His Smirk ||

By JadedRein

PART I ---> http://www.wattpad.com/story/75943-it-began-with-a-smirk Kale and Rein. Finally a couple. Finally... More

1 - The Boyfriend
3 - It's All Whose Fault?
4 - Bitter Liquid, Bitter Words
5 - Decisions of the Drunk
6 - Wake Up Call
7 - Under Control or Going Under?
8- Taking the Steps
9- Makeshift Family Fun
10- To Put Together a Puzzle You First Need Pieces
11- A Slew of Plans
12: Why?
13: Spoiled Brats
14: Too Much Talking
15: Miracle Drug
16: Connections
17- Letterman Jackets
18- Just What I Needed
19: Fast Spreading Words
20: Pushing Back
21: A Sky full of Rein
22- Weeding Out Lies
23: Taking Advantage
24: Game Changer
25: Doing it Wrong
26: What Friends Are For

2 - Unaccounted for Responses

85.4K 865 90
By JadedRein

I laughed shaking my head as Mike dripped the ice cream onto his legs for the fifth time since we’d started eating. “You can throw a football almost a hundred yards but you can’t keep ice cream in the cone and not on your pants?” I teased him lightly.

Mike gave a shy smile as he wiped it off of his jeans. Again. “Well sorry that I’m not as skilled of an icecream eater as you.” he stuck his tongue at me and I rolled my eyes but grinned nonetheless.

He’d gone into the bathroom to change into a pair of casual clothes while I’d ordered our ice creams for us. I had a feeling that he’d have to wash this pair the moment he got home with how much of the rocky road kept ending up on his pants instead of in his mouth. “Here.” I unfolded my napkin and set it over his leg. “Now your pants will be safe.”

“How thoughtful of you.” he smiled and shook his head slowly, looking over at me.

For a moment I didn’t realize what he was doing as I ate at my ice cream. My tongue ran over the sweet cold of the plain vanilla ice cream but it was oddly hard to enjoy it. The feeling of unease in my gut was making it too difficult. Finally I shifted my eyes from my icecream over to Mike who sat there, staring intently at me. “What?” I asked, pulling my mouth away from the cone. He didn’t answer. Just kept staring. I tilted my head to the side, wondering why he was just staring at me so obnoxiously. As I did a drip fell from the cone and straight onto my lap.

Mike broke out laughing and I shot him a slightly miffed gaze. He’d done it on purpose! “Jerk!” I huffed as I snatched up a napkin and blotted at the jeans I wore.

“Now who’s the messy one?” he asked and when I looked back to him mischievous smile caused me to smile in response.

“Whatever.” I grumbled, trying to look upset. But his cute slightly dimpled grin had caused a smile on my face that wouldn’t go away. “I still think you’re a jerk.”

“What?” he asked, batting his eyes innocently. He laughed again and once more I tried and failed to look mad. Finally I gave up on blotting at my jeans and returned my attention to the ice cream. We both sat there in the loud crowded ice cream shop just licking away at the cones, stealing little glances at each other.

Finally he broke the silence with, “So, who’s this boyfriend of yours?”  I was wondering when he’d get around to asking.

“Kale actually.”

The look on his face coupled with the caught off guard choking sound he made caused me to burst out laughing. He stopped mid lick staring wide eyed, jaw dropped slightly looking as though he just saw a ghost. For a long moment he sat staring at me with that shocked expression. His messy brown hair hanging in his eyes as he blinked slowly. I watched as he opened his mouth then closed it again. Okay… that reaction was not expected.

“Is something wrong with your ice cream?” I asked finally, wanting to break the stunned silence he’d left hanging in the air.

Suddenly realizing he’d been letting the icecream drip on him again he set it down on the counter. For a moment he wouldn’t make eye contact me and busied himself instead with wiping his hands on his already messy pants. “No,” he managed to get out before turning his eyes back to me, looking as though he’d just been put in a very uncomfortable situation. “It’s fine.”

