Once Brothers (Songs of War F...

Af BlueAngel2571

(!!!THIS STORY IS UNDER A MAJOR REWRITE!!!) In the frigid mountains of Northwind, The Walls of Time were crea... Mere

Introduction
Charater Sheet
Prologue
Chapter 1: Death's Road
Chapter 2: Welcome Home (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 3: Once Again (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 4: Past and Traps (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 5: Death Knocks On My Door (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 7: Lost and Found (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 8: I Was Lost But Now I'm Found? (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 9: Something Old, Something New (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 10: Day Off (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 11: Tip of the Spear (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 12: Row Your Boat (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 13: A Helping Hand (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 14: Second Chance (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 15: Reminiscence (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 16: A Lesson of Sticks and Stones (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 17: Dark and Stormy Night (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 18: Mischief and Mayhem (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 19: Fleeting Escape (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 20: Reckoning (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)
Chapter 21: Talk of Masters (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

Chapter 6: The Fight Goes On (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

1K 18 73
Af BlueAngel2571

(Would suggest listening to Sendaria Burning by AfterInfinity)

(Ingressus' POV)

Ingressus was inside the medical cave, sword in hand as he faced the only way in. He was still mad that Titus had dragged him here. He wanted to be with his father and brother! But, once Ingressus had entered the room against his will, he noticed the many ill and injured Voltaris. No sooner had he seen his fellow clanmates in their condition, Ingressus felt selfish that he had wanted to experience the thrill of battle, fighting out there, when there were Voltaris here inside the camp who needed protecting. Some of them were warriors and hunters themselves, but they didn't have the luck that Blazien and himself had gotten the day before with the wolves... Many of the sick were trying to quiet their coughing. Those who had been resting were woken up immediately. They all needed to be alert... Even if he couldn't fight in the battle, Ingressus would make sure no one got through.

He watched the entrance in the shadows, all the fires and torches had been put out, leaving the entire cave in a blinding darkness. The only light in the medical cave was the faint glow of blood-red markings illuminated by beating hearts. Ember and Titus stood off to the side, their Clan's healer doing her best to help cover up and hide the Voltaris under animal skins.

Everything was quiet at first. Ingressus could hear haunting whispers of wind blowing down into the cave, and the gentle dripping of water from the stalagmites. Could the scout have been wrong? Maybe he was just in shock after being attacked by an animal? Ingressus had seen Voltaris who had gone crazy when they were near the jaws of death. Was this just a similar circumstance?

Ingressus jumped, his grip tightening on his sword when he heard the sounds of rumbling explosions echoing down into the cave below. Had the fight already come?! Ember and Titus heard the sounds of battle as well, grabbing their weapons, they walk over and stand beside Ingressus. Titus wielded an ax, while Ember carried two small blades. Ingressus wondered if Ember knew how to fight, he had only ever seen her use needles to help stitch wounds. Or sometimes used a heated knife to cauterize a deep wound.

Ingressus turned his attention back to the entrance, hearing tapping sounds... footsteps. Lots of footsteps thundering down into the cave... All the Voltaris in the small room tensed as they waited, welcoming the comfort of silence. Orange-yellow lights danced across the walls of the outer cave, outlining the shadows of their carriers as their voices echoed through the cave.

"Search every part of the perimeter and the tunnels. We have to make sure all are defeated!" a deep voice rumbled.

Ingressus felt nervous, it was only a matter of time before they would be discovered. Ember quietly walked forward, going up to the doorway, standing right beside the entrance, not moving. Looking back, she motioned her hand towards Ingressus, sending him a silent command: Come here. He walked forward, going to the opposite side of the small entrance. Ember seemed to be on the same thought process, knowing they would be discovered soon as well.

Both were quiet as they stood like silent sentries, only a few moments passed before they both heard footsteps coming closer to the entrance. Ember gave Ingressus a single nod, lightly tapping the edge of one of her blades against her right leg. Ingressus understood the plan. The footsteps got louder until their maker made himself be seen as an ardoni with purple markings walked through the doorway. Ingressus quickly kicks the stranger's right leg and unbalances him, bringing the ardoni to one knee. While Ember quickly stabbed her knife through the back of his neck, his purple markings go dark. Titus dragged the warrior's body into the room so it would not be easily spotted.

