The Girl Whose Name Was A Poem

By Lacrimeah

"For years the Roman Empire has used descendants of the Sarmatian cavalry to guard their empire's fronteirs... More

BACKGROUND STORY (for those who haven't seen the movie)
Prologue: Go With The Big Boys
I. The Remains
II. Games
III. Turns of the Wheel (Part One)
III. Turns of the Wheel (Part Two)
III. Turns of the Wheel (Part Three)
IV. Something Wicked This Way Comes
V. How Knights Solve It (Part One)
V. How Knights Solve It (Part Two)
VI. Shards of Home
VII. The Roman Bishop
VIII. Shattered Ilusions
AUTHOR'S NOTE
IX. The Lady Knight
X. Petite and the Knights of the Round Table
XI. God's Prisioners
XII. Hell in Rain and Snow
XIII. Heaven According to Lancelot
XIV. Prophecy of a King
XV. The Lake of Sorrows
XVI. The Price of Freedom
XVII. At The Threshold of Fate
XVIII. The Parting of the Roads
XIX. The Blue-Faced Demons
XX. A Battle Of My Choosing
XXI. The First Advance
XXII. The Blood Of Britain
XXIII. A Beam in Winter
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
XXIV. The Birth of a Legend (Part 1)

III. Turns of the Wheel (Part Four)

137 3 0
By Lacrimeah

Finnally ! Last part of the chapter ! Im soooo sorry it came out this long, hehe. Now, here, you'll find out more about Devnet's celtic linage, quite a surprise I must tell you ;) Enjoy ! And don't forget to tell what you think ! Comments, reviews, even a vote ALWAYS encourage a writer, and helps them improve <3

A woad woman was standing a few feet away, eyeing them with curiosity. She wore dark clothes that clung to her body so they would not get in her way. Blue dye coloured her face and arms, and her coppery brown braids were held behind her head in a tight tail. There was a quiver and a bow protruding from her back, but she seemed to have no intentions of using them.

Devnet squinted her eyes, trying to match the woman’s face with one in her memory, of a little girl.

-Brona?-she ventured. Lancelot lowered his knife, eyeing Devnet over his shoulder.

The scout’s expression could have been friendly, if they had not been separated for years without seeing each other. Instead, it was only a stranger’s smile.

-Devnet-she greeted-Might the turning of the Silver Wheel tonight bring good fortune to your coming days-.

-And might the blessing of The Dagda and his lady, the Morrigan fall over you tonight-Devnet finished the usual Samhain greeting.

Brona nodded in appreciation and then her hazel gaze fell upon Lancelot, suspicious and somewhat resentful.

-And wich of Artorius men, pray sir, would you be?-she inquired quietly.

Lancelot held his head up, not intimidated in the least. His dark eyes glimmered with danger under the moonlight.

-I am the one called Lancelot-he thought for a moment and then added reluctantly-My lady-.

Devnet decided to step in before the hostility between them turned into a real confrontation.

-What business brings you here, Brona?-.

The woman averted her eyes from the sarmatian and focused on her.

-He wants to see you-she informed bluntly-Now-.

Devnet’s eyes widened.

-He-he is here? I mean, out there? I mean…now? I-wait, what?-she got tangled and confused by her own words.

-Yes. He awaits you by the edge of the forest-Brona explained impatiently, stamping her boot against the grass. Her eyes turned again to Lancelot, this time with disapproval-You must come alone-she emphasized the last word with contempt.

Lancelot shrugged sardonically.

-Worry not, lady-he replied with fake courtesy-I am quite sure she does not need me to escort her-.

-She has me for that, outsider-she spat resentfully.

The man seemed amused.

-I’ve been called worse. Is that your best insult?-.

-Lancelot-Devnet pointed out with an edge of warning in her voice-That is hardly necessary-.

She puffed with annoyance, standing on her feet and shaking off the herbs in her hair- Take it to my grandfather to organise secret family reunions when I am in the middle of something-.

Brona blinked with fake innocence.

