Sweet Spot

By TheFeveredBookaholic

Sierra Lancaster has had an agonizingly mediocre life. She grew up in a happy home, made loyal friends, gradu... More

Dedication
Playlist
Chapter 1 | Satan Is Back
Chapter 2 | Fake Boyfriend
Chapter 3 | Sierra's Sweets
Chapter 4 | Sir Whiskers 2.0
Chapter 5 | Minnesota's Golden Boy
Chapter 6 | Eat My Cupcake
Chapter 7 | The Deal
Chapter 8 | SF Player Management
Chapter 9 | New Friendships
Chapter 11 | The Gala: Part One
Chapter 12 | The Gala: Part Two
Chapter 13 | Drunk Sierra
Chapter 14 | Fool Me Twice
Chapter 15 | Fabulous Tatas
Chapter 16 | Shortcake
Chapter 17 | Golden Holden
Chapter 18 | Wet
Chapter 19 | Full House
Chapter 20 | Scars
Chapter 21 | Sweet Spot
Chapter 22 | You Taste Good
Chapter 23 | F@#! You, Dudes
Chapter 24 | I Need You
Chapter 25 | Red Carpet: Part One
Chapter 26 | Red Carpet: Part Two
Chapter 27 | Past Is Back
Chapter 28 | Let Go
Chapter 29 | Heartbreak
Chapter 30 | One Month
Chapter 31 | No More Hiding
Chapter 32 | Skeletons
Chapter 33 | Rey Enterprises
Epilogue | Birthday Girl
Author's Note
SOFT SPOT - SEQUEL COVER
SOFT SPOT - SYNOPSIS REVEAL
SOFT SPOT - EXCERPT

Chapter 10 | Bully Me No More

148K 7.4K 7.8K
By TheFeveredBookaholic

"Hey, Ben," I greet the doorman of SF Player Management with a smile. He opens the door to the front lobby for me and tips his head with a grin of his own. He's got to be at least twenty years older than me but we like to act flirtatious for fun. It's something we just grew into in the past two weeks I'be been coming here.

After Holden hired me, I've practically lived in this building. I meet with the events team here everyday after my shift where we spend an hour a day planning how I'm going to cater dessert for their charity gala. The event is raising money for the Coral Restoration Foundation, an organization that saves endangered coral species. Since the charity is marine-based, that's the theme they decided to centre the gala on. Which means all of my desserts need to be ocean-themed as well and we've been brainstorming as best as we can. The final order is going to be a crap ton, and holy cracker do I have my work cut out for me, but I'm buzzing with excitement the closer we get to the gala because I finally get to do what I set to do—bake the hell out of San Francisco.

I pass Doris, the receptionist who still thinks I'm a ditz, and I grin exceptionally wide at her. She winces when she sees me, eyes glancing over my outfit with a crinkled nose. Today it's a mint green floral dress with a halter top that's barely containing my girls. I initially wore a cardigan over it on my drive here but it's so damn hot I abandoned it altogether. I'm pretty sure Doris has me labelled as a whore but I can't help having big boobs. The thing about a sizeable chest is your outfits look slutty no matter how sensible they are. It's not like that's my fault so I just own it now.

I go up the elevators, this time without a visitor's pass because Holden has me written down as a temporary member on his team, and wait as it goes up to the seventh floor. That's the events floor where I've been spending all my time. Since I'm two levels above Holden, who barely comes out of his office, I've probably seen him once in passing the past two weeks. I've kept my distance and remained professional like he asked me to. See? I can be an adult.

"Great timing," Mara, head of events coordinator, calls out by way of greeting and waves me over. "It's ready. The designs, the tiers, everything. All that's left is for you to bring it to life."

I shuffle over in excitement and my jaw drops when I get a good look at the screen in front of her. It's absolutely incredible. The cupcakes and cakes will be iced in a beautiful baby blue, various fondant sea animals covering them, and the tiers they're going to provide me have been laced with faux seaweed for an oceanic look. In total I'm going to have make three cakes and seventy-five cupcakes that have to look as amazing as the digital version in front of me but...I am so ready for this.

"This is so cool." I bump her shoulder with mine. "I've never made an order this big before."

"Mr. Rey compiled a team for you. All together there will be ten bakers, yourself included, so it should get the job done."

"He did? Wow, okay, that helps."

"I also took the liberty of making this." She pulls up another tab and it's the Sierra's Sweets logo, but an oceanic version. The 's' at the very end has been converted into a mermaid, there's seaweed hanging of the 't', and the whole thing looks like it's swimming on waves. I gasp.

"What is this?"

"It's the banner we're going to hang behind your table. It'll be great marketing so people know exactly who made the delicious sweets they'll be gobbling down all night."

I blink at Mara, hand going to my chest. "You didn't have to do that."

"Of course I did," She grins. "You deserve it. You've helped so much these past couple of weeks and we all know you should be getting way more recognition than you do. It only took an hour of my time."

