Engagement [Book 3: SEKTOR V...

By SEKTORV

In the epic culmination of the SEKTOR V Saga, the final vestiges of Humanity are scattered across the far rea... More

Engagement Trailer Blurb...
Chapter 1: Early Re-Entry
Chapter 2: In Through the Out Door
Chapter 3: Six Hours...?
Chapter 4: Or Thirteen Days...?
Chapter 5: The Colonist's Rigel
Chapter 6: Triugha's Rigel
Chapter 7: Trader's Rigel
Chapter 8: Gus Arrives...
Chapter 9: Traitor Traders
Chapter 10: 30 Pieces of Silver
Chapter 11: Duly Rewarded
Chapter 12: Sending a Message
Chapter 13: Message Received
Chapter 14: Bridging the Silent Gap
Chapter 15: Extraction
Chapter 16: Kinda Remarkable
Chapter 18: Bio-Infiltration - Part 1
Chapter 19: Dead Still
Chapter 20: Hybrid Extraction
Chapter 21: Rise of the Hybrids
Chapter 22: Infiltrating Zeta Reticulon
Chapter 23: Our Time is Now
Chapter 24: Faith
Chapter 25: Diversionary Tactics
Chapter 26: Elite Execution
Chapter 27: Strike Force
Chapter 28: A Council of New Beginnings
Chapter 29: Terra Gala
Chapter 30: Designated Successor

Chapter 17: Balls in the Air

59 15 10
By SEKTORV

Chapter 17: Balls in the air

The 246-mile journey from what used to be upstate New York to a secure position just outside the DC Zeta compound had taken longer than Resistance leadership had expected. General Asoban's optimistic 5-day prediction had managed to morph into an 8 and ½ day ordeal. Worse still, the Human cost just getting there was unacceptable. Twelve of the 110 souls that began the journey were no longer with them. This loss had an undeniably sobering and demoralizing effect on those who did survive. Cairo felt especially powerless since her highly touted skill set was rendered useless against the night-time drone attacks that ultimately accounted for 11 of the 12 deaths they had suffered. Her formidable telepathic and telekinetic abilities proved to be no match against high-powered, highly accurate, and rapidly moving flying AI assassins. While her feelings of guilt weren't rational, Cairo still felt responsible. She knew that without her presence there wouldn't be a mission at all. And by extension, 12 innocent people would still be alive today. She also realized that the mental torture she was inflicting upon herself was nothing more than circular logic. Unfortunately, feelings of guilt and rational thought rarely went hand in hand. And while her innate ability to control the external manifestations of her emotions was second nature to her, she knew that this particular ability would soon be put to the test given that the next phase of the operation would require her full attention at all times. As such, there would be no room whatsoever for mental or emotional weakness. Going forward, the one thing she could control was to do everything in her power to make sure that the lives already lost were not done so in vain.

The eight-plus days to go from post-civilization upstate NY to what used to be suburban DC was only the beginning for their caravan. From a tactical standpoint, she knew that this was a very intricate mission that would require two teams to be in place at different locations. Complicating matters further, both teams would need to remain hidden from Zeta-controlled artificial intelligent aircraft (AIA) at all times. As such, Resistance forces had to set up camp in areas of dense canopy in order to limit visual detection from Zeta air forces. Unfortunately, Cairo knew that natural cover on its own wouldn't be enough given the heat-sensing infrared capabilities associated with the AIA fleet. To counter this capability, they were using heat-shielding "blankets". These flexible IR cloaking devices, which were also used during their recent travels from New York, gave the wearer some sense of security which hopefully translated into additional rest for all camp members. Unfortunately, as was usually the case when it came to resources, demand exceeded supply. Still, Resistance leadership was doing everything they could to maximize their chances for survival over the 24h period they would need to fully complete the multi-stage mission.

The teams that were needed for the operation were set up at specific radial distances from the western boundary of the Zeta DC compound. The first team was established right on the western edge, exactly 1.5 miles from the closest Zeta outpost. This was the ground infiltration team. Terran and ET members who made up this group were very similar to old world Navy SEALs and front line marines. One big difference however was that these 22nd-century seals didn't receive much of the formal intense training and military resources that their 20th and 21st-century counterparts took for granted. Regardless, Cairo knew that this was the best Humanity could do at the moment and it simply had to be enough. What this team lacked technically they more than made up for in raw courage and determination. Many of the 22 Humans, Hybrids, and ETs who were set up at Camp Ground Zero, or simply CGZ, knew that their assigned mission was complex and high risk, especially given their limited numbers and physical resources. Still, at least on paper, their objectives were straightforward:

1. Successfully infiltrate the Zeta compound under the cover of night

2. Install the Rigel bio-weapon at tactically critical locations

3. Set explosive charges at specific sites for future remote detonation

4. Return to CGZ in under 4 hours, undetected, with no casualties or loss of life

The ancient clichés of "easier said than done" and "the devil was in the details" both could not be more true in this particular situation. Complicating matters further, all parties involved would be under intense pressure given the "all or nothing" nature of the mission ahead of them. She knew there would be no second chances and if the group failed to meet all of their mission objectives, the subsequent stages of the operation would simply fall apart. Instantly. Jake Roberts, one of those 22, knew what he had to do and accepted all of these risks without a second thought.