Ember gave Ingressus a comforting smile, seeing the look of surprise plastered on his face at having aided in the death of another. She looked towards the back of the room. He followed her gaze, where a few Voltaris remained hidden, as he thought about what Blazien had told him before. "Life is not something to take carelessly."

Then Ingressus understood his healer's silent plea. It had to be done, without hesitation. These ardoni were a danger to them, a threat. These warriors had journeyed through the mountains to their home, with the intent of leaving no Voltaris left alive. It was only fair... that the Voltaris Clan showed them the proper welcome of hard cold steel. Pushing his guilt aside, Ingressus readied for the next unlucky ardoni to walk in the room.

As another ardoni walks in, Ember quickly puts him in a chokehold, the warrior struggles to get out of her grip. Taking her knife, she swiftly stabs him in the neck, making his lights go dark and his body limp. Ingressus was surprised at seeing Ember being violent, normally, he saw her as only their healer. But then again, all Voltaris knew how to fight. It was customary. A part of their daily lives.

Ember lowered the body to the ground, right as yet another ardoni walks into the room.

"Deis are you-"

Ingressus quickly kicks the warrior's knee. But it doesn't drop him. The ardoni merely grunts, then his eyes widened when he sees the Voltaris that stood before him. Ember quickly killed him with a swift thrust of her blade. But the warrior drops his weapon, his sword clattering against the stone floor... Ember's eyes widened. The cave went silent on the other side of the wall... Ingressus knew those sounds could not have gone unheard...

Like a moment frozen in time, a bright flash of light goes through the entrance. Ingressus recognized the song's light before it exploded, having impacted the back of the room. The walls crumbled from the force of the blast, causing Ingressus and everyone else, to go flying into the next cave.

(Would suggest listening to Epic Dark Battle Music- by Rok Nardin)

Ingressus landed hard on the ground, breathing deeply through the ringing in his ears. He slowly sits up, and noticed the small bits of rock embedded on the surface of his skin... he grunted in pain as he brushed them off. Ingressus heard the calling of a song being used before a green aura erupted light above all of them. Brightening the cave immensely in a greenish-hue, unveiling the many Voltaris, and ardoni warriors...

Even though the cave was still dark, Ember and Titus run-up, and begin viciously attacking the warriors. The screeching of metal and flash of sparks resounded, as their weapons met their enemies in fierce combat, while their cries of battle echoed through the cave. Ingressus crawled along the ground, grabbing his sword that had been thrown from his grasp, before shakily standing. He prepared to fight... but a feeling of dread crept through him when he noticed all of the ardoni were much larger than him... Wolves were one thing... trained ardoni adults were another...

Ingressus ran over to the other side of the cave, where a few of the injured lay, and stood strongly to protect them. He watched Ember fight with her knives. Wielding them with such speed, that she reminded Ingressus of the fierce snow leopards that prowled the mountains, who would protect their young from any and all danger.

While Titus battled away with an ax. He blocked a high strike, before swinging his weapon down, connecting the bit of his ax with his opponent's side. Stepping back, he blocked another warrior's attack, as he sent his ax into his enemy's shoulder, before pulling the sharpened end out. Titus spins while ducking under the warrior's arm, swinging his ax behind him, sending the pointed heel of the ax into the warrior's spine.

Ingressus couldn't even count how many warriors there were! Were the Voltaris really so hated, that the Masters would send so many? A warrior with purple markings approached Ingressus, with a large sword in hand. Ingressus swings his weapon, causing the ardoni to take a step back. But the warrior gazed at Ingressus like he was some bothersome pest, wasting his time.

As the lethal shadows danced over the walls and floor of the stone cave, a gasp of pain echoed through the room. The warrior turns around, Ingressus faced the noise as well, only to see Ember on her knees a few yards away, blood seeping from a wound on her chest. The ardoni that stood above her, swung his sword down in a single motion and kills her.

