as you don't classify seven-year-old Ivan Williams snatching his aunt's future mother-in-law's Supremes wig off and running around the ballroom yelling 'I found Rocket. Now, I'm the Star-Lord.' The fiasco lasted for about two minutes but it was talked about during the festivities, not to mention the entire ordeal was caught on a preteen's phone and had the verge of going viral by tomorrow afternoon. Either way, the event was a memorable one for the profoundly in-love couple that didn't let the child's hijinks or the deejay's hiccup with the playlist get in the way of them celebrating their love.

Tulip, however, was dog-tired by eleven. She'd been at the venue since five, in an oversized t-shirt and jeans sitting up tables, and chairs, and decorating the spot to Lillian Townsend's whimsical standards. The mid-thirty-something described her dream engagement party in two words; memorable and extravagant.  The extravagant was easy to obtain since The Townsend-Williams duo weren't just a couple but business partners for one of Houston's well-known and hottest social club. Tulip could vouch for the food, it was almost good enough to take one's eyes away from the acrobatic, rhythmic work of the performers.

Tulip sighed then kicked off her strappy heeled sandals. She needed to be barefooted for the last task that stood in the way of driving home, showering the sweat that accumulated between her skin and her champagne slip dress then collapsing into bed. 

"I hate confetti." Niesha declared, with one hand on the broomstick and a coffee mug in the other she glared at the gold and turquoise glossy confetti blanketing the wood floor. "We need to start charging extra for this."

"A fifty-dollar surcharge sounds enticing right now," Tulip said then took a sip of her coffee. The caffeinated liquid warmed the chills that nipped her skin since the room lacked the abundance of body heat it had before. "But I doubt that'll deter them. They love the fanfare and it does look beautiful floating from the rafters."

Niesha nodded, tugging at the bra strap under her silk champagne blouse that was stunningly paired with a burgundy suit and pumps. "They deserve it too. They've been together for eight years. Endured two bouts of cheating and a baby on the side. I'm surprised she said yes."

"He is too, that's why he dropped a stack and this shindig," Tulip stated as she started sweeping from the farthest point away from Niesha so they could meet in the middle. "Cause I'd be long gone."

"I mean...me too." Niesha gave her a nod of agreement. "But they went to counseling and worked out all their grievances. She looked blissfully happy and we're doing the wedding too so I'm happy for them."

"Our coins are secure. They're downpayment for December already slid into the account." Tulip put her math degree to work balancing the books and tending to all the accountant matters when she saw the payment in the account late one day last week and did a happy dance in her therapeutic office chair. She wasn't quite sure if the off-again on-again couple would back it to the altar but at least Niesha wouldn't be penalized for their relationship status deteriorating. "Winter weddings are fun."

"Your lack of enthusiasm tells me all that I need to know about Jasper dropping by yesterday."

Tulip shook her head, her lackluster statement was centered all around the notion of winter weddings. They were complete hassles along with the fact that it was a destination one too. The couple wanted snow and the element brought even more uncertainties into the plan. Flights getting delayed was a normal occurrence but throw in a blizzard as well and you'll be guaranteed a night of phone calls, improvising decorations from card stock paper, and chugging hot cocoa into the wee hours just to pull off dazzling ceremony and reception. Montana did look nice that time of year so at least she'll get some good shots for the website for the new year.

  "This has nothing to do with him although I have reasons to be every bit as annoyed as I want to be." Tulip brushed off a piece of confetti that attached itself to her leg. "He's annoying the hell out of me. I can't stand his ugly face."

Niesha gave her a suspicious look. "The Jasper I saw wasn't ugly but if you're talking about personality then I understand."

"Fine. He's aging well and I don't know anything about his personality." Tulip briskly swept where tables were once constructed and adorned with embellished gold cloth. She knew that nineteen was a big difference than twenty-nine so she had no clue what he was like as a person and she wasn't too interested in finding out. "He thinks saying 'I'm sorry' is miraculous. Just because I forgive you doesn't mean I've forgotten what you did and I want to be around you."