Cairo understood Jake's willingness to volunteer for the mission. He was trained, well, as much as one could be trained on Earth these days. He was also a sharpshooter with the physical strength and agility to get the job done. Logically, Cairo recognized all of these factors. However, if she was going to be completely honest, she also had to accept the fact that she had feelings for Jake, and that even when these emotions were successfully suppressed, a potential risk for distraction remained. She simply had to make sure he came back to her...in one piece. Of course, she wanted everyone from CGZ to come back unharmed, but yes, like it or not, Jake was special to her and she didn't care how that sounded, in her mind, or anyone else's.

"Cairo...are you even listening to me??" asked a visibly frustrated Gus who had been by her side trying, unsuccessfully, to communicate with her for the last two minutes.

"What?" Cairo said, mildly annoyed that Gus had interrupted her internal self-assessment.

Without skipping a beat, she gathered herself and managed to adjust her disposition to fit the situation.

"I'm sorry Mr. Lebanchek. Can you repeat the question?"

Gus looked at her a bit sideways, knowing she had just mentally returned from another place.

"No, its ok Cairo," he patiently replied. "I just wanted to go over a few things with you one more time. General Asoban wants you to you be as focused as possible. I don't have to tell you about his maniacal attention to detail. As you well know we have one-"

She cut him off mid-sentence.

"Shot? Yes, I know. Dozens of people saying it dozens of times makes it a bit difficult to forget", she quipped.

She instantly realized that she let her frustration ebb to the surface again. She adjusted her demeanor a second time.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Lebanchek, It's just that-"

This time Gus jumped in as he put his hand on her shoulder.

"You are under enormous, unreasonable pressure...and really worried about Jake?" He said with an understanding smile.

She returned his smile with her own.

"Look Cairo, you are incredibly strong. No one denies that. But Jesus, you're still a teenager and it's beyond absurd to put all of this on your shoulders. We're in this together. If, no, when, we succeed it will be because we all pushed in the same direction and had each other's back. This mission is a highly coordinated, intricate operation. But if we all do what we are supposed to do we will get through this. You have to believe that. You won't ever be alone, so don't think like that," Gus said with an even bigger smile as he firmly grabbed her other shoulder.

She liked Gus. He had a good heart. And while she knew he was trying to take the pressure off her, she also knew that it was up to her to make this happen or they would end up failing...miserably. Cairo was also sure that Gus knew, deep down, that this was their collective reality. Still, pressure notwithstanding, she was genuinely ready for the challenge ahead of her. What she couldn't get used to however was the incessant waiting to begin. After one more mental run through, which was what Gus had unsuccessfully tried to initiate a few moments earlier, the waiting would finally be over.

"Thanks, Mr. Lebanchek", she said. "That means a lot to me, it really does."

"Great", he replied, "and please...it's Gus."

"Ok, so let's run through this one more time. I want the general off my back just as much as you do."

And with that, Gus started going through the plan, which was intricate, highly coordinated, and very well-conceived. While she thought that the General could come off as anally retentive at times, she also appreciated his desire to be exact, especially in this particular instance. When 12 balls were going to be in the air at one time it was a good idea to have each of them clearly marked. Then again, the general's balls were always clearly marked. She smiled. Jake would have liked that one. Similar to most Human males she knew, Jake's sense of humor hadn't progressed past middle school bathroom banter. That was ok though, he still was a keeper...

=================================================

Serial releases of the SEKTOR V Trilogy will continue to be posted here and on my dedicated website every Friday!

https://s3ktorv.wixsite.com/website

Also, follow me here on Wattpad and Twitter @SEKTOR_V for future releases and other updates!

e-mail: S3KTORV@gmail.com

If you enjoyed this serial release please consider giving it a vote.  :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.3K 2.3K 24
|WATTYS 2022 WINNER - HORROR| Shawn, a convicted criminal, never thought she'd see the sun again, let alone call another star system her home. When s...
6.6K 1K 37
❖ Interstellar pilot and ex-adventurer Alex Gallegos must keep their team safe on an icy moon as sentient storms threaten to repeat the tragedy that...
37.4K 1.4K 38
COMPLETE TRILOGY 🏆Wattys Award book 1 in portuguese version. Governing Idea: We will become them and then, they will become us. Trilogy story inspir...
376 11 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...