I nodded slowly and set my ice cream down as well. “Are you okay?” I asked, eyeing him slowly.

For a long moment he sat silent just looking me in the eyes. “Well uh-“ he mumbled and looked away from me.

“Yes?” I urged him onwards.

“Isn’t Kale your-uh-“ again his voice faded off. Slowly his eyes found their way back to mine. “You’re dating Kale?” he finally asked.

I nodded slowly. Am I missing something here? I wondered as I gave a small ‘Yes.”

“Kale as in your brother?”

It was my turn to choke now as the breath I was taking got caught in my throat. Oh yeah! That’s right! Told him he was my brother. “Oh! No!” I managed to get out before erupting into a fit of coughs. Mike hesitantly patted my back, not wanting to hit me too hard but afraid not to just sit there without helping. Oh god am I an idiot! He must have thought I was some insane brother dating creepo!

Finally I calmed myself down and gave him a look of embarrassment. “No what?” he asked slowly sounding worried.

I shook my head furiously. “No no, he’s not my brother.” then as a look of utter confusion flashed across his face I felt the need to explain further. “Our parents were engaged. He was supposed to be my stepbrother. But they never got married.”

“Oh. Okay.” He muttered regaining his composure. “So you guys aren’t related then?”

I shook my head. “No, no we’re not. We just live in the same house.”

He gave a small nod, relief washing over his features. “Right then.” I watched as he rubbed his hands on his pants once more and looked down at where his icecream sat in the paper bowl next to mine. “Well. All right then.” Mike said for lack of anything else to say.

“Yeah.” I shifted uncomfortably. Even though Kale and I weren’t yet related one day we would be. Our parents would eventually get married. It was a fact that they weren’t shy about. Just thinking about it made me worry once more. What will happen once I turn eighteen? I found myself wondering again, even though I didn’t want to.

Sensing how uncomfortable I was Mike change the conversation for me. “I was surprised when I saw you at the game.” I looked to him and he gave me a little smile. “Had kinda given up on being able to see you again.”

“Sorry I never called or anything.” I returned his smile with my own. “We did leave on a bit of a sour note didn’t we?”

He laughed and nodded. For a moment we were quiet, both thinking back to the party that had ended up with Kale and the guys starting a fight. “Well, there’s a party going on tonight at my place. You know, victory party for our win and all. You’d be more than welcome to come and make up for the last disaster if you’d like.”

I chuckled and shook my head.. “Don’t really think that Kale would approve. And bringing him would be an asinine idea.”

Mike laughed softly with me before agreeing. “Yeah I guess not.”

We finished our icecreams chatting lightly about school and loaded back up into his car. The drive home consisted of a breakdown of the movie 300 and a nice in depth conversation on Zac Effron. By the time we pulled up into my long driveway the conversation had wound back down and instead a light silence hung in the air. “Thanks for the icecream.” I thanked him with a smile as he turned down the music that we’d ended up letting fill the lack of talking.

“I enjoyed it. We should do it again sometime. You-“ Mike paused and his face tightened. “Someone looks upset.”

I turned following his gaze to see a very upset Kale approaching the car. Shit. “I’ll call you later or something.” I muttered quickly getting out of the car and closing the door behind me. “Hey Kale.” I greeted him, trying on my best welcoming smile I could manage on such short notice.

His eyes narrowed and he walked straight past me and up to the car. “Get out.” He demanded staring down at Mike through his open car window.

“Kale stop it.” I breathed coming up behind him and setting a hand on his shoulder.

I was knocked backwards as Kale stuck his hand back to make me stay behind him. He was too focused on Mike to notice as I stumbled back and nearly fell to the ground over my own feet. “Get out now.” he repeated harshly down into the car.

Not now. Not when he’s in a bad mood. I can’t let him try to fight. I forced my way between Kale and the car, backing up against the door and sticking my arms out. “Kale. Enough. Let’s just go inside and talk about this.”