This action causes Titus to become enraged, he continues fighting, striking warrior after warrior, opponent after opponent. Trying to take as many ardoni down as he could.

Ingressus returned his attention to the warrior in front of him. The Mendoris turned and walks towards him. Ingressus swings his sword once the ardoni was within striking distance and hits the warrior's side. But the brute barely reacts to the cut, and kicks Ingressus, making him stumble back until his body hit the ground. Ingressus looked up as the warrior raised his weapon, ready to strike an injured Voltaris on the ground.

"No!" Ingressus said, willing himself to get up... but he is too late. The warrior brings his sword down, ending the life of the one beneath him. The warrior turned to face Ingressus as the young one hefted himself to his feet. The warrior flicked the blood off his sword, and runs towards Ingressus, raising his weapon high above his head. Ingressus prepared himself to try and block the warrior's massive weapon. Even though his sword would probably shatter...

Then the warrior stopped unexpectedly, his markings going dark as he fell to the floor, arrows protruding from his back. Ingressus looked up, spotting familiar markings as Blazien ran into the cave. With his bow in hand, he fires three arrows at once, which all meet their targets.

Having more confidence having his older brother by his side again, Ingressus ran up beside him and prepared to fight.

Meanwhile, Titus was taking on two ardoni at once, until one gets lucky enough to wound him. The other warrior quickly swings his sword and kills the elder Voltaris. Soon Ingressus and Blazien are the only Voltaris alive in the cave...

But the brothers continued to fight. They looked around in time to see a Sendaris run towards them with a spear, wielding it with ease. Blazien and Ingressus work together to try to take the Sendaris down. However, with each attack they tried, the Sendaris gained an upper hand. His years of experience in hunting Voltaris must have been how he could fight so smoothly.

Blazien ran forward, ready to swing his bow down on the warrior. But before he could bring his attack down, the Sendaris kicks him in the stomach. Causing Blazien to be pushed back, leaning over as he tried to coax air back into his lungs.

Ingressus quickly ran up behind Blazien and jumps on his back, leaping towards the Sendaris, being momentarily level-headed with him. Ingressus prepared to swing his sword, but the Sendaris moved quicker. Pain laced up Ingressus' left thigh when the blade deeply parted his skin. He fell to the ground, crying out in pain through clenched teeth, holding his leg tightly as seething pain spread through it, his own blood covering his hand. Ingressus watched helplessly while the Sendaris ran towards him... intending to finish him.

No sooner had he raised his weapon, a loud sound reverberated behind the warrior. The ardoni turned around to see a song charging at him, and a Voltaris whose markings glowed dangerously bright.

"RRAHH!" Blazien yelled as he sprinted forward. The warrior dodged the song, a look of surprise crossed over his features. Blazien sends an arrow towards the Sendaris who quickly ducks, giving Blazien just enough time to run at him. Blazien swung his bow with speed.

Over, right, left, down. But with each swing of the bow, the Sendaris evades, blocking the strikes and throwing his own counter move. He sends a powerful kick that knocks Blazien aside. But the Voltaris hunter regained his balance immediately, using the force of the kick's momentum to roll back onto his feet.

Blazien takes an arrow from his quiver and draws his bow's string back, just as the Sendaris brought his arm above his shoulder. As Blazien released his arrow, the Sendaris throws his spear, and both meet their targets... Ingressus looked up, seeing the Sendaris fall over, only to get a clearer view of the spear protruding through his brother's chest...

"BLAZIEN!"

(Would suggest listening to WHO WILL REMEMBER ME by Twelve Titans Music)

Blazien let his bow fall from his grasp, the sound of the wooden weapon making a single smack sound out through the cave as it landed on the stone floor. As the young hunter struggled to breathe, his legs gave out, causing him to fall backwards. His chest rising and falling quickly as he fought for breath. Ingressus' face was frozen in horror. Blazien gasped a few more times, then sighed as his red markings went dark... releasing a final breath as an aggressium song appeared beside him...