"Thank you so much." I throw my arms around her in a hug that she immediately returns. When I pull away I look around at the rest of the team, all of whom are smiling fondly at me. "I can't believe this is the last meeting. I'm really going to miss you guys. Oh! Which reminds me."

I hold up the box in my hand and open it up, presenting a line of homemade chocolate chip cookies that have been frosted to read THANK YOU BITCHES. A round of cheers ring out and everyone grabs one, helping themselves.

I made a point to bring them treats every week since they're doing me such a huge favour. The extra use of ingredients has put a little damper on my savings and I should probably watch how much I'm spending but I've been worrying about money for two months. I just want to stop worrying for a second, and now I have the payment from catering to fall back on for a while. I'm still not getting many customers but for once I want to stop worrying about that too. I'll deal with it all when I have to. Not the smartest type of adulting but maybe this is why adults are always miserable. I'm tired of always being miserable.

The rest of the hour whizzes by. Since we're more or less done planning everything I need, we goof off instead. Just sharing stories and cracking up. It's something I missed having these past two months in San Francisco where I've been so alone. I can be socially awkward but I enjoy good company and these people are so, totally it. Holden doesn't realize how lucky he is to have such awesome people working for him. Instead he stays holed up in his office like the workaholic he is and refuses to have any fun. I mean, I guess this company is number one in state because Holden runs a tight ship as one of the partners, but he should really loosen up some.

And speak of the devil, a sudden hush falls over the room when I hear the door open behind me. Based on the reaction of everyone in here, I'm guessing it's Holden. The box of cookies is taken away, chairs are straightened out, and laptops are opened back up. I glance behind me and my eyes lock with Holden's, who looks p-i-s-s-e-d pissed. He glowers at the way I have my legs kicked up on the round table and don't bother setting them down like everyone else.

"Did we schedule some kind of party that I'm not aware of?" He demands. His voice is low and controlled and everyone's eyes go downcast with guilt and fear. Even I can't deny the way the hair at the back of my neck stands up. "I could hear you all the way down in my office. You are still on the job so either get your work done or pack your shit and leave. What's it going to be?"

Wow. Harsh, much? I'll admit, we got a little too rowdy there and should probably get back to work, but he didn't have to say it like that. He notices the way I'm frowning at him and I think that makes him angrier because his glower deepens.

"Sierra, your final meeting was today. What are you still doing here?"

My mouth parts. Seriously? What the hell is he being so rude for? I gesture at the room. "I was just talking to them—"

"This is a workplace; not a social gathering. Talk to them on your own time but not while they're on the job and working for me. You're obviously done here so pack up and get going."

Mother. Fucker. My lips pinch with incredulity but his face doesn't budge an inch. Before I know it the both of us are glaring at each in a silent-standoff and every pair of eyes is on us, watching curiously. Holden's jaw pulses. My nostrils flare. His hand on the doorknob tightens. My fingers curl into my palms. Then his dark eyes narrow and the warning in them is so clear, I wouldn't put it past him to kick me out if he wanted.

"Fine," I bite out. I get to my feet and gather my things, forcing myself to smile apologetically at Mara and the crew. They smile back, but hesitantly because their boss is still watching. I hate that they're all suddenly wearing grim expressions when they were laughing and smiling moments ago. Before I can think things through, the words tumble out me. "Sorry, guys. I guess Satan really takes no days off, huh?"

The air is sucked out of the room by shocked gasps and gaping expressions. I've been nothing but professional my whole time here, a total stranger to Holden. This is the first time I've addressed him the way I did and in front of his employees no less. The thing is I'm too hurt to care.

I spin on my heel then and if I thought Holden was pissed before, it's nothing compared to now. He looks like he's trying to shoot me with laser eyes. Whatever. I square my shoulders back and walk past him without sparing him a glance. Not even when he grabs me by the inside of my elbow before I can pass him. I keep my gaze straight ahead and unblinking.

"You and I are going to talk when I'm done here," He says low enough for only me to hear. Commands, is more like it.

I yank my arm away and keep my voice just as low, finally meeting his eyes. They're so darkened with anger they almost look black. I swallow hard. "Tough shit. You may be my boss here but that's as much as you get to order me around. Go screw yourself, Holden."

And then I walk away, feeling oddly proud of myself for finally standing up to him.

I'm face-first in a bowl of noodles when there's a loud knock on my door. Immediately I know who it is because I was expecting him to show up. The thing about Holden is when he says he'll do something, nothing stops him from doing it.

That's why I can't ignore him, especially because the knocking is getting louder and more incessant. I push my bowl away and go to my door, opening it up. Holden stands in the hallway with crossed arms and an ever-present frown. His eyes drop and that's when I realize I'm still wearing my outfit from hours ago. It's nearly midnight but I've been too busy sulking to change.

"What?" I get straight to the point.

He invites himself in, pushing his large body through the door and forcing me to step back. He closes the door behind him and suddenly I feel like we're trapped together even though we're in an apartment with plenty of space. I take another step back.