He scoffed, his eyes narrowing on me. “If you don’t want to see this, get your ass inside.” he set his hand on my arm and tried to force me to the side. But I wouldn’t give in and held my ground. Kale’s eyes grew angrier and he pulled harder as I struggled not to move. “I said get in the fucking house.”

With one more yank I was peeled from the car and came crashing into Kale as he snapped his arms around my waist and held me to him, my arms pinned to my sides. “Just let go.” I huffed and struggled against his hold. “You’re over reacting.”

“Over reacting would be dragging you in the house then coming back out here to put him in his place.” he smarted back, his arms tightening around me.

At this Mike finally spoke up. “I’d advise you let her go.” he said, his voice flat and even.

Kale snickered and I winced at the sound. How could his perfect voice always manage to get so utterly hateful so easily? “I’d like to see you make me.”

To my displeasure Mike opened the door and climbed out, a smug smile on his face. “I already beat you once today Pharkerson, I don’t mind doing it a second time.” he said, shutting his car door behind him. Kale let me go and pushed me to the side as he stepped up towards Mike.

In a flash I lurched forward and forced myself between the two setting one hand on either of the boys chest. This is so stupid. “Okay there is absolutely no reason to fight here.” I said as calmly as I could.

To my surprise Kale set his hands on my shoulders and turned me to face him. “This isn’t your concern.” He said strictly before kissing my forehead and trying to force me to the side once more.

“I’m-not-moving.” I got out through clenched teeth as I refused once more to be moved.

Suddenly a second pair of hands landed on me, this time on my waist, and I found myself being pulled backwards. The heel of my sneaker caught on the pavement and I nearly fell onto my ass as I stumbled, losing my balance. My back came crashing into Mike’s hard chest as he stabilized me, his hands still on my waist. “Rein, leave this to me.” he said, his voice suddenly firm.

My eyes widened and I could do nothing to fight back as both Kale and Mike nudged me to the side. “I’m the one who’s going to have to tend to your wounds!” I called out watching helplessly as the two lunged at each other. Boys are fucking idiots. I should become a lesbian and never have to deal with this again. I thought angrily as they began to attack each other, swinging wild punches.

It pissed me off, standing there and watching unable to do anything. All I could do was flinch every time their fists connected with each other. There was no point to this fight whatsoever yet they carried on. Neither wanted to be the one to give in. Why is Kale so over possessive? He’s the one that could have any girl he wants so why fight so hard for the one he already has? I watched as Mike suddenly swung roughly, catching Kale square in the jaw. I slammed my eyes shut as I heard him fall towards the ground.

By the time I opened them Mike was already ontop of him and swinging away. “Okay that is enough.” I growled reaching down to pull Mike off from on top of Kale. I get that he’s sticking up for me but this is taking it way too fucking far! He straddled Kale’s waist pinning him still as he landed a number of punches on his face.

Mike hesitated, turning to look up towards me. Kale took his opening and shot his fist upwards landing a harsh punch straight on Mike’s nose resulting in a sickening crunch. I gasped and lunged myself onto the boys. I’d had it with the damned fight. “Stop now!” I bellowed as I struggled to force the pair apart. The moment I managed to get between the two of the ceased fighting, their eyes scanning me to see if I’d gotten hurt like the last time I’d tried to intervene in one of their little fights.

“If either of you move a muscle I’m gone.” I hissed, my eyes darting back and forth to both of the boys. “I mean it. I’ll leave you two to kill each other.”

No words came from either of them and I took their labored breathing as an agreement. I relaxed my defensive stance and lowered my arms to my sides before looking to see what damage had been done. My eyes instantly landed on Kale and I scanned him slowly. He looked like he’d just been hit across the face with a two by four. “Kale-“ I started and stepped towards him but he tore his gaze away from mine.

“I’m fine.” he said gruffly.