All the sounds around Ingressus completely mute out as other warriors slowly walked towards him, intending to finish him.

"NO!" Ingressus exclaimed, he crawled the best he could towards his brother, without using his left leg. Ignoring the agony of his wound, Ingressus dragged himself along the ground until he reached his sibling's body. Having tears streaming down his face, Ingressus hugs his older brother, while also trying to shake him awake. "No Blazien... please... no. Don't leave me..."

The warriors closed the distance between them. Soon an ardoni stood above Ingressus, raising his sword in hand. He brought his weapon down, ready to end the young Voltaris' life... But his sword hit the glowing wall of a protissium shield inches away from Ingressus instead. All the warriors turned to see the Master of the Voltaris Clan.

In anger, the Master ran forward, attacking the remaining ardoni with fury. During the fight, one warrior got a lucky strike, cutting the Master's forehead. But Dominus doesn't seem to react to it as he swiftly swung his sword down, taking the life of the last warrior.

"Ingressus!" Master Dominus said, running down to the center of the cave to the young Voltaris. He paused, his eyes widening in the shock of any parent, as he gazed upon Blazien's body. Ingressus sniffled through his tears while his father kneeled beside him. A dreadful silence settled around them.

The Master looked around the cave to all the other bodies of Voltaris who had hidden... all dead... He turned his gaze back to Blazien's lightless eyes. Slowly reaching a trembling hand forward, Dominus closed his oldest son's eyes, knowing he would never open them again himself...

Ingressus grunted in pain, while his wound pooled blood on the ground. Then the dreadful sound came again... Master Dominus knew they would find him eventually... Footsteps were heard from the front entrance of the cave. They were coming...

The Master looked down at Blazien's face once more, before turning his gaze to Ingressus. Master Dominus felt the weight of his failure. He had done all he could to keep his youngest son away from this faultless war... but to no avail. He knew they had lost this fight... Then his face hardened with a determined look as he glanced over at the young Voltaris who still had a chance...

If I shall die, then my son must not follow... the Master thought.

He picked Ingressus up, being mindful of his wound, and carries him. Running through the network of the cave, he takes a familiar turn that would lead out the back way.

Through his vision blurred by tears, Ingressus looked behind them, seeing Ember and all the bodies of the others who had been hiding... his gaze finally resting on Blazien... He could also see the other Clan warriors pursuing them through the front cave entrance. A Sendaris with a large diamond sword ran ahead of the group.

Master Dominus continued running, carrying Ingressus through the narrow tunnels until they exit the cave. The morning ball of fire rising in the distance of the blood-red sky as gentle snowflakes fell like ashes around them. Ingressus could see the deep blue ocean stretching out as far as the eye could see. It seemed nature continued her normal course, giving them a beautiful morning on the day of their tragedy...

Master Dominus ran over towards where a split in the mountain just big enough for Ingressus to fit through is, and sets him down into it.

The chilling wind filled the silence. The seconds were ticking away... The Master knelt down beside his son, wrapping his arms around him as he hugged Ingressus in a warm embrace. This would be their last time together... The last time Dominus would hold his son safely in his arms... The elder's breathing slightly shaking as he tried hard to hold back tears, trying to contain his own emotions... Dominus knew his own sealed fate was unavoidable... But it wasn't himself that he was concerned about.

Whatever happened after this next fight, Dominus knew he wouldn't be able to protect Ingressus... Even if he had tried to run with his son, the Champion would only have pursued them, and if the warriors didn't kill them first, the mountains would have its share in their deaths. He had made a promise to his son years ago... that one day: Ingressus would leave the mountains. And now, Dominus would have to trust in their ancestors that they would light his son's path to safety.

Standing back up, he draws Voltar off his back and holds it out to Ingressus. Ingressus' eyes widened as he looked up, tears still going down his cheeks as he replayed his brother's final moments in his head. Master Dominus spoke with urgency, hearing echoing voices from the cave tunnel getting closer. It was almost time...

"Take Voltar, and after they are gone, run!" Master Dominus said firmly. "With this, you are now master of the Voltaris Clan."