- I do hate to interrupt your…business-she crossed her arms over her chest-But he was very insistent about it-.

“Oh Im sure you do”, she rolled her eyes and shot Lancelot an apologizing look.

“Do you mind if I go?”

He needed no words to answer that either.

“Do what you must, but be careful”

She released a heavy sight and nodded in Brona’s direction, telling her to lead the way. She kissed Lancelot’s rough cheek gently before following the woad scout.

An ancient door Devnet had not known to be there until now got them out into the fields. The full moon was at its highest point, and the light exposed them to any kind of eyes, but there were no guards a top of the wall by that time. Everyone was celebrating. She trailed behind Brona, their feet trotting lightly over the grass and making no sound as they marched towards the treeline.

Excitement and nerves wrestled inside Devnet, making her blood ring in her ears like a drum inside her head. It was always like that when it came to the Woads. She was a stranger and that made her uncomfortable and sometimes even afraid, yet she longed with all her heart to forge real bonds with them at the same time.

However, she bitterly realised she had not been amongst her mother’s keen for more than a few hours since before her father died. Her only contact with the tribe were the rare occasions when her grandfather decided to check up on her. And it had been fifteen months since he’d last done so.

And the Samhain atmosphere made the visit seem even more important and intimidating.

Entering the woods was like entering another world, one of ancient magic and mythical wind blowing though the leaves. Even this close to Hadrian’s, she already felt like in a foreign country that secretly called to her heart. Mist crawled around the base of the trees, and she could feel the eyes of the Woad scouts over them, even if there was no human sign in the forest; like spirits looking for her soul. Her skin prickled at the back of her neck.

He appeared from between the leaves without a single warning. He could have been part of the forest, just another bush amongst the trees; as a spirit stepping out from the thickets. Her grandfather’s mysterious face was a mixture of misty blue and a wild chestnut beard. And two eyes, more mythical than human, stared down at her with a solemn graveness that was out of this world; ethereal.

Devnet found herself face to face with her grandfather, and she felt no more significant than a pebble by the side of the road. Behind her, Brona had drifted off with the trees before she had even noticed her absence. 

-Grandfather-Devnet greeted, her voice trembling with respect as she bowed her head gently towards the imposing man.

If Merlin was surprised to see his granddaughter after fifteen months, he did not show any signs of it. He could have been carved in wood for all Devnet knew, until he opened his mouth in replay.

-Child-his voice was neither affectionate nor was it cold. She supposed it was only to be expected from a man who barely knew her, yet with whom she shared an important blood link-It has been long since this place last heard your steps-.

Shame washed over her, knowing she had neglected her heritage and that Merlin was deeply disappointed with her, even though there was no hint of it in his voice. His silence was worth all the words in the world.

-I have been negligent on my family-she admitted in a faint whisper, not daring to look up. The woad leader’s fingers rested beneath her chin and slowly lifted her face. His supernatural eyes never left hers. It had always been hard to hold her grandfather’s gaze, but she endured it. Her face reddened with embarrassment.

Merlin, however, looked almoust forgiving.

-All shall pass in its due time-he said mysteriously. He had that innerving habit of saying things without explaining any details. It was like speaking in riddles.

-Let us walk-he breathed in deeply and signalled for her to follow him. Devnet realised the air she had not realised she’d been holding.

Merlin was walking away even deeper into the forest. Devnet fell in beside him, stealing furtive glances in his direction. She was under the impression that the man hadn’t changed in all the years she’d known him. He looked exactly the same as the first time she remembered seeing him, and not a day older. It puzzled her, and for a moment she considered that the rumours about his immortality might as well be true.

She waited for him to speak first, not really sure how to behave around this strange man she was somehow related to. Her hands were clenched around the folds of her skirt, her eyes fixed upon the ground, unable to hide her nerves.

-Every time I see you, child, you look more and more like your mother-.

Devnet jumped when he spoke so suddenly, breaking the uncomfortable silence. She detected a pained tone in his voice, and for a moment fell terribly sorry for her him. Merlin had fathered seven children, of wich Aine had been the youngest and the only girl, so he had always been fond of her in a way he could not have been with his other children. Her death had hurt him more than any other.