My eyes scanned him further and let a low breath out from between my lips. He wasn’t hurt anything serious, just a few nice bruises that would hurt as soon as his adrenaline wore off. So I peeled my eyes from his and found where Mike leaned against his car gripping onto his nose, blood dripping down in between his fingers. “Oh shit.” I mumbled, stepping up towards him. “Are you all right Mike?”

“Yeah.” he said in a barely audible mumble with a nod of his head, still clutching his face.

My eyes narrowed on him and I shook my head. Boys and trying to be tough. Idiotic. “You’re bleeding. You’re not fine.” I pointed out and took a step towards him.

“I broke my nose.” he admitted sounding muffled and funny.

I sighed, my suspicions confirmed, and pulled off my shirt revealing my light pink cami undershirt. “Here hold this to it.” I said as I balled up the shirt and handed it to him. He did as I said without hesitation.

“Thanks.” he grunted as he pushed my shirt up against his face and peered over the fabric towards me with apologetic gaze.

“Come on.” Kale hissed roughly as his hand latched around my forearm. With a violent pull he took a step towards the house.

I shook my head and pulled away from him utterly tired of his bullshit. “Kale, you broke his nose.” I stated the obvious and took a step back from him.

“So?”

“I’m fine.” Mike mumbled shaking his head.

I ignored Mike’s comment and gave Kale an annoyed look. “So?” I repeated slowly. “So he obviously can’t drive like this!”

Kale shrugged and his features tightened once more. “So?” he asked again.

“So,” I paused, angry that he was still being an asshole about it all, “I’m driving him to the hospital. They need to at least straighten it out. I’d do it myself but….” I looked from Mike to Kale “but I’ve never done it on anyone but myself and it hurts like a bitch.”

Mike laughed at this and Kale and I both looked over to him surprised. “You’re crazy.” He said through the shirt and I could tell from his eyes that he was smiling at me.

I rolled my eyes and looked back to Kale who was still just staring at Mike. “Kale either you can come with or stay here.” I said looking him in the eyes waiting for a reply. When he didn’t look to me or say anything I groaned. “I’m not going to stand around while you glare at each other. I’ll drive to the hospital and take a cab back if you’re just going to be an ass about this.”

“Whatever.” He grumbled and marched into the house muttering swears under his breath without any more looks to me.

I sighed knowing full that we would most likely fight the moment I came back. “Come on lets go.” I said holding out my hand for Mike’s keys. He obeyed wordlessly and I took them from his outstretched hand before climbing into the drivers seat. He just had a bad day I thought, trying to will myself not to be mad at Kale. Just go easy on him. I let out a slow breath and pulled down the long driveway with Mike sitting silently in the passenger seat gripping my now blood drenched shirt to his nose.

      ~-+-~-+-~

     Meanwhile-

 Brendon stretched out across his bed, groaning loudly as his muscles ached in response. He turned his eyes to his football uniform and smiled secretly to himself. "I wonder how Rein would look all geared up."

      ~-+-~-+-~

[[ Well looky here - ^^ So I decided on having a quote/action from someone who doesn't have a POV in the chapter! There's a grand plan behind it now and it'll make sense as the story goes on. Some of them may make you laugh.  Some roll your eyes. Others cry profusely. Okay maybe not the last. But it'll give insight to characters. Anywho love <3 ~ Jade ]]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.9K 694 31
I have entered this book in the Watty Awards so please vote for it! Thanks Love you guys! :) When Carlie starts her senior year of high school, she e...
55.7K 2.9K 83
"Can we stop feeling guilty, Amelia? Guilty for all the things that weren't our fault." "We can Leo. Maybe someday." "That day isn't far off Amelia...
789K 1K 5
Finding relationships is easy... keeping them is the real game. Ellie Harrison is a shy, introverted senior at Santa Cruz High School. Her brother Ja...
510K 15.7K 49
"Kara, you're my best friend right?" "Umm yeah?" "You'd do anything for me, right?" "As long as it doesn't involve 10 years in prison, yeah." "Be my...