Master Dominus handed the staff to Ingressus. Once Ingressus took it, he could feel a blazing headache, feeling like his brain was on fire as countless memories flooded his mind. Flashing battles, the calling of the innocent, the feeling of joy when initiating and welcoming a new member into the Clan, the loving and protective feeling of holding a newborn child; and the dedication and wisdom all Masters held over their people. Ingressus breathed heavily, not sure if his mind could stand against the onslaught, as he struggled to maintain the feeling of his brain being overwhelmed. After the memories had subsided, Ingressus looked at his father in an understanding way. Only now, could he really see...

Dominus pushed him further into the crevice to hide him. But part of Ingressus wanted him to stay, never wanting to leave his father... He grunted in pain from his bleeding leg while he moved further into the shadows.

Ingressus looked down at the staff in his hands, before looking up at his father. Dominus's mouth curved into a small smile as he looked at his son's face. Glad that he had the knowledge in knowing the legacy of the Clan would continue to be passed on. Dominus unsheathed his sword, then turns around and runs off to where the tunnel entrance is. Ingressus watched the fight through the hole. The Champion had followed them, along with three other ardoni.

Dominus slowly walked towards the Champion, his flaming sword reflecting the light of the sun. The sound of metal against steel told Ingressus enough, that both had started dueling. Ingressus was hopeful Dominus would win, he was a skilled fighter, and had taught Ingressus everything he knew. The Champion and his father seemed to be locked in a dance to the death. Both matched in their skills of swordsmanship.

But, as both former Master and Champion fought, the other three ardoni circled around the two.

Soon the battle became four against one. As Dominus struck a Mendoris in the leg, the Champion swung his sword, cutting Dominus' shoulder. Dominus countered this with another swing of his own that was quickly evaded by the Sendaris. All three ardoni and the Champion cornered Dominus near the cliffside. One of the warriors who carried a bow fires an arrow at the trapped Voltaris. Nearly a second later, the arrow parted ways as it was sliced in half by Dominus' sword.

The Champion ran forward, preparing to swing his sword down on Dominus' head, but the Voltaris raised his sword, blocking the oncoming attack. The bow-wielding Mendoris fired another arrow at the Voltaris while he held the Champion's blade at bay above his head. The warrior watched the arrow whistle through the air, impaling Dominus in the side of his stomach.

Ingressus gasped as he held in a breath, this wasn't a fair fight at all... His body shook from his panicked breathing from the shock of knowing full well what would happen next...

Dominus grunted in pain before parrying the Champion's sword downward, swinging his weapon again. Only for the Champion to block the strike, maneuver his weapon, and stab Dominus through his chest a second later...

A pained gasp was faintly heard through the silent clearing. Dominus' eyes widened as he dropped his sword, the heated diamond blade sizzling once it landed in the snow. He stood still while gasping for air, gazing at the rising sun, taking in the beauty of the moment as it casted a warming light on him through the snowflakes. He exhaled, his markings going dark while the Champion pulled his sword back, taking a step back once Dominus' body fell to the ground, lifeless...

Ingressus felt a waterfall of tears going down his face. He began to quietly sob, his breaths coming in shaking hiccups while he tried to remain quiet. No... there was no way this was happening...

This isn't real... T-T-This isn't real... Ingressus thought.

The Champion and the other warriors turned their heads, hearing noises in the distance.

Ingressus held his breath... had they heard him? Soon, other sounds and cries of battle rang out from the cave. The Champion and his warriors jogged away through the cave entrance, making their way towards the sounds.

Ingressus remained hidden, listening closely to make sure they were really leaving, then let out his breath once he felt light-headed from holding it too long. After minutes of waiting, he peaked out of the hole. The Champion and the other warriors were now gone.

(Would suggest listening to This Quiet Violence by David Chappell)

Ingressus struggled out of the hole, his blood smearing the stone underneath him. Once he reached the opening, he placed his feet on the ground and tries to stand. But his weakened legs failed to support him. Instead, he fell to his knees in the snow, gasping in pain.