 Of those seven sons, only five had made it to adulthood, and three of them died before having children. Aine and Cerywon, Devnet’s uncle, had given Merlin three grandchildren between the two, and both had died short after. Devnet and her cousins, Enyak and Guinevere, were all that was left to Merlin from his once numerous linage.

-Her face is blurry in my memory-she whispered shyly.

-That is of no surprise, child. You were a toddler when she died-.

-But...-she went on-My father always mentioned how much I resembled her too-.

Devnet wasn’t sure if she imagined it or if Merlin had actually smiled.

-Yes, her beauty has flowered upon you as well-the magician sighted- Your father was a good man. He never permitted that her memory was forgotten. A loyal husband…But Im afraid that, despite his good intentions, no sarmatian can teach a child how to be a woad-.

Merlin turned to her, and offered her his arm in a way so unlike of him, Devnet jumped to a side, thinking he might be drawing a weapon. At the same time she realised how stupid it was to think that of him. Her reaction amused him, apparently.

What is it in my actions that men always seem to find so funny.

-Can’t a loving grandfather walk arm in arm with his grandchild?-asked Merlin in their language, his voice unusually tender. Devnet accepted his offer thoughtfully.

-Of course he can, daideó-her Gaelic was a bit rusty and with quite a marked accent of Briton and even the faint shadows of sarmatian, but it was perfectly understandable. It suited Merlin just fine.

The elder emited a grave sigh. The sat on a fallen tree, contemplating the full moon between the outline of the trees.

-It is not a common thing when a full moon falls on Samhain-murmured Merlin, and he sounded surprisingly tired, though maybe it was just concern in his voice-I am quite afraid I am unable to make out its augury. My heart had grown unsettled, though-.

Devnet laced her pale fingers together, eyes lost to the moon.

-Well-she answered shyly-It is a common feeling on Samhain. Change can make anyone restless-.

It certainly did that to her. As if he’d read her mind, Merlin grabbed her wrist, as slim as a bird’s neck, making her attention draw back to him.

-Do not feel guilty for wishing your men never received their freedom. Any man or woman is scared of losing their family-.

Devnet could feel her eyes moister with unexpected tears that rolled down her face like “silver dew and liquid moonlight”. Lancelot always said that, because the damn fool knew it made her laugh. Lancelot, she recalled, had always had an aversion towards tears. He’d wipe them away from her face the moment they started rolling. He said they covered her adorable little freckles.

Gods she realised with authentic panic. How will I live without him?

How could she live without any of them?

-It is not only that-she whispered breathlessly, trying to hold back the tears. She would not cry in front of this man-It is guilt for my selfishness, and fear of being left alone again, and cowardice because I am not strong enough, faithful enough to dare follow them east-she sighted-I can’t even bring myself to visit Arthur in Rome…what kind of scared little mouse have I become?-.

-Is it truly cowardice to wish to remain in your own country, child? I certainly think not-.

She tightened her jaw.

-What holds me here, Merlin?-she demanded fiercely-A keen I do not belong to? Cousins I have not seen since childhood? A grandfather I see twice a year? Or maybe the cold, sad graves of my parents? Tell me. What kind of bond is that?-.

He stared at her, his hazel eyes forever wise.

-None you should care for-he replied calmly and pressed a finger over her collarbone-There is a reason that holds you back, otherwise you would not be as torn. I believe it is the hope that someday you will understand this land as your home, and love it, like your mother did. And deep inside, you know this land is heaven-.

-Why am I here, daideó?-she whispered again, feeling lost and vulnerable, and as lonely as if the knights had already left-What bothers your heart so much you took the trouble to send for me?-.

Merlin seemed genuinely surprised by her question, and was that regret in his eyes? He rested his hand, tanned and scared, knobby from countless battle fractures, yet without a single stain of age. The act was almoust fatherly, and Devnet was starting to wonder if this Samhain would actually turn her life upside down instead of bringing slight changes.

