Chapter 17: Balls in the Air

Chapter 17: Balls in the air

The 246-mile journey from what used to be upstate New York to a secure position just outside the DC Zeta compound had taken longer than Resistance leadership had expected. General Asoban's optimistic 5-day prediction had managed to morph into an 8 and ½ day ordeal. Worse still, the Human cost just getting there was unacceptable. Twelve of the 110 souls that began the journey were no longer with them. This loss had an undeniably sobering and demoralizing effect on those who did survive. Cairo felt especially powerless since her highly touted skill set was rendered useless against the night-time drone attacks that ultimately accounted for 11 of the 12 deaths they had suffered. Her formidable telepathic and telekinetic abilities proved to be no match against high-powered, highly accurate, and rapidly moving flying AI assassins. While her feelings of guilt weren't rational, Cairo still felt responsible. She knew that without her presence there wouldn't be a mission at all. And by extension, 12 innocent people would still be alive today. She also realized that the mental torture she was inflicting upon herself was nothing more than circular logic. Unfortunately, feelings of guilt and rational thought rarely went hand in hand. And while her innate ability to control the external manifestations of her emotions was second nature to her, she knew that this particular ability would soon be put to the test given that the next phase of the operation would require her full attention at all times. As such, there would be no room whatsoever for mental or emotional weakness. Going forward, the one thing she could control was to do everything in her power to make sure that the lives already lost were not done so in vain.

The eight-plus days to go from post-civilization upstate NY to what used to be suburban DC was only the beginning for their caravan. From a tactical standpoint, she knew that this was a very intricate mission that would require two teams to be in place at different locations. Complicating matters further, both teams would need to remain hidden from Zeta-controlled artificial intelligent aircraft (AIA) at all times. As such, Resistance forces had to set up camp in areas of dense canopy in order to limit visual detection from Zeta air forces. Unfortunately, Cairo knew that natural cover on its own wouldn't be enough given the heat-sensing infrared capabilities associated with the AIA fleet. To counter this capability, they were using heat-shielding "blankets". These flexible IR cloaking devices, which were also used during their recent travels from New York, gave the wearer some sense of security which hopefully translated into additional rest for all camp members. Unfortunately, as was usually the case when it came to resources, demand exceeded supply. Still, Resistance leadership was doing everything they could to maximize their chances for survival over the 24h period they would need to fully complete the multi-stage mission.

The teams that were needed for the operation were set up at specific radial distances from the western boundary of the Zeta DC compound. The first team was established right on the western edge, exactly 1.5 miles from the closest Zeta outpost. This was the ground infiltration team. Terran and ET members who made up this group were very similar to old world Navy SEALs and front line marines. One big difference however was that these 22nd-century seals didn't receive much of the formal intense training and military resources that their 20th and 21st-century counterparts took for granted. Regardless, Cairo knew that this was the best Humanity could do at the moment and it simply had to be enough. What this team lacked technically they more than made up for in raw courage and determination. Many of the 22 Humans, Hybrids, and ETs who were set up at Camp Ground Zero, or simply CGZ, knew that their assigned mission was complex and high risk, especially given their limited numbers and physical resources. Still, at least on paper, their objectives were straightforward:

1. Successfully infiltrate the Zeta compound under the cover of night

2. Install the Rigel bio-weapon at tactically critical locations