"But it isn't about you," Niesha said the words slowly as if it was something that should've already been common knowledge to Tulip. "It's about Sidney."

Tulip stopped mid-stroke, and the straw broom hovered over a sheet of confetti. The words felt like ice-cold water tossed in her face, startling her senses and freezing her with shock. She narrowed her eyes slightly trying to fully understand where Niesha was coming from. She couldn't see the exact angle so she finally fought the frenzied frustration and said. "This is about Sidney."

"Tulip, girl." Niesha stopped sweeping with a knowing look. "You know this isn't just about Sidney because if it was he'd be her sitter instead of someone you picked out from a website."

"That website is popular with vetted sitters and background checks. Carmen has a year of experience and sparkling references." Tulip declared, thinking of three of the wonderful things Carmen had in her resume. "She's skilled at what she does."

"So, her skill level is the only reason you shot down Jasper's suggestion."

"Ye—" Tulip stopped as something twisted in her stomach. Was it the faint realization that Sidney's development and psyche wasn't the only thing that went into her decision when it came to him? Or was it just because the last thing she ate was bacon-topped deviled eggs before the guest trickled in? Something in the back of her mind told her it was the former but she didn't want to admit that she had any shred of bitterness, but then again if she did she had valid reasons to do so.

The stillness of the night outside the venue made the silence between them louder than it was. Tulip took in a reassuring breath before she spoke. "I don't want Sidney to feel the pain I felt. I'm making decisions that are best for her."

"But how do you know he's going to do the same thing he did to her," Niesha said, then held out her hand to stop Tulip from jumping in. "He skied up ten years ago. That's a decade. You know how much development a person can do in ten years?" This time Tulip didn't move to speak so Niesha continued. "A lot. Plus, the human mind isn't even completely developed until the age of thirty-three."

"Okay." Tulip rolled her eyes. "I already know you minored in psychology. You don't have to flex."

"I'm not flexing." Niesha chuckled then got serious. "I'm just trying to give you facts. I'm your girl so I'm going to have your back regardless but this is about Sidney and from what you tell me...she likes the guy and they get along."

Tulip nodded. It was true. The girl even asked to call him and say 'good morning'. Of course, Tulip obliged. She wasn't cold-hearted. He answered on the second ring and the conversation lasted longer than morning salutations. Sidney even tried to make plans to invite him to her skating lesson this weekend. Tulip hurried her off the phone before solid plans were made. As she thought back on that moment it hit her, maybe her hesitation wasn't just about Sidney.

"You get on my nerves, you know that." She told Niesha as she started back sweeping confetti. "You're making points but I need to think some more."

Niesha nodded. "Just remember, you can't protect Sid from the world. If Jasper's still scum she has to learn that for herself or she'll build up resentment for not letting her see him."

"Thanks, Freud." Tulip teased. "Let's get back to cleaning so we can go."

As they swept the confetti and mounds and deposited them into trash bags, Tulip examined her feelings and decisions about Jasper and Sidney while trying to take her baggage out of the equation. She wondered if she could forgive and forget for Sidney's sake. Once she got into her car she knew she had to do one more thing before she entertained that thought. She input an address into her phone and knew her shower and sleep were going to be pushed further back.

Where do you think Tulip is going?

Do you think Niesha's right, Sidney will resent her if she doesn't let her see Jasper.

Is there a reason for Tulip to believe that Jasper will do the same thing to Sidney that he did to her?

Do you think the Townsend-Williams will back it to the wedding?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

453 118 19
Leaving home can be an adventure, making friends, building a new life, that's what many dream of doing, but what happens when after years of working...
4.7K 366 26
Divine Jackson is driven. She's always had people to take care of, and that list barely included herself. So, it was hard making any room for a man...
1.5K 6 26
Doctorate- ✅ Great paying job- ✅ Body goals- ✅ Friends- ✅ Reunite with biological family ❌ Boyfriend- To be determined... Liliana Harris just moved b...
48.6K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...