"You were out of line today," He snaps and closes whatever distance I just put between us. What the cheese is he doing! I keep moving back but what difference does it make if he just continues stalking forward? "I told you to be professional. What did I get instead? You distracting my employees and then disrespecting me in front of them. You're fucking pushing me, Sierra."

"I'm not doing anything!" I defend, my back hitting the counter. Crap on a cracker. I force myself to stand tall since I can't move away anymore. "How the hell was I distracting them? We finished early, Holden, and you know why? Because they're busting their asses to make this gala a success. They know what a big deal it is to you and they've been at it for weeks. We're ahead of schedule for fuck's sake! So we kicked back a little because guess what? They deserved it. It's about time you acknowledged that instead of giving them shit all the time!"

"Don't tell me how to do my job," He tosses back, setting his hands on the counter on either side of me. My head is tipped back to look at him and I hate that the way he towers over me makes me feel less. He always makes me feel less. "I don't give my employees shit unless they need to be put back on track. I'm a good boss."

"But not today, asshole. Today you were just as out of line and it's because you always have a bone to pick with me. I've done nothing but my job, Holden. What the hell is your problem?"

"You," He growls without hesitation and takes me by surprise. Why does his face have to be so close to mine? I can see every crease of his angry features, eyes dark and full mouth turned down. His breath fans my face. "You just...turned the whole fucking company upside down. We had a system. We had order. And then you walked in with your freaking treats and your dresses and your loud as hell laugh that everyone loved and the place just didn't feel like mine anymore. You're goddamn everywhere."

What? I blink at him, at a total loss. That's what he's mad about? That I'm...all up in his space? Contagious? He's acting like I have cooties, for Christ's sake.

"I was just trying to make friends," I snap, pushing at his hard chest because he's way too close and I can't think. Fucking Satan. He's probably trying to distract me on purpose, probably knows that his proximity intimidates the hell out of me. "I don't know anyone here, okay? I moved my entire life to a new state and left behind everyone I know. I miss home all the time. I wish I was still a fifteen minute drive away from Mom and Dad. I wish I could recognize people on the streets when I went on walks so I could wave at them and they wouldn't think I'm weird. But I don't have that here. Not until I met all those people at your company, who are fucking awesome by the way. So I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for interrupting your perfect little life when I was just trying to make mine a little more bearable."

I have no idea where that came from. It was like word vomit and I couldn't help it. Now I'm breathing hard and—oh fuck me, fuck me, fuck me—trying not to cry. What is wrong with me? I quickly look away before I make an idiot out of myself.

"Sierra." This time when Holden says my name, it holds resignation and...what...regret? Can't be. But whatever it is I've never heard it from him before and I don't like the way it makes the inside of my stomach do a cartwheel. Yeah. No. Fuck that.

"Go." I rub a hand over my forehead. "Seriously, just go. The gala is in two weeks and I don't have to meet with your team anymore so I'm out of your hair okay? By the end of the month I won't be a problem anymore."

"That's not what—"

"Go, dude." I point to the door. "I've had a shit day and I'd like to go to sleep."

He doesn't leave right away. Instead he remains where he is and watches me while I look at my apartment like I've never seen it before. Hmm. Great painting. I bought it for an ungodly price and passed a boutique not two minutes later that had the same one for half price. Awesome lamp. I used it to kill a spider yesterday. Fantastic snow globe. Wait. Where the hell did that come from? I've never seen that snow globe in my life.

I'm squinting at the snow globe so hard I almost miss when Holden stands tall again and finally heads for the door. He brushes past me, suited chest grazing my bare arm and making it warm with his body heat. He might be on to something about the cooties because I immediately hold my arm close to me and resist the urge to chop it off.

When the door closes behind him and I hear his apartment door close too, only then do I breathe a sigh of relief and slump against the counter. I rub the spot on my arm that Holden touched and scowl, wondering why the hell he has to affect me so much and if it will ever stop. God, I hope it does.

_________________________

A/N

Ouuu we love an angsty argument between the MC's! As you guys can tell, despite this book being on the humorous side it still has that angst and asshole male lead that I give all my books. I just couldn't resist!

Please VOTE, comment and share if you liked this chapter!

Happy Reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.6K 3.3K 38
Book #5 of the "Falling" book series Warning: Mature (18+) Content! #50 in Romance 2024 #69 in Enemies 2024 #83 in Rivals 2023 #17 in Graphic 2023 #1...
231K 8.5K 86
"I didn't fall for you, you fucking tripped me over." Tara thought her life turned crazy when her best friend's cousin showed up to town. The tall, s...
2.5K 97 26
A parody... except it slowly gets less satirical as I get way too attached to the characters and turn the story into a shipping-fest ~~~~ "Why are yo...
300K 6K 48
COMPLETED MADDY HAYES has never been the type of girl who listens to what other people have to say. She's mean, confident, and very, very intimidatin...