-I…admit I am to blame as well for the distance between you and us. I am, after all, your grandfather, and it is not up to you entirely to build our relationship-he sighted again-Despite my absence, I do care about your well-being, child. I knew this Samhain would be particularly heavy on you, with all the turns that are coming your way. However, I wanted to warn you as well-.

-Warn me?-she frowned-Warn me about what?-.

The wildling leader lifted his face to the sky, allowing the skims of moonlight to wash over his face.

-There is change in the air, and it has nothing to do with the Sarmatians´ discharge, Rome’s withdraw or the choices you may make in the future. Something comes our way, something that will change Britain’s history. Perhaps…it is just and old man’s hunch, but there is tension in the air. And I …I wanted to warn you, this might affect your own world as-well-.

-My world?-.

-Forces this big affects us all. I cannot tell if it will be for better or worst-.

Merlin’s granddaughter pressed her lips together.

-I will fight whatever comes against me. We will all do-.

Merlin’s face was sombre.

-Aye. That is what I fear-he stood-Take care of yourself. Child. And keep your loved ones close-he paused and then added-I shall be watching over you too, in my own way. You know, however, that I cannot cease to fight anyone who stands against my people’s freedom, even if there is no real affront between me and Artorius’s men-.

Devnet nodded. She’d always known that Merlin would never take pity on her men, just as she would not hesitate to murder any woad that came close to harm them.

-And neither shall I cease to protect them-.

She held her head high and glanced to her grandfather unafraid, holding his gaze despite its overwhelming intensity. Something flashed across those hazel, ancient wise eyes; something similar to pride, and he almoust imperceptibly nodded approvingly. After a moment of hesitation, Devnet stood on her tiptoes and kissed the man’s cheekbone, were the skin was still uncovered by his wild beard.

-The Morrigan and the Dagda bless you,Athair Críonna -.

-We’d better hope they bless us all, by all Gods, we will need it-he replied, placing his hands on her shoulder and kissing her forehead-Farewell, granddaughter-.

She offered a faint smile before turning to make her way back to Badon’s. But Merlin called after her.

-Child-his voice was almoust warm, and solemn-Years of battle have taught me, that no matter the sharpness of the swords, the aim of the arrows or the length of the spears; the most powerful weapon to win a war, is something much more stronger, and much more complicated-his gaze pulled away all inside her, uncovering her very soul, and she felt naked to him, not in a carnal way, but in spirit. And she felt closer to a power so much great beyond her comprehension.

-Love-stated the man, and the air around him seemed to tremble at his words-A fortunate union, an unexpected bond that goes beyond any sort of cultural divisions, might turn reluctant enemies into invaluable allies-.

Devnet eyed her grandfather. She felt a tingling in her chest, as if her heart understood what he meant, though the rest of her did not.

-Between the Woads and the romans, Merlin?-she hesitated to say.

-Between the Woads, and anyone who is willing to stand against Rome-.

Something hidden stirred inside her should.

-Daideó?-her question implied all the others in her heart. He stared at her intensely.

-Child, despite your upbringing…there is more of a Woad in you than what you suspect to know-.

And then he was gone, in that particular way of the Woads that made it appear as if they were made out of smoke and wind. Devnet found herself alone in the woods, left with an unsettling feeling inside her. Her head was a swirl of unidentified ideas she could not make out from one another. Merlin’s words echoed in her head, making her uneasy.

Trying to serenate herself somehow, she tried to organize her thoughts and the events rushing her way, while she returned to the fortress through the same route she’d left. The Knights’ discharge. Her decision to go with them or to stay. Merlin’s warning. And of course, her relationship with Lancelot. Because that “Would you come with me” changed all the ruled of their game.

Talk about Samhain, huh.

She suddenly was not in the mood for partying. She decided she’d just climb inside Lancelot’s bed and wait for him to take their business from where they’d left it at the Garden.