Shadows crept at the edges of his vision as pain threatened to make him lose consciousness. Ingressus used the Voltar staff, leaning heavily against it, grunting from his exhausting efforts while he struggled to his feet. One painful step at a time, Ingressus limped over to his father's body, falling to his knees once he had reached him...

Reaching a shaking hand forward, Ingressus takes his father's hand and squeezes it, finding that it still held warmth... His emotions could be contained no longer... Ingressus began to sob as he gazed at the massive wound on his father's chest... and tears fall from his face even more. Leaning forward, Ingressus hugged Dominus... being the carrier of his father's memories now, Ingressus knew Dominus better than he ever had before.

"You were right... you were right about everything... we had every reason to be alert. I will miss you... f-father."

Time seemed to stretch on while Ingressus mourned the death of his family... First Blazien... now his father as well as his Master. Ingressus gazed at the blood-red sky as the glowing sun showed the different shades of red in the clouds... Almost like their ancestors had painted the sky with the colored markings of their people who now rested in the heavens.

Ingressus glanced down at Dominus, reaching his hand forward, he closes the elder's lightless eyes. "May your lights join the northern skies father..." Ingressus whispered sorrowfully.

Looking over, Ingressus sees Dominus' sword in the snow. He limps over to it, gripping the hilt, trying to pick it up. Only to find the weapon as heavy as Voltar, the point of the blade touching the ground. Ingressus grunted in pain while blood flowed down his leg, both the staff and the sword were weighing him down, making the cut in his leg hurt more.

The sound of a stick snapping breaks the serene silence. Ingressus gasped as he turned around, spotting the Champion a few yards in front of him, staring at him through narrowed eyes. Ingressus heard distant voices coming from the cave as more ardoni warriors run outside and speak to the Champion.

"Thalleous, there are more that retreated into the woods, the patrol is pursuing them, but if we don't go now they'll getaway," a Kaltaris reported.

So that was the name of his father's murderer: Thalleous Sendaris.

Ingressus felt a twinge of fear when Thalleous pointed his sword at him, his blue markings glowing brighter while he charged the power of his song through his weapon.

Red energy spurred from the point of the sword as an aggressium song was fired by the Champion. Ingressus stumbled when he backed up, dragging the sword and Voltar along the ground, both weapons being too heavy for him to lift, as he tried to limp out of the range of the song.

The song struck the ground by his feet. The stone and rock breaking from the impact. Moments later, the ground crumbled out from under Ingressus, causing him to fall down the cliff... For a time he is falling... As he fell, Ingressus tightly held onto Voltar and the sword, not wanting to lose them.

He readied himself for what was to come. Seconds passed in his mind, and soon, his body hit the icy cold water, the force knocking the wind out of him. The water numbing his whole body almost immediately. Like a thousand chilling thorns piercing his skin. The force of the current dragged him down the river, away from his home.

Ingressus struggled to stay afloat, with only one good leg to stride the water with, and the sword and Voltar weighing him down like an anvil. He swallowed mouthfuls of the salty water while the river continued to carry him out towards the ocean.

It was so cold... it was only a matter of time before his muscles gave out entirely... and he would drown and join Dominus, Blazien, and all the other Voltaris of his group who had lost their lives this fateful morning.

While the current forcefully dragged him out to sea, Ingressus held a death grip on Voltar and his father's sword. Determined to hold on to, and die, with the last pieces of home he had...

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

762 60 8
"Daring mission or deadly mistake?" - - - - - - - - - - - - - Achillean may not know who shot him three months ago, but what he does know is the city...
1.5K 143 40
Through thick and thin the Law shall prevail. A new sense of purpose awaits us, children of light, in the land where it all began. The darkness in wh...
1.3K 16 37
The Ardoni Legacy is a fan franchise of 'Songs of War' by Black Plasma Studios (well, now 'Squared Media') This story is about a young girl named 'Li...
3K 128 16
THIS IS ONLY PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD!!! FUCK YOU TEENFIC!!! He was supposed to be dead. He saw it. He saw him die. How was he here? How was he alive an...