She rubbed her face as she entered the knights’ headquarter, smiling at Jols who was taking an opportunity to clean around. The halls were empty, for it was fairly early for the men to abandon the party. Some wouldn’t probably even return tonight. She’d caught a glance of Galahad entering the stables with two girls under his arm, the three equally drunk. She laughed to herself.

Pulling the flowers out of her hair, she opened Lancelot’s door and stepped inside.

The small white flowers fell to the floor, losing all their petals like a broken toy.

She heard a small shriek and the bed sheets pulled off to reveal Lancelot and some red-haired wench who tried hide her nakedness with indignation painted on her round little face.

For a moment Devnet simply stared at the couple, her lips slightly parted in surprised, not knowing what to say. And then something snapped inside her. Something furious and hurt. Betrayal.

She crossed the room like and exhalation to the girl’s side of the bed.

-Fun’s over, Ginger, get out-she snapped, cold as ice and hard as stone.

The wench stared at her with contempt and sneered.

-Excuse me? I believe it is you who should leaving right now, sweetie-.

Devnet rolled her eyes and grabbed her by the hair. She screamed in pain.

-Listen, you little bitch. You’d better walk out that door before I drag you off myself and throw you naked in the mud-.

-What on earth is wrong with you?-the girl tried to dig her nails in Devnet’s hands, but she twisted and pulled at her hair harder, as if wanting to tear it off her scalp-Lancelot!-sobbed the girl.

The man sighted and simply rubbed his face, tracing circles over his temples.

-You’d better leave, Erin-.

Ginger stared at him in disbelieve before jumping out of the bed, freeing her hair from Devnet’s grasp, pulling her dress sloppy over her figure and slamming the door behind her with not a single glance over her shoulder.

A deadly silence fell over the room.

-Devnet-began Lancelot, but she cut him off.

-Do not talk to me-.

-Please, look at me-.

-I can’t. You disgust me. Now let me make this quite clear. I never demanded fidelity from your part, but when you ask a woman to leave her whole world behind and run off with you, you do not fuck another wench afterwards-she spoke quietly, but with no softness in her voice. Her tone was flat, her eyes clouded with fury. She would not lose her mind in front of this…this man-whore.

-I am sorry-.

-I don’t want your apologies, Lancelot du Lac. In fact I don’t want anything from you. Not anymore. How dare you take another woman when not even an hour before you were about to have sex with me. I am not one of your prostitutes. I was your friend, not someone you just replace when she’s not available-.

-I didn’t know if you were coming back…-.

-I don’t give a damn about what you thought!-for a moment she lost her temper, but forced herself to breathe and keep her icy tone-From now on, you don’t talk to, you don’t look at me, you don’t even breath my way unless we’re forced to. I am done with you-.

A turning of heels. A  rustle of skirts, a series of hard, angry steps and a door slamming so hard it made the knight’s teeth clatter; and she’d walked out on him.

Devnet locked herself in her room, because she didn’t want to accidentally unleash her fury over someone else who had nothing to do with it. She lit the chimney and dragged her chair, sitting and staring at the flames with her face carved out of stone. In complete silence, unmoving. Just staring without seeing, until the heat became unbearable to her eyes. She would rub them and the reassume her watch.

It wasn’t until the sky was already greying the East that she started crying.

Well, here ends chapter four (very long I know I know). I want to take the chance to thank the lovely sould that have blessed me with their votes. They mean SO much! So thank you and see you in the next chapter !-Lacrimeah.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

207 13 11
Sometimes the best knight is a damsel. In a world where women are seen as weak, defenceless creatures for men to protect and own, one orphan girl wan...
4.2K 1.8K 51
Cover by: @Caitlyn-Blayne "After the great war, King Archeron, who was not yet a king, was the obvious choice to be the monarch of Avenlea. He poss...
14.5K 552 30
'Come to me Avalon... Come back to where you belong...' I awoke with a jolt, panting and sweating all over. Avalon seems like an ordinary girl but un...
39K 1.2K 38
[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belonging. Laws are punishable by death, magic...